Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Klaus88 posted:

People who let their cats be outside cats. :smith:

God dammit people we live in Florida, there's always the chance of, gators, racoons, random psychopaths.

Ozz81 posted:

Echoing this, and I'm not even in an area with super dangerous animals like that around. A couple years ago I accidentally hit a cat while driving home at night on a dirt road and still feel lovely about it. Keep your pets inside, people - all I could think about is some poor kid that doesn't have a pet any more because someone got careless and it got out (or was let out). :smith:
You guys are idiots. I'm pretty sure most cats would prefer to spend some time outside, even with the miniscule chance of dying, rather than being locked up inside your smelly apartments for the entirety of their existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Panniculus Rift posted:

You guys are idiots. I'm pretty sure most cats would prefer to spend some time outside, even with the miniscule chance of dying, rather than being locked up inside your smelly apartments for the entirety of their existence.

Any pet, whether it's a cat, dog, fish, bird, whatever, is going to "prefer" to be outside. People don't keep them inside as a punishment, they do it for the animal's own protection. Unless you live on a farm with acres of woods surrounding you, the chance of dying is not "miniscule". If you insist on being an ~outdoor cat~ owner, at least make sure it is spayed/neutered, and don't go crying to anyone when it gets run over or eaten by a coyote because the fault for that lies entirely on you.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Panniculus Rift posted:

I'm sure dogs do too, but we don't allow them to run freely and maul small animals. I find it so weird that cats are little murder machines but somehow we think it's acceptable, especially to let them out without leashing or supervising them. Cats will wear harnesses, you can walk them just fine as long as you give them enough time or train them.

I hate that people won't spay their cats if they're outdoors ones because kittens are soooo cute and you can just give them away when they're too old to be cute anymore! Ugh.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Panniculus Rift posted:

My neighborhood has somewhere between five and ten adult feral cats at any given time because of "outdoor cat" owners whose intact queens lured in feral males a few years ago. There are usually two or three litters of kittens running around if they haven't been abandoned by their mothers, meaning that on any given day there may be somewhere closer to twenty untagged, unvaccinated, intact cats roaming. One, that's a bunch of cats that, if caught by animal control, are almost guaranteed to be put down - hooray, mommy's little angel just made twenty cats that are marked for death. Two, those cats pose a health risk to the actual pets in the neighborhood, potentially passing on any number of fatal diseases (including FeLV and FIV). Three, the "outdoor pets" have a high risk of being run over by cars (guess where they love to sleep?), eaten by predators (nothing like hearing a cat being killed by a fox at 3am), or losing their collar and being euthed because so many ~natural outdoor~ pet owners don't chip their cats. But yeah, let's just let our animals roam around because of some pseudo-mystical "natural" ideal. Even just thinking of a pet as property and not as a living thing, that's a loving stupid idea.

Side note: Funny enough, of the eight cats I've owned, only one had any real interest in being outside, and only on his harness. Three of the others would take a couple steps outside, look around, and decide that the nice place with the known source of food, pets, and fuzzy blankets was much better thank you.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Murphy Brownback posted:

Any pet, whether it's a cat, dog, fish, bird, whatever, is going to "prefer" to be outside. People don't keep them inside as a punishment, they do it for the animal's own protection. Unless you live on a farm with acres of woods surrounding you, the chance of dying is not "miniscule". If you insist on being an ~outdoor cat~ owner, at least make sure it is spayed/neutered, and don't go crying to anyone when it gets run over or eaten by a coyote because the fault for that lies entirely on you.

I don't insist on being an outdoor cat owner, my cat insists on going outside sometimes. I 'm not going to deny him that, because he loves chilling in the garden, smelling stuff, hanging with other cats and pooping in our flower beds. In the winter he stays inside most of the time because he doesn't like being cold.

Since you mention birds, I find it hilarious that you don't think people are punishing them by keeping them in tiny cages, maybe allowed to flap around the house once a day. It might not be punishment, since it's not a direct reaction to something the bird has done, but it's still pretty hosed up. Of course, once a tropical bird has been taken from its natural habitat, not letting it outside is a form of protection because otherwise it would die, but how about not buying birds that aren't supposed to live in your climate and trapping them inside cages?

Imo, the cool thing about having a cat is that it's pretty much the only pet you can have living in your house without keeping it prisoner.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

My neighborhood has somewhere between five and ten adult feral cats at any given time because of "outdoor cat" owners whose intact queens lured in feral males a few years ago. There are usually two or three litters of kittens running around if they haven't been abandoned by their mothers, meaning that on any given day there may be somewhere closer to twenty untagged, unvaccinated, intact cats roaming. One, that's a bunch of cats that, if caught by animal control, are almost guaranteed to be put down - hooray, mommy's little angel just made twenty cats that are marked for death. Two, those cats pose a health risk to the actual pets in the neighborhood, potentially passing on any number of fatal diseases (including FeLV and FIV). Three, the "outdoor pets" have a high risk of being run over by cars (guess where they love to sleep?), eaten by predators (nothing like hearing a cat being killed by a fox at 3am), or losing their collar and being euthed because so many ~natural outdoor~ pet owners don't chip their cats. But yeah, let's just let our animals roam around because of some pseudo-mystical "natural" ideal. Even just thinking of a pet as property and not as a living thing, that's a loving stupid idea.

My cat is neutered, does that mean it's ok?

By the way, how am I the one thinking of my pet as property and not a living thing?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I think the problem with men's clothing sizes is more a "by comparison" thing. Women's sizes outside of bras tend to be a number that requires checking a lookup table like you're the world's most fashion-conscious Dungeon Master. Any men's size that is given as a number is usually given as a set of numbers in the prevailing system of measurement. In other words, a pair of jeans in size "40/32" should have the same waist circumference and inseam length as a pair of jeans from another brand. Depending on the brand and the store, I can be lucky to find two on the same shelf that fit the same way. You're right, vanity sizing is poo poo, and the idea of so many different size charts that they make FATAL look like a simple instruction book for well-adjusted tabletop aficionados is ridiculous, but when a size is supposed to be linked intrinsically to a particular measurement and it never is outside of the priciest items, it's not fair to say men "can't complain". It's just a different beast.

I usually only go shopping when I have time to try everything on. The last time I didn't and just trusted the label, I ended up with a pair of khaki slacks that looked cinched up like a trash bag when I put a belt on and the cuffs drug the ground. Why, pants? You said you were my size :smith:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I usually only go shopping when I have time to try everything on. The last time I didn't and just trusted the label, I ended up with a pair of khaki slacks that looked cinched up like a trash bag when I put a belt on and the cuffs drug the ground. Why, pants? You said you were my size :smith:

God help you if you're long-waisted, framed like a nuclear bunker, and have muscular thighs. That 38/32 relaxed fit? Attempting to cleave the top of my pelvis off, clinging to me like skinny jeans, and either ending above my ankle or on the floor depending on the manufacturer. I wear jeans like two months a year - I don't want to have to spend $100+ for a pair that fits me right. My fiancee can at least walk into her clothing store of choice, consult the magic tables, and pick something off the rack where the only question will be if it's going to show too much cleavage.

Speaking of which, what black sorcery goes into women's clothing where something that looks on the hanger like it has a plunging neckline is fairly modest, yet something that looks modest on the rack - or on the mannequin! - suddenly turns into "HILOOKATMYTITS" when put on an actual woman?

EDIT: "Rack" pun not intended.

Kugyou no Tenshi has a new favorite as of 14:00 on May 27, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People adding "The" to the beginning of TV show titles where it shouldn't belong. Oh, so you enjoy Zooey Deschanel sitcom The New Girl? And you can't wait to start binging Netflix's The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt? Just stand still while I kill you.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Panniculus Rift posted:

I don't insist on being an outdoor cat owner, my cat insists on going outside sometimes. I 'm not going to deny him that, because he loves chilling in the garden, smelling stuff, hanging with other cats and pooping in our flower beds. In the winter he stays inside most of the time because he doesn't like being cold.

Since you mention birds, I find it hilarious that you don't think people are punishing them by keeping them in tiny cages, maybe allowed to flap around the house once a day. It might not be punishment, since it's not a direct reaction to something the bird has done, but it's still pretty hosed up. Of course, once a tropical bird has been taken from its natural habitat, not letting it outside is a form of protection because otherwise it would die, but how about not buying birds that aren't supposed to live in your climate and trapping them inside cages?

Imo, the cool thing about having a cat is that it's pretty much the only pet you can have living in your house without keeping it prisoner.

Look at this idiot, thinking that keeping his cat indoors is any less a "prisoner" than keeping a bird or other animal indoors, you're so cute :allears: See how easy it is to be a stupid troll?

I can't wait for your inevitable bitching and moaning when your cat gets out and another animal ends up killing it, it gets lost/stolen, or gets hit by a car, because you ~*won't deny him his freedom*~

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Panniculus Rift posted:

Cats are the greatest cause of anthropogenic bird and mammal mortality, so there's that. Though to be fair, that's mostly unowned cats.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Pet Island must be a miserable place. "You do things differently from me, ergo I'm gonna drink your tears over the inevitable death of your pet!"

gently caress off, everyone. Let's talk about something else.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

walrusman posted:

Pet Island must be a miserable place. "You do things differently from me, ergo I'm gonna drink your tears over the inevitable death of your pet!"

gently caress off, everyone. Let's talk about something else.

I don't think it's too "out there" to say that if your pet dies as a result of being outside, and you let it outside in the first place, the fault lies entirely on you - if you hadn't let it outside, it wouldn't be dead right now. It's hard to have much sympathy over something that could have easily been prevented.

Anyway, I don't think it's off topic - it's certainly a "pet" peeve of many people, not just crazy PI cat ladies.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Ooh, new pet peeve! People who pretend that being a complete loving idiot about something is just "doing things differently" and anyone calling people out on their idiocy are just angry about "alternate methods" or whatever instead of having watched a consistent pattern of horrible results and knowing that the idiot's actions are creating a huge risk factor for those very same disastrous results! Applies to all fields, too, not just pets.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a well to piss in.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

So owning a cat is basically the sci-fi benevolent supercomputer which puts humans in camps to prevent them hurting each other.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
There are some things I won't talk about on these forums, and my pets are one of them. You can post in a derailed obscure-rear end page 7 Soul Calibur 1 thread in Games about how one time two years ago your dog ate a piece of celery, and that pet derail will turn into a loving extinction-level event.

I don't read it--is the whole PI subforum like that? Or is there just a handful of really obnoxious posters who insist relentlessly that their ways of pet care are correct?

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Ozz81 posted:

Look at this idiot, thinking that keeping his cat indoors is any less a "prisoner" than keeping a bird or other animal indoors, you're so cute :allears: See how easy it is to be a stupid troll?

I can't wait for your inevitable bitching and moaning when your cat gets out and another animal ends up killing it, it gets lost/stolen, or gets hit by a car, because you ~*won't deny him his freedom*~

Yeah, I'll be sure to post a whiny rant in this thread when I find my cat mauled to death by bears, seems like the natural place.

I'm completely fine with you people keeping your cats inside if you feel that is the best for your cats. It's still incredibly retarded to make blanket statements claiming that anyone who lets their cats outside is some kind of animal abuser. Maybe things are wildly different in the US, but around here, people do not steal house cats that have absolutely no monetary value. If it was an expensive cat, that might be a concern, but it's not. There are no wild animals here, so there is not a big risk of him getting eaten. He is neutered, so he won't procreate, and he won't get into fights with other cats. Cars are always a risk, but there is little traffic around here and the cars drive at like 25 mph.

I can't deny that the risk will always be smaller if you never let your cat outside. I think the risk of something bad happening to me would be smaller if I never left the house too.

Do you really think I should start denying my cat the joy of pooping outside, eating grass and chilling with his cat friends in the sun? I will be sad if he dies, but at least he's had a pretty cool life.

grate deceiver posted:

Cats are the greatest cause of anthropogenic bird and mammal mortality, so there's that. Though to be fair, that's mostly unowned cats.
I agree that his is a valid argument in some situations, but like you say, feral cats are usually the main problem. I have not heard about any species risking extinction because of cats around where I live anyway.

This derail should probably stop though, so if you have a thread in PI where you tell people how terrible they are for letting their cats outside, you can link me there.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Ooh, new pet peeve! People who pretend that being a complete loving idiot about something is just "doing things differently" and anyone calling people out on their idiocy are just angry about "alternate methods" or whatever instead of having watched a consistent pattern of horrible results and knowing that the idiot's actions are creating a huge risk factor for those very same disastrous results! Applies to all fields, too, not just pets.

lmao "huge risk factor". Look at this horrible place where he spends some of his time:

there are several members of an international cat thief syndicate just outside of the shot.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

There are some things I won't talk about on these forums, and my pets are one of them. You can post in a derailed obscure-rear end page 7 Soul Calibur 1 thread in Games about how one time two years ago your dog ate a piece of celery, and that pet derail will turn into a loving extinction-level event.

I don't read it--is the whole PI subforum like that? Or is there just a handful of really obnoxious posters who insist relentlessly that their ways of pet care are correct?

Most of PI is pretty chill, actually. At least the bits I've seen. As long as you're not a goddamn idiot and try to feed your cat a vegan diet or abuse your animals, people there are really chill. There's always a few shitposters in any forum, though.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

My fiancee can at least walk into her clothing store of choice, consult the magic tables, and pick something off the rack where the only question will be if it's going to show too much cleavage.

Speaking of which, what black sorcery goes into women's clothing where something that looks on the hanger like it has a plunging neckline is fairly modest, yet something that looks modest on the rack - or on the mannequin! - suddenly turns into "HILOOKATMYTITS" when put on an actual woman?

Your fiancee might have a disproportionately short torso. I have the same problem -- I'm 5'4" and wear a 31-32" inseam, but have a petite-proportioned torso (but not arms). Long-sleeved shirts from the petite section don't reach my wrists, so I have to get them in the regular section and therefore they're so low-cut I have to wear something underneath them lest I flash everyone I encounter. Basically, I wear a thin petite camisole under everything, even another tank top (because I like tank tops long enough to cover my butt, which rules out getting them in the petite section).

That reminds me of another pet peeve, unrelated to my freakish body. I'm seeing a lot of stores (even decidedly non-sexy brands like Eddie Bauer) who are making tank tops with burned-out fabric or that are otherwise sheer enough that you have to wear something under it. Okay, I'm an anomaly and am used to doing that but that must be incredibly annoying to everyone else. When it's hot enough to go around in a tank, wearing another layer underneath is not pleasant.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Rabbit Hill posted:

Your fiancee might have a disproportionately short torso. I have the same problem -- I'm 5'4" and wear a 31-32" inseam, but have a petite-proportioned torso (but not arms). Long-sleeved shirts from the petite section don't reach my wrists, so I have to get them in the regular section and therefore they're so low-cut I have to wear something underneath them lest I flash everyone I encounter. Basically, I wear a thin petite camisole under everything, even another tank top (because I like tank tops long enough to cover my butt, which rules out getting them in the petite section).

That reminds me of another pet peeve, unrelated to my freakish body. I'm seeing a lot of stores (even decidedly non-sexy brands like Eddie Bauer) who are making tank tops with burned-out fabric or that are otherwise sheer enough that you have to wear something under it. Okay, I'm an anomaly and am used to doing that but that must be incredibly annoying to everyone else. When it's hot enough to go around in a tank, wearing another layer underneath is not pleasant.

I swear it's a ploy to get you to buy more clothes. And it works :smithicide:

Re: bodychat. I'm 5'11, even some long length pants turn into high waters on me. Though some work, depending on what that brand considers to be long. I normally wear a size 8, which also means different things to different brands. Sometimes a dress fits fine across my waist and hips, but feels like I'm wearing a corset above that, sometimes it's the other way around. It's a massive pain in the rear end, and there's a lot of time and money spent on what amounts to trial and error. And I'm relatively proportionate... I have a friend who is quite busty but otherwise petite, she wears something like a size 4 from the waist down, extra large above that. It's nearly impossible for her to find dresses that don't fit like tents.

I think the problem is that there's just too much variation between women. Men have their problems finding clothes, too, of course, but we simply have more measurements to worry about.

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep

Panniculus Rift posted:

Do you really think I should start denying my cat the joy of pooping outside, eating grass and chilling with his cat friends in the sun? I will be sad if he dies, but at least he's had a pretty cool life.

This is exactly my pet peeve this week: my neighbor's cat that poops all over my backyard and makes noise in the most insane hours right by my window. He also invites other cats there to chill/piss/fight and leaves it covered in cat fur and even sometimes blood.
I can't leave my window open or I'll find the freaking animal inside MY house (once I even thought there was someone in the house at 4 am and I almost hit him with a baseball bat)

Why do I have to deal with this mess if I don't have a cat?

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Sounds like your neighbours cat is an rear end in a top hat, and also not neutered. Maybe talk to your neighbour about it, unless he's an rear end in a top hat too.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Re: petchat - People who get pets (bigger than fish) and just don't do anything at all with them. Why would you get a pet, and then just basically keep it alive & let it stay in your house? I'm not saying everyone should dote on their pets & become crazy cat people or whatever, but I've known people who didn't even bother giving their cats headrubs or playing with them or anything.

Re: clotheschat - My pants size is between 12 and 20 depending on where I go, but my main pet peeve is that clothing manufacturers seem to think that any woman over a size 12 is shaped like Santa Claus. Women's jeans in general seem overly rear end-unfriendly though.

Apropos of nothing, open floor plan offices. My god, the noise.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

great post they go well with the rest of the highlight reel

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

God help you if you're long-waisted, framed like a nuclear bunker, and have muscular thighs. That 38/32 relaxed fit? Attempting to cleave the top of my pelvis off,

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Now spend the next three hours between now and her going to bed telling us about all the stupid poo poo you've been told by people you repeatedly tell us you want to cut out of your life because they're a huge drain on your emotional state.

I love my mom, but she be hella dumb sometimes.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

My mother, God love her (because someone's got to), used to do that to my father all the time - and now, of course, she does it to me.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
This is the most first world problem I've ever had, but every time I call an Uber to my apartment, they stop an entire block away at the hotel down the street. Every. Time. I live in one of those buildings with a big sign that says "SO AND SO APARTMENTS" and it even says that on the freaking Uber address field, but no, clearly, I don't know where I live, and it's somehow my fault that you had to wait while I walked to your weird hotel from my house.

Edit: While I'm on the subject, Uber/Lyft drivers who ask me how much money I make. Dude, what the hell. I actually had someone ask me this the day I got fired. My ex-boss called me an Uber to take me home, and the guy asked me how much money I loving made.

Clotheschat: I'm 5 foot, completely average human proportions, and absolutely nothing fits me right. Nothing. I'm about a size 2 and everything is either way too big, way too tight around the chest but fine everywhere else, and I have never in my life bought a skirt that didn't make me look like an Amish mourner. I am literally the exact measurements for Target's "Size 2" from their chart and nothing has ever fit me there labeled Size 2.

Lieutenant Dan has a new favorite as of 22:56 on May 27, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you let your cat outside, you're retarded, the cat is happy to meow at the window, and if it's miserable maybe you should play with it or get it a friend.

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012
I'm about ready to slap the next cashier who hands me my change with the coins (and/or receipt) on top of my cash. i have to stand there like a turd and wand up my cash to stuff in my pocket to release the coins Then pull the cash back back out to put in the wallet.

Fuggit, it is easier for me to switch to a card instead. I guess then teach an archaic lesson to the kid behind the counter.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

All women's hoodies seem to be too short in the torso so I'm pulling them down every time I move and men's hoodies are long enough in the torso but have too much extra room the shoulders GODDAMMIT I am so misshapen

Here's another fun pet peeve that I've experienced today: job applications that are unnecessarily thorough for what the job is. Today I filled out one that wanted all the addresses I've lived at for the past 10 years. I've moved 7 times in that period and couldn't even remember the whole addresses for some of them so I had to fire up Google. And it was for a basic retail job! Ugh.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
My workplace has glass dividers between the lobby and teller area, and I hate people who seem to want to push their hand literally through the tiny money slot at the bottom so they can hand their cash/ID/whatever to me directly, rather than just putting it in the tray like a normal person.

They'll contort their hand around, wrap it around the bottom of the glass with the ID pinned between two fingers... I can't figure out whether they're just determined to make that precious skin-to-skin contact, glass be damned, or they think I'm some kind of idiot who's incapable of picking something up from the tray. I don't understand.

Similarly, the people who come into the drive-thru lane and stick their hand way out of the window, right up against where the drawer comes out. Move your hand, fool! The drawer comes to you. It wouldn't be so annoying, but I'm always afraid I'm going to accidentally pin someone's arm to their car or something one day. :ohdear:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I know it's hard to post Serious Bird Facts while sporting this username but only one person brought up the impact of outdoors cats on native species which imo is a much more significant reason to keep cats indoors than the possibility of a coyote eating him, and a lot of people don't understand how significant the impact of cats is on local wildlife, so here we go
  • The domestic cat is currently the greatest human-linked threat to wildlife in the USA.
  • With 150 million cats wandering around outside they, a non-native species, have become the most abundant carnivore in the country.
  • Cats kill somewhere between 7 and 20 billion small mammals a year, and between 1.4 and 4 billion birds. At 3 billion birds dead a year, that's 20% of the United States' adult bird population.
  • There are about 800 bird species in America and a third of them are threatened, endangered, or in significant decline.
It's true that the majority of these deaths are from feral cats; each cat kills between 23 and 46 birds a year. Outdoor, unfixed pets, however, contribute to feral propagation, and both fixed and unfixed cats kill birds and small mammals. One pet cat kills up to 34 birds a year. Again, this totals an average of 2.7 billion birds killed annually, many of them threatened or endangered.

(here are some sources.)

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Last summer, a bird flew into my second floor apartment and found my cats waiting for it. Near as I can figure, it got in through the kitchen window, which was open a tiny crack. I don't know why it chose my place to commit suicide in, but the aftermath was a hell of a thing to wake up to.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I hate it when people stare at me at the gym. I'm not doing anything unusual or spectacular (and I don't grunt, scream, or wear inappropriate clothing, so that's not it), just using the weights and machines the way they're intended. But every so often I'll glance in the mirror and some mouth-breather will just be sitting there between sets, staring. I don't think it's on purpose--a movement catches your eye and you happen to be resting, so you just don't bother to look away after the initial glance. They're not leering or being pervy, just staring, usually with their mouths open. I don't mind if people glance over to see what I'm doing--I've gotten ideas on new moves that way--but after you figure it out, go back to your workout and stop staring!

Like I said, I think it's an unintentional innocent mistake--they probably don't realize they're staring--but it's unnerving after a while. Can I just do my workout in peace?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Panniculus Rift posted:

My cat is neutered, does that mean it's ok?
No.

Panniculus Rift posted:

Do you really think I should start denying my cat the joy of pooping outside, eating grass and chilling with his cat friends in the sun?
Yes.

Panniculus Rift posted:

Sounds like your neighbours cat is an rear end in a top hat a cat
FTFY.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I know it's hard to post Serious Bird Facts while sporting this username but only one person brought up the impact of outdoors cats on native species which imo is a much more significant reason to keep cats indoors than the possibility of a coyote eating him, and a lot of people don't understand how significant the impact of cats is on local wildlife, so here we go
I can't believe how many people are saying to keep cats indoors for the sake of the cat. gently caress the cat. If it gets killed, there are a billion other cats. Way too many in fact.

Watsabi posted:

I'm about ready to slap the next cashier who hands me my change with the coins (and/or receipt) on top of my cash. i have to stand there like a turd and wand up my cash to stuff in my pocket to release the coins Then pull the cash back back out to put in the wallet.

Fuggit, it is easier for me to switch to a card instead. I guess then teach an archaic lesson to the kid behind the counter.
One not insignificant reason I'm glad Paypass/Paywave exists now and I almost never need to carry or use cash any more.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

...The domestic cat is currently the greatest human-linked threat to wildlife in the USA....

In a previous post, I agreed that this is one of the few good arguments for keeping your cats inside. I don't live in the USA though, and there are no native species being threatened by cats here.

Turtlicious posted:

If you let your cat outside, you're retarded, the cat is happy to meow at the window, and if it's miserable maybe you should play with it or get it a friend.

i don't live in a very dangerous place like all of you people. playing with my cat for an hour a day isn't gonna make up for all the fun he has outside. You're depraving your cat of a lot of stimuli, interesting smells and sounds, etc. Why do you think he's meowing at the window? He's not happy to do that, he's happy once i let him out.

Like, I agree that if you think you live in a dangerous environment, maybe keep your cat inside. I 'm under the impression that the USA is a very scary place to live, so maybe that's the thing with all of you guys. Around here you would be considered a complete and utter retard if you kept your cat inside "for its own good".

Pannus has a new favorite as of 06:09 on May 28, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Panniculus Rift posted:

In a previous post, I agreed that this is one of the few good arguments for keeping your cats inside.

I know you did. :) I just wanted to expand on it for people who were unaware of the dangers their cat might pose to other species. There was this whole great big discussion about how the cat might get sick or die and only a single person briefly mentioned the wildlife impact.

Back on topic: People who humblebrag about the dinner they just made on Facebook. "What did you guys make tonight? I'm feeling lazy so I just whipped up a little pumpkin risotto with a Parmesan reduction and some slow-cooked short ribs with a kale and walnut salad. Ugh I need to go to the grocery store so badly!" Yes okay I totally believe this is just another meal that you make for yourself every evening.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Back on topic: People who humblebrag about the dinner they just made on Facebook. "What did you guys make tonight? I'm feeling lazy so I just whipped up a little pumpkin risotto with a Parmesan reduction and some slow-cooked short ribs with a kale and walnut salad. Ugh I need to go to the grocery store so badly!" Yes okay I totally believe this is just another meal that you make for yourself every evening.

Heh, you're saying you don't cook like that every day? :smug:

Realtalk: when this happens, respond to the humblebrag in Super Smugmode 7 and say something like "eh that sounds okay for a quick meal, I was feeling lazy too, so I made [hilariously elaborate 5-course dinner requiring several components not readily available in your area and some that are completely made up]."

My peeve this week is an ancient one. I really can't stand it when posters who should know better fall for obvious trolls.

poster who should know better posted:

...so I did X and Y and the result was meh so I tried X and Z and it worked out okay.

troll posted:

you're a loving moron shithead human being

poster who should know better posted:

Why? Why would you say that? You're being rude. All I did was do X and Z instead of X and Y and I don't know why you're being so confrontational about it. Jesus loving Christ all I was trying to do was explain what I did and you've got to jump all over me. Why are you being like this?

They're trolls, people. It's a gimmick. They're trying to get a rise out of you. Just ignore them and move on :eng99:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I know you did. :) I just wanted to expand on it for people who were unaware of the dangers their cat might pose to other species. There was this whole great big discussion about how the cat might get sick or die and only a single person briefly mentioned the wildlife impact.

It seems like most of the people who do this can't actually cook and are struggling to get a photography "career" off the ground after everything else has failed for them. So you get a bunch of blurry, filtered pictures of fancily plated unappetizing pile of mush with a few sprigs of parsely on top of it. It combines two of my biggest annoyances: try-hard "foodies" and ~food photography~. You're at home, stop wasting time posing and taking pictures of your food, it's getting cold.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This might better belong in the college complaints thread, but I'm really starting to hate people who eat food with noisy packaging/wrappers during a class. I have ADD and tend to sit in the front row of classes so it's a super obnoxious-sounding distraction right behind me that completely throws me off for a minute every single time it happens. If I could just tune it out I could, but I kind of can't and it's an inconsistent sound so it predictably throws off my focus every time it happens. It's just rude the great majority of people who do it have plenty of time before or after their classes to eat anyway so there's no way it's necessary.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

My peeve this week is an ancient one. I really can't stand it when posters who should know better fall for obvious trolls.

This is a really painful thing to see because you know it's only encouraging the trolls to continue, and it ends up ruining a lot of threads because people just cannot shut the gently caress up when an incredibly obvious troll tries to get a reaction out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gestalt Intellect posted:

This might better belong in the college complaints thread, but I'm really starting to hate people who eat food with noisy packaging/wrappers during a class. I have ADD and tend to sit in the front row of classes so it's a super obnoxious-sounding distraction right behind me that completely throws me off for a minute every single time it happens. If I could just tune it out I could, but I kind of can't and it's an inconsistent sound so it predictably throws off my focus every time it happens. It's just rude the great majority of people who do it have plenty of time before or after their classes to eat anyway so there's no way it's necessary.

They always try and be sneaky about it and move extremely slowly, thinking that a noise stretched over 30 seconds is less obnoxious than a slightly louder noise that lasts 3 seconds. If you're going to make noise, just get it over with, like ripping off a bandaid. Going slower still makes noise.