Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Chard posted:

Depression Dogs

This place has a cart on my college campus and it's run by this waiflike bearded hipster and looks like poo poo. I think it shut down after a semester

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I'm going to submit an awesome, and a pretty good food, both of which look less than great, for your delectation.

First, Pease Pudding (found a really good looking picture, oddly enough.)

It's made by putting split peas in damp cheesecloth and boiling the bag for a couple hours before taking it out and spicing it. I had tonnes of it every thanksgiving as a kid, with gravy. Way better than mashed potatoes.

Why does the cheesecloth need to be damp if you're putting it in boiling water anyway? (I've never used cheesecloth for anything before)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That's a Swiss-style dog. Hollowed out bread filled with melted raclette cheese and then you jam a dog in there and make a taste baby. Can't be helped if it looks like cum lube, it's goddamn delicious.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tiberius Thyben posted:

First, Pease Pudding (found a really good looking picture, oddly enough.)

It's made by putting split peas in damp cheesecloth and boiling the bag for a couple hours before taking it out and spicing it. I had tonnes of it every thanksgiving as a kid, with gravy. Way better than mashed potatoes.

Pease pudding is great because traditionally it was held that it would be made in a big pot over the fire and basically constantly left simmering. It would be topped up with new bits occasionally, and eaten from occasionally, so unless it was stirred really well, bits of it might have been in therefore days if not weeks.

Might be apocryphal though. But the nursery rhyme had to come from somewhere...

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Daffy Duck loved his pease porridge too

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

They're normal hot dogs, so yes? What do you think hot dogs should look like?

Well they aren't naturally that red so not like that. Natural casing hot dogs can be 'regular' colored.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You know, like normal dogs

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Like these:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Data Graham posted:

You know, like normal dogs

My dog is normal and she is black and white, where do I find black and white hotdogs

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

They're normal hot dogs, so yes? What do you think hot dogs should look like?

I seem to remember McDonald's hotdogs being bright red but other than that it is not the norm in America. Or most other countries, as far as I can tell

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I loving love McDonald's hot dogs, personally.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The one and only true hot dog and I will fite you

http://www.sahlen.com/products/hot-dogs-sausage/

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://vimeo.com/111997940

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Red casing=a red hot in America.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Efexeye posted:

I loving love McDonald's hot dogs, personally.
What the gently caress, where does McDonald's serve hotdogs?

FYI this is a proper hotdog, correct in both toppings (mustard, ketchup, onions, pickle relish) and color (pinkish brown). Now if it were just charred and the bun were toasted, it would be perfect.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Pomp posted:

what do cinnamon candy have to do with hot dogs?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Tiggum posted:

Famous food idiot Pete Evans has written a book that might kill children.

quote:

Pete Evans’ daughters Indi and Chilli
This is the real crime right here.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Pomp posted:

ive seen them sold as red hots or red snappers, but the artificial color of the casing made me assume they are of poor quality (even for hot dogs) so ive never bought them. is there a difference in taste or quality or is it just a regular hot dog thats dyed red?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They're spicy, the casing snaps like a real sausage, they tend to actually be real sausage.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

SaltyJesus posted:

:eyepop: I must try this now. I guess poor people food is similar everywhere, in the southern Balkans you have popara which is old, hardened bread boiled with water or milk eaten mostly with cheese / kajmak but sometimes salted, rendered fat and paprika is an option too.

It can look a hell of a lot more unappetizing than this too, just GIS it.

e: I forgot to say, despite the looks I still love it dearly.

In Poland, we have Wodzionka - a soup that you prepare by pouring boiling water over stale bread, lard and garlic. Yum!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Pomp posted:

They're spicy, the casing snaps like a real sausage, they tend to actually be real sausage.
Where I live, the bright red hotdogs are the ones made by a local company, and they are just regular hotdogs - except that they're the cheapest and worst available option.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

SomeJazzyRat posted:

You motherfucker. Bringing hot dogs into this thread. DO YOU KNOW THE HELL YOU HATH UNLEASHED!

Welp, I warned you guys.

Personally, the best hot dogs I get are at a hot dog stand that I can get Curry Mustard, Chipoltle Ketchup, BBQ, Sriracha, Onions, and Corn Relish. Especially on a Chili Cheese Dog. It may not be great, but goddamnit I like it. It's not high dining and shall not be treated as such.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I start to suspect that some people in the thread may have an unhealthy obsession with wieners.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus posted:

I start to suspect that some people in the thread may have an unhealthy obsession with wieners.

Look inward

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

the best way to prepare a hot dog is to throw it in the garbage where it belongs

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

PCOS Bill posted:

Look ienwer-d

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I realize that for some, this might be a tasty treat, but I've never gotten over the appearance of tapioca pudding. Mom tried to get me and my sister to try on a few occasions, but as soon as I came up with this ditty when I was 8 or 9, it was all over.

(sung to the old Spiderman theme)

Spider eggs! Spider eggs!
Tapioca is spider eggs!
Eat a batch,
Then they hatch,
In your stomach, then your guts scratch!
Look out!
Here come the spider eggs!

edit: grammar

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 03:59 on May 29, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

pookel posted:

Like these:

That's just food colouring/squid ink. Looks weird but is fine to eat.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I realize that for some, this might be a tasty treat, but I've never gotten over the appearance of tapioca pudding. Mom tried to get me and my sister to try on a few occasions, but as soon as I came up with this ditty when I was 8 or 9, it was all over.

(sung to the old Spiderman theme)

Spider eggs! Spider eggs!
Tapioca is spider eggs!
Eat a batch,
Then they hatch,
In your stomach, then your guts scratch!
Look out!
Here come the spider eggs!

edit: grammar

Interesting, according to my mother they were fish eyes. It didn't bother me. Fun side story; I have a four point scar on my abdomen from falling down while eating tapioca pearls from the pudding with a fork. I was a gross clumsy child.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Paladinus posted:

you goddamn wiener Hilter

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

cash crab posted:

you goddamn wiener Hilter

Your avatar still makes me smile every single time you post.

This, however, does not:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Shut up all of you hot dog Hitlers

gently caress

weinerlord hot dog hitlers

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Your avatar still makes me smile every single time you post.

This, however, does not:

:barf: Nacho cheese looks like it came from my nose while I had the flu.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cow-would-bunga, dude.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

pookel posted:

Like these:

This is deeply unsettling on a very deep, visceral level.

This, however, is pretty impressive and looks like it probably tastes pretty decent. I'd sure as hell eat it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

There better not be any anchovies on that. And I mean, NO anchovies. You put anchovies on this thing and you're in big trouble, okay?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Remember the horrible crazy sounding pizzas from the show? Yeah, so does this guy.

http://cinemassacre.com/2011/05/19/tmnt-pizza-taste-test/

I think this video is hilarious.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
You people are far too forgiving of pizzas. Here, have another one to drool over.

Eventually, we'll have pizza topped with pizza-topped pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Dickey Butts posted:

Interesting, according to my mother [tapioca pearls] were fish eyes. It didn't bother me.

Did she also tell you that spinach was toxic waste that would turn you into a mutant if you ate it?

• Locked thread