Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Every year is an anniversary year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Admitedly the anniversary part was an assumption on my part due to Drive being the 25th season and mistakenly assuming it had been five years since the last anniversary show (Fourze) already but yeah, thinking about it now that is next year so never mind then (unless Kamen Rider handles their anniversaries different than Sentai does, I'm not sure)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 25, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I know that at least the next Sentai's gonna be the 40th, so they might have something planned if they didn't blow their anniversary wad with Gokaiger.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Watch it be a direct sequel to Decade.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Waffleman_ posted:

I know that at least the next Sentai's gonna be the 40th, so they might have something planned if they didn't blow their anniversary wad with Gokaiger.

I just hope they do a ranger key set catching up with ToQ, Ninnin and 40th...

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Waffleman_ posted:

So what anniversary would Ghost be celebrating? I think it's like a year early to be the 45th anniversary, unless you're counting it airing into next year as year 45.

Well, the OOO movie had the All Rider Kick, even though Fourze was the actual celebration series, so they probably are doing that again.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

jivjov posted:

I just hope they do a ranger key set catching up with ToQ, Ninnin and 40th...

The 40th Sentai series is going to be Akibaranger season 3: OFFICIAL Sentai Akibaranger!

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
Holy poo poo Nagi actually got to do something this week.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Brother Entropy posted:

Can't wait for the inevitable Rider Ghost / Ghost Writer crossover fanart

I cannot believe your mind goes to Ghost Writer before

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Shaezerus posted:

I was legitimately going to post 'holy poo poo a Nagi Episode' instead of some sort of analysis on why the show was so bad. Seeing Nagi actually have scenes by himself and inteacting with people was neat.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Pyroi posted:

Well, the OOO movie had the All Rider Kick, even though Fourze was the actual celebration series, so they probably are doing that again.

OOO also had the 1,OOOth Rider episode.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Potsticker posted:

OOO also had the 1,OOOth Rider episode.

I watched that today and I have no idea what to think

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cyphoderus posted:

OOOs is a good show.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cyphoderus posted:

I'll step in on OOOs behalf right quick.

Kamen Rider OOO was made when that Earthquake hit Japan a few years back. So not only was there a bit of a jumble in the pacing of the show, but also the production of it.

Namely they kind of retooled the show really hard in the late 10s and into the 20s to make it a lot more...light hearted? Optimistic? Not sure what the correct wording is here, and the biggest changes I won't go into until you finish the series.

It definitely meant a lot more comedic episodes, which either hit or miss depending on your tastes.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Overall, a good series, it does drag after episode 20ish or so, but it does finish well. It's not the worst rider series out there for sure, and let's face it: Cakeboss is kickass.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shaezerus posted:

Though the fight was still entirely Takaharu/Star, and Takaharu was still the one to rescue everyone. I guess I shouldn't ask for much, at least Nagi did something this week instead of being a living prop. Though I can't help but feeling that his need for help in his homework really makes no sense when his only character trait to this point was "really good with books".

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

I'll step in on OOOs behalf right quick.

Kamen Rider OOO was made when that Earthquake hit Japan a few years back. So not only was there a bit of a jumble in the pacing of the show, but also the production of it.

Namely they kind of retooled the show really hard in the late 10s and into the 20s to make it a lot more...light hearted? Optimistic? Not sure what the correct wording is here, and the biggest changes I won't go into until you finish the series.

It definitely meant a lot more comedic episodes, which either hit or miss depending on your tastes.

Unfortunately that switch to a lighter mood caused a very problematic and much more noticeable mood swing/tonal clash when they tried to switch back to being serious around the time they brought in both the Purple Core Medals and the Purple Yummies that in my opinion made most of the episodes between Shauta's debut and the finale completely unwatchable(and I still believe you can skip almost all of those episodes and not really miss anything), which isn't helped by Eiji being quite possibly the most incompetent Main Rider the franchise has ever seen(which makes a lot of OOO's fight scenes painfully boring to watch)

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Until the movie came out, I thought Ghost Rider was just a cool Rollins Band song, and it's not even that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That Drive preview :suspense:

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

deadly_pudding posted:

Wizard also had a really good "turn into super mode for the first time" scene, although Double's was kinda similar and also paid off better.

God dammit, Wizard, how did you gently caress up "real life sorceror Soma Haruto lives in an antique store and solves magic problems"? He could have been Japanese Dresden Files :negative:
I still wish he was a stage magician and his personality was that of Joseph Joestar's, where he bullshits his way through fights with the most random ability sets ever...

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 26, 2015

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Working through the sentai backlog and why is it that every series I like is apparently a total bust in the east? Both Gokaiger and Gekiranger were apparently flops over there when at least the former was clearly the best thing ever. :colbert:

Ninninger has been okay so far. I started there so I'm somewhat attached to it, but I'm also a little disappointed in it after watching a couple of the other series. Red's catchphrase is annoying, too.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

Working through the sentai backlog and why is it that every series I like is apparently a total bust in the east? Both Gokaiger and Gekiranger were apparently flops over there when at least the former was clearly the best thing ever. :colbert:

Ninninger has been okay so far. I started there so I'm somewhat attached to it, but I'm also a little disappointed in it after watching a couple of the other series. Red's catchphrase is annoying, too.

Gokaiger did pretty good, actually. Sentai just doesn't have as much pull as it used to, and God knows airing against Pokemon doesn't help it at all.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU

Twelve by Pies posted:

Randomly the other day I remembered the episode of Simpsons where Homer starts working out and notices the gym, pronouncing it as "Gaim." Sadly it does not seem as if anyone has taken Homer asking "What's a Gaim?" and put a clip of Kamen Rider Gaim afterwards, then Homer saying "Oh, a Gaim."

I feel this is a missed opportunity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHZRqVPCCko

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Watching Drive today made me realize just how quick Shinosuke is to use his upgrades; I finally finished Fourze's last 6 episodes this weekend, and the sheet difference between the two is incredible; at times Fourze spends the majority of an episode in their base forms, then immediately super modes and kills the bad guy, while Shinosuke literally starts a fight in Type Formula this week.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Ninninger scans make it look like Dad gets to be purple ninja and his mech is a Surfer dude

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Dr Tran posted:

Ninninger scans make it look like Dad gets to be purple ninja and his mech is a Surfer dude

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dr Tran posted:

Holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo

Please be acuraaaaaate

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Oh my god it's everything I wanted.

Dr Tran posted:

No wait. I take it back. THIS is everything I wanted.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

mikeycp posted:

Watch it be a direct sequel to Decade.

Good. I need more smarmy Riders. The first Super Hero Wars is a terrible way to send off Diend.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Question, is there any significance to Grandpa Ninja using "they" and "them" to refer to Kyuuemon rather than "she" and "her"?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Dr Tran posted:

Post them

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Xelkelvos posted:

That Drive preview :suspense:
So it's definitely looking like we're getting the "final upgrade brings the main character back to life, at the same time bringing the secondary rider back to the side of good" thing again?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Poison Mushroom posted:

So it's definitely looking like we're getting the "final upgrade brings the main character back to life, at the same time bringing the secondary rider back to the side of good" thing again?

I wonder if they'll pay off on the implied transhumanism thing back in the first couple episodes when Mr. Belt told Shinnosuke that only he could be Drive.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

deadly_pudding posted:

I wonder if they'll pay off on the implied transhumanism thing back in the first couple episodes when Mr. Belt told Shinnosuke that only he could be Drive.
I just thought that was another excuse for the KR series to poo poo all over their cool female characters again, honestly. :shrug: It'd be nice if it tied in with the your dad was the only one immune to the memory erasure, though.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I feel like that's where it's going. It seems like, obviously, not just anyone can be Drive, it has to be someone who is unique in that way. I mean the first candidate was Chase, who is a full on robot. The only odd one out is Go, but he's not even using the Drive System, he's using something Harley made instead and it seemed like originally he was on a strict time limit of how long he could transform or something because of that time he literally fell asleep after untransforming.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Stallion Cabana posted:

I feel like that's where it's going. It seems like, obviously, not just anyone can be Drive, it has to be someone who is unique in that way. I mean the first candidate was Chase, who is a full on robot. The only odd one out is Go, but he's not even using the Drive System, he's using something Harley made instead and it seemed like originally he was on a strict time limit of how long he could transform or something because of that time he literally fell asleep after untransforming.

The Next System Go uses hasn't got an intelligence in it like the Drive System does, causing it to put Go under very heavy stress on use. This was outright said multiple times. The weakness was kind of forgotten after a while though, I guess mastering Deadheat also made him far more resistant or something.

In theory Chase should be under just as much stress, but being a machine he's likely unaffected or at least not as affected as a human would be.

And yeah, I think that the Drive System needs special people too. At first I did think that it was just Kiriko being too weak for the Drive System somehow (despite being more of a badass than Shin himself), but it seems like Shinnosuke and his dad were just not normal to begin with, being totally immune to Freeze's abilities out of sheer will.

...and I just realized that Sanjo is literally ripping himself off. Cop Rider that has a natural immunity to the big bad's monster powers. Terui got his own series!

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Blaze Dragon posted:

...and I just realized that Sanjo is literally ripping himself off. Cop Rider that has a natural immunity to the big bad's monster powers. Terui got his own series!

He's also ripping himself off with killing a main character just to bring them back in the next episode. It happened with Philip in W, Utchy in Kyoryuger and he wrote the Aries episodes of Fourze where it happened to Gentaro. And now he's probably doing it with Shinnosuke.

I love Sanjo's work but drat he really reuses his own ideas :v:

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Question, is there any significance to Grandpa Ninja using "they" and "them" to refer to Kyuuemon rather than "she" and "her"?
I feel like I missed something. Was Kyuuemon ever identified as female in the TV show? Yes, Kyuuemon has a female voice actress, but she has voiced male characters before.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I haven't watched the most recent couple of episodes, but OT might be using the singular "they" because they're unsure of the gender of the character or if the character (being a demon of sorts) even has a gender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Some Numbers posted:

I haven't watched the most recent couple of episodes, but OT might be using the singular "they" because they're unsure of the gender of the character or if the character (being a demon of sorts) even has a gender.

That's almost certainly what it is. Gendered pronouns basically don't exist in Japan.

• Locked thread