Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
Could someone recommend how I should build my skills?

I want to wear the besr armour (as it's the sexiest armour) but I like to use signs. Am I going to have to pick one over the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
You actually don't need to level up first tier Quen to unlock the second tier upgrade. You can put 8 points anywhere in the first row of talents to unlock any talent in the second row. It can still be worth it to invest in the first talent depending on how much you lean on Quen, but there are other good options as well. Axii and Yrden both scale really with the first tier talents, for example.

Edit:

Hallowed posted:

I want to wear the best armour (as it's the sexiest armour) but I like to use signs. Am I going to have to pick one over the other?

Rage Management, Adrenaline Burst, and Focus will let you cast signs with adrenaline, gain adrenaline by casting signs, and scale sign intensity according to how much adrenaline you've built up. All three are pretty good for a hybrid melee/caster build and will conserve stamina to be used with Rend from the melee tree. Razor Focus and Undying are both important for higher difficulties if you want to go that route. If you want to wear Bear armor instead of Griffin you should slot 4-5 "Blue" skills with Blue Mutagens to help with sign intensity and stamina regen.

Woozy fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 28, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hallowed posted:

I want to wear the besr armour (as it's the sexiest armour) but I like to use signs. Am I going to have to pick one over the other?
You would have to define "best armour".

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

You would have to define "best armour".

probably meant bear

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Hallowed posted:

Heavy armour and signs is not the best combination since it reduces your stamina regeneration. Maybe if you go for the "rage management" skill that lets you use Adrenaline points for signs?

GentleJudge
Feb 28, 2011

Hallowed posted:

What armor are you talking about?

If you are talking about the Ursine armor, from what I read the adrenaline regen on it coupled with the skill that uses adrenaline instead of stamina, would allow you to chain cast spells much more readily than other armors.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Hallowed posted:

I'm wearing the bear armor right now as a signs heavy build and I'm having a blast. Really, there isn't a wrong way to build your character, just choose what is fun.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Woozy posted:

You actually don't need to level up first tier Quen to unlock the second tier upgrade. You can put 8 points anywhere in the first row of talents to unlock any talent in the second row. It can still be worth it to invest in the first talent depending on how much you lean on Quen, but there are other good options as well. Axii and Yrden both scale really with the first tier talents, for example.

Yeah I didn't mean to imply that you need the first level to get the second. It's just a fairly useful upgrade to get since literally everyone is going to be spamming Quen (or at least casting it before every fight), whereas the other sign talents depend on whether or not you actually use them. Also you only need 6 points for the Sign tree (8 is for melee) so going 3/3 in Quen and Axii is a decent starting build that'll give you a lot of survivability and give you some extra dialogue options.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Darth Windu posted:

Cases like the baron's are never as clear cut as feminists would have you believe.

Another winning comment from the thread that came up with "slavery is good".

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Does anyone know if the first Igni talent that reduces enemy armor works on everything or just humans enemies that have actual armor?

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm wearing the bear armor right now as a signs heavy build and I'm having a blast. Really, there isn't a wrong way to build your character, just choose what is fun.

Is that based around the 'rage management' skill?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Just reposting since the page changed:

Woozy posted:

Rage Management, Adrenaline Burst, and Focus will let you cast signs with adrenaline, gain adrenaline by casting signs, and scale sign intensity according to how much adrenaline you've built up. All three are pretty good for a hybrid melee/caster build and will conserve stamina to be used with Rend from the melee tree. Razor Focus and Undying are both important for higher difficulties if you want to go that route. If you want to wear Bear armor instead of Griffin you should slot 4-5 "Blue" skills with Blue Mutagens to help with sign intensity and stamina regen.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The comparisons to Dragon Age every five posts aren't getting old at all

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Woozy posted:

The dude is mad because he can't launch into a counter attack for free after completing the herculean task of ~landing a parry~, something the game, through Vesemir, directly warns you about not more than 10 minutes into the story.
It's a great click / troll bait video that basically boils down to - 'This reminds me of the Dark Souls or Arkham series, and I'm bad at the game.'

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
114 hours and finally hit the end. I almost wouldn't have minded if they'd cut out the open world for the last 1/5th of the game. Normally I'd be super against Xenogears style bullshit but after 90 hours of wandering around the map I was basically skipping directly to my next story waypoint by this stage. I'd thought the end of the game was occurring a lot earlier, back when you first find Ciri and so I did like 80% of the side quest content before I finally said gently caress it and continued and was then like "oh poo poo".

Everything that happened from when you first take Uma back to Caer Morhen through the Siege of Caer Morhen is loving gold. Easily some of the best bits of video gaming I've ever done. I laughed at the Witcher's getting drunk and prank calling someone on the megascope, and cried at crowning a new Queen of Skellige and the death of Vesamir. I cheered when all my allies showed up at Caer Morhen(though I was pissed that the game forced Roche into my story instead of Iroveth, not that I didn't like Roche, I just had a better bromance in the 2nd game with Iroveth) then felt ashamed when telling both Triss and Yennifer I loved them backfired on me. I'm not sure what I didn't do but the lodge didn't have a resolution in my story. The only thing I heard about Yennifer was that she stayed in the north, no mention of Triss and no mention of what happened with Phillipa(but I really wanted to mount her head on my roach). [spoiler]

Great game. I think I still liked the 2nd game more, but this game did not disappoint. I think the 2nd game is like a 10 to this game's 9.8. This game lacked some great music, the narrative was a little thrown off by the open world bits where I felt the side quests felt a bit more natural in Assassin of Kings. The combat system has kind of dropped into a bit of staleness since the first game. I felt like the 3 styles thing was really something that could have stuck around and been a mainstay. I felt like this game they treaded into more mainstream territory of generic timing blocks and dodging which AoK did better. Geralt's movements never felt quite as smooth and I felt like you couldn't chain your dodges and attacks as easily as the second. That might be rose colored glasses, but I remember the second game having really tight combat movements and this game you're rolling like 4 yards with every roll.

I think my biggest complaint though is that the [spoiler] titular Wild Hunt never feels like a threat in the game even in the late game they're mostly relegated to story missions. One contract near Novigrad is to help some wine makers hunt a beast and you discover it's a hound from the wild hunt. That was the best because it actually felt like the Wild Hunt were an interesting part of the world that interacted with things more regularly. Maybe they could have had some random bands ride around raiding and you had to take contracts to stop them, that would have been great. Certainly would have been better than my millionth random bandit camp.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Nakar posted:

Baron's quest line ending stuff

From a gameplay point of view this discussion seems a bit silly, since I think the only choice the player has is whether or not to kill the tree spirit thing. You never get to choose what happens after that.

For instance, my reasoning was that this tree spirit I just can't trust - people have been murdered and mutilated, and there's a goddamn werewolf guarding this cave entrance, this stinks. I was hoping to find out more about the spirit actually, because it might still be the lesser evil compared to the crones; but the choices were help it or kill it, and I simply couldn't trust it.

Then after that, I wanted to kill the crones, kill the witch hunters and for the baron to at least have the decency to hang himself, but none of that was an option. At least the crones and witch hunters I might encounter later on.

Even if there had been some kind of choice of what to do with the baron's wife, it still would have been far from an easy decision. Give her back to the wife-beating oval office of a husband? But where else could she have gone? Would she have any hope of a recovery (or anything, really) anywhere else?

I suppose another resolution is that you can choose to not go back to the swamp with the baron. (It's not a main quest at that point.) I went with him because I wanted to confront the crones.

Anyway, I don't think the amount of choice given to the player here is in any way insufficient. drat good quest chain, has to be the best I've ever played.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Hallowed posted:

Is that based around the 'rage management' skill?

Nope I haven't really touched the general skills outside of Sun and Stars.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nakar posted:

The ending is completely defensible and not the least bit wrong, at least inasmuch as any choice in that entire sequence is (where lovely things happen regardless). You're falsely hung up on the idea that the Baron is somehow [spoiler]being rewarded in that ending, when he isn't, and ignoring all the poo poo Geralt put him through to make him realize that he's a shithead, and the way Geralt deliberately forced the Baron to be the one to take the steps that were needed, forcing him to become a person who will do what he has to do to change himself and repair the damage he's done, even if it means living with his own suffering.

So? At what point does "The Baron realized he was a shithead" at all equal to this being a defensible ending. It doesn't even matter if he changes. He got his wife back when she left him and she didn't get a say in it. The fact tha the Baron was "the only one who could do anything' doesn't change that. He is an abuser who is given full control over the woman he abused.

It isn't about getting a second chance. It isn't about it being the only option. It is about it being an outcome where you force an abused wife to go back to her husband because nobody else will care for her. That is terrifyingly awful. It may be the only option as presented but that doesn't make it defensible. It makes it horrific.

That doesn't make it bad writing either! It's okay for an ending to be horrifying and depressing and all that. However it isn't bittersweet, it isn't positive, it isn't anything but awful. Which is appropriate for The Witcher and it isn't the only story like that in the game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are there yellow mutagens to synergize with the "general" skills, or only Red/Green/Blue ones?

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
During Family Matters, I was yet again astounded by the facial features in the game.

When dealing with (mid Family-Matters spoiler) burying the botchling, the look on Geralt's eyes managed to convey this look of deep sadness. It was just a subtle furrow of the brow, but drat...

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
So like other people I started the master swordsmith quest in Novigrad, then got worried because the very first step is a "be here at a certain time" thing. To make sure I don't bug it out I went there and cheesed my way through the level 24 bandits at level 15 (flamethrower igni is good) and finished the chain.

Now the final quest reward would apparently be scaled down to my level, which I don't want. I wonder what will happen if I delay choosing the "gimme the sword" conversation option until I'm level 24 or thereabouts; will I then get a level 24 sword? Guess we'll see later.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The npc reaction that impressed me the most is during the side quest "A tower out of nowhere". There's a wizard stuck behind a force field that tasks you with finding a specific book to free him, and when you bring it and tell him you have it, his entire body just bursts into a pose of relief. He straightens his back, lifts his head, and his face bursts into a huge smile. It's amazing with all the small details.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Just to be sure, you can respec your character by getting a potion from a vendor, right? I don't mind throwing points into skills as long as I can go back and reset if I gently caress it up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rabble posted:

Just to be sure, you can respec your character by getting a potion from a vendor, right? I don't mind throwing points into skills as long as I can go back and reset if I gently caress it up.

Yeah. It's a thousand bucks a pop but honestly a thousand bucks is nothing significant.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

jaete posted:

So like other people I started the master swordsmith quest in Novigrad, then got worried because the very first step is a "be here at a certain time" thing. To make sure I don't bug it out I went there and cheesed my way through the level 24 bandits at level 15 (flamethrower igni is good) and finished the chain.

Now the final quest reward would apparently be scaled down to my level, which I don't want. I wonder what will happen if I delay choosing the "gimme the sword" conversation option until I'm level 24 or thereabouts; will I then get a level 24 sword? Guess we'll see later.

I think I was around level 24 or 25 when I did it and he gave me a total piece of crap, even for the level the weapon was (21).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Speaking of amily Matters, am I supposed to get XP at the end of it? Just when the Baron goes to get Anna. I'm getting XP from Secondary Quests, so apparently my game is not bugged, but reports say that the bug is kind of random.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Rabble posted:

Yeah, there are a few merchants that carry one, but they restock and the master alchemist carries 5, so it's not even limited. They're just a little expensive, 1000 crowns each.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Was I supposed to get a quest from the bounty board in Downwarren? It was marked with a ! but I didn't get a quest from it and some googling says that there's supposed to be a witcher contract there.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Asehujiko posted:

Was I supposed to get a quest from the bounty board in Downwarren? It was marked with a ! but I didn't get a quest from it and some googling says that there's supposed to be a witcher contract there.

Not all bounty boards has contracts, but the first time you visit a bounty board it reveals all the PoIs in the vicinity. That's why they're marked yellow.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

So? At what point does "The Baron realized he was a shithead" at all equal to this being a defensible ending. It doesn't even matter if he changes. He got his wife back when she left him and she didn't get a say in it. The fact tha the Baron was "the only one who could do anything' doesn't change that. He is an abuser who is given full control over the woman he abused.

It isn't about getting a second chance. It isn't about it being the only option. It is about it being an outcome where you force an abused wife to go back to her husband because nobody else will care for her. That is terrifyingly awful. It may be the only option as presented but that doesn't make it defensible. It makes it horrific.

That doesn't make it bad writing either! It's okay for an ending to be horrifying and depressing and all that. However it isn't bittersweet, it isn't positive, it isn't anything but awful. Which is appropriate for The Witcher and it isn't the only story like that in the game.

lol you're literally retarded if you think that ending is meant to be "awful"

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Verranicus posted:

EDIT, unrelated: I'm surprised I haven't seen more videos/articles of outraged feminists/SJWs about how sexist and oppressive the game is.

While there's a lot of sexualization of women which is nothing new in games, the game doesn't always portray women as only either objects or weak princesses that need to be protected. Arguably the most powerful characters you meet outside of the Wild Hunt bosses are the Lodge sorceresses and the only reason they seem to tolerate Geralt is because they either want to gently caress him or they need him to go get dirty or go beat some people up. Of course the game isn't perfect and not every woman in the game is completely fleshed out and there are a bunch of whores whose only role is to be there for a sex scene, but there are a lot of women who carry the main story itself, and there are quite a few times where characters are having conversations about their own goals and ambitious which don't necessarily involve Geralt(i.e. passes the Bechdel test).

The highs are higher than most games but there are still some low points as well.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Eonwe posted:

this is the best RPG ive played in like a decade and is in an undetermined spot in my top 3

same

I thought pillars of eternity was gonna bring it really hard but The Witcher 3 blows everything else out of the water.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
Re: Choosing Triss over Yen:

Telling Yen I didn't love her after the Djinn breaks the spell and she says she still loves Geralt made me feel like the worst kind of shitler. Her response is confusion:

Yen: I don't understand, I still feel the same so you should too. What does it mean?

Geralt: It means the Djinn granted your wish. :smith:

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Archimago posted:

Telling Yen I didn't love her after the Djinn breaks the spell and she says she still loves Geralt made me feel like the worst kind of shitler. Her response is confusion:

Yen: I don't understand, I still feel the same so you should too. What does it mean?

That poo poo was so gut wrenching I nearly started the whole game over on the spot.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Archimago posted:

I chose Yen the first time through and I'm really looking forward to seeing what the Triss path looks like. I felt like a jerk letting her go on the ship with the other mages and then having Dijkstra giving me poo poo about it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Wachepti posted:

I chose Yen the first time through and I'm really looking forward to seeing what the Triss path looks like. I felt like a jerk letting her go on the ship with the other mages and then having Dijkstra giving me poo poo about it.

That was hilarious, does anyone have a screenshot of him chewing you out?

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
For those who wanted a bit more info on it there is an in game book about the Whispering Hillock its called "She who sleeps" or The sleeping lady or something.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Archimago posted:

I disliked Yen at the beginning of the game but that quest really swung her into my favor. I didn't read the books and just assumed that they were old lovers who Geralt remembered he had feelings for and could need saving from the Wild Hunt which made sense why he and Triss split. Then this scene came along and I got all teary-eyed and felt like maybe they were meant to be destined to be together.

(Don't read the next spoiler unless you want to be spoiled)

Unfortunately I'd already told Triss I loved her, which I genuinely felt at the time still remembering that I spent the better part of the second game trying to save her. Which meant that TW3 ending for me was Geralt being alone. :(

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Has anyone found out whether Melt Armor for Igni ever does anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Bogarts posted:

For those who wanted a bit more info on it there is an in game book about the Whispering Hillock its called "She who sleeps" or The sleeping lady or something.

The book that says the daughters (the crones?) imprisoned their mother out of the goodness of their hearts and their love for the people of Velen? For some reason I don't trust that book a hundred percent.