Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

How do we know Cersei wasn't raped? The scene happened from Jamies POV; what he saw and felt at the time could be completely different from what Cersei saw and felt. Saying that a mans POV is the default way of viewing something is hosed up and gross.

Yeah.

Go read that scene again, or better yet since it's obvious you never have, go read it for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Megasabin posted:

Just reading through the last 20 pages of the thread makes it really obvious that it's pretty much impossible for the show to be enjoyed by hardcore book readers. You guys have impossible, often contradicting, expectations. Plenty of times on the very same page there are people angry at the show for diverging from the book too much, right next to complaints about how they followed the book too closely and should have done more interesting stuff. There's just no way to make everyone happy.

Wouldn't need ideas on how to make the show better if the show was just better in the first place.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Alec Eiffel posted:

Ramsay gets a lot of screentime because Iwan Rheon is one of two people (Bronn being the other) actually having fun playing their part.
Have you read or listened to anything said by the cast outside the show?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What do you think the odds are of Sansa being knocked up next season?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Solice Kirsk posted:

What do you think the odds are of Sansa being knocked up next season?

Based on her current state of mind she will simply drink some moon tea if that should be the case. Westeros is very pro choice in that way.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Q for GRRM: does Ramsay pull out?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

El Hefe posted:

Go read that scene again, or better yet since it's obvious you never have, go read it for the first time.

For the lazy:

http://www.avclub.com/article/rape-thrones-203499

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I see the AV Club continues to be garbage. It's good to be reminded every so often.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 28, 2015

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
“Hurry,” she was whispering now, “quickly, quickly, now, do it now, do me now. Jaime Jaime Jaime.” Her hands helped guide him. “Yes,” Cersei said as he thrust, “my brother, sweet brother, yes, like that, yes, I have you, you’re home now, you’re home now, you’re home.” She kissed his ear and stroked his short bristly hair. Jaime lost himself in her flesh. He could feel Cersei’s heart beating in time with his own, and the wetness of blood and seed where they were joined.

Clearly Jaime brutally raped Cersei, another job well done by the show writers.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

El Hefe posted:

“Hurry,” she was whispering now, “quickly, quickly, now, do it now, do me now. Jaime Jaime Jaime.” Her hands helped guide him. “Yes,” Cersei said as he thrust, “my brother, sweet brother, yes, like that, yes, I have you, you’re home now, you’re home now, you’re home.” She kissed his ear and stroked his short bristly hair. Jaime lost himself in her flesh. He could feel Cersei’s heart beating in time with his own, and the wetness of blood and seed where they were joined.

Now post the fat pink mast passage so I can finish

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

BlindSite posted:

Very well:

“Sam found himself kissing her back. I said the words, he thought, but her hands were tugging at his blacks, pulling at the laces of his breeches. He broke off the kiss long enough to say, “We can’t,” but Gilly said, “We can,” and covered his mouth with her own again. The Cinnamon Wind was spinning all around them and he could taste the rum on Gilly’s tongue and the next thing her breasts were bare and he was touching them. I said the words, Sam thought again, but one of her nipples found its way between his lips. It was pink and hard and when he sucked on it her milk filled his mouth, mingling with the taste of rum, and he had never tasted anything so fine and sweet and good. If I do this I am no better than Dareon, Sam thought, but it felt too good to stop. And suddenly his cock was out, jutting upward from his breeches like a fat pink mast. It looked so silly standing there that he might have laughed, but Gilly pushed him back onto her pallet, hiked her skirts up around her thighs, and lowered herself onto him”

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

BlindSite posted:

http://tindeck.com/listen/utrz

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

El Hefe posted:

Here's a reasonable complaint: Don't rape Sansa or Cersei since they were never raped in the books.

D&D thought that raping both these women would enhance our TV viewing experience though, even if they were never raped in the most raped filled book series in the history of mankind.

Ok, thats not *really* a reasonable complaint unless you buy into the idea that depicting rape in fiction is in and of itself bad, or you think that just because it didn't happen in the books its bad.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

an skeleton posted:

Ok, thats not *really* a reasonable complaint unless you buy into the idea that depicting rape in fiction is in and of itself bad, or you think that just because it didn't happen in the books its bad.

You know what gently caress it, let's just see every character in the show get raped.

I hope Arya gets raped in the next episode!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

an skeleton posted:

It's actually entirely reasonable if being outraged on the internet is your hobby, and it's been a slow week.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Darko posted:

All the stuff in the books that "replaced" central drama was all spread out across the world, was based on introducing new characters to replace the old ones, which is lame as gently caress TV (as it comes off as trying to recapture magic), etc. etc. etc.

That's pretty much the show Sand Snakes in a nutshell though.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I think people would feel more of a sense of loss about the Tyrion-Dany stuff if GRRM hadn't said he doesn't even plan on having them meet in the first part of the next book.

He's lost his drat mind.

I'm not so sure why this matters to much to so many people. I mean, I'm sure that seeing Dany and Tyrion interact in the show will be cool and everything, so alright. I could've seen a situation where Tyrion reaches Meereen slightly faster in the novels and has a chance to be like brought before Dany in chains and plead his case to her, but Dany is gonna have to leave Meereen at the end of the book regardless and she ain't coming back right away, so of course if they hadn't already met in ADWD she's not gonna meet him at the beginning of the next book. I don't see why that's such a shocking bit of information to people. Why do people think she left Meereen on the back of Drogon at the end of ADWD? Just because GRRM wanted her to fly on a dragon?

El Hefe posted:

Here's a reasonable complaint: Don't rape Sansa or Cersei since they were never raped in the books.

D&D thought that raping both these women would enhance our TV viewing experience though, even if they were never raped in the most raped filled book series in the history of mankind.

My main complaint isn't necessarily about Sansa getting raped, but it has more to do with the whole Winterfell storyline this season. I mean, I get that the Winterfell storyline in ADWD is great and that they want to do a somewhat faithful adaption but when they put Sansa in the place of Jeyne Poole I thought that would necessitate some larger changes within the Winterfell storyline, since Jeyne Poole and Sansa are different characters. But to me it really seems like they just put Sansa in there 'cuz they thought (probably correctly) that nobody would know who the gently caress Jeyne Poole was and that's it. So the Winterfell storyline is just Sansa's King's Landing storyline 2.0, when I thought her story would go in a different direction after she escaped from King's Landing. Like alright, I understand that even in the Eyrie Sansa's not completely safe but at least it's not "Sansa is trapped here with a psychopathic guy except a lot worse". I mean sure she's "trapped" with Petyr Baelish as his daughter Alayne and he's a creepy dude who's creepin' on her and he's probably using her but at the same time she's not in constant fear of physical violence nor is she surrounded by enemies who literally killed her family, so her temperament is markedly different.

Mischitary fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 28, 2015

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
For me the big problem with the Winterfell scenes this season is that it feels all so small and banal, which is best symbolized by the dinner where all 5 named characters are in the same room. In contrast the book almost makes indoor Winterfell, which only has the gates and Great Hall reconstructed with the rest of the castle being burned out ruins, feel claustrophobic, with the snowstorm raging outside and a great many of Northern Lords being forced to attend the wedding in addition to Abel and his washerwoman. It further shows that the "game" is played in leagues, with not just the Westeros National League in King's Landing but that there is a Northern Regional League too.

In the show it's just the Bolton torture show until we finally get to the point where Sansa gets rescued.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Has anyone changed their minds at all about the Sansa rape from last week? Or am I alone? Because I think I've come around on it. Ha.

This was me last week.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

That was stupid. Why would Sansa agree to marry him? Why would she agree to Littlefinger's plan? I thought she at least would have tried to stab him when they were alone in the room. But she planned nothing? This is officially a bad show.

The first problem I had was it didn't make any sense to me. But after watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcnwhMrVJjg#t=61m explain it, I can understand what they were going for. She walked into the bedroom intending to consent but Ramsay turned it into a nightmare that she wasn't prepared to consent to. I can even appreciate the realism in a girl in her mid teens thinking she could go through with a dangerous plan but finding herself in way over her head. She's not a bad or weak character just because she couldn't manipulate Ramsay. She thought she could but she didn't even try because she's terrified after seeing what he was like. That is pretty believable actually. Way more believable than thinking she was transformed by Littlefinger overnight into a master manipulater.

I also thought they were saying she was willing to put up with the rape and torment to achieve vengeance (which would be silly, unreal, and sexist). If that wasn't the case, I thought she would take Jeyne Poole's place completely and just be a helpless victim waiting for someone to rescue her. (which would destroy her arc) Both of those turned out to not be true. (So far) The episode made it clear that 1. She wants to leave, it had an effect on her, and this isn't what she signed on for and 2. Theon isn't going to do jack poo poo on his own. She will have to do something herself hopefully. She did pick up a sharp weapon. She's not giving up on life. She's still strong for not just succumbing to her fate as a prisoner. (As she pretty much did in KL)

It's a nice touch as well that she agreed to marry to get revenge and never said the word "No." or tried to fight, yet it was still rape. They weren't over the top in your face with it. You could see it as making a strong statement against marital rape.

As much bitching as I did about it here, it was odd that when the episode aired, I was more invested in the Winterfell storyline than any other. That's the one thing I couldn't wait to see. I want to see good things happen to her more than anything else in this show now. So if I'm invested into the story, think it's a more powerful one than her marrying Harry the Heir, and I no longer feel it made her a weak character, I guess I'm saying they're doing a good job here.

Anyone who hated it willing to give them credit for handling it better than you thought they would?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I loving love how lovely this thread gets between Tuesday and Sunday afternoon.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

El Hefe posted:

Yeah, the thing is that scene is ridiculous. It is completely ridiculous that Cersei and Jamie would have consensual, passionate sex right then and there after their son died. It's just preposterous. It's also completely ridiculous and preposterous that Khal Drogo has consensual sex with Daenerys on her wedding night. Just complete dumb poo poo.

Pretend it was the other way around. In the books, Drogo rapes Dany. In the show, he's way nicer. What would everyone think? That they sanitized it for the dumb babies in the audience, or whatever. Or if Sansa was raped in the books but in the show it was Jeyne. "Whoa, way to dumb it down, writers. Who cares about Jeyne? Didn't have the balls to rape a main character?"

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 28, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I can't believe Gilly raped Sam

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Christ what a bad article.

It's also horribly amusing to see the author lying about things like Dany's age to make the Drogo/Dany scene sound better. Nowhere else would you see people sincerely saying "It was OK when the grown man groped and fingered the crying 12 year old before asking if it was OK to gently caress her." I hate the Sansa scene but I'll defend what D&D did with Dany/Drogo in the show. They aged her up, so to convey the Stockholm Syndrome-ness of the situation they had to make the rape more explicit. Why? Because you're not supposed to admire Drogo for his gentleness, and when Dany reminisces about him you're not supposed to think how adorable it is. In the books Dany even has moments of lucidity when she realizes how lucky she was that Drogo was amused by her trying to stop the khalasar's brutality, because if he had been cruel or indifferent it could have been (even more of) a nightmare. In the end, the Dany/Drogo rape scene is not gratuitous or lazy because it all plays into Dany's character arc: her empathy for oppressed people, and her war against slavery later on. Unlike the Sansa scene.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Has anyone changed their minds at all about the Sansa rape from last week? Or am I alone? Because I think I've come around on it. Ha.

Anyone who hated it willing to give them credit for handling it better than you thought they would?

No.

halwain
May 31, 2011
Maybe euron will attack the reach. Sam will actually sail to highgarden first and meets the tyrel and his family.
Bacause of the greyjoy attack highgarden wont be able to supply kings landing with grain and tommen is even more hosed.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I admit I've cooled off over the rape and the show spent a lot of time setting it up and telling us it was more or less going to happen. I think I'm more cheesed off with Sansa's story direction now rather than that. The guy who said the amount of time we've spent with Ramsey is never going to have a good pay off is right. I think his actor is great but he's just not a very important or interesting character.

In Blackadder after the first season was bad they cut the budget like crazy, cut out the extras and just had characters talking in a room. It worked because it was funny but it's kinda weird that this huge budget TV show feels like it's doing the exact same thing.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 28, 2015

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Uh, I don't remember the lactating in Sam's sex scene. Uh wow, that's worse than the "fat pink mast" line.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Fat pink mast was good, but all the mother's milk poo poo was god-tier.

I won't hear otherwise.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Tired Moritz posted:

Uh, I don't remember the lactating in Sam's sex scene. Uh wow, that's worse than the "fat pink mast" line.

Eh, it happens. I've gotten a taste of breast milk many a time over the years my partner has been breastfeeding our kids

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

GURM takes years to write a TV season worth of story and he is actually good at it. Show writers can't afford poo poo like that.

I'm afraid from now on it's sandsnake-rescues all the way until it's over. :reject:

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

El Hefe posted:

Very well:

“Sam found himself kissing her back. I said the words, he thought, but her hands were tugging at his blacks, pulling at the laces of his breeches. He broke off the kiss long enough to say, “We can’t,” but Gilly said, “We can,” and covered his mouth with her own again. The Cinnamon Wind was spinning all around them and he could taste the rum on Gilly’s tongue and the next thing her breasts were bare and he was touching them. I said the words, Sam thought again, but one of her nipples found its way between his lips. It was pink and hard and when he sucked on it her milk filled his mouth, mingling with the taste of rum, and he had never tasted anything so fine and sweet and good. If I do this I am no better than Dareon, Sam thought, but it felt too good to stop. And suddenly his cock was out, jutting upward from his breeches like a fat pink mast. It looked so silly standing there that he might have laughed, but Gilly pushed him back onto her pallet, hiked her skirts up around her thighs, and lowered herself onto him”

Sam actually rapes Gilly when he tries to stop but that other guy makes him continue. Sam is a rapist.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

She says no a bunch of times, but through the magical power of love and cock she changes her mind and enjoys it.

That's just male fantasy rape, kind of like all those hentai scenes. Still rape though.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

waitwhatno posted:

GURM takes years to write a TV season worth of story and he is actually good at it. Show writers can't afford poo poo like that.

"We realized we were running out of time to come up with a good solution to our plotting and pacing issues and Dave Hill suggested we show more titties. This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

starkebn posted:

Eh, it happens. I've gotten a taste of breast milk many a time over the years my partner has been breastfeeding our kids

Too much information.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Yeah, the thing is that scene is ridiculous. It is completely ridiculous that Cersei and Jamie would have consensual, passionate sex right then and there after their son died. It's just preposterous. It's also completely ridiculous and preposterous that Khal Drogo has consensual sex with Daenerys on her wedding night. Just complete dumb poo poo.

Pretend it was the other way around. In the books, Drogo rapes Dany. In the show, he's way nicer. What would everyone think? That they sanitized it for the dumb babies in the audience, or whatever. Or if Sansa was raped in the books but in the show it was Jeyne. "Whoa, way to dumb it down, writers. Who cares about Jeyne? Didn't have the balls to rape a main character?"

Actually it's not unrealistic or ridiculous at all because Jaime and Cersei are both insane.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bad poo poo has been happening to Sansa cause she's gonna snap and go loving nuts stabbing Ramsay in 2 episodes with a corkscrew while Pod stands there like dang calm down.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Cygni posted:

Bad poo poo has been happening to Sansa cause she's gonna snap and go loving nuts stabbing Ramsay in 2 episodes with a corkscrew while Pod stands there like dang calm down.

Or more likely Ramsay will effortlessly grab her arm and make her watch him torture someone as punishment. Scene fades out on Theon's shaking sad eyes thing he always does.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I forgot about the corkscrew. I can't believe that's going to be an actual plot point.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

hemale in pain posted:

I forgot about the corkscrew. I can't believe that's going to be an actual plot point.

Is that what that was? I assumed someone just left a dagger unattended in the courtyard. Honestly makes more sense than a corkscrew.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Well a man can own a woman or a man can own a corkscrew, you know how the saying goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

GaussianCopula posted:

For me the big problem with the Winterfell scenes this season is that it feels all so small and banal, which is best symbolized by the dinner where all 5 named characters are in the same room. In contrast the book almost makes indoor Winterfell, which only has the gates and Great Hall reconstructed with the rest of the castle being burned out ruins, feel claustrophobic, with the snowstorm raging outside and a great many of Northern Lords being forced to attend the wedding in addition to Abel and his washerwoman. It further shows that the "game" is played in leagues, with not just the Westeros National League in King's Landing but that there is a Northern Regional League too.

In the show it's just the Bolton torture show until we finally get to the point where Sansa gets rescued.

Yeah what makes Theon's storyline in ADWD as interesting as it is is how he gets to see the perspective of all these different Northern Lords, and heck even Roose confides in him, because no one is afraid of him.

The Show storyline coulda benefited from having a couple named northern characters introduced, and less like, Myranda. Have someone like, if not actually, Wyman Manderly show up. Have the Freys be there. Have Roose and Ramsay actually interact with other Northerners rather than talk about them in passing and how they flayed them. Too much is weirdly off screen.

• Locked thread