Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I made another lunch tin for my friend and it's able to fit the decimator, 6 assorted ties, and all the usual equipment. I really like how compact this game is. The big tool box and other plastic kits stay home unless someone specifically requests certain cards from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I don't know how you fit a 12" range ruler in there, my gf has one of those lunch boxes and its only like 9" long.

I've just been using a setup like this

the folder holds my rules and range ruler + 5 straight, everything else goes in the small red container. it all fits nicely inside a little bag

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Chill la Chill posted:

It's not much different than kids joining the U.S. military for college benefits and drop after a few years. A lot of people are still under illusions as to what our military even does and gladly even support it.

In any case, if you have a lunch box you can easily fit your most commonly played list or tournament kit. I use iPhone boxes and small tins from various games to sort my tokens and chits. The rulers fit nicely and the black bag houses the falcon. The card game force of will has a sweet card with anime Jawas.

Where'd you get that dial reference card? It seems a lot nicer than the ones I've been using that I've been snipping off of the backs for my packs.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh wait sorry yeah the ruler doesn't fit I just have to keep that on the side :( I typically just stuff it in a small backpack.

I was given that card from a friend who went to the inaugural (hopefully annual!) Stele open this past March. Hosted by nova squadron and they got all sorts of custom stuff made for it. Mats, cards (Stele, Vader, reference), and all sorts of things. I'll post here if they decide to do one next year.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Cactrot posted:

Where'd you get that dial reference card? It seems a lot nicer than the ones I've been using that I've been snipping off of the backs for my packs.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/106743-handy-all-ships-in-one-maneuver-reference-card-ready-for-print/

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I’m new to the game, but was hoping for some insight into TIE tactics. I’m getting wiped out by my two friends who run Rebels / Scum. With the Rebel I have a hard time dealing enough damage to his B Wing, and with the Scum he runs a Y-Wing and a HWK and those autoblaster turrets are awful when you can’t defend against them. Currently I only have Imperial Aces and the starter set, so to pad the list to 100 pts I tend to run

Dark Curse – 16
Mauler Mithel w/ Marksmanship – 20
Kir Kanos – 31
Carnor Jax – 33
(both Interceptors are Royal Guards w/ Shield & Hull upgrades)

I try to keep Carnor and Mauler close for the range 1 abilities and the other two at medium support. But the TIEs are too fast to stay tucked in behind loafers like the HWK & B-Wing. So should I stay out of range 1 turrets or go all in with 4 and try to nuke in one turn?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

You really need to run Push the Limit on those Interceptors: it is well worth the points that you spend on them, because it allows you to both boost AND barrel roll to get out of the arcs of the B-Wings or turtle up with focus + evade against turrets. Unfortunately Kir Kanos can't have EPT: I would suggest using Tetran Cowall or a Royal Guard Pilot instead (or even Soontir if you have the TIE Interceptor expansion). If your friend allows you to proxy cards, you should also go for autothrusters on them as well since they'll make it possible for you to be more reliable against the turret setups.

Drop the shield/hull upgrades on the interceptors, they are rarely worth it. Against the autoblasters, it should be possible to stay outside of range 1 if you have PtL.

EDIT: Maybe something like this? You would need to proxy the stealth devices and autothrusters if you don't have those expansions.

PILOTS

Carnor Jax (34)
TIE Interceptor (26), Push the Limit (3), Royal Guard TIE (0), Autothrusters (2), Stealth Device (3)

Royal Guard Pilot (30)
TIE Interceptor (22), Push the Limit (3), Royal Guard TIE (0), Autothrusters (2), Stealth Device (3)

Academy Pilot (12) x 3

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 27, 2015

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Tekopo posted:

You really need to run Push the Limit on those Interceptors: it is well worth the points that you spend on them, because it allows you to both boost AND barrel roll to get out of the arcs of the B-Wings or turtle up with focus + evade against turrets. Unfortunately Kir Kanos can't have EPT: I would suggest using Tetran Cowall or a Royal Guard Pilot instead (or even Soontir if you have the TIE Interceptor expansion). If your friend allows you to proxy cards, you should also go for autothrusters on them as well since they'll make it possible for you to be more reliable against the turret setups.

Drop the shield/hull upgrades on the interceptors, they are rarely worth it. Against the autoblasters, it should be possible to stay outside of range 1 if you have PtL.

Shield/Hull upgrades SOUND like they are a good idea because they increase your HP by 2/3 on those ships, but in practice that gives you one, maybe two extra attacks that they can take before turning into dust bunnies. You're far better off with Push The Limit to keep from being hit to begin with, which means taking a pilot that is not Kir Kanos. Worth every second of it, though.

Edit: Consider dumping your named TIE pilots for Academy Pilots, and specifically using them to block his ships. If you move in front of him and then he bumps your TIEs, he loses his action. It sounds like a small thing, but trust me - it adds up QUICKLY. You'll see just how frustrated someone can get when he would have destroyed a ship if he'd just had that focus token to spend.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Thanks for the input. We’re all new with less than 5 games each under our belts, so we’re trying to stick with what we physically have present and can reference during the game before proxying a bunch of pilot skills and gear. Luckily the Rebel player has the aces pack so I’ll try PTL next game.

Is purposely bumping ships a widely accepted tactic? Seems like kind of a powergamer dick move, but I can certainly see it’s benefit.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also buying up at least one TIE Fighter expansion and one TIE Interceptor expansion will really widen the number of lists that you can fly, like for example 3 Alpha Inties, 2 Academy Pilots and Howlrunner for 96 points.

EDIT: You should have Push the Limit as there are two copies in Imperial Aces, don't worry about the Autos/Stealth Devices but PtL is a must.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Springfield Fatts posted:

Is purposely bumping ships a widely accepted tactic? Seems like kind of a powergamer dick move, but I can certainly see it’s benefit.

Nothing dickish about it, it's a huge part of the game. It's one of the advantages to fielding many cheaper ships, and a weakness of 2 ship lists. Learning to place yourself in a blocking position while still getting your own actions is pretty important.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Haha, ok, to us it’s still seen as a “you hosed up measuring your maneuver” deal.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Haha, ok, to us it’s still seen as a “you hosed up measuring your maneuver” deal.
You don't want to bump into other people, you want to force situations in which people bump into your ships. This is pretty much one of the major advantages of low PS pilots (and why low PS pilots were seen as better than high PS until the advent of Phantoms changed the meta).

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Get a decimator and run Captain Oicunn. Run into everyone.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

It definitely take some practice. If you have time, have everyone read this forum thread. It's by far the most helpful thing I found for learning movement in the game.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/110115-earning-your-wings-a-guide-for-understanding-movment/

Honestly, I'd recommend everyone in the thread read it, if you haven't. It's great and helped me a shitload in visualizing where my ships would land.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It's thematic too. One of your ships is forcing the enemy to spend its time and focus breaking off to avoid the hit.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Oh poo poo, thanks. This is useful.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

A small ship's firing arc shows where a hard turn will end..... :aaaaa:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Front or back?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Strobe posted:

Front or back?

Back.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Cactrot posted:

A small ship's firing arc shows where a hard turn will end..... :aaaaa:

I wasn't tracking this. I've gotten proficient enough that I'm pretty good at eyeballing where they're going to drop, but I didn't know that little trick.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yuuuuup. These two images alone seriously helped my movement game a ton:

Edit: it's tougher to see, but in the Bank image the line goes from one nub to the opposite one on the other side, which helps when eyeballing the angle. The link I posted explains things well, and adds the distances for each maneuver...it's great.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I need some painting ideas for my Outrider Decimator and HWK but all the paintjobs I find on google are hot garbage. Gimme some ideas goons

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

zVxTeflon posted:

I need some painting ideas for my Outrider Decimator and HWK but all the paintjobs I find on google are hot garbage. Gimme some ideas goons

HWK needs a big sharky grin, cliche but it's practically made for it.

e; Decimator needs a sign reading "I brake for nothing."

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Dulkor and other helpful posters posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Double-Cover-Tackle-Organizer/dp/B001ECQPVQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1432727533&sr=8-11&keywords=plano

This case is an excellent starting point for most players, it has plenty of room for multiple copies of all the fighters and a few large vessels.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I think I like the look of this one the best, although is there any space for the most annoyingly-sized rule firing distance rule? (or whatever you call it) Obviously there isn't in the visible section in that image (aside from possibly if it sits on the top of the combartments/slots, between those and the plastic lid), although what about in that gap that's shown, between the two mirrored trays? Is there an indentation/thin compartment there that it (and/or potentially the other templates and booklets) could fit, or?

Thanks again for all the info, you lot!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Played a fun casual game with 4x Blue Squadron B-Wings with Accuracy Correctors vs Rhymer, Echo and Dark Curse.

Totally wasted them in steady succession. First Dark Curse got lit up, then Echo after a poor decloak by that lead to her being at range 1-2 from a pair of Blues which was huge for me since that ship is a pain to lock down. Rhymer was the last to pop but it took me a couple more turns then I would have liked, since he was evading shots like a drat stunt pilot.

The Gate posted:

Yuuuuup. These two images alone seriously helped my movement game a ton:

Ya if it wasn't for the link to this earlier I'm sure I wouldn't have maneuvered as well as I did tonight, so double thanks.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 28, 2015

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I think I like the look of this one the best, although is there any space for the most annoyingly-sized rule firing distance rule? (or whatever you call it) Obviously there isn't in the visible section in that image (aside from possibly if it sits on the top of the combartments/slots, between those and the plastic lid), although what about in that gap that's shown, between the two mirrored trays? Is there an indentation/thin compartment there that it (and/or potentially the other templates and booklets) could fit, or?

I taped a freezer bag to the side of mine for my Rulebook and range ruler... though unfortunately after scum and villainy coming out, I've outgrown the case.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

if you leave the dividers out of one row in the transparent sections, all your maneuver templates and the rangefinder will fit in it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hell yes, thanks for the ideas, both of you! The most potentially annoying part of finding the ideal box/container has now been resolved. That tackle box is officially on my to-buy list, once I order in another pack/expansion!

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Friend came over and ran a Reb ABX list against my IGs. Holy christ, these things are monsters. Are they posting tournament results, or is robits a tier 2 list?

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Friend came over and ran a Reb ABX list against my IGs. Holy christ, these things are monsters. Are they posting tournament results, or is robits a tier 2 list?

Bro-bots are great but you can counter them with high pilot skill pilots that move around them or keep them in your primary firing arc so that they do not get autothrusters. They are still great and you really need to fly great vs them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bro-bots are a good part of the meta game that keeps other builds honest. I attribute the lack of top showings to lack of maturity of playing skill with them and not a damning lack of power that would place them at tier 2.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The list with the highest number of players at the top tables in my regional was bro-bots, although only one managed to get to the cut-off. Personally I think brobots are one of the more intelligently priced ships currently out there. They are good but not unbeatable.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I dunno; I think the variance between the various IG's is criminal though - I mean, poor IG-88A is basically trash (with an ability that's A. Conditional on him getting hit, and B. Conditional on them running a list with enough things to proc it) by comparison to his 'brothers', and I think C&D are better than B , though it's a closer run thing.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've been mostly seeing B and C actually, but it largely depends on how you set up your ships. I think largely C is the one almost everyone goes for, then you either choose D or B depending on setup and A, as you mentioned, is almost never used unless you are clairvoyant and can predict that you are only going to go against swarm lists.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I prefer C&D because C is just the obvious, ridiculous one, and I like doing Segnor's Loops with Adv. Sensors. Boost/Evade/Segnor's with the variable template means nobody can ever, ever keep you in arc. B I'm still unsure about; His ability gets better the more green dice they get to roll, so he's another meta-selection choice. The number of red dice should always be 4 anyway (as I'm running HLC on both) so it's really down to whether their Green is enough to make you miss occasionally.

And then there's A. Poor, poor A.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

B's ability is pretty awesome in my opinion and doesn't only shine against enemy lists with lots of greens. It can be used to mitigate lovely attack rolls, to blow past the C3PO/evade token of a Fat Han (or any other ship that relies on tokens) and overall gets very reliable damage in. I usually use this setup for double IGs and I've seen it do well when other people play it:

98 points

PILOTS

IG88-B [Push the Limit, Advanced Sensors, “Mangler” Cannon, Inertial Dampeners, IG-2000, Autothrusters] (49)

IG88-C [Push the Limit, Advanced Sensors, “Mangler” Cannon, Inertial Dampeners, IG-2000, Autothrusters] (49)

Pushing the Limit off the Advanced Sensors and then immediately doing a green is good poo poo in my book, I pretty much have a free gunner on both ships thanks to the B ability as well.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Just to be clear, I'm in no way saying my preference for D over B is anything but that - Preference. :v:

To my mind - C > B = D > A

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, but your earlier statement said that you thought D > B. I do agree it does come down to preference in terms of which one of the two you take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I'm torn on which brobots to run. I like B's refire ability a lot, especially since my local meta has a lot of TIEs in it, and the Mangler's critseeking ability means it wrecks them when it hits. But I'm thinking of running C/D with Predator for the rerolls. That helps with getting hits in, and there are a LOT of PS1 and PS2 ships in my local meta.

• Locked thread