Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Corbeau posted:

Innovation has the same problem as Race for the Galaxy: in order to plan, you have to know the cards. However, there are vastly fewer cards in Innovation than Race for the Galaxy. What I'm saying is that Race for the Galaxy is garbage and that Innovation is less garbage.

I don't know if this is a troll or what but Innovation has only 9 fewer cards in the deck and 19 of the cards in Race are duplicate developments. It's actually got less unique cards to learn and that's before you even get in to how many of them are just variations on "2 cost blue world" or "6 cost that scores for one colour of worlds".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
Got to play Argent for the first time today with two games started, neither completed - none of the players are worker-placement veterans myself included and nobody who'd played it before, so it went long both times, the first time someone had to go home and the second time someone was starting to nod off by the end so each time we called the vote as soon as the current round ended (rounds 3 and 4). The first time through everyone pretty much underestimated the value of marks and research, the second time we had a better idea of what we were doing - two players marked the Most Gold voter so we actually ran out of coins and had to keep track of gold via notes. I started playing around a lot more with gray workers in the second round, too; the relatively minor amount of research that went on the first time had led to a lot of underestimating them, while the second time I was planning my turn around using spells instead of placement actions.

Everyone had a good time and we're going to try to actually get through a full game sometime soon. :v:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm going to be playing Merchants and Marauders with some other people who also have never played before. Any advice for first timers to keep in mind?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Don't get greedy and carry a lot of gold at once, because you will get killed for it.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I played it for the first time today, trading seemed pretty fast and strong. I had a captain with +1 cargo which let me carry decent loads in the sloop, though. Basically went trade / trade / trade / Galleon / mission / trade / trade / win, having stashed 10 gold earlier and 20 more at the end.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I'm going on holidays with my wife next week and we'll be taking a couple of long flights. Are there any good card games or small board games we could play on the plane?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

cyberia posted:

I'm going on holidays with my wife next week and we'll be taking a couple of long flights. Are there any good card games or small board games we could play on the plane?

Jaipur seems good for this.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

cyberia posted:

Hanabi and Lost Cities come to mind. Jaipur would annoy me very much if/when the tokens fall down. For Hanabi you can use a phone, a pen, or a die to track hints/errors instead of the tokens.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Obligatory "love letter".

Do virtual ones count? Because there's Galaxy trucker for Android, Apple devices and Windows Phone; also Carcassonne, Dominant species, Catan at the least.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Mister Sinewave posted:

I'm going to be playing Merchants and Marauders with some other people who also have never played before. Any advice for first timers to keep in mind?

Start off as a merchant otherwise you'll have a miserable time of doing basically nothing. Also be prepared for dubious amounts of randomized bullshit with cargo cards and such.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Narrator posted:

Obligatory "love letter".

Do virtual ones count? Because there's Galaxy trucker for Android, Apple devices and Windows Phone; also Carcassonne, Dominant species, Catan at the least.
Love letter is kind of lame as a 2 player

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

rchandra posted:

Jaipur would annoy me very much if/when the tokens fall down.

Christ, what kind of turbulence are you expecting that might knock over a half-inch high stack of cardboard discs?

As for plane-capable games, having just returned from holiday I'll throw a few out:

Jaipur will easily fit across a couple of tray-tables, Port Royal will as well.

As The Narrator said, for added choice you can't go wrong with a tablet with a few games on. Digital versions of San Juan and Carcassonne kept my SO and I entertained and even drew the interest of those sat next to us.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I can't imagine being entertained by Love Letter for more than 15 minutes, let alone a decent portion of a plane ride, let alone alone with two people.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My friend and her supervisor managed to cram in Timeline on a plane. Otherwise, Hive is a possibility, and I guess Ghost Blitz could work until you throw the pieces/cards away.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Report! Homeland seems...flawed. It shares a lot in common with Spartacus and Sons of Anarchy by the same company, which seems to be good ideas but buried under some ropey implementation. We played with 5, which was too many and the game ended up stalling out because 2 players kept destroying threats, which meant the game couldn't actually end. We also didn't end up with a terrorist which really put the dampers on the tension.

There's something there, but it needs work to make it playable. I definitely wouldn't play it with more than 4.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

Report! Homeland seems...flawed. It shares a lot in common with Spartacus and Sons of Anarchy by the same company, which seems to be good ideas but buried under some ropey implementation. We played with 5, which was too many and the game ended up stalling out because 2 players kept destroying threats, which meant the game couldn't actually end. We also didn't end up with a terrorist which really put the dampers on the tension.

There's something there, but it needs work to make it playable. I definitely wouldn't play it with more than 4.

I really enjoyed it. What do you think doesn't work? I've only played twice, once we were too cooperative which led to high scoring agency players and the second time it was far too aggressive which led to an easy terrorist victory (fortunately there was actually a terrorist there)

Destroying all threats could indeed stall the game, but it doesn't achieve anything so I can't see why it would happen.

My complaints are largely around some common rules questions not being addressed. Like can I drone strike once per turn, once per drone strike active asset or just as much as I like?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

We've played Battle Line on a plane, worked pretty well.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Mojo Jojo posted:

I really enjoyed it. What do you think doesn't work? I've only played twice, once we were too cooperative which led to high scoring agency players and the second time it was far too aggressive which led to an easy terrorist victory (fortunately there was actually a terrorist there)

Destroying all threats could indeed stall the game, but it doesn't achieve anything so I can't see why it would happen.

My complaints are largely around some common rules questions not being addressed. Like can I drone strike once per turn, once per drone strike active asset or just as much as I like?

The issue was that we had no terrorist and it became clear who was playing who in the midgame, which led to the Loyal players dronestriking any threats belonging to another Loyal agent. This then ended up with the 2 political opportunists trying to put in red cards, so then these threats would get drone striked whenever anyone found out what was in there.

I want to play it again, but definitely with less people as we felt there were not enough threats to match the number of players. It might have just been a groupthink issue but it would be interesting to see what would happen if we tried again.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Weird. Even without a terrorist I've always found it feels like a constant panic.

How were the soldiers being generated to do all that done striking?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Came back from Toronto, played a few board games at a cafe while I was there. Some Castles of Mad King Ludwig andFive Tribes, both entertaining games but not games I'd pick up - mostly because I don't know when I'd ever get them out with my friends back in Ottawa. Like it's been said before, Ludwig is just a very bland game to look at (but fun to play), and Five Tribes is enjoyable, but waaaaaaay too prone to AP. I'm lucky that when it comes to these trips of mine, I generally end up playing with a friend who's very board-game-savvy. Generally we pick up new games and have no problem simply reading the rules and understanding them as we play. I know a lot of people have had problems with stuff like that, but I really enjoy reading through and understanding a game with him before/as we play. Hell, if we can play through a game of Dungeon Lords competently on the first go, we can play through (almost) anything.

Also, I picked up a copy of Pictomania and the Dungeon Lords: Happy Anniversary edition. Played some Pictomania with my sister and brother in law, had a blast, looking forward to playing it today at work.

As for talk of poisonous elements in groups...sometimes I worry I can be like that. I'll often find myself complaining when I'm on the poo poo end of luck, often getting mad at the game's mechanics when I do ("Christ, I wish this game wasn't so luck based", etc), and I have to reel myself in when I do - that's no fun for anyone. At best you're insulting a game you're playing that others may be enjoying, at worst you're insulting a game that someone else purchased and likes enough to want to play it with you.

Oh, one question: we all have our preferences for individual board game organizers, but what do people's board game shelves look like? Organized stack? Messy pile? IKEA square shelving? I'm moving into a new place soon and will need to think of ways to store my ever-increasing stock of games beyond "pile of boxes on my dresser", and was wondering if anyone had found elegant solutions for it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Morpheus posted:

Oh, one question: we all have our preferences for individual board game organizers, but what do people's board game shelves look like? Organized stack? Messy pile? IKEA square shelving? I'm moving into a new place soon and will need to think of ways to store my ever-increasing stock of games beyond "pile of boxes on my dresser", and was wondering if anyone had found elegant solutions for it.

There's some stinkers in there (looking at you civ) that are only there for trading purposes. I just started storing board games vertically, now I'm wondering how I ever survived when stacking. Also I have a d20 roach clip.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
That's what I need, a really nice bookshelf to hold everything.

Right now I'm using plastic storage drawers to hold everything. The nice thing is they stack up neatly, but they aren't wide enough to hold some of the monster boxes like TI3.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'm not a fan of gigantic boxes because they're so drat unwieldy. I wanna store Eclipse and Kemet vertically too.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

This is the setup i have, although I changed it recently. It's IKEA, but I prefer it to the boxes because I can set the heights of the shelves:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm buying a house soon and I'm gonna be dropping a bundle on SOMETHING soon to hold tradgame poo poo in my ~mancave~ area. Probably Besta shelving from Ikea but if you goons know of something better that isn't geekchic or some expensive poo poo like that I'd love to hear it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The ones above are Besta shelves and they have served me well so far.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Lord Frisk posted:

There's some stinkers in there (looking at you civ) that are only there for trading purposes. I just started storing board games vertically, now I'm wondering how I ever survived when stacking. Also I have a d20 roach clip.

I have a hard time coming to terms with vertical storing since i have old habit of thinking components are going to get hosed up, despite the fact that almost every game i have i use alternate storage solutions that remove that problem.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I bag up/remove inserts in almost all my games (it's something that I gained from buying loads of wargames), so I don't have problems with putting boxes vertically. The only box I keep horizontal is Dungeon Lords Anniversary Edition for obvious reasons.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I can count on one hand the games I own that actually have an insert worth a drat.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

All games should come with Ziploc bags already present within the box like GMT games do.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The insert for dungeon lords anniversary is pretty nice if it wasn't for the crappy areas where you put the monsters, which just cause all the monsters to randomly distribute themselves within the box if you don't hold it flat at all times.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I'm a huge fan of properly sized plano boxes and really useful boxes from office depot. For some reason baggies irritate me irrationally and are my last resort.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Ziplock baggies? Get classy with tubevelopes.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Once you go plano you never go back. I actually have grown to like mini cards since they can fit in them even when sleeved if the pockets are deep enough. loving rules.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Archipelago has a functional, useful insert. It's also the only game that I'm nervous about storing vertically. (I never throw away inserts. #boardshames)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

signalnoise posted:

I'm buying a house soon and I'm gonna be dropping a bundle on SOMETHING soon to hold tradgame poo poo in my ~mancave~ area. Probably Besta shelving from Ikea but if you goons know of something better that isn't geekchic or some expensive poo poo like that I'd love to hear it.

My game collection is on one of these.

Costs a ton to ship from Amazon because it weighs a ton - imagine the fun I had getting it up two flights of stairs - but I got mine from Costco for something like £70-80. It's absolutely rock solid, it's the perfect depth for long boxes a la the old FFG "coffins", and you can stack square boxes with a portrait box in front of them if you don't mind it sticking out an inch or three.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 29, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hrmmmmmm

Hadn't considered industrial style shelving. Thanks for this

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

I have too littl;e room for book cases and too few games to dedicate a bookcase solely for games as of yet.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
I don't mind putting player pieces in baggies, when opening the box you and just pass the bags to the other players and let them get on with tipping them out and organising them. Now that I'm happy with my collection though I really want to start getting some storage solutions together for some of my games for ease of set-up. What's a good source of Plano-type boxes in the UK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Lord Frisk posted:

Archipelago has a functional, useful insert. It's also the only game that I'm nervous about storing vertically. (I never throw away inserts. #boardshames)

I have thrown out a couple boxes, especially if I can consolidate a base game with an expansion into one box.

I threw out 7 Wonders' box because the insert sucked. I keep all the boards in the Cities box and all the cards in a card storage box. Owns.