Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Darth Windu posted:

How the f*rt do I beat this f*rting Wild Hunt guy, Nilfer or whatever his name is. His axe swings are way too wide to dodge and he always attacks right after I get close. Does Spectre Oil have any affect?

Ask the Dark Souls thread.

Always dodge left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
The only thing that kills me about the combat in this has already been touched on a lot, and that is the range in which you can effectively dodge.

I'm a defender of W1 combat only due to the preparations of oils and potions being life and death, and the animation combos for sword and steel light, heavy, and multi were awesome (as well as flipping over dudes)

Witcher 2 started off as worse combat for me but eventually was awesome...aside from the limited parries. It just didn't fit!

Now, it is so awesome to sidestep a few swings, have an archer put down two of his buddies with arrows in their backs, and then bat another arrow into his chest. Cutting people in two, causing general chaos, the combat at times is cinematic.

But yeah, if you draw the swords yourself, it should put you into combat mode.

Also Comte, down the road if you guys can make a mode where you have longer lasting potions and oils like the last two games, but meditation is required (along with the mats), that would be amazing. I do enjoy the more accessible system, but...I love the preparation for combat :shepface:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tempus Thales posted:

I keep getting Dialogs that offer me to use Delusion but at Lvl 2... how do you level up the Signs?
Put points into the Delusion skill under the Signs tab of the Character section of your main menu. Its the first skill under the Axii sign, and has 3 levels to improve. Most skills have either 5 or 3 levels, with the "general" skills having one. Just put another point into the same skill like you did when you first bought a skill.

e: And yeah, if you're going to take 2 of my 4 d-pad slots for sword controls, they should put you into combat mode as soon as they're drawn. If you're not going to give me that control, let me use the d-pad to quick-select more potions or something. And for the love of god, what's with the "pockets" tab? Just give me 4 "inventory" slots and if I want to use one for the magic lamp or something, let me do that.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 28, 2015

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Is Comte a polish guy working at CDPR?

Can I get your number I have like 200 ideas.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
Protip: Whenever you see an Inn, stock up on Cherry/Mandrake Cordial and Redanian Herbal. Also empty bottles whenever you find them.

Those are needed to make White Gull, and you're going to need a shitload of White Gull to upgrade your potions/bombs/oils to superior level.

Sankis posted:

I was wandering around doing a quest when I saw a guy with an ! on the map under attack from witch hunters. I saved him and he gave me a key with no explanation. Anyone know what it's for?

edit: this was in novigrad

Loot their bodies and read the note.

Begemot posted:

It's just a random drop and I don't think there are a lot of golems around so you need to get lucky. I got one from the golem in Phillipa's lair.

There's a golem in her lair? I only saw a fire elemental. Are their multiple lairs?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Idea no. 34 stop giving me oil diagrams for oils I needed 9 hours ago when I was fighting chorts and hordes of neckers :mad:

Idea no. 9 give us a separate tab for alchemical ingredients, and a sort option. Somehow give us an indication that lets us know that the herbs we have are used by potion and oil diagrams we have. That way we don't collect All The Plants because "we might need them later." My inventory looks like a Colorado grow house.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 28, 2015

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Idea no. 34 stop giving me oil diagrams for oils I needed 9 hours ago when I was fighting chorts and hordes of neckers :mad:

Idea no. 9 give us a separate tab for alchemical ingredients, and a sort option. Somehow give us an indication that lets us know that the herbs we have are used by potion and oil diagrams we have. That way we don't collect All The Plants because "we might need them later." My inventory looks like a Colorado grow house.

What the gently caress do I sell?! I almost can't carry anymore poo poo! I'm losing control of my life!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Knowing how this game works I'm sure killing Junior is gonna bite me in the rear end later but I don't care. What a piece of poo poo. And even beyond Geralt's in story reason, I was gonna kill him the moment I saw all the horrible poo poo he did to all the women that were lying around dead in his hideout :stonk:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

bobthethurd posted:

What the gently caress do I sell?! I almost can't carry anymore poo poo! I'm losing control of my life!

Get the +100 weight saddle bag in Novigrad. It's sold by the merchant in The King of Beggars hideout. 1000 coins though.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Beat the game, loved every minute of it. What a loving experience.

I did mess up on the statuette quests with Triss though, anyone do them and can tell me what happens in them?

Burns
May 10, 2008

I've started to get some crashes today. One during a conversation and now one during combat.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Alright, gently caress it, I'll come back to the Shrieker later. Probably under-leveled for it anyway.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You mean the feast for Bran's wake? I did a fist fight there. There was no Hjarlmar. In the feast where the bears were I didn't see any exclamation points and I scoured the room before I went on.

Then you missed it because, yes, it was at the feast with the bears. The three berskerers that kill all the claimants to the throne of Skellige? There was 100% a fight there.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Shrieker's a cockatrice - use draconid oil, keep up Quen and shoot it down with the crossbow if it goes airborne, then attack from the side and roll away when it turns towards you. Use Swallow if it hits you to stop the bleediing effect.

Macaluso posted:

Knowing how this game works I'm sure killing Junior is gonna bite me in the rear end later but I don't care. What a piece of poo poo. And even beyond Geralt's in story reason, I was gonna kill him the moment I saw all the horrible poo poo he did to all the women that were lying around dead in his hideout :stonk:

Dude, even in-story Geralt of all people throws out an angry swear when he sees that. And no, there's no strings attached to this one - sometimes, you really do make the world a better place by removing a particularily vile piece of poo poo.

Magni fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 28, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

even being overleveled on Hard Mode 30 hours in is loving breaking me. Like every loving thing just kills me in 3 hits and giant mobs piss me off to no end. Not even Bloodborne pissed me off this much because at least I could kill things when I was leveled up. Here, everything is just a loving damage sponge and it sucks. I don't even know how difficult Normal mode is but jesus christ anything is better than this poo poo

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.

bobthethurd posted:

So is it just me or does this game seem to take a step back (and I mean a big one, since this was part of the core of how Witcher 1+2 hosed up the player or let the player trivialize it) with its alchemy system?

The other game was pretty brutal, walking out of Flotsam. It made you stop and take stock of every possible resource you could bring back to that fight to win it with extreme prejudice.

Traps, bombs, oils and all were very good, each took resources to create and forethought to use, and you couldn't just walk into a fight and stop to chug potions in the middle of it. Potions at the very least could be a strategic choice. After reading about the thing you are going to kill you had to decide which potions to use and then find the resources to brew them and sit down before you fight and drink them. It's a game with a good interface for combat, but rather difficult combat if you didn't trivialize it with clever bullshit and strategizing.

In Wild Hunt, you just pause and double click on some of them in your inventory and keep thunderbolt and swallow on your hotbar so you can pop them whenever you see the need or opportunity. They had a real improvement with the whole crime scene investigation everywhere that REALLY would have been nice paired with Witcher 2's difficulty and ability to reward you for making the right strategic choices. Now Geralt spells out exactly what's going down for you! There's no strategic depth. The only strategy I have walking into a fight is "do I need to rest or go buy more hard liquor to turn into consumables, then rest?" My tactic so far is to bait them into attacking and backstep when they wind up, then riposte. Which is, granted, a really good tactic anytime, but... This is The Witcher? With one tactic to win? Either of the other games would literally dismember Geralt for the kind of play I get away with here.

I AM loving the game. I'm just curious, have I not hit the real Dark Souls yet or am I missing something?

Quoting this because it happened ten pages ago at the bottom and I got no answers.

And seriously, is it ok to sell some of this crafting and alchemy poo poo, I'm at like 47 weight out of 60 with all the junk on me. People say money in this game is easy, but I've not found the trick yet I guess.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Is there a relible way to make shield dudes drop them? Loading screen tips says depleting their stamina does it but they just turtle up or shield bash regardless of an empty bar.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Magni posted:

Shrieker's a cockatrice - use draconid oil, keep up Quen and shoot it down with the crossbow if it goes airborne, then atack from the side and roll away when it turns towards you. Use Swallow if it hits you to stop the bleediing effect.

QUEN, poo poo, I always forget to use that. Was trying to use igni which was doing pretty good at draining its HP, but that bleeding was just killing me.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Magni posted:

Dude, even in-story Geralt of all people throws out an angry swear when he sees that. And no, there's no strings attached to this one - sometimes, you really do make the world a better place by removing a particularily vile piece of poo poo.

Plus, that decision actually even has good repercussions further down the line instead of bad ones, for once!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

even being overleveled on Hard Mode 30 hours in is loving breaking me. Like every loving thing just kills me in 3 hits and giant mobs piss me off to no end. Not even Bloodborne pissed me off this much because at least I could kill things when I was leveled up. Here, everything is just a loving damage sponge and it sucks. I don't even know how difficult Normal mode is but jesus christ anything is better than this poo poo

Turn it down. It's really more fun. I really don't think the combat is tight enough to warrant playing on hard. Hard is just cheap deaths out the rear end.

So, I activated the quest where I'm supposed to meet Hatori after dark then didn't show because I am wayyy under leveled. Now he's giving me crap about not showing and the only option was to promise him I'd show up. I'm not going to screw myself and fail it because of this right? It's suggested level 26 and I'm level 10.

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.
Parry counter the shield dues, smack them once, then wait for them to attack again.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Playing on the second option: Story AND sword, I think, and it's pretty loving easy aside from the five wolves jumping at you and stunning the hell out of you if you aren't abusing signs to stun them back.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Caidin posted:

Is there a relible way to make shield dudes drop them? Loading screen tips says depleting their stamina does it but they just turtle up or shield bash regardless of an empty bar.

Just use Axii.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Infinity Gaia posted:

Just use Axii.

That, and the Strong-style's "Hold me down for a stronger hit with stamina drain :)" thing you unlock smashes THROUGH shields. Its sweet. More easy for them to dodge though by backstepping.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bobthethurd posted:

Parry counter the shield dues, smack them once, then wait for them to attack again.

Playing on the second option: Story AND sword, I think, and it's pretty loving easy aside from the five wolves jumping at you and stunning the hell out of you if you aren't abusing signs to stun them back.

honestly the enemies would be easier if not for the fact they blindside you in huge groups and mobs quite often. it's just really lovely that even at level 10 or so, it only takes a few hits to keel me over. I'll probably just drop the difficulty even though it tells me I'd forfeit an achievement but who cares

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

Just use Axii.

Dandywalken posted:

That, and the Strong-style's "Hold me down for a stronger hit with stamina drain :)" thing you unlock smashes THROUGH shields. Its sweet. More easy for them to dodge though by backstepping.

Igni alternate also works quite well.:supaburn:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

bobthethurd posted:

Quoting this because it happened ten pages ago at the bottom and I got no answers.

And seriously, is it ok to sell some of this crafting and alchemy poo poo, I'm at like 47 weight out of 60 with all the junk on me. People say money in this game is easy, but I've not found the trick yet I guess.
Go horseracing at Crow's Nest and you'll get a free saddle for +30 carry weight. And I haven't needed to sell crafting poo poo: pretty much every crafting piece weighs 0.01/per so unless you've been scouring the countryside for plants and robbing every peasant for all they're worth, you're not going to make an appreciable difference in your weight by selling crafting poo poo. Sell hides and gear you're not using though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fosson posted:

I'm a defender of W1 combat only due to the preparations of oils and potions being life and death, and the animation combos for sword and steel light, heavy, and multi were awesome (as well as flipping over dudes)

Oh man I completely forgot about that! In Witcher 1 when you were directly in front of a locked-on enemy and rolled into them you would flip over them. They should put that back in!

I also preferred the alchemy system from Witcher 1 and 2 because it made each "min-boss" into an experience. Witcher 3's system is okay but you miss out on the experience of asking around to find out what kind of thing you're fighting, reading the bestiary, collecting materials for the right potions and oils, getting all prepped and then having ~10 real time minutes to take on this monster that would be impossible if you hadn't put in all the work.

NESguerilla posted:

Turn it down. It's really more fun. I really don't think the combat is tight enough to warrant playing on hard. Hard is just cheap deaths out the rear end.

So, I activated the quest where I'm supposed to meet Hatori after dark then didn't show because I am wayyy under leveled. Now he's giving me crap about not showing and the only option was to promise him I'd show up. I'm not going to screw myself and fail it because of this right? It's suggested level 26 and I'm level 10.

I was thinking about turning it down but then I got better at it. I was smacking my head against fights refusing to use potions and using signs and bombs only when I remembered to. Then I started using signs, bombs, and potions regularly and lately I've been going to heal after fighting large groups only to realize I didn't take a scratch.

The biggest thing that isn't explained at all about fights on Hard is positioning. Geralt is incredibly mobile; if you are surrounded by mobs you have no one to blame but yourself. If you're being stun-locked by drowners or wolves you are not moving enough or not moving intelligently. Pay attention, stay on the edges of the group. Some enemies are fast but you can literally move 15 feet with one button tap.

The only real problem with the combat system is how easy it is to attack the wrong enemy. The soft lock-on is very slippery.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 28, 2015

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Igni alternate also works quite well.:supaburn:

I play Zelda. That should burn the goddamn shields away. :colbert:

I have a pretty full junk tab, that may be why I'm so heavy. I'll take a look at that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

honestly the enemies would be easier if not for the fact they blindside you in huge groups and mobs quite often. it's just really lovely that even at level 10 or so, it only takes a few hits to keel me over. I'll probably just drop the difficulty even though it tells me I'd forfeit an achievement but who cares

Sword fights are serious business, combat is supposed to be deadly. It only takes you a few hits to kill the enemies that show up in huge groups. Geralt is a duellist not a tank.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

The biggest thing that isn't explained at all about fights on Hard is positioning. Geralt is incredibly mobile; if you are surrounded by mobs you have no one to blame but yourself. If you're being stun-locked by drowners or wolves you are not moving enough or not moving intelligently. Pay attention, stay on the edges of the group. Some enemies are fast but you can literally move 15 feet with one button tap.

The problem with the combat is that it wants to be like other games but the frames of certain attacks and dodges will never be as good as the enemies, and it's doubly frustrating when they do more damage/you do less as the difficulty level gets ramped up. I know people will say "oh but you have to use you signs and bombs and everything" but the thing is, none of it means jack poo poo when you're still facing damage sponge enemies and get locked into constantly rolling around like a retard just to engage.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

I think I saw something earlier about taking a certain quest(s) in Novigrad causes you to automatically fail older side quests. Can anyone tell me when/if that happens so I can avoid it? I looked for it, but this thread moves insanely fast.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh man I completely forgot about that! In Witcher 1 when you were directly in front of a locked-on enemy and rolled into them you would flip over them. They should put that back in!

I also preferred the alchemy system from Witcher 1 and 2 because it made each "min-boss" into an experience. Witcher 3's system is okay but you miss out on the experience of asking around to find out what kind of thing you're fighting, reading the bestiary, collecting materials for the right potions and oils, getting all prepped and then having ~10 real time minutes to take on this monster that would be impossible if you hadn't put in all the work.

I was thinking about turning it down but then I got better at it. I was smacking my head against fights refusing to use potions and using signs and bombs only when I remembered to. Then I started using signs, bombs, and potions regularly and lately I've been going to heal after fighting large groups only to realize I didn't take a scratch.

The only real problem with the combat system is how easy it is to attack the wrong enemy. The soft lock-on is very slippery.

Yeah since I've gotten better at it I've debated whether or not it was a good idea to bump it down, but between the crappy lock on and enemies I didn't know were there one shotting after jumping at me from off camera I just figured it was for the best. Plus, if I feel like a challenge there's always high level monsters wandering around.

If the lock on were better and the load times weren't so long I'd probably have stuck with it. Just felt like a pacing killer more than anything to me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Huh, just got the Full Crew trophy but I didn't get help from Djikstra or Emyr. I was kind of expecting Djikstra not to help because I didn't let Triss get tortured, and thus lost his money, but does he not send you aid either way? Also just figured I'd not reacted to the Emperor properly for him to agree to help.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

just did the griffon fight but my xbow didn't seem to auto target the monster even though i had him targeted. i had to manually aim at him to hit, is this normal or am i doing it wrong?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

just did the griffon fight but my xbow didn't seem to auto target the monster even though i had him targeted. i had to manually aim at him to hit, is this normal or am i doing it wrong?

Even when you're locked on it can still miss. In fact I've never had it hit unless a flying monster was either not moving or coming towards me.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Wreath of Barbs posted:

I think I saw something earlier about taking a certain quest(s) in Novigrad causes you to automatically fail older side quests. Can anyone tell me when/if that happens so I can avoid it? I looked for it, but this thread moves insanely fast.

Pretty sure that's in reference to getting Cleaver's help on killing a certain Whoreson Junior. You simply get a gang of his dwarves helping you during the assault, or not. It's titled "Gangs of Novigrad" or something.

I have yet to truly fail a quest, I wouldn't worry about it too much. This game seems pretty user friendly in that sense.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pellisworth posted:

Pretty sure that's in reference to getting Cleaver's help on killing a certain Whoreson Junior. You simply get a gang of his dwarves helping you during the assault, or not. It's titled "Gangs of Novigrad" or something."

I have yet to truly fail a quest yet, I wouldn't worry about it too much. This game seems pretty user friendly in that sense.

Oh cool, I wondered what that was about. I'm glad I failed that then, it was a lot cooler going in there swords a-blazin on my own.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Sword fights are serious business, combat is supposed to be deadly. It only takes you a few hits to kill the enemies that show up in huge groups. Geralt is a duellist not a tank.

I've fought packs of level -2/3 opponents who take a lot of hits to kill (on death march), 5 wraith fight in NML was still the hardest fight in the game.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Pellisworth posted:

Pretty sure that's in reference to getting Cleaver's help on killing a certain Whoreson Junior. You simply get a gang of his dwarves helping you during the assault, or not. It's titled "Gangs of Novigrad" or something.

I have yet to truly fail a quest, I wouldn't worry about it too much. This game seems pretty user friendly in that sense.

Great, thanks. I just wanted to make sure I wrapped up as much as possible before taking whatever quest cut off others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

The problem with the combat is that it wants to be like other games but the frames of certain attacks and dodges will never be as good as the enemies, and it's doubly frustrating when they do more damage/you do less as the difficulty level gets ramped up. I know people will say "oh but you have to use you signs and bombs and everything" but the thing is, none of it means jack poo poo when you're still facing damage sponge enemies and get locked into constantly rolling around like a retard just to engage.

The only damage-sponge enemies I've faced are mini-bosses and they're only damage sponges when they're higher level than me. (I'm on Blood and Broken Bones) I don't know what you're complaining about with regard to dodge frames; there's a skill that will make you invincible during dodge animations. If you want to do more damage use the upgraded versions of the right oils, sharpen your swords before the fight, use upgraded potions, find out what bombs and signs it's weak to and spam those. If you don't have a red mutagen slotted with three red skills do that ASAP for a flat 30% damage boost. Monsters are supposed to be hard, you're supposed to have to put effort into preparing for those fights. If you just don't want to dodge and roll then I don't know what to tell you, but I don't use roll very often. I find it's only really useful against large groups or monsters with a long reach.

What other games are you comparing this to where player damage and monster HP don't scale with difficulty level?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 28, 2015