Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
What in the hell and hootenanny is jump scouting?

Also what are the best key binds for scouts n knives and surfing? I think I used to do middle mouse forward bound to jump but I can't remember if I used any others

Pookum fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Pookum posted:

What in the hell and hootenanny is jump scouting?

Jump Scouting refers to the fact that the Scout/SSG is perfectly accurate at the very top of a jump. You can use this to just continually jump and try to headshot someone from a very long distance away--I've seen people commonly use it when peeking apartments at B site on Mirage from the truck.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Sitting Bull posted:

lol i saw a pic somebody said was turk when they went to lan. wasn't supposed to be a sick burn or anything. just chatting.

please post better

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
welp somehow I'm LEM now and I'm getting poo poo on

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

This is why I don't play much anymore

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

I like how the fish will swim outside of the "glass" and then back in.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
10mb patch just dropped, maybe it fixed some thiahahahahaha

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL

Garfu posted:

welp somehow I'm LEM now and I'm getting poo poo on

are you playing with 5? if not you'll get some fake eagles on your team

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

grinding chickens for my ssg challenge

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I have never lost this many times in a row

I lost like 6 times back to back twice and haven't ranked down yet

Anyway, resort is pretty nice. Have yet to comp on zoo and rails

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
So overwatch reviews are amusing. Wish you could report earlier rather than watching the whole thing sometimes though.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

EvilElmo posted:

So overwatch reviews are amusing. Wish you could report earlier rather than watching the whole thing sometimes though.

You can open up the demo ui and turn it to 16x, or just click near the end and it'll freeze for a bit and then jump to the end.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013
I tried to play a bit of CSGO last night to drop and sell some cases, but it killed my GTX560 Ti. :smith:

I guess the good part is now I've got a decent excuse to get a GTX970.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
People are mad at the update not necessarily because of what's in the update, but rather what wasn't in the update. There was this idea that CS:GO wasn't going to be the new hat simulator, and that the core of the game wouldn't change too much.

I don't even have a problem with dumb CoD ranks, skins, XP and this garbage, so long as it doesn't stand in the way of actually improving the game. But when you look at what's wrong in the game, and then you look at their lovingly crafted and voice-acted Operation shite you have to wonder how much of a time sink this stuff really is.

I can't deny this policy has brought them loads of new players, which is cool except when it crashes everything. But it feels like the dev and support behind DotA 2 is still in a completely different league. CS:GO still seems like its mostly catered to by a handful of people that hasn't scaled with the popularity of the game at all. They need some balance expert or something to just set a real agenda to work towards.

It was on reddit recently that the devs have acknowledged a hitbox issue and are now working on it, one (of several) known to most good players since the beta of CS:GO. But only now is there any action being taken. It's nuts.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
Exp and ranks own. But Zoo is horrible, so I don't know.
I'm hoping for a metal gear:esque story in the operations to come.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Skiant posted:

I tried to play a bit of CSGO last night to drop and sell some cases, but it killed my GTX560 Ti. :smith:

I guess the good part is now I've got a decent excuse to get a GTX970.

*Warning: I dont really know what Im talking about*

CSGO is CPU dependent, updating your processor is probably going to help more than a new GC.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

bpower posted:

CSGO is CPU dependent, updating your processor is probably going to help more than a new GC.

A gtx 970 is a baller GPU and even the smallest of excuses to buy it is valid.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

bpower posted:

more accurately, CSGO is more CPU dependent than other modern games, especially since most players actively sacrifice extraneous graphics quality settings for better framerate. however, upgrading from a 560ti to a 970 will give you a larger performance boost than upgrading your CPU, unless you're running like a pentium 4 or something stupid like that. if you have a reasonably modern intel core i3/5/7 or even a phenom, you should be perfectly fine to upgrade your GPU. especially if it stopped working.

i have a 970 paired to a FX-8350, and i pull just over 200 FPS with everything maxed out, which is actually kinda annoying because my card has some nasty coil whine at that framerate (which, by the way, is the only complaint i have about the 970).

edit: basically, CSGO is only CPU dependent if you turn off all of the eye candy. if you're like me and like silly stuff like anti-aliasing or other games, than a GPU upgrade is pretty awesome. if you're a 1.6 pro who plays on 4-3 stretched with all the settings turned down so you can get 300 FPS on your sweet 144hz monitor, then ignore everything and go get a stupidly overpowered CPU (although i am fairly sure that the source engine is still very poorly optimized for anything more than 3 threads, so anything beyond an i5-4690k is probably still overkill.)

also this operation blows but at least i got a case drop when they were still $6, so that's cool. maybe i'll luck out and get a dragon lore or something dumb. (or just like 12 xm1014 bone machines...)

after playing zoo i was pretty sure it was the worst map i've seen, but then i played resort. holy poo poo that map. they should have taken some of the connectors out of rail and put them in resort. i don't understand how the t's are supposed to even remotely rotate between sites, and with how open mid is it's either rush through the side door, which is a tiny little death checkpoint on both sites, or its give the cts all the intel in the world.

zoo is just dumb because its so loving windy. hello a million p90s, how are you? also, i love the sniper balconies that basically are positioned to just fight each other and nothing else. this isnt even the fun kind of dumb like insertion or workout.

i guess agency is back, which is cool because agency is maybe the best hostie map. haven't played log or rail in competitive yet, but pretty much all of the new maps suffer from too much verticality in their design, which leads to impossible to decipher sound cues.

also log looks like garbage. i loaded in and thought i was in UT 2004. its cool that the mapper kinda tried something different but holy crap does the scenery look bad, especially when you compare it to a map that plays to the strengths of the source engine like season or even zoo. the aquarium looks darn good when you're fighting through it, even with the really ridiculous fish bugs.

okay. /endsperg.

The Blue Caboose fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 28, 2015

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

man the hackers that kicked me... I watched the match since it popped in my recent matches tab. Holy poo poo the guy just straight on aimbotted with the scout and deagle and popped heads, and still died 7 times in 15 rounds (before the other team surrendered). Is there really no way to report these bitches after the fact?

It wasn't even the loving guy with the wallhack also, I think they were a 4 man premade of hacks/griefs/boosters.

e; also which new maps are non-poo poo tier? I typically play cache and dust2 cause I solo and you can execute strats with just one smoke on those at my level

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 28, 2015

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Uh, what's the point of going for 200-300 frames per second instead of limiting framerate to something close to your monitor's refresh rate? Aren't you just wasting power and generating more heat and noise for no gain?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
But the number in the corner goes higher :(

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

Buck Turgidson posted:

Uh, what's the point of going for 200-300 frames per second instead of limiting framerate to something close to your monitor's refresh rate? Aren't you just wasting power and generating more heat and noise for no gain?

200+ FPS feels WAY smoother than 60 even on a 60Hz monitor. I think it's because each frame the monitor shows has been rendered closer to your monitor refresh, so what you get on screen is more "up to date" by up to 16 ms (the time between monitor refreshes). This effect should go away with adaptive sync tech like nVidia's G-SYNC.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

bpower posted:

The GC is totally wrecked now, it won't even display windows' desktop without terrible graphical glitches and crashes, so changing GPU isn't really a choice I can make.
On top of that, I do enjoy other games, and my current CPU is a core i7 2600K, so I think I don't really have any blocker right there.

vehk
Jan 31, 2014
Anyone else feel like Log is inspired by Durotar and the Redridge mountains? That's the first thing I thought of when I spawned out in some dirt field next to a pile of logs.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Buck Turgidson posted:

csgo feels very choppy if fps_max is set to anything but 0 for me. It's as if it will render up to the maximum frames per second and then just stop and wait for the next second or something equally ridiculous. Watching the task manager shows wild swings in CPU usage which seems to confirm that it renders all the frames in fits and starts.

Letting it render as many frames as possible feels a hundred times better in terms of playability.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

vehk posted:

Anyone else feel like Log is inspired by Durotar and the Redridge mountains? That's the first thing I thought of when I spawned out in some dirt field next to a pile of logs.

you can't be serious?

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
The new knife sounds SUCKS!!!! AARRGH

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Icept posted:

you can't be serious?

Resort looks like a rip of an area from Dead Island to me. And some previous operation maps have been pretty much straight ports of L4D maps.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I had the exact opposite experience with max_fps. If I had it set to a high value, the game would actually stutter whenever there were sudden changes in framerate, even if it was still well above the monitor's refresh rate. It was also very loud because my system was running much hotter, and there was a lot of screen tearing. Currently it's set to 59 (to eliminate input lag from vsync), vsync is on, gameplay is very smooth, there is no tearing, and my PC doesn't sound like a jet engine.

On a related note, I played this game briefly when it came out and came back to it later so I don't if it was just some old cfg file that never got changed, but the max framerate for the menus was set to something ridiculous like 600... Needless to say the game was thrashing the poo poo out of my card whenever I booted it up, for no good reason. fps_max_menu 60 to the rescue lol

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
How are the new maps, I had heard zoo was interesting? I managed to lock myself out of my steam account while changing my password so I can't play yet. ( Sent in a ticket to steam Sunday, still no reply :suicide: )

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Michi88 posted:

How are the new maps, I had heard zoo was interesting? I managed to lock myself out of my steam account while changing my password so I can't play yet. ( Sent in a ticket to steam Sunday, still no reply :suicide: )

Resort and Zoo are great fun.

edit:logs is terrible

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Lots of really bad eagles (both tiers) make me want to just get ranked as fast as possible so I don't have to try to carry a team on my back. The times when I'm not entirely outclassed, that is. Seen some badges that go 21-2 and some LEMs that go 2-21. It's a rough life out there in MM boys. I can feel myself slowly improving though.

bpower posted:

Resort and Zoo are great fun.

edit:logs is terrible

Seconding this. Haven't even touched Rails for more than a couple rounds.

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 28, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Xenaero posted:

Lots of really bad eagles (both tiers) make me want to just get ranked as fast as possible so I don't have to try to carry a team on my back. The times when I'm not entirely outclassed, that is. Seen some badges that go 21-2 and some LEMs that go 2-21. It's a rough life out there in MM boys. I can feel myself slowly improving though.

It's hard for me to be so good as well. Such is life.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
I haven't played this game in awhile and I haven't kept up with what is going on.

I just heard that the new patch eliminated wallhacking completely. Is this true?

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Skiant posted:

The GC is totally wrecked now, it won't even display windows' desktop without terrible graphical glitches and crashes, so changing GPU isn't really a choice I can make.
On top of that, I do enjoy other games, and my current CPU is a core i7 2600K, so I think I don't really have any blocker right there.

Yeah, the 2600k is great.

re: FPS chat, you're gaining better movement and reducing input lag by having a higher rendered framerate even if you're not displaying all 200 fps or whatever. note, this is essentially all placebo, since your game isn't inputting to the server more that 64 or 128 times per second.

Also, FPS caps aren't perfect, and you'll still see dropped frames when you've got a cap on. The lower your cap, the more noticeable a frametime spike will be. Really, average FPS is kinda meaningless. What makes a difference is frame time delay, and specifically the higher end of the spectrum. If you're seeing spikes in frame time delay above 16.67 ms on a 60 hz monitor or 6.95 ms on a 144 hz monitor, you will notice it.

40 OZ posted:

I haven't played this game in awhile and I haven't kept up with what is going on.

I just heard that the new patch eliminated wallhacking completely. Is this true?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAp7zxvO0ms

Not quite.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
lol turk why are you lazy trolling the waywt thread come on now

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Xenaero posted:

I went 8-22 in D2 last night on MM. I played like an rear end the whole time, just running around getting picked without getting an entry frag, the times I got close no one was around to get the trade. Then again on T side my team just liked to sit around waiting for others to die, baiting like mad.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
they still haven't fixed the loving first ak tap being inaccurate as gently caress, or made the deagle in line with how good other pistols are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Carol Pizzamom posted:

they still haven't fixed the loving first ak tap being inaccurate as gently caress, or made the deagle in line with how good other pistols are

Its not meant to be perfectly accurate. If you want to one tap someone from goose to pit you can crouch for additional accuracy. Any shorter distance a standing one tap is accurate enough 99% of the time.

• Locked thread