Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I wonder if they originally intended for Manderly to be a part of the show but something happened to change their minds. After all they went to the effort to place the Manderly sigil on an extra at the Red Wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

hemale in pain posted:

I forgot about the corkscrew. I can't believe that's going to be an actual plot point.

Previews make it look like she may be using it on Theon.

What if she tells Theon that she'll use it on herself to take her eye out? Then Theon knows Ramsay would punish him for letting it happen.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Sansa should flay Theon a little, just to show him she's an empowered woman.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

lifts cats over head posted:

I wonder if they originally intended for Manderly to be a part of the show but something happened to change their minds. After all they went to the effort to place the Manderly sigil on an extra at the Red Wedding.

HBO only allows one fatass in their shows and they already have Sam.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Yeah, the thing is that scene is ridiculous. It is completely ridiculous that Cersei and Jamie would have consensual, passionate sex right then and there after their son died. It's just preposterous. It's also completely ridiculous and preposterous that Khal Drogo has consensual sex with Daenerys on her wedding night. Just complete dumb poo poo.

Pretend it was the other way around. In the books, Drogo rapes Dany. In the show, he's way nicer. What would everyone think? That they sanitized it for the dumb babies in the audience, or whatever. Or if Sansa was raped in the books but in the show it was Jeyne. "Whoa, way to dumb it down, writers. Who cares about Jeyne? Didn't have the balls to rape a main character?"

It's worth noting that that was the first time Cersei and Jaime had seen eachother for at least a year. Having people shag who care for eachother after a long time apart itself isn't odd. It's just a really hosed place to do it, which they acknowledge in that scene as well (not just the little quote posted here). It also turns out to be the last time in the books that those two got together like that. Jaime says no when she comes to him in the tower where the Kingsguard are (unsure about the name... is it White Sword Tower?).

And anyone who wants "more rape" in a show needs to see a shrink, regardless of the reasons. I'm not talking about you or anyone else in this thread (I hope), obviously.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
At that point in the book Jaime and Cersei have a very unhealthy psychological dependency upon each other, incidentally that scene is also pretty much the final time they look at each other and see the perfect twin/lover/reflection that was such a pivotal part of their lives up until them, them loving over the corpse of their child as their own love for one another is dying is kinda important thematically.

In the show it was an entirely different dynamic cause Cersei pretty much already looks down at Jaime at that point and he also changed a lot for the better so it was kind of jarring but in a way it was portrayed like he was 'addicted' to her in some manner. I think that the scene was crap due to the changes that preceded it, they really shouldn't have done that scene and how 'rapey' it was had little to do with it, for me.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

El Hefe posted:

HBO only allows one fatass in their shows and they already have Sam.

Well, they would make their boob quota a lot easier if they weren't so sexist!

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Handcuffed Tyrion beating the poo poo out of a slave overseer, Jorah's zomg invincible power of love battle, and the snaketits poison scene just reinforce the fact that this show does not give and has never given a poo poo about realism except as an excuse for rape scenes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Handcuffed Tyrion beating the poo poo out of a slave overseer, Jorah's zomg invincible power of love battle, and the snaketits poison scene just reinforce the fact that this show does not give and has never given a poo poo about realism except as an excuse for rape scenes.

How is the Jorah battle not consistent with what we know of the show so far?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Any time they want to shock you, they get the feel 100% right. Ned's death, the Red Wedding, and then the Ramsay/Sansa scene.

Or maybe in all fairness, it's any moment they consider major. Blackwater was perfect.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
No way should that experienced knight be subduing those malnourished slaves so easily

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
The slave overseer Tyrion beats up is like a 15 year old kid, and we've seen that Tyrion is highly proficient at smacking around teenagers.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

No way should that experienced knight be subduing those malnourished slaves so easily

Yeah, and its not like he was actually dueling them. He just walked up and cold-cocked a bunch of them and then peaced out to the next dude.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Apparently epiosde 10 is called "Mother's Mercy".

Margaery/Cersei/Loras get punished or forgiven? I'm sure D&D are trolling book readers since Lady Stoneheart has almost certainly been cut.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ague Proof posted:

Margaery/Cersei/Loras get punished or forgiven? I'm sure D&D are trolling book readers since Lady Stoneheart has almost certainly been cut.

High Sparrow has already namedropped that phrase in the show. If you repent, you receive the Mother's mercy. Presumably ep 10 is the walk of shame ep.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
for me it was unrealistic because he was wearing the exact same poo poo he's always been wearing and he was like 10 feet away from Dany who I guess didn't realize it was Jorah until he took his helmet off. you can recognize people you know from far greater distances than that, especially if you know them well. that being said, that part of the show I still like but the winterfell parts are terrible.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Ague Proof posted:

Maybe Lady Stoneheart shows up at Winterfell to wreck havoc on the Freys and Boltons there and gives Brienne mercy?

You never know! :v:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

loquacius posted:

High Sparrow has already namedropped that phrase in the show. If you repent, you receive the Mother's mercy. Presumably ep 10 is the walk of shame ep.

It still seems like a strange title choice. They usually try to do multiple meanings and the only other mother I can think of is Dany.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Remember when Jorah used to wear plate mail that made him look like a total badass? Though I guess once they started filming his bits in Morocco walking around in that outfit became a bit difficult.

Anyway, recognizing someone you know is easy and all but Dany didn't expect Jorah to be there and he was wearing a helmet that made him look pretty freaky, my immersion was not ruined by that bit fwiw.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I doubt the title is anything but For The Watch. Then again, this is D&D and they've proven with this season that they can gently caress up anything easy.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Season finale titles:
1. Fire and Blood
2. Valar Morghulis
3. Mhysa
4. The Children
5. Mother's Mercy

Season 5's "The Gift" was such a huge fakeout as it did not acknowledge the literal tracts of land with that name nor the House of Black and White's association with it. I have a hard time trusting that Hardhome, The Dance of Dragons, and Mother's Mercy will have the content they imply.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Scratch what I said. It does appear to be Mother's Mercy. And Stannis confronts a troubling decision in episode 9. Guess who's burning. :(

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
If Stannis consents to burning Shireen this show can gently caress itself forever.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

If Stannis consents to burning Shireen this show can gently caress itself forever.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
"I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"
"He's very cruel your grace, chopped me penis right off he did!"
"Oh well! Time to burn my awesome daughter and only living heir!"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Apoplexy posted:

Scratch what I said. It does appear to be Mother's Mercy. And Stannis confronts a troubling decision in episode 9. Guess who's burning. :(

Her greyscale returns all of a sudden and Stannis has to burn her out of mercy. He also develops a hidden suspicion that Melisandre might have had something to do with the greyscale returning. Melisandre pulls out her tits to put his suspicions to rest. BAM! Great drama, great show! See you all in season 6!

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

waitwhatno posted:

Her greyscale returns all of a sudden and Stannis has to burn her out of mercy. He also develops a hidden suspicion that Melisandre might have had something to do with the greyscale returning. Melisandre pulls out her tits to put his suspicions to rest. BAM! Great drama, great show! See you all in season 6!

Potato boy nods.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Maybe he sends Melisandre back to the wall to keep her away from Shireen.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
If you are actually criticizing the "realism" of scenes like Jorah in the fighting pit, and tyrion punching the slaver, please understand that your opinion is so hilariously worthless that you should probably never attempt to critique either the book or the show again.

I mean this is a universe where legendary figures routinely carve their way through unspeakable odds, and it's unthinkable that a Knights can't easily defeat a bunch of slaves in what was basically a series of brief 1 on 1 fights?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Predictions:

Episode 8, Hardhome - Sansa continues to have a hard time in her former home. John Snow has the week off
Episode 9, Dance of Dragons - Meereen just can't stop shakin' it as the royal wedding reception carries on long into the night.
Episode 10, Mother's Mercy - Arya adopts her new persona, Mercy. This "bottle episode" finds Jaqen judging Mercy and the Waif's "Best of a Hundred" Game of Faces tourny.

A brief post-credits scene shows Cersei, bruised and battered in her cell. But... the cell door suddenly opens? She stares directly at the camera, eyes in disbelief. Is that a glimmer of hope, or despair, that shines through her swollen, teary eyes? "You...." she cries, as the camera fades to black.

Game of Thrones Will Return

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
If Selyse burns Shireen after Stannis marched to winterfell I would actually think it's an interesting change, Show Selyse is a complete nutjob who only barely holds on to her sanity, a mere suggestion from Melisandre that R'hllor wants Shireen to burn would probably be enough to get her to do that and then next season after Stan takes winterfell we will get the awesome Nissa Nissa moment as stannis plunges not-lightbringer through her heart. But Stannis murdering another family member himself, particularly the only one he actually likes, would just be so lovely and stupid that I will be seething with sperg rage for weeks straight.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Normy posted:

That WOULD bring her back there in time to rez Jon. Wishful thinking itt.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Normy posted:

Oh you sweet, sweet summer child. You poor, poor book reader. If you think that the writing quality of this show has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention. The winter of lovely writing is coming.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I just now realized GRRMs master plan. He is going to delay the final 2 books to make his writing look god like next to that of the show.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Megasabin posted:

If you are actually criticizing the "realism" of scenes like Jorah in the fighting pit, and tyrion punching the slaver, please understand that your opinion is so hilariously worthless that you should probably never attempt to critique either the book or the show again.

I mean this is a universe where legendary figures routinely carve their way through unspeakable odds, and it's unthinkable that a Knights can't easily defeat a bunch of slaves in what was basically a series of brief 1 on 1 fights?

Accurate to the books or not, that poo poo is all super loving lame.

Jorah punching dudes out wasn't that unbelievable though. Him instantly turning beta however was loving obnoxious. He should have been screaming at Kelly for restarting slavery. Instead yet another character has to job for Tyrion.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Skizzzer posted:

for me it was unrealistic because he was wearing the exact same poo poo he's always been wearing and he was like 10 feet away from Dany who I guess didn't realize it was Jorah until he took his helmet off. you can recognize people you know from far greater distances than that, especially if you know them well. that being said, that part of the show I still like but the winterfell parts are terrible.

What gave you the idea that she didn't recognize him? My reading of her facial expression wasn't "who's this fucker?" but rather "goddammit, it's Jorah, isn't it? Please, tell me it's not Jor—GODDAMMIT JORAH WTF"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Its funny watching this thread get angry every week about plots/motivations because they are too impatient to see how it plays out in the next episode.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
This is the third season in a row with a finale named after motherhood in some way, by the way. I think they're just trolling us at this point.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

dik-dik posted:

What gave you the idea that she didn't recognize him? My reading of her facial expression wasn't "who's this fucker?" but rather "goddammit, it's Jorah, isn't it? Please, tell me it's not Jor—GODDAMMIT JORAH WTF"

From what I remember, her lips turned up into an almost-smile as if to say "ah here's an honorable fighter", before seeing it was Jorah when he took his helm off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Megasabin posted:

I might be misremembering, but fights in the book were a lot more realistic than in the series. I really dont remember people beating overwhelming superior numbers with ease in the books.

Take that fight with the Hound and Arya against those dudes in the tavern, we have that battle both in the books and in the show. In the books is only 2 and Clegane wins just because Arya interferes at the last moment, and he takes a very grave wound anyway. In the show they beat 5 or 6 dudes almost without sweating.

And even in the first seasons the battles were more plausible, they are getting more and more videogame-like lately.

• Locked thread