Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yep, that's pretty much it. I do occasionally choose individual albums to listen to but I listen to music so often choosing an album an hour is too annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also I like variety

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

cebrail posted:

Ah ok, then it's just just a difference in how we listen to music. I want to listen to something specific most of the time, and if I don't I prefer to listen to something I don't necessarily know, which tends to be an actual (online) radio station or Pandora because Spotifys radio function is so unbelievably horrible.

i typically use last.fm recommendations, spotify's curated playlists, or word of mouth from friends for finding new stuff because spotify's radio function is so worthless

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Is last.fm recommendation engine available in the spotify desktop app somehow or do you just got on their site and they link into spotify?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I only use Spotify's starred list because that's what they had first. Couldn't convert to Saved stuff since it crashes Spotify. Also I like to just shuffle it now and then or go through it and see if anyone has new stuff.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Half the time when i use the "save music"/personal library functionality it doesnt save, especially if i do it on my phone and then go to my computer or vice versa. So i gave up on that pretty much. Also they dont offer any worthwhile views. I had browsing a huge collage of album covers and prefer the traditional artist->album->song hierarchy. Is there a way to browse library that way in the desk app ?

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

thathonkey posted:

Is last.fm recommendation engine available in the spotify desktop app somehow or do you just got on their site and they link into spotify?

you can scrobble plays from spotify on last.fm if you add your last.fm account info in your spotify preferences. have to use last.fm's site to look at recommendations as far as i know

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

GTO posted:

I have all of 'my music' (previously the starred playlist) set to auto sync to my mobile devices. So the library is basically what you can listen to on the move.

I do pretty much the same thing. In practice it's kind of neat because that means that I can treat it like an iPod library and go through it by artist or album, but in practice 99% of the time I'll just hit the shuffle button at the top or scroll to a particular song. The only functionality I guess I'm missing out on might be recommendations, but I have a last.fm account that goes back to 2006 that I have Spotify scrobbling to so the recommendations are more comprehensive than anything just using my Spotify data.

e: The last.fm application/extension/whatever was pretty good when that was a thing, but of course as a useful feature, it got patched out a while ago.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I've often wondered what is stopping music services (i.e. Spotify, Play, Tidal) from integrating online streams of real radio stations (i.e. TuneIn). What would be even cooler than the integration alone would be if they also identified songs playing on radio that you could then Star/Tumbs-Up/otherwise add to your library. I realize there are probably legal issues around monetizing radio streams via a monthly subscription, but I would imagine there is a work-around. That is my dream online music service :sigh:.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Cithen posted:

I've often wondered what is stopping music services (i.e. Spotify, Play, Tidal) from integrating online streams of real radio stations (i.e. TuneIn). What would be even cooler than the integration alone would be if they also identified songs playing on radio that you could then Star/Tumbs-Up/otherwise add to your library. I realize there are probably legal issues around monetizing radio streams via a monthly subscription, but I would imagine there is a work-around. That is my dream online music service :sigh:.

That would be awesome and the technology is there but it would take a lot of wheeling and dealing to achieve on the practical/legal/human side of things. Maybe some day though

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
It would also be cool if Spotify would add tabbed browsing to their desktop app. It's basically just a web browser with a few controls wrapped around it on the bottom and left side so I suspect they could easily do it if they wanted. Sometimes I like to browse deep through their library while I listen. The back/forward paging controls are ok but tabs would be a huge improvement.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
http://live.theverge.com/live-spotify-new-york-media-event/
From what I can gather from this recap, Spotify will now have streaming video, podcasts, more dynamic Songza-style playlists, playlists of running music to match the tempo of your run, and more exclusive content.

iOS users (I am one, yay!) will get to try the cool neat stuff first; rollout starts today and goes through the next couple of weeks.

It'd be nice if they'd fix the goddamn UI first. Whatever.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

queertea posted:

http://live.theverge.com/live-spotify-new-york-media-event/
From what I can gather from this recap, Spotify will now have streaming video, podcasts, more dynamic Songza-style playlists, playlists of running music to match the tempo of your run, and more exclusive content.

iOS users (I am one, yay!) will get to try the cool neat stuff first; rollout starts today and goes through the next couple of weeks.

It'd be nice if they'd fix the goddamn UI first. Whatever.

Ugh. Like you said it would be cool if the UI were on point, but it's not. I don't care about streaming videos or podcasts, I have better programs for that. They need to loving focus.

:suicide: https://www.spotify.com/us/now/

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 20, 2015

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Honestly that sounds like a bunch of gimmicky bullshit i too wish they would work on core competencies of their app/ui first

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I tried out Spotify Running this afternoon and it was both fun and gimmicky. Pros: It tracks your steps per minute, turns that into BPM and gives you a custom track that's easy and fun to keep in time with. For the first ten minutes of my 20-minute run, it was cool listening to custom EDM, generic puffy indie stuff and some mock action movie soundtracks. Of course, the con is that I got bored of it after that 10 minutes and threw on my normal library instead. It's worth a try but hardly groundbreaking or, honestly, very impressive in the long run. They're obviously trying to diversify features to shut Tidal up, but I don't know if podcasts, videos and running apps are going to do a whole lot of good.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Google Play changed their layout and I think it got worse. They removed 5 star ratings. It's all thumbs now.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Google Play changed their layout and I think it got worse. They removed 5 star ratings. It's all thumbs now.

Great.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Do you really need five stars? I mean, how often do you think, 'I'd really like to listen to some 2* mediocre music right now'?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah 5 stars is pretty stupid i would always pick 1 or 5 and im sure google has researched this against their existing userbase before making the change unlike, say, spotify

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

GTO posted:

Do you really need five stars? I mean, how often do you think, 'I'd really like to listen to some 2* mediocre music right now'?

2* is for songs that are alright but really only listen to as part of an album. 1* is never ever again.

If Apple's new streaming service works with their smart playlist features and 5 stars, it would be great. You could have a 5* playlist with all your favorite songs, and a 4-5* when you want a little more variety but something you still like.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

thathonkey posted:

Yeah 5 stars is pretty stupid i would always pick 1 or 5 and im sure google has researched this against their existing userbase before making the change unlike, say, spotify

I know it's fun to bash on Spotify and I've done it in this very thread, but they obviously A/B test their poo poo extensively as well: http://www.infoq.com/presentations/ab-testing-spotify

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

2* is for songs that are alright but really only listen to as part of an album. 1* is never ever again.

If Apple's new streaming service works with their smart playlist features and 5 stars, it would be great. You could have a 5* playlist with all your favorite songs, and a 4-5* when you want a little more variety but something you still like.

With the thumb system you get three choices though. Thumb down is bad, nothing is average, thumb up is good. It doesn't force you to up or down it.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Red_Fred posted:

With the thumb system you get three choices though. Thumb down is bad, nothing is average, thumb up is good. It doesn't force you to up or down it.

That's not really intuitive though. And how do you differentiate between "average" and "not rated yet"?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DominoDancing posted:

how do you differentiate between "average" and "not rated yet"?

:psyboom:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

thathonkey posted:

Only using one or 5 is pretty stupid:

1 - songs I don't like (delete, uncheck or avoid). Less important for a streaming service, but maybe helpful for recommendations.

2 - songs that don't stand on their own, but contribute to an album (interludes, b-sides). Less important for streaming, but still useful if you like to separate your "singles" from your albums in your collection.

3 - songs that I like (usually songs that I've just discovered). If I get sick of them, they become 2 stars. Songs that I like to stumble across, but don't want to hear too often. In iTunes, these are songs that get shuffled out if they've been played too recently.

4 - songs that I really like/want to hear frequently. Usually a song that's stayed fresh after repeated listens. Contenders for song of the year.

5 - all time favorites/desert island songs. I have maybe 40-50 at any time.

The line between 4 and 5 is personal and arbitrary, but I definitely see a difference between songs that I like to hear once in a while or a new song that's caught my interest (3) and songs that I actively want to hear repeatedly over time (4+). A straight thumbs up or down means that you're buried in a bunch of songs that you like "well enough," which for me leads to a lot of skipping based on my mood and general fatigue with my library.

quote:

This is my sincere hope.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 21, 2015

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

DominoDancing posted:

I know it's fun to bash on Spotify and I've done it in this very thread, but they obviously A/B test their poo poo extensively as well: http://www.infoq.com/presentations/ab-testing-spotify

I use spotify; it's fine and I generally like it. I'm glad they use A/B testing but the fact of the matter is they still consistently gently caress up new features and remove useful existing features for seemingly no reason.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Reading this thread makes me glad that 90% of the music I listen to is stuff I haven't heard before, so I don't care much about rating stuff beyond starring occasional songs.

The downside is that I've got two maxed playlists of new stuff which translates to about two months of non-stop music #firstworldproblems

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Cithen posted:

Given Google's penchant for buying everything up I'm really surprised they've not done this yet so I'm presuming there's a legal reason for it. I really like Play's 'radio' feature based on time of day/mood etc but it seems to tap out at about 20 songs.

And in other news, I'm genuinely considering giving Tidal a go.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I just started a free trial with Tidal and I am really enjoying it. It seems a lot easier to discover new music with their service than Play.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Cithen posted:

I just started a free trial with Tidal and I am really enjoying it. It seems a lot easier to discover new music with their service than Play.

Still no 1989! What a shame. All the stuff I like is there though aside from that. Now it's throwing a wrench in my plans to finally go premium.

EDIT: I think the most exciting thing is that it's still :10bux: CAD. So no need to pay the exchange rate for our flailing dollar.

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 25, 2015

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Search functionality, which should have never been removed in the first place, will be back in the next version of the client. Some people have it already.
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-Windows/Feedback-Needed-Filtering-your-Playlists/td-p/1135956

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

queertea posted:

Search functionality, which should have never been removed in the first place, will be back in the next version of the client. Some people have it already.
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-Windows/Feedback-Needed-Filtering-your-Playlists/td-p/1135956

Thank gently caress. This basically rendered the desktop version of Spotify useless for me. I tend to make huge playlists / save a lot of songs and then ctrl+f to filter to the stuff I want to listen to at the moment.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
the new update fixes large playlists taking 45+ seconds to load and re-added filtering playlists with ctrl+f

yayyyyyy

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

What am I waiting for? My local files probably. They're not showing up at all

edit: table breakage sorry

Only registered members can see post attachments!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Welcome to the awesome experience of trying to use local files in spotify

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is Play All Access better at local files?

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away

Red_Fred posted:

Is Play All Access better at local files?
So much better it's not even funny.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

thathonkey posted:

Welcome to the awesome experience of trying to use local files in spotify

i've used spotify for like 5 years and this is the worst it has ever been...honestly it used to be a pretty great general music program, very quick and smooth and with a massive music library on top of that

it's poo poo now but as long as my 5€ a month unlimited subscription is still running and knowing pretty much everyone i know uses it and spotify's music library is still fairly decent, i'm not looking for any alternatives and will continue hate-using it :geno:

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
I finally subscribed to premium the other day. I have a couple gripes with it that almost drove me to Google All Access, until I decided Spotify's collection was more comprehensive.

In the Android up, clicking Show All Albums doesn't show all albums. This is really annoying if you want to just discover a new artist and don't know their discography.

My other gripe is that you can't reorder playlists. What the actual gently caress? Can I at least do this if I get the PC client? There's a thread on the Spotify forums of people who have been asking for this feature since early 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

EvilGenius posted:

My other gripe is that you can't reorder playlists. What the actual gently caress? Can I at least do this if I get the PC client? There's a thread on the Spotify forums of people who have been asking for this feature since early 2014.

On the OSX client you can so i assume so but it is annoying as hell that the ordering you choose there doesnt even save so on my phone all my playlists are in a different order than on my laptop

• Locked thread