Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Gascoigne is driving me nuts. I can reliably parry him in human form but when he goes wolf he just tears me apart. I've gotten him to ~10% ten times and I just can't seem to finish. I'm using a kirkhammer +2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

i guess i should spoil this since that new guy just showed up, but RE: the real last boss

i had the gehrman betrayal spoiled or me because my phone has google now (where it sees what you're searching for and provides automatic news stories about it) and one of them was some clickbait video game site with "BLOODBORNE: AMAZING SECRET LAST BOSS FIGHT" and a picture of gehrman

anyway, he's a lot harder than any other boss i've faced so far, mostly because i don't ever bother to parry. once i tried a run where i parried him it went a lot quicker, but his phase two is still hard for me. i've only tried it 5 or 6 times so far, though. i may upgrade a quicker, less ammo intensive gun, and try it with that.

its really badass because its more like a fight from an action game than a "souls" game, i wish there wer emore hunter bossfights

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Bought some molitovs and now he's dead. Best $500 game I've ever bought

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Benny D posted:

Gascoigne is driving me nuts. I can reliably parry him in human form but when he goes wolf he just tears me apart. I've gotten him to ~10% ten times and I just can't seem to finish. I'm using a kirkhammer +2

dont parry teh wolf IMO... just sidestep and murk.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Games http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3708107&perpage=40&pagenumber=614#post445875231

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I bought the PS4 version of dark souls II last weekend and have yet to play it, but I might dip into that this weekend to see how it is after so many hours of Bloodborne.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I bought the PS4 version of dark souls II last weekend and have yet to play it, but I might dip into that this weekend to see how it is after so many hours of Bloodborne.

It was on sale this week for 45 and I bought it and I'm excited.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

It was on sale this week for 45 and I bought it and I'm excited.

Really? gently caress I just paid 60 like 3 days ago

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
RE: gascoigne... i was cooping there recently, and realized that the wolf form basically stops dead when he attacks. so get close enough to get him to slash forward and attack, backstep out of it, let him wind down, and then go in and get free hits during his recovery animation. fairly easy, really. sidestepping and hitting his side works in a similar fashion.

anyway, i beat it!

i was out of healing vials and bullets. gehrman was down to his last combo's worth of health. he caught me with the end part of his combo, and i was down to one hit in my lifebar. i sidestepped a combo, applied bolt paper, and rolled into him with a combo, frantically R1ing until he died. i didn't know there was another boss after him, but moon presence was comparitvely easy. just diagonal sidesteps towards his combos and smacking his rear end until he died.

i don't care about platting games, but i might do that with this one at some point.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

ew

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

RE: gascoigne... i was cooping there recently, and realized that the wolf form basically stops dead when he attacks. so get close enough to get him to slash forward and attack, backstep out of it, let him wind down, and then go in and get free hits during his recovery animation. fairly easy, really. sidestepping and hitting his side works in a similar fashion.

anyway, i beat it!

i was out of healing vials and bullets. gehrman was down to his last combo's worth of health. he caught me with the end part of his combo, and i was down to one hit in my lifebar. i sidestepped a combo, applied bolt paper, and rolled into him with a combo, frantically R1ing until he died. i didn't know there was another boss after him, but moon presence was comparitvely easy. just diagonal sidesteps towards his combos and smacking his rear end until he died.

i don't care about platting games, but i might do that with this one at some point.

Congrats. I've only ever platted two games in my life but I want to make Bloodborne the third. The others were dark souls II and Virtues Last reward which doesn't count (it's a visual novel and you get a platinum for reading the whole book)

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Really? gently caress I just paid 60 like 3 days ago

Yeah I think literally the day after you bought it, ps+ members started getting a discount lol :(

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

i played it directly after beating bloodborne (vanilla at least) and it was absurdly easy because i was playing it like bloodborne and being super aggressive

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Whatever, more money for From to make the Bloodborne dlc epic.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SM64Guy posted:

i played it directly after beating bloodborne (vanilla at least) and it was absurdly easy because i was playing it like bloodborne and being super aggressive

I have always played I and II very aggressive so my strats won't change too much, I just wanna see all the remixed stages and poo poo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also never beat the DSII dlc which I've heard is the best parts of the game

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

I have always played I and II very aggressive so my strats won't change too much, I just wanna see all the remixed stages and poo poo

i remembered having trouble with it before bloodborne, but i was barely dying on any bosses before i got them down, i quit at drangleic castle because witcher 3 had just come out though and i still havent beat it

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

i wasnt gonna get the new version of ds2 because i already double dipped on the original between the ps3 version and pc version

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

wnjy does that quote have magic cake

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Also never beat the DSII dlc which I've heard is the best parts of the game

it is. anyway i was so good at ds2 i could probably punch the fume knight to death on a low lvl character but i was getting pwned when i started bloodborne so i asume it will be insanely easy to go back to it now.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

SM64Guy posted:

wnjy does that quote have magic cake

you got lucky. congratulations

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress man..Bloodborne hanging in the back of my mind, fresh install of Dark souls II, GG Xrd, dragon quest V and Splatoon comes out tomorrow. There's too many drat games to play

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
tfw u gotta clean up like 10 suitcases from ur bedrrom floor before u can play bloodborne

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
before starting bloodborne i did a powerstanced rapier + leo ring run of DSII and expansions, which was my first souls character w/out a shield. it took a few hours, but i realized how much a shield handicaps you with that character. then i decided to do a shieldless katana + sorcery run in DS1 as a sort of low rent bloodborne run, and that was incredibly fun. beating O+S was very rewarding. so i guess i was pretty much primed for BB when i got to it, and idk if i would ever use a shield in a souls game again, tbh

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
shields have always and always will be a crutch

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I stopped using a shield in my second playthrough of dark souls I and never looked back bc those games are a ton more fun in no armor with giant swords and clubs. I'm glad they decided to make a game entirely around that style for Bloodborne so that millions more players have had their eyes opened

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

before starting bloodborne i did a powerstanced rapier + leo ring run of DSII and expansions, which was my first souls character w/out a shield. it took a few hours, but i realized how much a shield handicaps you with that character. then i decided to do a shieldless katana + sorcery run in DS1 as a sort of low rent bloodborne run, and that was incredibly fun. beating O+S was very rewarding. so i guess i was pretty much primed for BB when i got to it, and idk if i would ever use a shield in a souls game again, tbh

yeah i wasnt using a shield at all in ds2

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i got around to watching a few videos that describe the whole story, and i really like it, even if it's fairly similar to both Souls games. in the end, it reminded me a lot of evangelion where you have a bunch of religious fanatics trying to spur the next stage of human evolution, but taking place in a heavily perverted version of the christian son of god mythology.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

I.N.R.I posted:

it is. anyway i was so good at ds2 i could probably punch the fume knight to death on a low lvl character but i was getting pwned when i started bloodborne so i asume it will be insanely easy to go back to it now.

I can't figure out where to go cuz the game gatekeeps progression with 'strong foes' and idk what's supposed to be hard. Are these green big knights with cracked blue orbs supposed to be my first enemies??

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I can't figure out where to go cuz the game gatekeeps progression with 'strong foes' and idk what's supposed to be hard. Are these green big knights with cracked blue orbs supposed to be my first enemies??

there's another path to progress on that makes more sense. you used to be able to do that area first, but SOTFS adds in the white knights, who sort of put the kibosh on that (it's still technically doable, but it's harder). regardless, blunt weapon damage will make mincemeat out of the green knights even with a starting character, because the DS2 dudes didn't plan things out very well, and strike is ridiculous throughout the game

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Ok i won't derail into any more ds2 chat but I started as knight and the first 2 things I had to do was buy a parrying shield and strip off my armor and equipment to light roll and minimum encumbrance penalty. Bloodborne has ruined me.

Dec 26, 2012

cant you just parry with your bare hand

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

01011001 posted:

cant you just parry with your bare hand

U can, u can also parry while 2h weapons but its harder than doing it with a shield or bare handed.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

u can do that first if you want, but most people go to the place that u find if u run along the coast of majula

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ok i won't derail into any more ds2 chat but I started as knight and the first 2 things I had to do was buy a parrying shield and strip off my armor and equipment to light roll and minimum encumbrance penalty. Bloodborne has ruined me.

an important note that you might already know is that rolling is deceptive. even if you're light rolling in your animation, it still sucks rear end because invincibility frames are determined by a stat called agility which is composited of adaptability and attunement. i think the breakpoints are like 85 for fat rolling (most characters start around here), 99 for a med roll, and ~110 for a fast roll.

it loving sucks, but you have to sink 15 levels or so to get a roll that isn't a terrible handicap

even worse, roll speed and distance is determined by equipload, which is determined by another one-shot stat (VIG), making you waste even more points if you want to wear whatever clothes you want

i like DS2, but both of those things really hurt the early game and bloodborne's system is miles ahead in terms of mobility and stat allocation, imo

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
yeah if you are lighter in ds2 you'll roll farther than if you're heavy, but your i-frames are determined by your agility which you get from adaptability and a little from attunement.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

stats specifically for i-frames and carry weight infuriate me to no end especially after bloodborne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i liked ds2 combat feel with 32 ADP and <30% equip load. especially being able to roll in any direction which u cant in ds1 ... the games altogther tacky compared to ds1 tho. but dlc gud