Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Reddit was all bitchy about Facebook checking for location data periodically in the background. They want to be able to disable that part but still get location sharing, photo tagging with location, etc.

Excessive background tasks and services is the kind of thing that you wish'd they would crack down on, but then they'd have to actually police the play store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Thank god my watch has a barometer in it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
LOL I'm watching this on my Tab S and "OK Google!" triggered Google Now.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Thank god my watch has a barometer in it.

I had a hurricane sneak up on me once. Never again.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

LOL I'm watching this on my Tab S and "OK Google!" triggered Google Now.

When I had a Moto360, N5, and an N9 when I said "OK Google" they'd all light up.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I hope there's a tinder watch app. So I can swipe honeys while out with my girlfriend and her not get suspicious.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
good i can track my car down with my tiny tech watch instead of pulling out my phone that has a larger screen

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Android M feature list:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Those Android Wear pictures are freaking me the gently caress out...

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

vyst posted:

I hope there's a tinder watch app. So I can swipe honeys while out with my girlfriend and her not get suspicious.

There already is. Not kidding.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yesss The Android of Things

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

baka kaba posted:

Yesss The Android of Things

Yeah. I hope we hear about some wicked Nest and Dropcam and something new stuff.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Here's to 10 more years of pitching smart homes

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah. I hope we hear about some wicked Nest and Dropcam and something new stuff.

Please activate Zigbee on Nest so it can talk to my power meter. Why does it not already do this?!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rastor posted:

this turns my crank

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rastor posted:

Google Now On Tap
Flex Storage
Unified App Settings View
Auto Backup for Apps
Battery Historian V2
Unified Google and device settings

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Inbox announced on Twitter "new features" rolling out and no more invite system. Apparently there will be some Inbox details coming a bit later in this presentation.

EDIT: Trip Bundles, Signatures, Custom Snooze times (maybe they work now), and swipe gesture defaults (now delete!)

FunOne fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 28, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Project Brillo that's a terrible name

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

FunOne posted:

Excessive background tasks and services is the kind of thing that you wish'd they would crack down on, but then they'd have to actually police the play store.

They already do police the play store. Anything that played YouTube in the background (a TOS violation) was deleted from the store only as soon as Google monetized background play in YouTube Key.

I know this forum's Android users like to joke about all the platform's failings, but I left Android for an iPhone just this week (not moving my tablet, though) and I encounter stupid issues doing things that should be simple, like disable the system's Mail client and share links with a third party app, which I still can't do.

It does make all this Android Pay with fingerprint scan hype feel like I'm living on the Enterprise. I just don't buy their battery life promises, though. I've been struggling with wakelocks and background processes for 18 months.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
com.android.doorlock has stopped

"gently caress"

/breakswindow

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Rastor posted:

Alright, MIDI support!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah it literally is Android on Everything. I'm scared

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm hoping for a Chromecast 2. I'm also refreshing the store page to see if anything new pops up suddenly.

Oh, nice, another common language standard for smart homes.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

Mock-up of the new 360?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
alphabetical app list :smug:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
My moisturecontent is zero listening to this

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

I wonder what Flex Storage and Unified app settings view are? The unified settings pane in iOS is just horrible.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Maker Of Shoes posted:

com.android.doorlock has stopped

"gently caress"

/breakswindow

Seriously, android is absolutely not ready for something I depend on. If I had a nickel for everytime I opened my N5 and the camera didn't work or when I answered a call I get "Trusted Face has Crashed" and the phone locks up, I'd have a ton of nickels.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i just hear "veve"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Propaganda Hour posted:

My moisturecontent is zero listening to this

I'm sorry a developer conference keynote doesn't set your heart aflutter.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm hoping for a Chromecast 2

Same, I'm ready to buy it the second they speak the word

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Logikv9 posted:

i just hear "veve"

Sure, make fun of the guy's accent, that's valuable.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Seriously, android is absolutely not ready for something I depend on. If I had a nickel for everytime I opened my N5 and the camera didn't work or when I answered a call I get "Trusted Face has Crashed" and the phone locks up, I'd have a ton of nickels.

Disable Trusted Face and your camera will work (most of the time). That camera daemon has never worked on the Nexus 5, as in it literally launched with the "Cannot connect to camera" error.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
new android feature: AI that will take over :tinfoil:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Disable Trusted Face and your camera will work (most of the time). That camera daemon has never worked on the Nexus 5, as in it literally launched with the "Cannot connect to camera" error.

That reminds me of my TMo HTC Wing. Brand new out of the box it didn't have enough memory to launch the camera. You had to go into the Task Manager to kill apps before you could take your first picture after a boot.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Thermopyle posted:

I was surprised to see the example of Nest/Wear integration being a watch app that allows you to change the temperature. I'd hope they'd just detect I've started driving home and adjust accordingly.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

Really. I'll try that, thanks. I'm always missing my kids doing stuff. The truth is I don't care about taking pictures of them anyways, though.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i missed the majority of this stream so holy gently caress that screen is huge :ohdear:

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

CaptainN posted:

Mock-up of the new 360?

As an avid golfer I just installed this to check it out. Doesn't have the functionality yet.

edit: nevermind, it just doesn't work well. Also the info it tracks is based on your wrist, not the club so it's worthless.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Logikv9 posted:

new android feature: AI that will take over :tinfoil:

I for one... uh enjoy posting without getting probated.

That Kermit thing actually works. Kinda crazy.

• Locked thread