Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Alder posted:

Hmm---I feel somewhat conflicted since the majority of my apps were tied to low exp, office, help desk, or entry-level jobs. Obviously, I've refrained from applying to some jobs which I know I won't qualify for yet. Ugh, it's demoralizing to have relatives who keep asking me why I'm unemployed :v:

I'm trying my best and I feel like I've hit every major retail/chain store on my list for NY.

The intent was not to demoralize. By all means, apply for what you're qualified for and don't be scared to stretch it a bit if you have relevant experience.

As a general rule, when you are applying to "low exp, office, help desk, or entry-level jobs" you really better have a leg up on the 100 other people that spam applications to all these. This is where things like your polished resume, your networking groups/connections/relatives/friends, LinkedIn, a good recruiter, etc, can all make a huge difference. Don't give up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dark Helmut posted:

This is where things like your polished resume, your networking groups/connections/relatives/friends, LinkedIn, a good recruiter, etc, can all make a huge difference. Don't give up!

Yes that's something that worries me overall as it feels hopeless just filling out apps and waiting for a reply.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Hey horse, here is some nice water for you to drink.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
You can't make me.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
What I did when first trying to even get in touch with recruiters was kind of reverse cold call them on LinkedIn by asking if they'd mind taking a look at my resume.

Got a lot of really positive responses this way and it seemed that most of them could appreciate a person just trying to get a foot in the door and at least offered some good advice or referred me to places that were hiring for T1 roles.

Some of the recruiters I met this way still keep in touch infrequently which is really cool I think. It's nice to have contacts to hit up when you're ready to look for something new or just need some direction.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

crunk dork posted:

Some of the recruiters I met this way still keep in touch infrequently which is really cool I think. It's nice to have contacts to hit up when you're ready to look for something new or just need some direction.

Someone told me that it was a good idea to boost LinkedIn networking skills if I added a bunch of former classmates for vouches but I never really spoke to them before when we were in HS/college. Would it be weird if I added them anyways?

Lack of irl contacts makes my profile look like a ghost town atm. Baruch college has a fairly robust STARR search but all those: You're not qualified for this positions is :ghost:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Spam connect with recruiters, people that went to the same school, group members, literally anyone if you are worried about your profile looking desolate. The LinkedIn thread on BFC has some pretty good info

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

SaltLick posted:

Spam connect with recruiters, people that went to the same school, group members, literally anyone if you are worried about your profile looking desolate. The LinkedIn thread on BFC has some pretty good info

So many people make the mistake of equating LI to Facebook. It's just not. There is pretty much zero downside to connecting with people and it's understood that you may not be "friends" IRL.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Dark Helmut posted:

So many people make the mistake of equating LI to Facebook. It's just not. There is pretty much zero downside to connecting with people and it's understood that you may not be "friends" IRL.

Eh,

I don't care to be connected with Dan the Sales Associate at Gamestop and it just looks unprofessional when you know everyone no?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Negative, connect with everyone. I think that was a good way of putting it - Linkedin isn't Facebook. Connections everywhere.

Had an email chain going, and one of the guys stripped everyone but me to highlight the last reply, and said "What a loving idiot" - what the what? We've had like 3 conversations, do you think that because there is a chance that this other person may be wrong, that you should email me that? We're coworkers, not friends, the hell are you thinking?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

Eh, I don't care to be connected with Dan the Sales Associate at Gamestop and it just looks unprofessional when you know everyone no?

Agreed. I did follow the LinkedIn thread but at the same time I feel like none of the groups I joined really helped me find jobs other than post linkbait-y articles now and then to my email.

In a related note I went to the career center and they're closed until June b-but I need a job now :ghost:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Rep. No idea how long this guy will survive but lets find out.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 6, 2016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Here's a questions,

The :airquote:industry:airquote: is rapidly changing and Network, Virtualization, Storage positions becoming merged into System Administration but DBAs are still left alone. How come? What's so unique?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
They've managed to convince people that their job is something that a sys admin can't do with Books Online and a weekend of study.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tab8715 posted:

Here's a questions,

The :airquote:industry:airquote: is rapidly changing and Network, Virtualization, Storage positions becoming merged into System Administration but DBAs are still left alone. How come? What's so unique?
In most organizations big enough to need them, I'm seeing DBAs rapidly being merged together with business analyst positions, since most of the need to interact with SQL in that capacity comes from data warehousing, ERP, and line-of-business reporting perspectives. Most large data stores aren't being handled by relational databases anymore -- those are going through Hadoop, Spark, or Kafka, or if they're application data that needs to scale, they're being dumped into non-relational databases.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

They've managed to convince people that their job is something that a sys admin can't do with Books Online and a weekend of study.
And kind of this, too. DBAs are often another kind of legacy app team like the mainframe or HP-UX teams, since no sane sysadmin wants to gently caress around with Sybase or Ingres or whatever piece of poo poo is driving some horrible app from the late nineties.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Here's a questions,

People have had to broaden their skillsets, sure, but I haven't seen any sysadmins setting up 6800s with IA and MEC for campus connectivity, doing wireless surveys, and configuring 9Ks and VNX to support the DC. That stuff is still very much handled by network personnel.

What sysadmins HAVE taken over is managing the entirety of the VM cluster, including the vSwitches, but all that really did was remove the need of sysadmins to submit a ticket to the network staff or log into a physical switch themselves to change switchport settings every time a change was made to the server infrastructure. In larger organizations, I've seen dedicated storage personnel, but smaller deployments don't usually demand such a level of attention so as to require a dedicated person. In those cases, it's much more efficient to let the sysadmins handle it, since it's directly tied into the systems they oversee.

e: To answer your question, a lot of DBA positions are basically becoming devops or systems engineering positions at this point. I think the skills needed are still different enough to warrant paying them to drive their 911 Carrera S into work every day to sit around until the developers inevitably break something in the database.

psydude fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 28, 2015

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Tab8715 posted:

Eh,

I don't care to be connected with Dan the Sales Associate at Gamestop and it just looks unprofessional when you know everyone no?

No one is saying spam everyone you hear of or read about. Even in a medium-sized market, I only have about 1800 connections in a metro area of a million and it's actually my job to know people. It doesn't look unprofessional to have a few hundred connections, it shows you are getting yourself out there and you aren't a hermit. And when you're looking for a job and you post on LI, that many more people are going to see it. It's a tool to have in your toolbox, along with a good resume, Dice, Indeed, good references, etc. There's a ton of other advantages too, but I haven't ingested my coffee yet. I would check out the LinkedIn thread because they will be better than me about conveying them.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

Here's a questions,

Whether or not specialized staff is needed for a given task is always dependent on a bunch of factors, scope, criticality, et al. When it's a 30 person company they probably have 1 sys admin who's doing everything from desktop to databases. I think databases get specialized staff the quickest (outside of maybe desktop support) partially just because helping analysts and finance folks with SQL queries, in addition to improving execution plans, maintaining the database structures for performance and all that quickly becomes a fulltime job and most sysadmins would prefer it not be their full time job.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Vulture Culture posted:

In most organizations big enough to need them, I'm seeing DBAs rapidly being merged together with business analyst positions, since most of the need to interact with SQL in that capacity comes from data warehousing, ERP, and line-of-business reporting perspectives. Most large data stores aren't being handled by relational databases anymore -- those are going through Hadoop, Spark, or Kafka, or if they're application data that needs to scale, they're being dumped into non-relational databases.

And kind of this, too. DBAs are often another kind of legacy app team like the mainframe or HP-UX teams, since no sane sysadmin wants to gently caress around with Sybase or Ingres or whatever piece of poo poo is driving some horrible app from the late nineties.

Our profit sharing app runs in DOS VM on VMware Player running on a Pentium 4 Lenovo XP desktop and uses a FoxPro Database. So there is that. Oh, and it is running a Novell client an only works if like 2 people log in to it after boot.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 28, 2015

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Methanar posted:

Verbally approved today :unsmith:. I'd like to believe my speaking legitimately helped with deciding what to buy and pitching the plan.

These numbers still scare me though

You are buying a chassis with one blade? How does the storage work, vSAN or Local or does Dell have some kind of iscsi/nfs target wrangled in there?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I now have my HR interview scheduled for Monday. I think as with last time, if I don't bomb it then the job is mine. I don't know if an offer happens then or later or what, but that's the 1st, I'm going on vacation on the 7th for a week and soon after that (end of Juneish) I'm expected to open a new store at my current job. So I think that's going to make my current job upset, but there's always a project right around the corner and losing someone is basically never at a "good" time. I also didn't tell them to open 5 stores on the same day when the traveling team is me and one other guy, and the entire IT department is like 20 people counting managers.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

sanchez posted:

You are buying a chassis with one blade? How does the storage work, vSAN or Local or does Dell have some kind of iscsi/nfs target wrangled in there?

The VRTX chassis supports local storage that can be shared between blades, including sharing a single volume to multiple blades for use by Vmfs as shared storage.

It's sort of a ghetto VSAN, though with one blade you obviously don't get the benefit of that.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

sanchez posted:

It comes with a big built in bay of hard drives that you can put in raid.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I'm meeting with a recruiter next week. How much should I disclose about my salary? Should I just give a target?

My problem is that I get paid way more than the hell desk average in my city, because we are all part time system admins it seems.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
VRTX is pretty cool, I kind of wish I worked in an environment where I could put them to use.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I don't want to be assed with poo poo a DBA needs to do, tbh. Doesn't mean I don't administer databases, though.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Has anyone heard of Pivot and ITOaaS? My coworker is trying to pitch it to upper management.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

I'm meeting with a recruiter next week. How much should I disclose about my salary? Should I just give a target?

My problem is that I get paid way more than the hell desk average in my city, because we are all part time system admins it seems.

I'm in the same boat and I usually just say I don't give out that information. I do tell them what it'll take for me to move from my position and that's all they really want anyway.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have the weirdest loving T1 helpdesk job. The first day I wad here I posted about how we didn't have remote access. Now we have remote access, AD admin privileges, and limited Meraki access.

We do first-line troubleshooting, but we also make sure T2 isn't dropping the ball on their tickets. I'm in meetings with the director of IT every two weeks influencing policy and procedures, and pretty soon I'm going to be taking over temporarily as lead while my boss is on medical leave. With 4-5 months of experience.

I'll probably be able to leverage the gently caress out of this when I go full time at the end of this contract, though.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Sounds like a good opportunity provided you don't break anything too horribly.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

the spyder posted:

Has anyone heard of Pivot and ITOaaS? My coworker is trying to pitch it to upper management.

ITOaaS just seems like a new, buzzwordier way to describe an MSP?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Synergized Holistic Information Technology

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 28, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ElGroucho posted:

If it's a headhunter, give your salary history and your target. They'll have a good idea of how to get you from where you are to where you want to be. Headhunters are usually paid a percentage of your base salary as a commission, so it's in their interest to place you at the absolute highest salary they can expect to get you. They'll let you know if what you want is unrealistic, and if it is realistic, they can give you some coaching on how to cross that gap in the interview.

If it's an internal recruiter, it depends on your leverage. If you pull in a lot of recruiter attention, you can try to throw out a high number and see who bites on it. If you're a little more limited in your opportunities, it makes sense to let them put out a number at the high end of their budget.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sheep posted:

Sounds like a good opportunity provided you don't break anything too horribly.

Yeah. It's nothing too intimidating, but I'll need to get in the habit of being more proactive instead of sitting reading SA and PowerShell in a month of lunches until tickets come in.

If I can also get this JavaScript auto-refresh script working reliably, that would just be icing.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Vulture Culture posted:

If it's a headhunter, give your salary history and your target. They'll have a good idea of how to get you from where you are to where you want to be. Headhunters are usually paid a percentage of your base salary as a commission, so it's in their interest to place you at the absolute highest salary they can expect to get you. They'll let you know if what you want is unrealistic, and if it is realistic, they can give you some coaching on how to cross that gap in the interview.

I discuss salary openly and candidly with all my candidates. Meeting with a recruiter is (or should be) the start of a partnership that should hopefully go beyond your current search. It's a trust relationship, and if you're going to start that off by holding out your salary info or being vague/elusive, I'm going to be inclined not to work with you. At the end of the day, I'm presenting you for positions with my clients and I need the match to make sense for both parties. I WANT you to get a raise. It makes everyone happy...

I've definitely been put in a bad spot by someone giving me an inflated salary and both the candidate and I lost out. Front end dev said he was making $80K and we put him in at the max salary of $90K for a new position. Target company called to verify his salary and learned he had been making $66K, so not only did they reject him but they dinged me for trying to inflate his requirements to increase my fee. If he had been straight with me and not greedy we would have come up with a strategy to get him there or close to it. Bottom line, as a candidate, if you don't feel you can trust your recruiter with your salary history it's probably time to find a new recruiter or two.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

That's a pretty good argument as to why giving any information at all was a bad idea.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Dark Helmut posted:

Target company called to verify his salary and learned he had been making $66K

wait a minute, who did they call to find this out?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Giving your salary out is a great way to be lowballed and there is no benefit unless you are so in demand that you get to name your price anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

go3 posted:

wait a minute, who did they call to find this out?

One girl HR shop at his previous employer. I am not a lawyer, but I don't think it's illegal here in VA to verify things like that. I don't think the company was obligated to tell, but they did.

The point I'm trying to make is to work with your recruiter and tell them where you want to go (salary or otherwise) and leverage our knowledge of the clients/market to get you there. If I can't get you there, I'm drat sure going to tell you why and we're going to figure out a game plan. It makes zero sense for me to ever lowball a candidate. Your approach with internal recruiters should probably be different, however.