Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I have these leaning shelves from urban outfitters that are pretty nice. Games look good on birch or pine I think

I put my coffin boxes in my giant ikea wardrobe that is deep. Narrow end facing out, on their side.

I have these x shaped bands that I use on some games that I don't trust sideways. I also use them when transporting. A piece of foamcore as a lid works ok too if you didn't keep the punched out cardboard.

I transport my games around in either this square canvas laundry bag or a super goony square idf duffle bag. The canvas on each bag wears on the corners a bit though so I'm thinking about changing to something else

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Zveroboy posted:

I don't mind putting player pieces in baggies, when opening the box you and just pass the bags to the other players and let them get on with tipping them out and organising them. Now that I'm happy with my collection though I really want to start getting some storage solutions together for some of my games for ease of set-up. What's a good source of Plano-type boxes in the UK?

Planos are fishing gear boxes so you should be able to find them or similar at any place that has an outdoors section.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
The jewelry and beads craft section of any store usually has a good selection of plano type boxes too.

Yes, I am a grown man in the jewelry craft section WHAT OF IT

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tekopo posted:

This is the setup i have, although I changed it recently. It's IKEA, but I prefer it to the boxes because I can set the heights of the shelves:

1853 being in the wrong place is making me mad. In fact, the entire bottom half of the bookcase should be in chronological order. :colbert:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Fat Samurai posted:

1853 being in the wrong place is making me mad. In fact, the entire bottom half of the bookcase should be in chronological order. :colbert:
The blank box in between the 18XX games is 1824, so be prepared to be even more mad.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tekopo posted:

The blank box in between the 18XX games is 1824, so be prepared to be even more mad.

I'm mad. I will change the order of those games if I ever met that bookshelf face to face. :argh:

How is Blood Bowl: Team Manager, BTW? Does it have anything to do with the tabletop one?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm mad. I will change the order of those games if I ever met that bookshelf face to face. :argh:

How is Blood Bowl: Team Manager, BTW? Does it have anything to do with the tabletop one?
Not really. It's a bit random to be honest, I think I traded it away. I liked it enough at the time but got a bit bored of it after a few plays.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

bowmore posted:

Love letter is kind of lame as a 2 player

If you like Love Letter as a tiny filler game but want to play it 2 player, you should pickup Brave Rats imo. Hell, it's made by the same designer.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

How is Dawn of the Zeds?

It looks like a good solitaire game and seems to be one of the better Zombie themed games.

Is it worth getting the 2nd Edition and the directors cut add on?

Or should I wait for the 3rd Edition?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

It simulates a season rather than a game. You are playing cards on the games of the season, creating those games' highlights. It does use imagery and ideas from the tabletop game, but is not much like it at all.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fat Samurai posted:

It's like Smash Up, but I enjoy it a bit more than Smash Up, mostly since it's less about last second GOTCHA type effects. That isn't to say that the game still isn't random and silly, but it's slightly less bullshit. I can't really tell you whether its theme is more or less nerdy than Smash Up at this point. Unfortunately, BBTM has been mostly replaced by WH40K Conquest in my eyes, but BBTM is certainly the more economical prospect.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Fat Samurai posted:

I really enjoy BBTM. It's a card game based on the 'fluff' of Blood Bowl and carries over some ideas, and generally does a good job of adding a bit of flavor to each team (chaos attack and foul a lot, elves distribute the ball well and play 'fast' by cycling through the deck faster, etc).

Unfortunately it's one of those games I really like but I rarely get to play since it has a 4 player limit.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Fat Samurai posted:

I own it and get to play it often as my group likes it. I have all the expansions, but to be honest some of the added rules are a little janky, typically I just use the new teams in the expansions.

Personally I'd give it an A- but I can see where others may only give it a B- or C+

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Storagechat:
My friend insists that after playing CAH, that all the cards are sorted back into their original boxes by expansion.

Send help.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Storagechat:
My friend playing CAH
Send help.

FTFY

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Toshimo posted:

Storagechat:
My friend insists that after playing CAH, that all the cards are sorted back into their original boxes by expansion.

Send help.

:nms: that poo poo, goddamn.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Like Magic, CAH has expansion cycles, such as Menstrual

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Here's the game room, just off the foyer. Not pictured: another shelf along the wall to the right, facing into the room; three other bookshelves in the dining room; three or four boxes of duplicates or games we just don't play in the basement.

That thing under the blanket is a Hilinski crokinole board, Over-Achiever.

Yeah, I know, they're not in any kind of order; yes, it's beginning to drive me a bit mad. We're going to work on organizing them soon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Today I basically got my first house, and made an unexpected trip to the games shop as I walked to pick up the keys. Mage Knight for £40. Oh my.

I'm giving myself a day to think about it. I dont think I know anyone who would plat it, although I know a couple who would give it a go. Maybe £40 is better spent on a 'lesser' but more accessible game.

But I just landed myself in a world of debt so what's £40 more?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You're in luck - it's a great single player game.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
So I hear...

Would it be impossible to play with newer people though? I guess they have a co-op mode. Does it hold up as solo only?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yes it does, in fact I have never played competitive Mage Knight v:shobon:v only co-op and solo.

The Lost Legion expansion will make solo or co-op play even better.

I'm sure the rules are online; give the How to Play rulebook (basically a walkthrough) a read and judge whether it would work for you or your group is my best advice.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Fat Turkey posted:

So I hear...

Would it be impossible to play with newer people though? I guess they have a co-op mode. Does it hold up as solo only?

It would be a hard game to teach to someone who comes straight from Monopoly, but it's doable with someone with some knowledge of, say, D&D and Dominion. Mostly because they will probably have a better attitude, not because it helps one bit.

And even if you only play solo, it is worth the money.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zveroboy posted:

I don't mind putting player pieces in baggies, when opening the box you and just pass the bags to the other players and let them get on with tipping them out and organising them. Now that I'm happy with my collection though I really want to start getting some storage solutions together for some of my games for ease of set-up. What's a good source of Plano-type boxes in the UK?

There's a chain called Home Bargains that frequently stock a line of containers in three sizes that are absolutely perfect. They're something like 79p/£1.29/£1.79.

That's the small and the medium; the large is bigger than most boxes will take and probably unnecessary as two mediums will fit.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Getting in on storagechat! The top shelf has inserts taht I refuse to throw away, and various other crap. Next is bad games and MtG. The thirds shelf is Chess, Once Upon a Time in a leather purse I had lying around, two bags of dice, an orange backpack with Mah-Jong and finally all my baggies for easy acces. The the fourth shelf is mostly lighter/physically smaller games and the bottom one is larger games. There are some bad games present, I know.
The thing on the bottom with the foam dice is a speaker around 130cms tall, so the top shelf is close to the ceiling. My apartment is from the 1930s, so the walls are crooked as gently caress, which means I have room for stacking the games with the long side out (except Dungeon Lords).

I just got Pictomania, yesterday Hanabi and Sushi Go fitted on their shelf...

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

TMG is working on a Cthulu-themed Star Realms.

What does poo poo mixed with mediocrity result in?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Crackbone posted:

What does poo poo mixed with mediocrity result in?

Probably an app.

Say what you will about Lovecraft themed games, but I'd play the poo poo out of a Lovecraft themed Consulting Detective game. Or uh, I guess just run Trail of Cthulhu. Either/or.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

signalnoise posted:

Ziplock baggies? Get classy with tubevelopes.

Where do you get these at a reasonable price? The manufacturer wants you to buy hundreds at once.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'm noticing a conspicuous lack of sand timers on these shelves. For shame.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
re: shelf chat circlejerk

The top half is dedicated to empty boxes of things contained in the bottom half, so for example all that Dixit up top is stuffed into the Dixit on the main shelves. There's still a bunch of stuff in storage (mostly bad old poo poo like Monopoly, Heroquest, Space Hulk, etc) and my prototypes tend to inhabit empty Dominion boxes for lack of their own. The shelves to the left are RPG books and some of the Cheapass Games that I need to clean up and resort back into their boxes. Dungeon Lords Happy Anniversary is on the top because it won't fit. 레이스 포 더 갤럭시 is up top because (A) I never play it and (B) it's missing some of the parts anyway. Funny story, that.

From what I've heard, IKEA EXPEDIT was the way to go, but the shelves proper were discontinued and replaced with something else. I keep finding ways to compress the collection whenever I add stuff to The Shelf, so I hopefully won't have to deal with storage for a little while.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I was going to say "holy poo poo that looks precarious," but if they're empty boxes, that's a lot better.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Broken Loose posted:

re: shelf chat circlejerk

The top half is dedicated to empty boxes of things contained in the bottom half, so for example all that Dixit up top is stuffed into the Dixit on the main shelves. There's still a bunch of stuff in storage (mostly bad old poo poo like Monopoly, Heroquest, Space Hulk, etc) and my prototypes tend to inhabit empty Dominion boxes for lack of their own. The shelves to the left are RPG books and some of the Cheapass Games that I need to clean up and resort back into their boxes. Dungeon Lords Happy Anniversary is on the top because it won't fit. 레이스 포 더 갤럭시 is up top because (A) I never play it and (B) it's missing some of the parts anyway. Funny story, that.

From what I've heard, IKEA EXPEDIT was the way to go, but the shelves proper were discontinued and replaced with something else. I keep finding ways to compress the collection whenever I add stuff to The Shelf, so I hopefully won't have to deal with storage for a little while.

GNEDBY is the new name for EXPEDIT FWIW.

Sadly, they discontinued the glass-front display case additions in the name change AFAICT; I was going to get an EXPEDIT and set it up in my goon cave for displaying minis.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
R.I.P. Broken Loose, who was broken from loosely stacked board games (even if they're empty). Fitting obituary.

Here's my setup, two sets of 2x2 Ikea Kallax and matching table/desk. The notebooks on the top left are my Android Netrunner collection, and behind the small games on the top right is another Dominion expansion and Descent 2.0. Pretty much out of space now, so the books will soon be moved to a separate book shelf as my board game collecting hobby is showing no signs of slowing. Looking over it now, it's funny how my collection is so eclectic and how my tastes have changed over time, but pretty much every game here save for Settlers gets regular play.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 28, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Lorini posted:

Where do you get these at a reasonable price? The manufacturer wants you to buy hundreds at once.

http://www.uline.com/BL_3702/Clear-Tube-End-Caps
http://www.uline.com/BL_3651/Clear-Plastic-Tubes

I bought a set of 25 tubes and 50 end caps and I still have a bunch left. If multiple people wanted some, I wouldn't mind doing a group buy and distributing. We'd have to agree on a size of course.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Some Numbers posted:

I was going to say "holy poo poo that looks precarious," but if they're empty boxes, that's a lot better.

The only non-empty boxes on top of the main Shelf are Dominion (which contains Power-Up!) and Dominion: Alchemy (which contains Final Attack!), if you don't count errata'ed cards, Dominion blnaks, and stuff like the extra Stealth Fighter that came with Space Alert: New Frontier. It does freak people out at first.

The cats never get up there and my dingo doesn't ever gently caress with The Shelf, so it's actually really stable.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bottom Liner posted:

R.I.P. Broken Loose, who was broken from loosely stacked board games (even if they're empty). Fitting obituary.

Here's my setup, two sets of 2x2 Ikea Kallax and matching table/desk. The notebooks on the top left are my Android Netrunner collection, and behind the small games on the top right is another Dominion expansion and Descent 2.0. Pretty much out of space now, so the books will soon be moved to a separate book shelf as my board game collecting hobby is showing no signs of slowing. Looking over it now, it's funny how my collection is so eclectic and how my tastes have changed over time, but pretty much every game here save for Settlers gets regular play.

I too live in a furniture catalog.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Countblanc posted:

I too live in a furniture catalog.

Haha, I'm pretty happy with the layout and the looks. It's a very small space and I manage to fit a lot in and keep it organized. Plus, all the furniture there cost like $200 total, can't beat it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I keep all my games in an army duffel, ready to go when SHTF

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Haha, I'm pretty happy with the layout and the looks. It's a very small space and I manage to fit a lot in and keep it organized. Plus, all the furniture there cost like $200 total, can't beat it.

I think the part that makes it look like a furniture catalog is less the consistent decor and more that there's little evidence an actual human being lives there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm sorry your living space isn't nearly disgusting enough and you have three of the 'forbidden games' on your tiny shelves; please remove yourself from this thread and cease posting here.