Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lord Twisted posted:

Hey goons, wanted some advice on making a table.

There's a discussion about this in the terrain thread right now. Basically I recommended 2 of those exact tables (but from Costco) and bolting to them a thick sheet of plywood (ideally supported by boards). You could do the same thing with a single table, velcro strips and the plywood. My ghetto solution for the dining room is four 4' long boards which support my 2x2 game tiles (which are 3mm MDF framed with thin wood strips). I went even more ghetto by using boards from pallets and screwing them together to make the 4' long boards, so they're not even single boards, just boards screwed together. They work, though, and they're kept out of site except when setting up or tearing down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Lord Twisted posted:

Any ghetto solutions I could perhaps consider?

Thanks!

I have a real table in the basement, but I threw together an upstairs/outside one recently that's just my existing 2x3 dining room table with a couple 2x4 sheets of 3/4 inch MDF on top - the material is thick enough to not flex from the overhang, and the weight keeps it from shifting around. When I get around to expanding it to a six foot table, I'll probably just throw a couple long pieces of lumber on the table, then put the MDF on top of that. poo poo's heavy, and I prefer the 4x8 downstairs, but it's cheap and it works alright.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Did we really need more Blood Angels/Space Wolves bits? Also those BA heads with the crowns look dumb as poo poo.

Seriously. The space wolfs boxes have aged amazingly well, and the Dracula Marines got a new tac squad like three months ago. It's not just dumb from a hobby perspective - who's gonna buy that poo poo when they already have kits that do the same thing, but better?

The Dark Angels one is neat, I guess. The helmet with the wings on it is dorky as hell but I like the rest of the bits fine. I wish they didn't have dangly parts on so many of the pauldrons, it fucks up the classic marine silhouette too much and they break off all the time anyway, but gently caress it, that problem can, like almost all problems in the world, be solved with a knife.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

Seriously. The space wolfs boxes have aged amazingly well, and the Dracula Marines got a new tac squad like three months ago. It's not just dumb from a hobby perspective - who's gonna buy that poo poo when they already have kits that do the same thing, but better?

The Dark Angels one is neat, I guess. The helmet with the wings on it is dorky as hell but I like the rest of the bits fine. I wish they didn't have dangly parts on so many of the pauldrons, it fucks up the classic marine silhouette too much and they break off all the time anyway, but gently caress it, that problem can, like almost all problems in the world, be solved with a knife.

Yeah I don't mind the DA stuff as much because they only started getting good bits relatively late, but I'd much rather see upgrade sprues like this for the under-served chapters or even the traitor legions.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.
I like the space dracula and smurfs ones...

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

ANAmal.net posted:

Me. Not paying 30 bucks or trying to battle ebay for blood chalices is worth it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I would assume the SW got a sprue so that they could discontinue the old upgrade sprue that pre-dates the current boxes. I don't really see the point in complaining myself. More bits is more bits. If they do well then we'll see them for other chapters.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Lord Twisted posted:

Any ghetto solutions I could perhaps consider? Getting MDF and stuff is easy, I have a shop nearby that does a 6x4 board for £11. Just need to work out how to make it stand up so I'm not crippling my poor back doing floorham.

Thanks!

I use MDF for my tables, with these stands:
http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-sawhorse-workbench/195547_BQ.prd

As I don't have much space, everything has to go away- and they fold up a lot smaller than other ones I've seen.

The board itself is stored standing vertically, and if it ever shows signs if bowing, I'll start using it the other way up until it's flat again !

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Lord Twisted posted:

Do any goons still play dawn of war 1? Some friends and I had a bit of a Renaissance with the Ultimate Apocalypse mod for soulstorm. Introduces titans etc. Makes imperial guard OP though.

Hrmm, haven't tried that one. I've been fiddling a bit with DoWPRO, which I've really been liking. Rebalances a lot of mechanics for the game which I like, makes morale a lot more important and more punishing when it breaks. It also has a really huge overhaul for Sisters of Battle and gives them a lot of really great looking custom buildings and units.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I hope we get an Iron Hands upgrade pack.

That isn't the existing one.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Hrmm, haven't tried that one. I've been fiddling a bit with DoWPRO, which I've really been liking. Rebalances a lot of mechanics for the game which I like, makes morale a lot more important and more punishing when it breaks. It also has a really huge overhaul for Sisters of Battle and gives them a lot of really great looking custom buildings and units.

It's pretty good. Much larger battles, a ton of new units (though SoB got kinda shafted there unfortunately) and new game modes. Also quite brutal AI.

Thanks for the tip with the saw horses. Do you just need 2 for a 6x4 or more?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I would assume the SW got a sprue so that they could discontinue the old upgrade sprue that pre-dates the current boxes. I don't really see the point in complaining myself. More bits is more bits. If they do well then we'll see them for other chapters.

They only still sell those in the bitz section on the GW site since it hasn't been in anything for years.

That being said I like the look of these, even the redundant ones. I'm gonna have to figure which bits on the Ultramarines sprue will fit in with Horus Heresy duders.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Lord Twisted posted:

Thanks for the tip with the saw horses. Do you just need 2 for a 6x4 or more?

I tend to run a 4x4, and there almost touching, so 2 for a 6x4 should be fine

Renfield fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 28, 2015

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So those sprues are $13.50 apiece. And the transfer sheet are $25.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So those sprues are $13.50 apiece. And the transfer sheet are $25.

The transfer sheets are the size of the Knight ones, so they're pretty massive, but $25 for decals feels a little steep to me. $13.50 for the Marine sprues isn't bad though, especially when you consider that's how much it costs just to get 10 shoulderpads from the bits sections.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Cult Mechanicus specific detachment only lets you run one HQ, correct? What are the benefits of it (I assume rerolling warlord traits as one)?

I'm debating if I need one or two of the HQ units. They look pretty nice for the points, but if I'm not running the standard CAD I won't bother with a second one.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
You can reuse one of the canticles if I remember correctly.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TKIY posted:

You can reuse one of the canticles if I remember correctly.

Thanks. I'll probably run with a normal CAD than... too bad you can't stick them in a unit with the Kastelan!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
wait did roboute get a model?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

wait did roboute get a model?

Robert Girlieman

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

LordAba posted:

Robert Girlieman

drat the critics. I love this model.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghost Hand posted:

There'll be critics for any model from any BL book since it doesn't look like exactly what they imagined, but good gravy I love this model too. It's why I'm starting HH Ultramarines. Considering how intimidated I am by my Thunderbolt and the Contemptor I've had for years, I'll probably get this model and paint it by 2030.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ghost Hand posted:

Truly, a shocking turn of events.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LordAba posted:

Robert Girlieman

That's a hella short sword for a god-warrior

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SRM posted:

There'll be critics for any model from any BL book since it doesn't look like exactly what they imagined, but good gravy I love this model too. It's why I'm starting HH Ultramarines. Considering how intimidated I am by my Thunderbolt and the Contemptor I've had for years, I'll probably get this model and paint it by 2030.

Hello.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Captain Invictus posted:

Considering he's in Primarch armor, that thing's got to be, what, six feet? It'd probably qualify as a short sword for a Primarch, though :v:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Captain Invictus posted:

Its meant to be a gladius I guess, or someone with more milinerd cred will tell me its actually a spatha or something. Agreed it looks sorta strange, its the focal point for his pose and its the least impressive thing on him.

My problem with him is he looks too much like a modern Ultramarine lord, I dig all the ancient looks which I think is why I'd totally go a heresy chapter since you get a unique colour scheme.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Considering he's in Primarch armor, that thing's got to be, what, six feet? It'd probably qualify as a short sword for a Primarch, though :v:

The photo is misleading, the swords bigger than his torso.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Look at the size of the scabbard, y'all. The angle on the picture is what's made the sword look small.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I think I actually like Gulliman's model as bare "marble" more than I like it painted. It reminds me of a bust or statue you'd see in a museum.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Not sure about the expression. He looks tired and bit bored.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think I actually like Gulliman's model as bare "marble" more than I like it painted. It reminds me of a bust or statue you'd see in a museum.

Yeah. Dude looks like Trajan

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So I got to play a couple games yesterday in prep for this Saturday's tournament.

I tried two different lists and both games were set up much in the way the matches in the tournament will be played with combined Altar of War and Maelstrom objective sets.

First match I played I used the following:
HQ
Lord Maccrage - 275
9x Honor Guard w/ Chapter Banner and Pod - 295
Elite
Dreadnaught w/ Multi-Melta and Pod
Troops
10x Tacticals w/ Plasma, Combi, and Pod - 195
10x Tacticals w/ Melta, Combi, and Pod- 190
Heavy Support
10x Devs w/ 4x Lascannon and Pod - 255
Extra
Callidus Assassin - 145

Against a horridly constructed Space Wolves list filled with veterans. I was kind of disappointed, because I wanted to give this list a shot against something more competitive, but ultimately all I lost was a single tactical squad and Calgar who only died in 1v1 combat against my enemy's Wolf Lord(who also died) but the Honor Guard with Power Axes easily handedly 5 Thunder Hammer Stormshield opponents.

The Callidus didn't really get a chance to shine, because my opponent seized the intiative on me, and while she killed 4 wolf guard before going down she only barely made her points back.

The second game I used:
HQ
Tigurius - 165
Elite
5x Assault Terminators w/ 3 Hammers 2 Claws - 215
Troops
10x Tacticals w/ Plasma, Combi, Rhino - 200
Fast Attack
Storm Talon w/ Skyhammers - 125
Land Speeder w/ Typhoon Missile Launcher - 75
Heavy Support
Land Raider Redeemer w/ Multi-Melta - 250
Whirlwind - 65

I played against a more balanced force of Imperial Guard where I lost due to the game ending on turn 5. The entire match was a slog, and while I would've won had we gone to six or seven, I did lose most of my army. First turn two Rhinos were wrecked with both squads failing their pinning. Both pinned squads spent the entire game getting hammered by a Leman Russ and a blob of Guardsmen. The Land Raider did work, but the Terminators inside failed to do anything other than spending two full rounds trying to destroy 3 little sentinels.

At this point I am still unsure which list to run with come this Saturday, and part me is thinking of doing either:
A) Take the first list and swap the Assassin out with the Speeder and Whirlwind from the second list. These games have made it clear that holding objectives is key, and having a sizable back field force is just as important going on the offense.
or
B) Go with list two, and put all my tacticals in drop pods. I am not entirely disappointed with this list, but having my Rhinos get popped is to common an occurrence. I know this isn't a sizable pod force, but it does allow me to drop 20-30 bodies on my enemy's flank with a Land Raider steaming up his way. It forces him to deal with me, and leaves me plenty of remain behind elements that can secure my side while still reaching out and touching him.

I'd welcome any final thoughts before this Saturday. I know Calgar is going to become a LoW so this is likely the last time I'll be able to use him at this tournament scene, so part of me wants to really see him take the field. While dropping him and 29 other bodies turn one isn't the 40-50 Marines you would want hitting the ground on a normal pod list, I still feel they will have a bit of bite to them using tactical doctrine for rerolls, especially if I position them on my opponent's flank.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
This week's Humble Weekly Bundle has Dawn of War GOTY, Dawn of War 2, Dawn of War 2 Retribution, and Space Marine. And some Company of Heroes games.

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Uroboros posted:

At this point I am still unsure which list to run with come this Saturday, and part me is thinking of doing either:
A) Take the first list and swap the Assassin out with the Speeder and Whirlwind from the second list. These games have made it clear that holding objectives is key, and having a sizable back field force is just as important going on the offense.
or
B) Go with list two, and put all my tacticals in drop pods. I am not entirely disappointed with this list, but having my Rhinos get popped is to common an occurrence. I know this isn't a sizable pod force, but it does allow me to drop 20-30 bodies on my enemy's flank with a Land Raider steaming up his way. It forces him to deal with me, and leaves me plenty of remain behind elements that can secure my side while still reaching out and touching him.

I'd welcome any final thoughts before this Saturday. I know Calgar is going to become a LoW so this is likely the last time I'll be able to use him at this tournament scene, so part of me wants to really see him take the field. While dropping him and 29 other bodies turn one isn't the 40-50 Marines you would want hitting the ground on a normal pod list, I still feel they will have a bit of bite to them using tactical doctrine for rerolls, especially if I position them on my opponent's flank.

I'd go with the second list with the pod swap. Or just drop the honor guard out of the first list since they are so drat expensive so you can still rock Calgar.

Edit: also 10 man devs is silly. Also you know you snap fire when the devs hit the ground, yeah?

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 28, 2015

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

This week's Humble Weekly Bundle has Dawn of War GOTY, Dawn of War 2, Dawn of War 2 Retribution, and Space Marine. And some Company of Heroes games.

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

This is a good deal and I would do it if I hadn't bought each one of those games on release, haha

Kinda makes me want to reinstall DoW 2 and play some Last Stand, that was good for a laugh

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

SRM posted:

For the love of God, man, how many ultramarines do you need?

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
That primarch has shoulderpads under his shoulderpads.

But no helmet.

FoE
May 1, 2005
nothing really
Grav-pistol on a biker sergeant traveling with two grav-guns or leave him naked?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ignite Memories posted:

For the love of God, man, how many ultramarines do you need?

All of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lord Twisted posted:

Hey goons, wanted some advice on making a table.

Basically I live in a flat which is a decent enough size but doesn't have enough space to warrant a permanent table like a dining table or something similar.

As a result if I want a gaming table its going to have to be a fold up job. I've looked online and battlemats look to be great for laying over a surface (even onto a thin layer of MDF if required), but I'm kind of stuck in trying to find folding tables and I'm trying to work out if I'm just looking at the wrong things.

This is the kind of thing I've found so far - two of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Folding-Tables-UK-Strength-Guarantee/dp/B002Q95M7O approx 6x2, so put two of them together and you'd get a 6x4 easily.

But that's like £60 for the table.

Any ghetto solutions I could perhaps consider? Getting MDF and stuff is easy, I have a shop nearby that does a 6x4 board for £11. Just need to work out how to make it stand up so I'm not crippling my poor back doing floorham.

Thanks!

I bought a 3x6' folding table cheap. Then bought 1x2" boards and constructed two 3x4' frames and cut MDF to screw into that. Drilled some pegs into one frame, holes in the other, and voila.

Laid a battle mat over that and its literally one of best boards ive played on and incredibly easy to break down and store

• Locked thread