Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, that's the funny thing. Everything else in the car is in spiffy shape and easy to deal with. The job was primarily a clutch replacement, which is surprisingly inexpensive, and the flywheel had a little scoring but no dishing, so no need for any four-figure sad times there.

"Engine out" sounds like :byodood:, but really it's not that bad. The whole subframe just drops out. And look at those plates that hold it to the chassis, nice flat things in a wide-open bay with plenty of room to work:

It was a more beautiful time.

I maintain the golden era for cars in general was that magical period around the turn of the 90's where vehicles had comparatively modern, powerful efi engines and robot-built chassis, nice and functional interiors and very little crash standards bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

cursedshitbox posted:

Won't come off? gently caress YOU OFF.

oh. :suicide:

I feel your pain. I used to have a Buddy 150. I bought an impact wrench and never looked back. I think you hosed your crank though.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Slavvy posted:

I maintain the golden era for cars in general was that magical period around the turn of the 90's where vehicles had comparatively modern, powerful efi engines and robot-built chassis, nice and functional interiors and very little crash standards bullshit.

You made me miss my E34 :(

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8nnhUCtcO8

“The Volvo XC60 comes with City Safety as a standard feature however this does not include the Pedestrian detection functionality.”

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

8ender posted:

You made me miss my E34 :(

Best bloody BMW there ever was. Not fastest, not prettiest, not nicest to drive, not most famous, but the best. As close to a toyota-style reliable tank as BMW are capable of building while still being BMW. Right at the crossover era between the old sohc engines, designed in the 70's, and the 90's all-alloy DOHC chain drive DTC sophisticated stuff. Benefits from rust-protection like a 90's car, modern-ish tyre sizes/wheels, relatively easy and not-esoteric to work on (except for the v8). The engines all go forever if you stay on top of maintenance (Race: BMW. Penalties: -1 cooling system), have meat-and-potatios efi, no networked module pizzazzery in the electrical system. And parts swap over across models in a disturbingly honda-like way. Rugged (Feats: Superior German Adhesives:-1 Interior) interiors with excellent finish, ages well, dashboard area looks classy, great gauges.

Drives like a BMW. Underneath it's basically a muscled-up e24/48 so suspension/steering stuff is simple and easy to work on. Behind the wheel you have ABS, ESC, LSD on some cars, manuals are fairly common (and easy to convert!), still got classic glassbox visibility in a car that has aged extremely well aesthetically. Fast enough to get out of it's own way, rewarding like a sports car but satisfying like a muscle car. Great steering feel, chassis, brakes, errythang.

I really like e34's.

Every old man has their specific irrational Old Man Car (my father's is the volvo 240!) and this one will be mine when I am Old.

Mechanical failure: how to identify if you have a dreaded Nikasil block that only americans ever got to worry about (maybe canadians?). Also North American versions have less power but I don't live there :sun:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Re: poorly designed intakes resulting in hydrolocked/windowed engines - back in the early days of the MkI Focus AEM released a long tube CAI that located a cone filter just ahead of the driver side front wheel well. So many damaged/ destroyed engines from sucking water out of a relatively shallow puddle. They eventually started selling an optional bypass valve kit that would open up if the filter was submerged, and even after that idiot kids who skimped on the $30 were still blowing up their engines.

All for "3-4 HP at the wheels."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Y'all are the reason we have to run ads in Vegas telling idiots not to drive through floodwaters.

That could've gone worse. Don't drive through floods; you can die.

Cue two page derail of how badass of a driver you are and how you can totally out drive a flood; hell, you out drive one every spring in [region] because you have better drivers there.
You can't tell me what to do. :colbert:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

The two guys not moving as the car comes barreling towards them is a perfect literal example of our (misplaced) trust in technology. This is like watching our own extinction boiled down to a 10 second youtube video.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

F355 chat - I worked with a guy that had one and the previous owner had replaced all the shockingly bad stuff like the manifolds and valve guides with aftermarket parts and he used to use it as a daily driver, around 50 miles a day 2 days a week. However he was a consultant and thus on some eye watering daily rate so could afford the other service work.

If you want to talk about beauty, drama and noise on the way to bankruptcy then pick any Maserati. I still want a Quttroporte tho.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

There is only one Maserati, the bi-curious-turbo

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Slavvy posted:

Best bloody BMW there ever was. Not fastest, not prettiest, not nicest to drive, not most famous, but the best. As close to a toyota-style reliable tank as BMW are capable of building while still being BMW. Right at the crossover era between the old sohc engines, designed in the 70's, and the 90's all-alloy DOHC chain drive DTC sophisticated stuff. Benefits from rust-protection like a 90's car, modern-ish tyre sizes/wheels, relatively easy and not-esoteric to work on (except for the v8). The engines all go forever if you stay on top of maintenance (Race: BMW. Penalties: -1 cooling system), have meat-and-potatios efi, no networked module pizzazzery in the electrical system. And parts swap over across models in a disturbingly honda-like way. Rugged (Feats: Superior German Adhesives:-1 Interior) interiors with excellent finish, ages well, dashboard area looks classy, great gauges.

Drives like a BMW. Underneath it's basically a muscled-up e24/48 so suspension/steering stuff is simple and easy to work on. Behind the wheel you have ABS, ESC, LSD on some cars, manuals are fairly common (and easy to convert!), still got classic glassbox visibility in a car that has aged extremely well aesthetically. Fast enough to get out of it's own way, rewarding like a sports car but satisfying like a muscle car. Great steering feel, chassis, brakes, errythang.

I really like e34's.

Mine was a black on black 525i with a 5 speed, LSD, and vader sport seats. It had terminal rust when I bought it but soldiered on for 5 more glorious years until the rust creeped into the frame and just about everything went wrong on it at once. I hope you're doing donuts in heaven you beautiful car :smith:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

FogHelmut posted:

Honda can't make a transmission, Toyotas are impossible to work on and full of internet car forum social stigma, Mazdas rust, and I don't know, has Nissan done anything since 2003?

Torque steer

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

As I understand it, the Pedestrian Detection feature requires an additional $3000 radar array that's not included in the City Safety package. The news story makes it sound like Volvo could flip a switch at the plant and magically save a ton of lives.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Geoj posted:

Re: poorly designed intakes resulting in hydrolocked/windowed engines - back in the early days of the MkI Focus AEM released a long tube CAI that located a cone filter just ahead of the driver side front wheel well. So many damaged/ destroyed engines from sucking water out of a relatively shallow puddle. They eventually started selling an optional bypass valve kit that would open up if the filter was submerged, and even after that idiot kids who skimped on the $30 were still blowing up their engines.

All for "3-4 HP at the wheels."

It wasn't just for the Focus; I blew up an engine in my Civic with an AEM cold air intake.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CAIs are a source of great hilarity in Canada because almost everyone I know who had them put them on in the summer then can't figure out why their car runs like poo poo come winter.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The best are the morons who rip out their factory cold-air-intakes and replace them with warm-air intakes. Good job guys.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
My experience from installing parts and then watching the cars get tuned on a dyno for about 3 years is that they do actually make a difference, on turbo cars anyway. Take an sti, put on a downpipe, and tune it. Then put on an intake. It'll make another 15-20whp.

I do remember a guy who brought his 07 sti limited in after a rainstorm on a tow truck. Front lip, undertray, both fender liners ripped off from hitting a big puddle at high speed, with the engine hydrolocked (yes it had a cold air intake).

We drained the oil, pulled the spark plugs, cranked it over a few times, put it back together, and it started up and drove and passed a leakdown/compression test. Didn't ever come back, I figured it would have munched a rod or bearing fairly soon afterward.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 27, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

jamal posted:

My experience from standing next to a dyno every day for about 3 years is that they do actually make a difference, on turbo cars anyway. Take an sti, put on a downpipe, and tune it. Then put on an intake. It'll make another 15-20whp.

BRB, fitting a water cold air intake to my turbo diesel.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Mooseykins posted:

That reminds me of a guy I know a guy who was a race mechanic and then became a trucker for some reason. His FB for awhile was all how he was tuning the engine and making more power and getting better economy. Then I saw a post about how terrible this handheld tuner box thing was and that they were scam artists and his engine blew up. I really wanted to ask him what he thought was going to happen, but ended up just unfollowing due to the other stupid poo poo he'd post.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

jamal posted:

That reminds me of a guy I know a guy who was a race mechanic and then became a trucker for some reason. His FB for awhile was all how he was tuning the engine and making more power and getting better economy. Then I saw a post about how terrible this handheld tuner box thing was and that they were scam artists and his engine blew up. I really wanted to ask him what he thought was going to happen, but ended up just unfollowing due to the other stupid poo poo he'd post.

I bet the improvements in fuel economy really helped offset the cost of replacing a blown engine.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

jamal posted:

We don't get many of those plug-in things like you guys get from all the big tuners (Bully Dog, Banks, etc.) but we get the eBay Specials! Usually poo poo like a box with resistors in it to trick the ECU into thinking boost pressure is lower than it is, return fuel temp, etc.

I know more than a few people who think that a £30 box off eBay is better than a £350 custom map and then can't understand why their turbos are exploding, intercoolers leak boost or their rods have decided to leave home in search of a better life.

Truckers are about on par with engineering students in their total lack of mechanical sympathy, but you'd think a former mech might be a little more cautious!

I have a few friends in the US who are diesel mechs, and have seen a few pics of trucks on their work dynos pushing like 750hp at the wheels! (I bet that's like 950+ at the crank, pulling 80,000lb that much loving shift.)

1500quidporsche posted:

I bet the improvements in fuel economy really helped offset the cost of replacing a blown engine.

And we think that rebuilding a car engine is expensive.. A rebuild with a reusable block/head/crank/rods/pistons seems to frequently be in the 10-15k range. Can't imagine what it must cost if you window a block.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

some texas redneck posted:

It wasn't just for the Focus; I blew up an engine in my Civic with an AEM cold air intake.

Did their Civic intake locate the filter less than a foot above the road? That's what I recall having been especially egregious about the Focus intake - what would have otherwise been a passable body of water or puddle would hydrolock or blow a hole in the block.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Mooseykins posted:

We don't get many of those plug-in things like you guys get from all the big tuners (Bully Dog, Banks, etc.) but we get the eBay Specials! Usually poo poo like a box with resistors in it to trick the ECU into thinking boost pressure is lower than it is, return fuel temp, etc.

I know more than a few people who think that a £30 box off eBay is better than a £350 custom map and then can't understand why their turbos are exploding, intercoolers leak boost or their rods have decided to leave home in search of a better life.

There is a rather infamous mod for KE-Jetronic on the 16v Scirocco where you basically disconnect the coolant switch and plug in some mickey mouse device that forces the engine to run in cold mode because then it runs "rich". Don't worry about the fact that its running open loop the whole time that doesn't matter, or the fact that it could actually be running lean because a 30 year old mechanical fuel injection system is going to be perfect and not lose any fuel pressure after so much time.

Its almost as dumb as rigging up the cold start injector way off to the right hand side of the manifold to continuously run as a way to get more fuel in.

gently caress you VW Vortex.

Edit: I should say normally I'm indifferent to this kind of garbage, but there is a book on Bosch Jetronic that is very reasonably priced that goes to great lengths to explain the theory and operation of the system. It takes maybe 20 minutes of reading to see why these are bad ideas.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 27, 2015

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

1500quidporsche posted:

Edit: I should say normally I'm indifferent to this kind of garbage, but there is a book on Bosch Jetronic that is very reasonably priced that goes to great lengths to explain the theory and operation of the system. It takes maybe 20 minutes of reading to see why these are bad ideas.

This is, of course, why people will still do it. It's like using an operating-rod piston on an AR-15 - Half an hour of studying the design of the machine the way it was intended to function is enough to clue you in to why applying off-axis force to the system is a bad and dumb idea, but that's half an hour more than people who want to implement a REVOLUTIONARY NEW WAY OF MAKING MONEY are willing to put into it.

After all, it's not the person selling the retarded "fix" paying for the replacement parts after the explosion.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

revmoo posted:

The best are the morons who rip out their factory cold-air-intakes and replace them with warm-air intakes. Good job guys.

See: every non-snorkel Wrangler intake

Edit: Also, those Focus bumpers had a panel at the bottom that *should* have deflected water during normal driving. But for some reason people ripped them out, and it certainly wasn't sealed so dipping the nose into water was a recipe for disaster.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 28, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Geoj posted:

Did their Civic intake locate the filter less than a foot above the road? That's what I recall having been especially egregious about the Focus intake - what would have otherwise been a passable body of water or puddle would hydrolock or blow a hole in the block.

It was less than 2 feet for sure. If I remember right it was fairly close to the bottom lip of the bumper, which at stock ride height, would probably be just a little over a foot. This was about 13-14 years ago though, and that was the heydey of my drug use. So my memory around that time isn't the best.

What really hosed me though is the fender liner had gotten ripped out after smacking a curb... leaving the air filter completely exposed to all of the water being slung off of the tire. The road wasn't particularly BAD (probably 4 inches deep), but I'm pretty sure all of that water flying directly from the tire to the air filter didn't help.

The best part? I was on a delivery, and since it was slow, a couple of other coworkers had piled into the car with me. When I called my boss and told her what happened, she sent another driver to pick me up. Other driver shows up and finds 4 of us standing by the car, and did a literal WTF.

That was the day I found out that a D16Y8 tossing a rod sounds a lot like a light bulb shattering. Also the day I found out it's a bad idea to rest your hand on the shifter (it ripped itself out of my hand and went into neutral).

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Mooseykins posted:

well... thats easily done without any real problems if you dont mind taking a holesaw to your wheel arch...

Doesnt make you immune to horrible acts of mechanical stupidity though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBODxhsPgPg

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

1500quidporsche posted:

There is a rather infamous mod for KE-Jetronic on the 16v Scirocco where you basically disconnect the coolant switch and plug in some mickey mouse device that forces the engine to run in cold mode because then it runs "rich". Don't worry about the fact that its running open loop the whole time that doesn't matter, or the fact that it could actually be running lean because a 30 year old mechanical fuel injection system is going to be perfect and not lose any fuel pressure after so much time.

Its almost as dumb as rigging up the cold start injector way off to the right hand side of the manifold to continuously run as a way to get more fuel in. .

My old Saab Turbo with K-jet has a switch on the throttle linkage that gets closed on WOT. I always thought that turned the cold start injector on for extra fuel?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Tomarse posted:

My old Saab Turbo with K-jet has a switch on the throttle linkage that gets closed on WOT. I always thought that turned the cold start injector on for extra fuel?

Is it late K-Jet with Lambda? If it doesn't have a throttle position sensor that might just be a switch to tell the ECU that it's full throttle and gently caress yo lambda reading! Where it switches to open loop and dumps fuel.

If it doesn't have a lambda sensor that's the switch that engages party mode.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Ferremit posted:

well... thats easily done without any real problems if you dont mind taking a holesaw to your wheel arch...

Doesnt make you immune to horrible acts of mechanical stupidity though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBODxhsPgPg

:getin:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Wasabi the J posted:

Y'all are the reason we have to run ads in Vegas telling idiots not to drive through floodwaters.

That could've gone worse. Don't drive through floods; you can die.

Cue two page derail of how badass of a driver you are and how you can totally out drive a flood; hell, you out drive one every spring in [region] because you have better drivers there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHs881VsAm4

Kind of hard to see, but I got to see this during the everlong flooding we are having here in Texas.

I live right by a golf course built in a spillway. We had gotten about 2 inches of rain a few hours ago, and the water is gushing through. I was taking a ride, and not really thinking about it and saw the barricades to stop people from going through teh wash. I rode up a bit pas the barricades (BUT NOT IN THE WATER) to take some pictures.

I got to see this idiot in a jeep get stuck. IT's hard to see, but there's about seven inches of water on this road.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tomarse posted:

While possible I don't think its likely. Bosch's intention was for the cold start injector to only fire on start up, on most cars its wiring is tied directly to the starter. The problem with using the cold start injector for extra fuel is that unless its placed at the throttle body its not going to distribute fuel evenly to all cylinders, and even then the fuel won't atomize as well as it would with the normal injectors.

I don't remember what the WOT switch did with plain old K Jet but on anything with an oxy sensor it caused the fuel system to run open loop. The problem you'll have with that today is that the fuel system likely doesn't have the same pressure it did 30 years ago and you may actually cause the engine to run leaner by going WOT.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

1500quidporsche posted:

Its almost as dumb as rigging up the cold start injector way off to the right hand side of the manifold to continuously run as a way to get more fuel in.

gently caress you VW Vortex.

I had a damaged water temp sensor lead on an LT1 Camaro at one point that did exactly this. I was totally ahead of my time. :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

nitrogen posted:

Kind of hard to see, but I got to see this during the everlong flooding we are having here in Texas.

I live right by a golf course built in a spillway. We had gotten about 2 inches of rain a few hours ago, and the water is gushing through. I was taking a ride, and not really thinking about it and saw the barricades to stop people from going through teh wash. I rode up a bit pas the barricades (BUT NOT IN THE WATER) to take some pictures.

I got to see this idiot in a jeep get stuck. IT's hard to see, but there's about seven inches of water on this road.

The gently caress did he get a Jeep stuck in 7" of water? :mediocre:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Friend who works at a dealer just posted this:

"Authorized do ecm sensor and engine harness. Product support interested in it cause first occurrence in 15 tdi, only 11k miles."

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Holy loving poo poo :laffo:

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I'm not sure what I am looking at but I am going to guess its coolant ingress. Smart guys, those volks.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Slow is Fast posted:

Friend who works at a dealer just posted this:

"Authorized do ecm sensor and engine harness. Product support interested in it cause first occurrence in 15 tdi, only 11k miles."

I'm guessing that's water?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Coolant leaking into the wiring harness. An issue that was allegedly fixed years ago, and totally isn't a problem on the new ones, guys! (:lol: VAG)

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/coolant-migration-on-vw-from-defective-coolant-reservoir/

This was supposedly not an issue anymore after 2004. They introduced a new part at that point to fix the issue, but gave it the same drat part number for Reasons, I'm assuming so they could claim it wasn't an issue they had to fix, clearly, because they kept using the same part!

People have found corrosion and coolant ingress as far away as the fuel sender and tail lights. In one case someone found a tail light housing full of coolant :wtf:

German engineering: electrons in the water pumps, water in the electron pumps, coolant in the harnesses, and cars that actually have blinker fluid. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

kastein posted:

People have found corrosion and coolant ingress as far away as the fuel sender and tail lights. In one case someone found a tail light housing full of coolant :wtf:

You just can't appreciate VW's innovative wiring harness cooling system. :colbert: