Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Voyager I posted:

It really shows how far they've come with their digital acting. Some of my favorite moments in the game have been brief facial expressions or little human touches like that. It's actually pretty exciting to see games as a medium progressing to the point where these things are possible.
The subtle expressions in this game are fantastic. Geralt's deadpan 'for gently caress's sake' look whenever peasants say something stupid gets me every time.

Oh, and if you haven't already, check out the character pane in the archive. While most of it is updated no-brainer stuff via quests as you unlock them, there's some fun information in there, especially on the smaller characers it seems kind of pointless to have there.

It's nice to know that nice old lady I cleared the monsters out for lived peacefully for the rest of her days. :3: Then there's that freed spirit that goes on to be the source of a plague that wipes out a entire coastline. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Well he can't eat silver ore.

Can't or won't? :colbert:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm just laughing at the absurdity of getting mad at a peasant for having more than nothing -- after you stole it. Truly people dislike those they have wronged. It's like the scene in Seven Samurai where the samurai learn about their ~privilege~ when they get mad at the peasants for having like, some booze and food hidden under the floorboards. Blacks peasants can't be really poor, they have $trivial_comfort!

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

To be honest, they were mad at the peasants mostly because they hunted and killed samurai who had survived battle in order to steal their equipment and money. So as lovely as the samurai come off in that scene, the peasants aren't great either.

On a similar note, though, I got a great ending to a quest where there were two opinions about how to deal with a monster, Geralt followed one solution, the other side didn't like it and decided to kill the person Geralt supported. Geralt didn't like that and in the resulting melee, everyone from both sides died while the rest of the village looked on weeping. Then Geralt went to the local blacksmith to have him polish the sword that he had used to kill five of the blacksmith's neighbors.

Related to that quest, I didn't kill the monster, but I assume it was an ancient lethen. Is there another chance to fight one? Because the ancient lethen mutagen decoction looks pretty awesome for an adrenaline caster build. I hope I didn't blow my only chance to get it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I decided to try the mouse/keyboard controls yesterday after finally getting my computer to let me actually play. I'm pleasantly surprised. I rebound a few things (dodge is now Shift, Sprint/Gallop is Ctrl, that kind of thing) and it's working better than the controller for me, which is surprising. My only complaint is that the inventory is very, very clearly designed with a controller in mind. Like how I have to click to highlight something and then press E to consume it, or how if I try to close the menu with Esc while my mouse is hovering over an inventory slot, it keeps thinking I want to select something and won't let me close the menu.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Heithinn Grasida posted:

To be honest, they were mad at the peasants mostly because they hunted and killed samurai who had survived battle in order to steal their equipment and money. So as lovely as the samurai come off in that scene, the peasants aren't great either.

On a similar note, though, I got a great ending to a quest where there were two opinions about how to deal with a monster, Geralt followed one solution, the other side didn't like it and decided to kill the person Geralt supported. Geralt didn't like that and in the resulting melee, everyone from both sides died while the rest of the village looked on weeping. Then Geralt went to the local blacksmith to have him polish the sword that he had used to kill five of the blacksmith's neighbors.

Related to that quest, I didn't kill the monster, but I assume it was an ancient lethen. Is there another chance to fight one? Because the ancient lethen mutagen decoction looks pretty awesome for an adrenaline caster build. I hope I didn't blow my only chance to get it.

I got a hilarious bug related to that quest. I took the same option that you did, but the leader of the other group seems to endlessly respawn whenever I zone back into that village, then immediately gets killed by the NPCs. It's like he's in a neverending death cycle. Also, did you know that you can pointlessly save said person you sided with? It does absolutely nothing but give you a single extra line and he dies in one hit, but it's totally doable!

I was super conflicted about that quest and actually saved to check both sides, and I was STILL conflicted. It's amazing such a small sidequest was so completely impossible for me to choose an option. Insanely good writing for such a minor thing.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Nope, it's the only one, also you missed the achievement for it, do it differently in second play-through.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Was there a way to avoid the big bar fight at the end of White Orchard? I didn't think much of it at the time, but when the bartender lady showed up at the end of Broken Flowers and accused Geralt of being a cold-blooded murderer, I started to wonder if I could've avoided that fight somehow. I was pleasantly surprised to see that brought up again, though.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

alex314 posted:

I urge anyone to read those boards you usually check for witcher contracts only, I've found this gem in Oxenfurt:

Ahahaha

For dudes that don't know Latin you probably can guess the general idea of what this says but the ancient salute is basically "gently caress Radovid in the face and sodomise him"

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
In the starting zone, when do I get to make my Witcher 2 choices?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hallowed posted:

You don't.

You make your Witcher 2 choices after you leave the starting zone.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Hallowed posted:

Before audience with emperor, while getting a shave. But that's after both the dream and white orchard

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

So I've got two items from around Novigrad that I'm told I should show Triss. Thing is, I already did her major quest in the city so she's at Kaer Morhen. The items are a magic statue and a polished crystal. Am I locked out of their associated quests or will they be available when I see her later on?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I finished the baron's quest line and am told to head to Skellige, but there's another quest for Novigrad or find Triss. Where should I head to?
Additionally, is there a fight club in Velen? I did the one in White Orchard and they're a great source of really easy money and want money.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Regarding Witchers, and how they have surprising amount of personality for being mindless mutant killing machines: it's either stated or implied in the books that Trial of Grass leave Witchers with varying amount of personality, and those that are completely washed out of personality and humanity tend to either not finish the training or die off quickly.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
If that second item's the one I'm thinking of Philippa? then you should be able to bring it up with Yen, at least by my journal.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
So I'm in the final stretch now and two things are incredibly annoying:

1) Only three Golems are apparently in the game, none of them drop a guaranteed Golem Heart, and that's a necessary item to upgrade one of your potions.
2) Only two Ekimmaras in the game, both of which drop Ekimmara Hide, but you need 4 of them to upgrade your potions.

Actually, I guess three:

3) How did no one notice that the Enhanced Moon Dust and Northern Wind recipes are broken, and why are they still broken 3 patches in?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Are there any "bad" succubi or Dopplers in this game? Their concoctions seem fairly useful, but none of those I've run across thus far have deserved to be killed imo.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The Kaer Morhen area is really pretty.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
I love the sad defeated look no name merchants are giving as they silently accept my demand for a GWENT dual.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Offkorn posted:

1) Only three Golems are apparently in the game, none of them drop a guaranteed Golem Heart, and that's a necessary item to upgrade one of your potions.
2) Only two Ekimmaras in the game, both of which drop Ekimmara Hide, but you need 4 of them to upgrade your potions.

Pretty sure there are more than three golems - even outside the plot missions there are tower out of nowhere , cheese dungeon and just a cave with a rogue golem
And three ekimmaras - dragonslayer grotto, contract where you meet with Lambert, dungeon under a village with ghouls; still not enough

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 28, 2015

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Zoltan tasked me with getting some rare gwent cards so he can pay off a debt. I've never actually played gwent, will the quest require me to do so?

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Lord Lambeth posted:

If anyone is interested what the new yen clothes look like:

If I download this piece of DLC on Galaxy, does it mean that she will never wear her original clothing again?

Spiderguy186
Jun 10, 2010

Offkorn posted:

There are randomly spawning variants of most of the creatures in the game. I don't remember where I found the Ekimmara, but there is definitely at least one in the open world.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
1) I play The Witcher 3 to play Gwent.

2) Roach is the worst vehicle in an open world game I have ever, EVER played. And I played Saints Row II to completion with a mouse and keyboard.

The auto-road thing is TERRIBLE. He will routinely leave the road he's supposed to be following, even when going at just a canter. If you're galloping there's a good chance you'll end up halfway into the next field if there's a mild bend in an otherwise straight road.

Trying to turn him AT ALL, even in the direction he's already going / the camera is pointed will 50/50 make him stop completely. He's a huge pain in the rear end to make adjustments to. I'll use the auto-road thing and every junction I get to I have to manually point down the road I want him to take, which makes sense. But instead of turning he'll decide to stop and I have to spur him back into moving.

He will get caught on the TINIEST obstacles. It's like the standard open world thing where there are certain toe-height obstacles you can't get over that stop you dead, except it happens when going at a full gallop and is extremely difficult to back up off of and go around.

I had a new one last night. I was travelling a straight path in an open field, so holding shift+W to gallop, and without hitting another key or turning the camera, Roach just decided to turn 90° on me. I don't know if he hit an invisible object or if I just couldn't see what he hit, but it sure seemed like he turned without hitting ANYTHING and that he was further cementing his place as literally the worst open world vehicle I can recall.

I want to love that stupid loving horse, I really do. It's Geralt's horse and he's pretty cool in the books, but holy loving poo poo fighting with him to do the simplest things OR THINGS THE GAME RECOMMENDS ME DO (seriously, the auto-road poo poo should work 100% guaranteed) makes me start to hate everything to do with horseback content in this game.

Other than Roach and the fact that I'm guaranteed 3 crashes a night in the four/five hours I play I'm enjoying the game. I'm a superfan of the first two games and this is STILL a fantastic game that I'm loving 99% of. It's just frustrating that if the game isn't crashing, Roach is.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Meta-Mollusk posted:

If I download this piece of DLC on Galaxy, does it mean that she will never wear her original clothing again?

There's an in-game option to turn it on or off.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Where? I like her new clothes better than the old outfit. It's more wood witch-esque

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Zoltan tasked me with getting some rare gwent cards so he can pay off a debt. I've never actually played gwent, will the quest require me to do so?

You may, but it's not needed. Quest end spoiler you may choose to get those cards in reward, those are 3 good hero units for 3 factions, so if you'd like to start now if you don't mind trek to start area.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Oh, good. Wish there was an option that makes her change between the two at times.

Someone mentioned about Hattori getting pissed off if you don't actually show up right away. Hopefully this doesn't fail the quest or anything because it's too high level for me and I just met him by accident anyway. :ohdear:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Where? I like her new clothes better than the old outfit. It's more wood witch-esque

Options -> Downloadable Content

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Someone mentioned about Hattori getting pissed off if you don't actually show up right away. Hopefully this doesn't fail the quest or anything because it's too high level for me and I just met him by accident anyway. :ohdear:

I had the issue as well, trick is to be at least 50 foot/steps away from the marker when it's the right time and then go there. Still might take him a bit to actually get there as it looks like he walks from somewhere.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm still early in the game, and I watched this video on youtube that talks about why you should play the game on easy, because the combat system is flawed, and on easy you can experience more of the better aspects of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75lZYTDK_sE

Agree, or disagree?

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

1) I play The Witcher 3 to play Gwent.

2) Roach is the worst vehicle in an open world game I have ever, EVER played. And I played Saints Row II to completion with a mouse and keyboard.

I had crashes every hour or two during the first couple days of release, fixed it by exiting Nvidia Control Centre thingy before booting up the game. Haven't crashed since.

I play on the PC with a controller and have never encountered the issues you've described with Roach in 80 hours of gameplay, so it's possibly a mouse sensitivity problem. I've had mouse issues like that in other games designed for play with a controller though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

I'm still early in the game, and I watched this video on youtube that talks about why you should play the game on easy, because the combat system is flawed, and on easy you can experience more of the better aspects of the game:

Agree, or disagree?

at least play on Normal mode. I can't imagine how boring the game would be on a baby combat mode, even given the frustration of the harder levels

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

What is it with the decoy card sometimes not letting me move left and right in a row to select the card I want?

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

ChocNitty posted:

Agree, or disagree?

The combat system is serviceable to a point, the only glaring flaws are the enemy AI which is godawful and spazzy a bunch (I'm gonna run in a circle over here and then stare at a wall while you funnel fire up my rear end!) and the "nope, you're in combat, can't do the thing you want to do like climb out of this hole" problem and the fact that even on the highest difficulties things ten levels below you (or five, if you're minmaxed) hit you for so little it doesn't even show up on your vitality bar but can still chain-stun you into a corner for several annoying seconds. The parts that suck don't have anything to do with difficulty - the parts that don't are only made better by increasing it.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I'll let you know.

I promised him to meet in the harbor, completely forgot about him, went to his shop later, got scolded for not showing up. Then I told him that I'd be there this time around (pinky swear!), forgot him AGAIN, ran into him later at night at the docks, where he triggered a dialog asking me if I was ready to go. Told him yes, ran away and embarked to Skellige islands to have some viking adventures. Haven't returned to Novigrad yet.

If he's not completely pissed off by now, then I guess you can string him along indefinetely.

Wiseblood posted:

What is it with the decoy card sometimes not letting me move left and right in a row to select the card I want?

Going in the opposite direction first fixes it most of the time.
If that fails (and you're on PC), just use the mouse.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 28, 2015

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

mcbexx posted:

I'll let you know.

I promised him to meet in the harbor, completely forgot about him, went to his shop later, got scolded for not showing up. Then I told him that I'd be there this time around (pinky swear!), forgot him AGAIN, ran into him later at night at the docks, where he triggered a dialog asking me if I was ready to go. Told him yes, ran away and embarked to Skellige islands to have some viking adventures. Haven't returned to Novigrad yet.

If he's not completely pissed off by now, then I guess you can string him along indefinetely.

If you CAN piss him off for good that would really suck, since he's the one and only master-level blacksmith in the entire game.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Is there a way to turn off the fish eye effect for witchersense on PS4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Infinity Gaia posted:

If you CAN piss him off for good that would really suck, since he's the one and only master-level blacksmith in the entire game.

Oh... :ohdear: