Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Adam Hughes on Betty and Veronica is what made me back, but there's no tier for a physical of that and a digital of Jughead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Space_Butler posted:

Yeah I'm definitely in. Once you get into the tiers that have variants on it, it easily pays for itself compared to how much those things go for. Especially anything limited by Fiona Staples.

The Archie Kickstarter is DEAD. From this day forth, you will put your faith in MY Kickstarter.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

These multi-issue variants are starting to get a little ridiculous

Death Ray posted:

The Archie Kickstarter is DEAD. From this day forth, you will put your faith in MY Kickstarter.

As long as Francavilla's involved I'm in.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It just clicked that Archie's doing NiGHTS again, sorta. Nifty.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

It just clicked that Archie's doing NiGHTS again, sorta. Nifty.

Or that Archie will be putting out more Street Fighter comics than Udon in 2015.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I realized today that I am going to understand literally every reference in the Sonic/Mega Man crossover and I feel like the gooniest gently caress alive.

Also Sabrina is a really good book. I kind of love how Harvey's reaction to seeing his girlfriend covered in blood in front of loving Satan elicits only a "What the hell is going on?" instead of shrieking in terror until your vocal cords bleed. Dude must have balls of steel.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 28, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I realized today that I am going to understand literally every reference in the Sonic/Mega Man crossover and I feel like the gooniest gently caress alive.

Also Sabrina is a really good book. I kind of love how Harvey's reaction to seeing his girlfriend covered in blood in front of loving Satan elicits only a "What the hell is going on?" instead of shrieking in terror until your vocal cords bleed. Dude must have balls of steel.

I hope to god that the next issue starts with him yelling that she's cheating on him.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I enjoyed the Manos: The Hands of Fate reference. (The walking staff in the first sequence is the same one Torgo used)

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
Hooray for a more regular schedule! That delay between 1 and 2 hurt. Did we ever find out what happened there?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It was a number of factors, I think. Aside from Sacasa's workload, which included scripting a pilot for Riverdale (a show he says will be a bit like Twin Peaks), Francavilla was in a car accident (on his way to an AwA convention panel, ironically), injuring his drawing arm. I'm not entirely certain how that affected Sabrina, since Francavilla's on AwA, but they do talk in recent issues of both series about the delays and how they promise there'll never be such a large delay again.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Quick review: Archie #1 was good; lighthearted and kept the spirit of the Archie cast. Mark Waid manages to keep the core of the characters while making them more in tune with what modern readers expect. Just to be clear, this is NOT going to be some dumb gritty Archie thing where Jughead is secretly gay for Archie or where Moose is a junkie or whatever; it's a comic about the lives of an endearing cast of characters. The first issue is also quite ripe for notes, I think; I'll post them tomorrow after people have had a chance to read it.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Argue posted:

Quick review: Archie #1 was good; lighthearted and kept the spirit of the Archie cast. Mark Waid manages to keep the core of the characters while making them more in tune with what modern readers expect. Just to be clear, this is NOT going to be some dumb gritty Archie thing where Jughead is secretly gay for Archie or where Moose is a junkie or whatever; it's a comic about the lives of an endearing cast of characters. The first issue is also quite ripe for notes, I think; I'll post them tomorrow after people have had a chance to read it.

It's super cute and fun, and it's good to see Fiona Staples drawing something other than a dragon sucking its own dick.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I just finished reading the new Archie comic and I really enjoyed it. I haven't read anything Archie related in the longest time so coming back to it was nice. It's a good read and I look forward to the next one.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

ElNarez posted:

It's super cute and fun, and it's good to see Fiona Staples drawing something other than a dragon sucking its own dick.

?!?

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
See the latest issue of Saga

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

That was delightful. I'm completely onboard for Archie, and probably some of the other titles when they come as well.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
That first issue was pitch-perfect. Waid and Staples both nailed it.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

The_Other posted:

See the latest issue of Saga

It's the one before. #29 to be exact. And it's a full two page spread.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Loved everything about Archie #1. If the writing and art quality stay this way I'm so totally on board. I realize Fiona Staples will be leaving after the first arc, but hopefully her successors are half as good. Her Jughead is loving perfect.

What happened that Archie is publishing so many good comics?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Does the crazy lady who randomly shouted "Penis!" at men still running things there?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

very late edit: lol this post was crediting the writing to Mark Millar for months and I didn't even notice

Endless Mike posted:

What happened that Archie is publishing so many good comics?

New management, basically.

Anyway, here are my notes for Archie #1, and boy are there a lot of them this time! I'll have to go by page number here just to keep track of them. I hope this look at Archie history improves the experience :)

Page 1:

Waid mentioned in an interview that a huge priority was to show that Riverdale was a diverse place. To Archie's credit, Staples notes that they already had a tremendously diverse student body, so she drew from a massive dossier of characters. I'm fairly certain that even I'll be missing some people here.

Present on the page:
Archie Andrews, America's favorite teenager
The girl with the backpack is Toni Topaz, who nearly bested Jughead in a cupcake-eating contest
The redhead holding a bill is Cricket O'Dell, who has an uncanny ability to literally sniff out money (and to appraise an object's exact value by smelling it)

Page 2

Top panel:
Everyone here was invented in the last few years, so I actually had to cheat for all the ones on this panel by looking them up! The girl on the left is Riverdale's resident goth, Shrill. The two students to the right are token Native American and Asian Rob and Sheila Wu.

Middle row:
I say token, but everyone in the world of Archie tends to be one-note, and thankfully, that note is almost never related to their race or disability. Dilton is Riverdale's resident genius, who can build time machines and shrink rays on a whim. Raj is the token Indian, but his gimmick is that he's always trying to film movies. As for Trev... more on him later.

Bottom panel:
America's sweetheart, Betty Cooper. In terms of comics narrative, she was the very first person in Archie's life, with Jughead a close second. (you don't even need my notes for this, as you can see for yourself in the backup story, which is a reprint of the very first Archie story) That order is paralleled in this comic.

Page 3
Archie comics of old (not sure about the modern ones) would frequently punch up the backgrounds with unusual things happening, often with random people having their own subplots or one-off gags in the background. Think that Community episode where Abed's subplot was entirely in the background of everyone else's scenes. I'm glad to see that tradition continues here.

Milkshakes with two straws are a typical teenage romance cliche, but also a time-honored staple of Archie illustrations. In fact, in Archie comics, it's even more common to see three straws instead of just two.

Page 6

Central to the page is one Forsythe P. "Jughead" Jones, Riverdale's resident chowhound and Archie's best friend. I've posted a more detailed writeup of Jughead things in previous posts.
The group pestering Jughead is comprised of Riverdale's first gay character, Kevin Keller, Sheila Wu, and Maria Rodriguez, originally created to be the girlfriend of Frankie Valdez, back in the day when race mixing in media aimed at kids was as unheard of as explicitly gay people are in kids' media today.

Page 8

Now this is interesting! Waid and Staples seem to be setting up resident sleazebag Reggie Mantle as a member of Fallout 3's Tunnel Snakes, or possibly one of Biff's gang from Back to the Future--foreshadowing a possible crossover between one of these properties, perhaps???

Page 12

Maybe I should have mentioned this earlier, but chapter titles in single issues of comics are a rarity these days, and Archie is the only one I know that's consistently kept this tradition going.

We see for the first time Archie's penchant for being clumsy in cartoonish ways that would basically be impossible in real life. This puts him at odds with some of his peers, and even more grown-ups--primarily, Mr. Weatherbee and Mr. Lodge.

This is an interesting change to Archie's father, Fred Andrews. He hasn't been shown to have an interest in guitar in the past, and his musical instrument/interest/ability largely depended on the needs of previous writers, so it's nice to see that they now have something consistent to bond over.

Page 14

Pictured in the middle row is Riverdale High principal, Waldo "the Bee" Weatherbee. Archie has been a thorn in his side for years, but he's always acknowledged Archie's good heart.

The band isn't anyone I recognize, although they seem so distinct that I wonder if they're pre-existing characters. Certainly not any of the main Archie bands I know of.

Page 16

One of the few things that's been mostly consistent about Archie over the years is that he's always been a competent--star quality, even--guitarist. He is (or was, as the needs of the story dictate) the founder of The Archies, a band which was not only a hit in the comic, but also in real life--Archie Comics had an actual The Archies for a while, and they had a little hit you may have heard of--Sugar, Sugar. This song has been frequently played by The Archies in-comic since.

Page 17

And hey, speaking of bands, check it out--it's Trev again. He was mentioned earlier as having a sister who won American Idol--this wasn't just a throwaway line! Trevor Smith is the brother of Valerie Smith, one of the three members of Josie and the Pussycats.

Quick tangent: A couple of years ago, they finally decided to let Archie start doing race mixing publicly (it's not like it was a new thing for Archie but as far as I know this was the first time they did it on a cover) and date Valerie. This was a pretty big deal because not only was he dating a black character, but it wasn't just some new black character, but the very first one they ever established. They really went whole hog on the whole thing, too--the romance arose organically, with him and Valerie first having a lot of chemistry (or what passes for chemistry in Archieland) during a joint tour, then officially dating, to the point where he actually broke it off with Betty and Veronica. Veronica was jealous, of course, but for Betty, things weren't so bad, because she met Trevor at a Josie concert and they hit it off right away, even eloping in one of the "possible futures" that they started doing in the last few years. All things considered, he was a pretty inspired choice for Homecoming King in this issue.

Page 19

Mark Waid preserves the status quo of Jughead owning. Please buy Chip Zdarsky's Jughead comic, coming October 7.

Page 21

I love that last panel with Veronica's father, Hiram Lodge; that menacing stare encapsulates his relationship with Archie pretty well.

Traditionally, Archie's known Betty and Veronica for nearly the same amount of time, though what amount of time that is has been pretty inconsistent. Sometimes, they've been friends since childhood, and sometimes (as you'll see in the backup story) they meet as teenagers, with Veronica moving in shortly after he meets Betty. The reboot is going for something from both, with Betty being his childhood friend, and Veronica moving into town a few issues later.

Inside back cover

I can't be 100% sure of this (I've tried asking Zdarsky on Twitter) but the tagline "More than burgers, but mostly burgers" is possibly a reference to the classic Jughead story I've posted about in the past.

Argue fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 27, 2017

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
But Mega Man is so much better.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Thanks for the notes! Archie #1 was awesome. Just distilled pleasantness with great art.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Archie was pretty much the perfect book until it ended on "don't forget to join the conversation on Twitter @archiecomics #lipstickincident #brands" rather than logically keeping that for the letter pages. I know it broke the 4th wall throughout but c'mon.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

Zoe posted:

But Mega Man is so much better.

I am all about Sega/capcom secret wars! I'm currently playing through Valkeryia chronicles and choosing to believe Vyse stopped through there on the way back to Arcadia.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Archie was pretty much the perfect book until it ended on "don't forget to join the conversation on Twitter @archiecomics #lipstickincident #brands" rather than logically keeping that for the letter pages. I know it broke the 4th wall throughout but c'mon.

I actually found that part funny as hell and I'm glad they did it. I mean it's literally the last thing so as long as it's not constantly happening I don't mind.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Skeezy posted:

I just finished reading the new Archie comic and I really enjoyed it. I haven't read anything Archie related in the longest time so coming back to it was nice. It's a good read and I look forward to the next one.

This sums up my thoughts as well!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Only thing I wasn't entirely sold on was throwing Kevin in as one of the meddling 'gossip' group. Seemed a little cheap, leaning into the 'gay guys are just like typical straight girls!' cliche.

Otherwise it was really, really solid and fun. The Back To The Future meets Ferris Bueller/Saved By The Bell by way of 90s WB vibe is pretty perfect, and Staples is drawing the hell out of it. It's going to be a shame when she leaves and the next artist is going to need to be pretty special to live up to it and probably won't be able to.

EDIT: Y'wanna feel old? Check out a couple of reviews of the issue and count how many use vloggers as a reference for Archie addressing the reader instead of the stuff I just used. Though I also feel my comparisons are more apt because a vlog would be framed as Archie talking to viewers inside the comic, whereas this is him talking to the reader.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 10, 2015

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Only thing I wasn't entirely sold on was throwing Kevin in as one of the meddling 'gossip' group. Seemed a little cheap, leaning into the 'gay guys are just like typical straight girls!' cliche.

Otherwise it was really, really solid and fun. The Back To The Future meets Ferris Bueller/Saved By The Bell by way of 90s WB vibe is pretty perfect, and Staples is drawing the hell out of it. It's going to be a shame when she leaves and the next artist is going to need to be pretty special to live up to it and probably won't be able to.

EDIT: Y'wanna feel old? Check out a couple of reviews of the issue and count how many use vloggers as a reference for Archie addressing the reader instead of the stuff I just used. Though I also feel my comparisons are more apt because a vlog would be framed as Archie talking to viewers inside the comic, whereas this is him talking to the reader.

I would be annoyed by that, but the more facts and facets they reveal about Kevin the more he sounds exactly like how my boyfriend describes himself in high school, so I'm finding it really charming.

Plus, giving him a strong friendship with Maria and Sheila could have some payoff when Veronica arrives--they were BFFs in the original series, yes? And I could see Veronica responding positively to Kevin and Maria, and less so to Sheila. A struggle with a friend-triangle that kinda foils Archie's love triangle could be a fun angle for him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Fair point, I suppose that happened in every school. I know the one out dude in my class basically spent our last year in high school hanging out with the more 'girly' girls and gossiping at lunch.

One of those reviews I mentioned raised a good point though... Is Jughead secretly the main character? I mean, he's the most active character in the narrative. Betty and Archie (It's a testament to how real "Bettchie" feels that I actually shudder at the idea of using it sincerely) basically just have stuff happen TO them. Jughead actually does things.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It's too bad Jughead's comic is going to be stuck with an incredibly awful artist, Erica Henderson is just hilariously incompetent, almost single handedly making the Squirrel Girl comic over at Marvel unreadable(the writing isn't very good either but my god the art almost makes Land look like a talented artist in comparison)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

It's too bad Jughead's comic is going to be stuck with an incredibly awful artist, Erica Henderson is just hilariously incompetent, almost single handedly making the Squirrel Girl comic over at Marvel unreadable(the writing isn't very good either but my god the art almost makes Land look like a talented artist in comparison)

I'd make some glib 'sorry your eyes don't work' joke here, but I genuinely can't see what people who say this stuff are seeing. I see a poppy, dynamic, cartoony/caricatured style loaded with charm when I look at Henderson. This isn't even a Humberto Ramos kind of thing where mostly it's "I dislike the aesthetic, but I get why people may like it", it's more like I assume their shop is selling out and getting the owner's 3 year to crayon some replacement copies of Squirrel Girl, because otherwise the division of opinion just doesn't make sense to me.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Fair point, I suppose that happened in every school. I know the one out dude in my class basically spent our last year in high school hanging out with the more 'girly' girls and gossiping at lunch.

I'm gonna get sappy for a moment. It's easy for me, as a guy who was quiet, studiouss and closeted all through high school and came out when he arrived at a good liberal arts school (exactly as he planned, to make his coming-out as drama free as possible) to talk about gay stereotypes, but frankly? I would have killed to be in that circle gossiping with girls about our cute friends' love lives if I could also be as accepted as Kevin (army brat, heavily involved in student government, willing to drop his tutoring as a weapon at the drop of a hat...), he's a lovely character. I'm gonna be picking up Zdarsky's Jughead when it comes, and Betty and Veronica if I hear it has a strong hook beyond cheesecake factor (as that really does nothing for me, but I like the characters). Parent's the only holdover from old Archie, hopefully he can write lovely Kevin stories in the same vein as Waid's writing Archie. Archie for me always meant "pleasant," and the new #1 was just a more concentrated, marketable form of that pleasantness. It'd be nice to see Parent making that same leap, I know he cares about the character. It means a lot to me that he's getting a launch alongside Betty & Veronica and Jughead.

EDIT: My one criticism? A Valerie (or any other Pussycats) title should sell like hotcakes. Why aren't you? Do it. Now. If you want to do Archie Horror/go super political with it, Josie and the Pussy Riot. You have infinite potential at the moment.

Nobby fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 11, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gaz-L posted:

I'd make some glib 'sorry your eyes don't work' joke here, but I genuinely can't see what people who say this stuff are seeing. I see a poppy, dynamic, cartoony/caricatured style loaded with charm when I look at Henderson. This isn't even a Humberto Ramos kind of thing where mostly it's "I dislike the aesthetic, but I get why people may like it", it's more like I assume their shop is selling out and getting the owner's 3 year to crayon some replacement copies of Squirrel Girl, because otherwise the division of opinion just doesn't make sense to me.

well besides the fact that she can't draw faces well at all(and everything else is pretty meh as well), she's also kind of a total twat on social media and can't take criticism at all(kinda like Slott and a fair amount of other people working at marvel these days) which in my opinion makes things even worse(say what you want about Liefield's drawing abilities but he's apparently a really nice and friendly person, which is a huge reason he still gets work in the industry despite being one of it's worst active artists)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Guys, does every thread need to eventually turn into an argument about Erica Henderson's art? :(

Anyway, it seems the Archie TV show is still happening, possibly by 2016; Sacasa says it's going to have a little of the weird stuff going on beneath a suburban town, a bit like Twin Peaks. Amusingly, it's going to be on the CW and overseen by Berlanti, so I'm braced for the show to open with "My name is Archie Andrews, and I am a student at Riverdale High."

I'm liking that promo art, and I also like that Valerie from Josie and the Pussycats is gonna be in it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is there an archive anywhere to look up old Archie stories? There's a couple I would like to find but can't remember the name of.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Archie #1 owned, Squirrel Girl continues to own, these conclusions are not controversial or difficult to defend, in my opinion.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Looks like the next Archie Horror title is Vampironica because of the teaser that was unveiled at SDCC.

We're never gonna get a Josie & The Pussycats horror book, are we? :sigh:

Also, I'd be happy if they got the two Archie Horror books they have now out on a regular schedule for awhile before launching a third.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Vampironica? Really? They literally did that, with Betty as Buffy, in one of the regular books a couple of years back.

That comes off more like another crossover than a real book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

They've already done zombies too. Needless to say, I don't think anyone counts traditional parody issues. :v: But yeah, I don't mind the new one, though I'll get pretty annoyed if it's Sacasa again considering how long it takes him and Francavilla to push out issues of their current titles at all.

• Locked thread