Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
*Sees a train wreck on the news*

"Hunh, I wonder if they had the right idea????"

*lays down on train rails*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
[post shaming all the sick-brained addicts just lurking until they can post about loving wildstar without shaming]

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

theultimo posted:

I preordered the limited edition, and played 3 hours before saying gently caress this. Is it worth coming back to?

No.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
They may have gone free to play but they didn't reduce the ugly art design factor so

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Mechanism Eight posted:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/28/wildstar-free/

Years of content, guys. Guess that's where all the monthly content drops went :v:

This is very similar to their quarterly content patches plan. I understand that Carbine is in full hype mode currently, but loving come on. Do they ever loving learn that big promises like this backfire when you don't deliver?

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
So how is everyones fav Wildstar personality FranBunny taking all this poo poo?

They better not be wiping everyones accounts I may start playing this game again, need to finish my house

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
After seeing those teeth in okay with pretending she doesn't exist.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I was under the impression that wildstar would not ever be going free to play because that's for scrub games.

Wildstar posted:

“Free-to-Play is for games that suck, or have failed, and that’s that! ‘Wildstar’ does not suck, nor has it failed, so we won’t be going Free-to-Play.!”

Oh I guess it's cause it sucks and failed.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

CoffeeBooze posted:

This is very similar to their quarterly content patches plan. I understand that Carbine is in full hype mode currently, but loving come on. Do they ever loving learn that big promises like this backfire when you don't deliver?

Actually you can promise whatever you want because most mmo players are too dumb to stop playing a game that doesn't deliver

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

randombattle posted:

I was under the impression that wildstar would not ever be going free to play because that's for scrub games.

The dev who said that quit two months after launch.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SarutosZero posted:

Actually you can promise whatever you want because most mmo players are too dumb to stop playing a game that doesn't deliver

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The word from my man in the know is that everyone at carbine is finding the nearest exit and moving to ANY other studio.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

SarutosZero posted:

As evidenced by Elder Scrolls.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Byolante posted:

The word from my man in the know is that everyone at carbine is finding the nearest exit and moving to ANY other studio.

Cyster :ohdear:

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Going free2play is just this game's way of going on life support long enough for them to figure out where the heck someone left the screwdriver to undo the clamps on the servers

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SarutosZero posted:

*Sees a train wreck on the news*

"Hunh, I wonder if they had the right idea????"

*lays down on train rails*

This really stresses you out doesn't it?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

onesixtwo posted:

The dev who said that quit two months after launch.

Just like the player base then.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Iron Tusk posted:

This really stresses you out doesn't it?

well it didnt take long for a "Heh you mad?" wildstar defense post to appear

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Byolante posted:

Fortunately, Carbine has hired two of the best people in the industry to deal with their current financial situation. Let's give them a warm welcome!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SarutosZero posted:

Don't pick a fight a with Iron Tusk, fella. His Bad Game defense skills are legendary. Few people defended MWO and lived to tell of it.

No storm can break him.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Don't pick a fight a with Iron Tusk, fella. His Bad Game defense skills are legendary. Few people defended MWO and lived to tell of it.

No storm can break him.

Thank you for the heads up fellow poster I will take this warning to heart

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Mechanism Eight posted:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/28/wildstar-free/

Years of content, guys. Guess that's where all the monthly content drops went :v:

To be fair, he never said years of new content.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
If they sold it to someone who likes to make good fun games - like Blizzard - with the art assets and all, they might be able to pull a nice F2P game out of the rubble. There are actually small parts that are fun.
It's like SWTOR - they had horrible grind quests with awful mob placement which made the storyline fade into screams of poo poo. When they put in 12x storyline XP, it became very fun to play. They finally realized "our planetary quests are in the most part poo poo" and got rid of the necessity for the player to trudge through such below-standard crap questing.

Same could go for this game - if they actually could trim the poo poo (raid dipshittery) from the good parts, subcontract Blizz to revamp some questlines and mechanics, and silence their current "fans" to get real feedback from the rest - then they could have a chance at a profitable, slightly growing game.

But that would cost money and ego so it will not happen.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Republicanus posted:

If they sold it to someone who likes to make good fun games - like Blizzard - with the art assets and all, they might be able to pull a nice F2P game out of the rubble. There are actually small parts that are fun.
It's like SWTOR - they had horrible grind quests with awful mob placement which made the storyline fade into screams of poo poo. When they put in 12x storyline XP, it became very fun to play. They finally realized "our planetary quests are in the most part poo poo" and got rid of the necessity for the player to trudge through such below-standard crap questing.

Same could go for this game - if they actually could trim the poo poo (raid dipshittery) from the good parts, subcontract Blizz to revamp some questlines and mechanics, and silence their current "fans" to get real feedback from the rest - then they could have a chance at a profitable, slightly growing game.

This would be better, but then it would also leave a very big void. Removing the tedious parts of the game would leave very little for players to do at end game. They do need to reform these tedious parts and make it all much more fun and accessible but that is not enough. They need to give the players something more enjoyable to do as well that isn't raiding and takes quite a bit of time. The other option is to release content on a strict schedule but we all know how well that worked for them previously.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Today I got an e-mail telling me Wildstar goes F2P. Which is quite funny, considering weeks ago I said to myself: "The game is nice enough once in a while, but I'll sure as hell don't want to pay money for it every month.".

Time to reinstall!

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Libluini posted:

Today I got an e-mail telling me Wildstar goes F2P. Which is quite funny, considering weeks ago I said to myself: "The game is nice enough once in a while, but I'll sure as hell don't want to pay money for it every month.".

Time to reinstall!

It is not actually F2P yet. That happens this Fall.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Turning the game into a more complete and accessible experience takes time and money and they've already pissed away a lot of their time and money with the original HARDCORE! model. I doubt they'll be allotted enough resources to try to bail it out properly.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Xavier434 posted:

It is not actually F2P yet. That happens this Fall.

I know I just signed up for the closed F2P-beta

Jaragoh
Nov 27, 2004

But if you subscribe from now until F2P starts they'll give you these things!

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SarutosZero posted:

Well, are you? You seem to be quite mad. I quit Wildstar when everyone else did. I've dicked around a couple of times with the vet ship-hands since I had so much sub time remaining, but I don't really have any intention of playing anymore.

Republicanus posted:

Keeping the raid dipshittery could be fine if they broke down and did what literally everyone else does and have multiple difficulties. That and re-tuning it so it's not horrifyingly exhausting. Some parts of GA were fun, but that all got lost in the hours and hours of grinding though trash and over-tuned bosses where 1 small mistake by 1 person costs you the kill. I wouldn't really expect any of this in the near term though. They've got what, like 3 dudes left doing the raiding part?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Republicanus posted:

Did the Old Republic decide to stick with its 12X exp? I thought that was only a limited time thing to build hype for the newest expansion before it shipped.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

I know I just signed up for the closed F2P-beta

hosed up if true

Jaragoh
Nov 27, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Did the Old Republic decide to stick with its 12X exp? I thought that was only a limited time thing to build hype for the newest expansion before it shipped.

It's back for subscribers until sometime later this year.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jaragoh posted:

But if you subscribe from now until F2P starts they'll give you these things!

You know, this just makes me more determined to stay unsubscribed until Wildstar is F2P.

Gildiss posted:

hosed up if true

Signed up doesn't mean I actually get in, though! But still, free stuff etc.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

I said come in! posted:

They brought it back and it's here to stay until the fall.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jaragoh posted:

It's back for subscribers until sometime later this year.

Guess i'm resubbing to TOR.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I'm legit excited about f2p because I miss my house.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Mattavist posted:

I'm legit excited about f2p because I miss my house.

I'm kind of curious what kind of sicknasty houses people were able to make with a year's time.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dreffen posted:

They brought it back and it's here to stay until the fall.

I have a feeling that it's going to end up being permanent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

theultimo posted:

As evidenced by Elder Scrolls.

Hey now, the ESO devs actually seem to have listened to what players were saying, and people say it's much better than it was at launch.

• Locked thread