Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

TraderStav posted:

I just purchased a TV show on iTunes and want to view it through Plex. Is there a way or do I have to find a way to strip out the DRM?

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201128288-Why-don-t-videos-from-iTunes-Amazon-etc-play-

Gotta strip it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Bummer. Can Plex or FireTV receive airplay without cracking?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The Plex client for OS X is an airplay target.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Am I dumb, or is there no way to watch sync'd movies on my iPad when offline? They're downloaded, but seems they want an internet connection anyway. Does it just need a connection for a quick authorization? If so I could start the movie before I get on the plane using airport wifi, or spring for the 30 minute in-flight wifi just to get it going.

I'll also accept that I'm both dumb AND there is no way to watch offline.

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.
I've just been using VLC for that. It's a roundabout solution, but still, it works!

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Ming the Merciless posted:

I've just been using VLC for that. It's a roundabout solution, but still, it works!
Will VLC play the sync'd files or do I need to grab the originals and copy them over using iTunes? I don't know why I didn't consider VLC actually, I'll grab it and try it out now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Something sounds wrong there, I use my iPhone to watch shows while flying with no problems. Or is the problem specifically for movies? I just change the filter to 'on iPhone' in the corner and it shows me everything local on the device.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah, I tried that. It gives me an error about contacting the server. I'll gently caress with it a bit more. I'm on slow as poo poo hotel WiFi so hopefully I don't have to grab them from my Synology back at home.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SLOSifl posted:

Am I dumb, or is there no way to watch sync'd movies on my iPad when offline? They're downloaded, but seems they want an internet connection anyway. Does it just need a connection for a quick authorization? If so I could start the movie before I get on the plane using airport wifi, or spring for the 30 minute in-flight wifi just to get it going.

I'll also accept that I'm both dumb AND there is no way to watch offline.

If you flip "show only synced libraries" in the iOS app settings when you don't have Internet, it shouldn't even bother going online and only show locally-stored content.

Does that fix your problem? Sync works beautifully for me.

Another gotcha: if you accidentally start a sync when away from home and don't have enough time to fully download files over a slow connection, you can end up with a bunch of videos that appear to be synced to the iPad but won't actually play.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 3, 2015

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Nope. It shows the synced movies, but say the requested url was not found on the server. Hmm, maybe it means its own local server.

Edit: my doctor was right, I'm retarded. I don't think they fully download

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It tends to work in two passes, so you can get the server to start crunching the video files while you don't have the app open, then go back into the app and sync again and it should grab the crunched versions. It is a bit buggy though, and one jammed file can cause issues for anything that comes after. Never hurts to do a quick test in airplane mode before you go offline.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
The XBone client is pretty bad. Anyone know if improvements are planned?

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
I've been having some issues streaming to clients using DLNA (PS3) and buffering. Navigating to the media server and selecting a video always results in constant buffering at the beginning of the movie and doesn't allow me to fast forward or skip ahead (this results in the movie restarting). All my streaming through Plex Web, Chromecast, etc work perfectly, so not sure what the issue is here.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Plex isn't picking up some meta data for some of my music. I thought the new music update was supposed to fix that, but it's only partially working. For example with Alice Cooper :rock: it filled in the bio but not the tags/poster/background. Forcing an analyze does not fill in the missing info and I don't know if there's debug info to see what's failing.

Any ideas?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
It hasn't been extremely fantastic for me either but I blamed it on the fact most of my music is super duper old and ripped using whatever random programs I have used over the years.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Where does Plex get its album art from? All of my music has 1000x1000 images embedded in them, but that's not what's getting displayed on Plex. Could it be the random album.jpg or folder.jpg that are scattered throughout my folders?

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Plex has mysteriously stopped working well for me recently. Any ideas? These things used to work:

Go to plex.tv in a browser, click launch, it finds server in the web app. Now it does not find server.
Turn on Samsung TV, launch the plex tv app, it finds the server. Now it does not find the server and times out on login to plex.

What does still work is the plex DLNA client can be found and used from the Samsung TV, PC, Oppo player. Also, going direct to the local ip address (http://192.168.1.100:32400/web/index.html) works fine.

Plex is running latest release on a Synology server, was working for a year before this.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Decairn posted:

Plex has mysteriously stopped working well for me recently. Any ideas? These things used to work:

Go to plex.tv in a browser, click launch, it finds server in the web app. Now it does not find server.
Turn on Samsung TV, launch the plex tv app, it finds the server. Now it does not find the server and times out on login to plex.

What does still work is the plex DLNA client can be found and used from the Samsung TV, PC, Oppo player. Also, going direct to the local ip address (http://192.168.1.100:32400/web/index.html) works fine.

Plex is running latest release on a Synology server, was working for a year before this.

Apps suck on Samsung TV. Try reinstalling the app or turning off the quickboot setting for the TV. I forget the official name in Settings but that made a big difference for me.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Actually, go to plex settings on the server and make it connect again. That will likely fix it.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
So what's the current best box for Plex?

FireTV? Apple TV? Roku?

Zeitgueist fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 23, 2015

disco_stu
Jun 19, 2005
Disco Stu does not need to advertise!
I haven't tried any of those, but I have no problems with Chromecast coupled with my iPad.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zeitgueist posted:

So what's the current best box for Plex?

FireTV? Apple TV? Roku?

Definitely not Apple TV since there's no native Plex app. If I had to recommend a tiny no-nonsense streamer box client to use with a Plex server that can direct play almost anything, my first recommendation is always going to be a Roku, even more so now that it's getting a much needed overhaul to its UI and the Plex developers/community seem to back it heavily. FireTV at a close second, though I do remember there being an issue with 5.1 audio output; not sure if that's been resolved.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I use a raspberry Pi with rasplex. Works great for me.

I had issues with a FTV stick, and appletv. Haven't tried Roku.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I had bought a Roku 3 when it was first released and actually transitioned to Plex with it. I was coming from using a WDTV Live (circa 2009) accessing samba shares to playback all my stuff. Going from that to Roku + Plex was super refreshing. I then used a Chromecast for a while. I recently built Steambox/Plex HTPC which is what I'm currently using, but I'm considering buying a new Roku 2.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 23, 2015

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I use Plex on a Roku 3 and it works out great. The interface isn't the absolute best ever but it works flawlessly. I've never once had audio or video skip/stutter/etc even over wireless. I'm super happy with it and thinking about picking up another Roku at some point to replace a laptop I'm using as a Plex device in another room.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

teagone posted:

Definitely not Apple TV since there's no native Plex app.

Speak for yourself, I love my Apple TV running PlexConnect, and it's the platform most likely to get the best official channels like HBO Now earlier than the others.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I have a chrome cast and I've never had an issue with plea

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I like the PHT app on my Mac mini, but that is also transcoding for all of my other local and remote tvs

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I've tried Chromecast, Roku 3, PS3, and XBone. For functionality I'd rank it Chromecast > Roku 3 > PS3 > XBone. For non techies ease of use (think trying to teach your grandma how to use it) I'd rank it Roku 3 > PS3 > XBone > Chromecast.

That said, I have a Chomecast sitting unused and prefer watching it on my XBone, just because the built in remote and on-screen display makes it easier for me to scroll through the shows and my wife and I can make suggestions on what to watch. This was a painful process when my phone was the only way to talk to the CC.

tl;dr - Roku 3 is a great Plex viewer. Go nuts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Speak for yourself, I love my Apple TV running PlexConnect, and it's the platform most likely to get the best official channels like HBO Now earlier than the others.

I'd rather not recommend a device where you need to do a workaround in order to make it a proper Plex client (though I think the Apple TV is an AirPlay target for Plex? In that case though, I'd just recommend a Chromecast). If the person I'm recommending it to is somewhat tech savvy and is heavily invested in Apple products, then yeah, I'll recommend the Apple TV for their Plex setup. Otherwise the Roku 3 is really the best no-nonsense option.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone else having issues streaming Plex onto a Sprint phone over LTE lately? I used to watch stuff while running at the gym (unlimited data plan), but for the last few weeks it's not loading anything. It looks like it's going to play, but just stays at the 0 minute mark.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
What's the easiest way to get my roommate access to my Plex server on his TV without giving him access to my account? He'd rather not buy a Roku and have yet another device plugged into his TV and apparently the Smart TV app requires an account to use, rather than just detecting the local area network server like my Roku does. I have a Chromecast, but he'd need an app (Android/iOS) or Plex account in a browser to start it up and cast, correct? There's no straight free option it looks like even though we're on the same LAN.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Mortanis posted:

What's the easiest way to get my roommate access to my Plex server on his TV without giving him access to my account? He'd rather not buy a Roku and have yet another device plugged into his TV and apparently the Smart TV app requires an account to use, rather than just detecting the local area network server like my Roku does. I have a Chromecast, but he'd need an app (Android/iOS) or Plex account in a browser to start it up and cast, correct? There's no straight free option it looks like even though we're on the same LAN.

Have him make an account on plex.tv, then you log into plex.tv and invite him to share. You can even pick and choose what libraries are available to him. That much works for free, no plexpass required.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mortanis posted:

Can your friend hook up his PC/Mac to his TV? If so, he can just install the Plex Home Theater software (it's free) and watch all your content from there since you're both on the same network; Plex HT should automatically connect to your server. He wouldn't even need to make or log in with a Plex account that way. Plex HT can be found on the downloads page: https://plex.tv/downloads

[edit] Note that Plex accounts are free to make too, as per what eddiewalker said.

[edit 2] I should overhaul the OP I guess.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 28, 2015

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Whats the current best non-pc solution for a Plex client device I can plug directly into my TV?

I want something cheapish, that wont stutter on media and that will Just Work.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

Whats the current best non-pc solution for a Plex client device I can plug directly into my TV?

Do you have a smartphone/tablet with the Plex app? If so, $35 for Chromecast would do nicely—though you might want to sit tight on that option since there might be a new Chromecast announced at Google IO later today/this week.

If you don't want to have to use your phone/tablet to send content to your TV via Plex and would rather have something more traditional with an actual, physical remote, then I'd recommend the $50 Roku Stick. You might be able to find one refurbished for like $30 or maybe have a goon sell you one for $25. Last option I suggest is the Fire TV stick for $39, but I personally have never used one with Plex so I can't comment on whether or not it being a solid option. I can vouch for the Chromecast and Roku Stick though!

teagone fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 28, 2015

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

Roku Stick, FireTV Stick or if you want to pony up a bit more money then the actual boxes themselves.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
In regards to Just Working- depends on your media with the Fire TV. It doesn't currently support ac3 5.1 audio.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

savesthedayrocks posted:

In regards to Just Working- depends on your media with the Fire TV. It doesn't currently support ac3 5.1 audio.

drat, still? I wonder if that's an issue with the Fire TV or with Plex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Pissflaps posted:

I recommend the poo poo out of Chromecast. But as mentioned above it's possible a new model will be announced today/tomorrow at I/O, so I'd wait.

If it's going to be announced it'll probably be announced during the Keynote ~12:30 EST today.