Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Crowley posted:

If you mounted it correctly it's still accessible when racked. :v:

Regarding BYOD:
You can BYOD under the following conditions:
  • You pay for it yourself.
  • It can only connect to the insecure BYOD WiFi.
  • We offer absolutely NO support for your device. Follow the guides on the intranet and connect to Citrix.. or don't, we don't care.

Of course, people still demand support arguing that "I saved us $1500 buying my own MacBook, you're SAVING COMPANY MONEY by spending five hours setting it up for me!".
No. gently caress Off. Take this Company Issued Laptop if you want support.
This is the BYOD policy I am trying to push through right now, but I also added that IT will have full access to the devices and we are not liable for any damage done to the device even if we caused it. Oh, the security updates we forced you to accept on your brand new $700 cell before you could access our email, they bricked it? Sucks to be you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Sirotan posted:

A bunny came in...

:3: :3:

Oh my god how are you getting any work done?

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.

Spazz posted:

I used to do the same thing, and I honestly suffered a lot because of it. I became the go-to guy for getting poo poo done at my old job, which meant that I would always be overworked and get stuff dumped on me. I also ate poo poo on an FCC reportable outage when my supervisor let me go home early on a Friday morning, and then blamed an outage on me because the person who was supposed to take over the NOC was too busy loving off. I stopped believing in the "taking one for the team" mentality after having to defend my job to my director as the shitheel supervisor sat there and let it happen.

Today is the day you leave behind your PFY days... become the BOFH.

That was me at my last few jobs as well.

Someone told me "Don't set yourself on fire to keep someone else warm" and that really hit home with me.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Vicas posted:

this saga is really the highlight of the thread recently (sorry larchesdanrew)

I agree.

Lookit dat foot :3:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MJP posted:

Speaking of which, I think I just got some kind of new either Indo-Englishism or businesswordist phrase from our CFO.

Worst part, he's been out of India for years and is a Canadian citizen.

"Let us action" sounds like some kind of 90s dance track.

I dunno, using "action" as a verb seems to have been around for a while. It's the natural evolution of everything being actionable or an action item.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I'm getting hungry looking at that rabbit. I wonder if you can make rabbit stew?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

:yotj:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Asmodai_00 posted:

Oh my god how are you getting any work done?

Bunny is in a closed door training session in a room next door. I probably can't see him again until they break for lunch. :(

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Sirotan posted:

A bunny came in...

Bunny day is the best day.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

I just spent the last few days trying to figure out why, all of a sudden, all of our weather cameras around the state have suddenly stopped transmitting weather data. We still can pull a video feed and control the cameras, but the monitoring equipment is no longer sending us information. I've been unsuccessful in reaching any of our reps or the company's tech support.

Welp, turns out they went bankrupt and just completely shut down overnight. Unplugged all their servers and shut their doors and didn't mention anything to their clients.

Silver lining: Now we're forced to invest in a new system that will support HD video feeds we can play out directly from a server mounted machine, rather than pushing a screencap from a browser window in IE8.

Also, regarding my "goon in a well" nature. You're right, I'm a pushover with absolutely no guts. I need to stop being afraid of displeasing people at my own expense. I need to stand up for myself. If I get fired for it, then gently caress this place. It's been almost two years since I started here. I'm not the new guy anymore and it's time to start making some waves and shaping this place to suit my needs.

First on the list is I'm getting my damned ticketing system one way or another. If I haven't reported a success by the end of next week, just go ahead and exile me.
Yea, you're in technology. You have a lot of mobility so long as you are willing to learn new stuff and move.

Lol at that vendor disappearing. Like someone else mentioned, that place sounds like it'll gently caress you up if you stay there too long. Someone at the top or the culture at the top is toxic and it affects the hiring process and the personalities they bring on.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Details, man!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RadicalR posted:

I'm getting hungry looking at that rabbit. I wonder if you can make rabbit stew?

Sirotan posted:

Bunny is in a closed door training session in a room next door. I probably can't see him again until they break for lunch. :(

Noooooooooo! Rescue mission!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

FreshFeesh posted:

Details, man!
Moving to a new gig at Oracle?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Trying to get our servers PCI compliant before I :yotj: is fun. Especially when I have to wait 24 hours between external scans to see if the fixes I put through are sufficient for them.

2 more days though.... 2 more days.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Crowley posted:

If you mounted it correctly it's still accessible when racked. :v:

I didn't rack it. There is a horrible cable tangle at the back of the rack that I have to resolve before I can think of sliding anything out. Basically I have to unplug absolutely everything, re-route and velcro it all.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Honestly, I feel a little bad for the bunny. He's in there in a small little cage, he knocked over his food bowl, and is just kinda trembling in the corner. I just tired to entice him with a couple blueberries from my lunch and he just sat there scared shitless. I hope his new home will be a little better than his old one. :(

(I gave him a pile of fresh hay so he should be good on food for the rest of the day.)

Anyway since that was kind of a downer, here's a photo of my spoiled rodents at home. Years ago I didn't know any better either and had my pigs living in cages that were way too small, today they live in the 2-story cavy condo.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Sham I Am posted:

This is the BYOD policy I am trying to push through right now, but I also added that IT will have full access to the devices and we are not liable for any damage done to the device even if we caused it. Oh, the security updates we forced you to accept on your brand new $700 cell before you could access our email, they bricked it? Sucks to be you.

Wow your company sounds like a lovely place to work if you break someone's phone and don't take responsibility.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sirotan posted:

Honestly, I feel a little bad for the bunny. He's in there in a small little cage, he knocked over his food bowl, and is just kinda trembling in the corner. I just tired to entice him with a couple blueberries from my lunch and he just sat there scared shitless. I hope his new home will be a little better than his old one. :(

(I gave him a pile of fresh hay so he should be good on food for the rest of the day.)

Anyway since that was kind of a downer, here's a photo of my spoiled rodents at home. Years ago I didn't know any better either and had my pigs living in cages that were way too small, today they live in the 2-story cavy condo.

A whole collection of North American Skunk-apes!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

RadicalR posted:

rabbit stew is amazing fyi

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sirotan posted:

A bunny came in...

My office manager agrees that having a bunny around is a great idea...

My office manager.

(I telecommute)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Am I being dumb because a policy that says "pick one of these three laptops, we're going to reimage the thing and be in complete control of it" doesn't sound anything like BYOD.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
its because BYOD is stupid

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

KoRMaK posted:

Moving to a new gig at Oracle?

lol.

Me right now after getting through arduous recruitment process :slick:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I threw my hat in the ring for another vertical position, a VMware/Windows engineer for a small company in NYC. Two short blocks from Penn Station's normal NJ Transit arrival/departure tracks if you gear for the 8th Ave exit (yes), one block from Soup Spot (YES) and one block from a hobby shop geared towards ADTRWists like myself (DOUBLE YES) with a fairly good sized (minimum 20% if not better) bump in salary and a few more vacation/personal/sick days.

C'mon, YotJ

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Bigass Moth posted:

Wow your company sounds like a lovely place to work if you break someone's phone and don't take responsibility.
Its not as if we force them to use a personal phone for our email. Everyone that is required or has a legitimate reason to have email on their phone is given a company phone. For everyone else we have a web interface they can access email if they want. if they still want to attach company email to their private phone, and their boss OK's it, they have to take their chances.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

RFC2324 posted:

I WANT THE BUNNY!!!!!!

:kimchi: :kimchi:
Please submit a ticket for this request, along with proper managerial approval for the acquisition of a new item.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

Also, regarding my "goon in a well" nature. You're right, I'm a pushover with absolutely no guts. I need to stop being afraid of displeasing people at my own expense. I need to stand up for myself. If I get fired for it, then gently caress this place. It's been almost two years since I started here. I'm not the new guy anymore and it's time to start making some waves and shaping this place to suit my needs.

First on the list is I'm getting my damned ticketing system one way or another. If I haven't reported a success by the end of next week, just go ahead and exile me.

:regd10:

Listen to some metal or something for a while to get you in the right mindset. Bonus if you set up the PA system to broadcast it in your wake as you Assert Yourself all over the office. Godspeed goonsir.

Sirotan posted:

A bunny came in...

That's a tribble with ears.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The bunny got some time out in the grass today before going home with his new owner. God speed, bunny. :patriot:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Am I being dumb because a policy that says "pick one of these three laptops, we're going to reimage the thing and be in complete control of it" doesn't sound anything like BYOD.

CYOD is the new BYOD and imo it's way better

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
BYOOP (bring your own office pet).

I think I will try and squeeze an office puppy into the next budget.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

every one remembers server room puppy right?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I prefer the server room lizard.

An old ticket was reviewed: "We found no issues with her printer. We suspect that it did not like the 249-page print job that she was trying to push through."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sirotan posted:

Rabbits just don't travel very easily. He'll be fine.

Also, I highly advise against anybody thinking about a server room rabbit unless you really enjoy resolving user connectivity issues and power outages.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Picked up a new client earlier this year, they've been riding out a few bad months thanks to oil pricing but its steady now so I went in today to discuss server replacement etc. They mention some of the workstations have been acting strangely lately. Look at one, disk errors in Event Viewer, SMART errors from drive. Go to another, same thing. Both identical HPs. The other 5 having issues? The same loving HPs.

Thats right, 7 identical drives failing in the same week period. Welp for them.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

go3 posted:

Picked up a new client earlier this year, they've been riding out a few bad months thanks to oil pricing but its steady now so I went in today to discuss server replacement etc. They mention some of the workstations have been acting strangely lately. Look at one, disk errors in Event Viewer, SMART errors from drive. Go to another, same thing. Both identical HPs. The other 5 having issues? The same loving HPs.

Thats right, 7 identical drives failing in the same week period. Welp for them.

Sounds like billable work to me. Tell them to open that checkbook and make it payable to Cash.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Sounds like billable work to me. Tell them to open that checkbook and make it payable to Cash.

Bet all the drives are Seagates.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Killer_B posted:

Bet all the drives are Seagates.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Office bunny has stolen all of office puppys thunder :(

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

evobatman posted:

Office bunny has stolen all of office puppys thunder :(

Post pics

E: oic this was in December. Do you really expect us to remember that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhiwau
Sep 13, 2005
Wouldn't everything look more dull without this message?
Lots of calls came in. Users coming in for the day couldn't get to network drives and the internet and their computers were asking them what kind of network they're on. Ipconfig showed weird addresses. Release/renew and reset usually resolved this, sometimes it had to be done twice.

While I was running around resolving this and searching looking for a possible rogue dhcp my boss, who was away, called to check in and I tell him about this. He goes OOOOOH poo poo! There's a small switch by my laptop, unplug it! Never a dull moment...

• Locked thread