Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you unlock the perk under lawyer, you can assign 24 hr lockdown and solitary on the character's screen under punishment. I've never seen one released because they always end up dead, but I assume they would eventually be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Baloogan posted:

Armed Guards. At the end of the day legendaries are still flesh and blood. There isn't an 'immune to bullets' prisoner trait (yet).
There isn't immune to judo chop trait for armed guards either.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

DeepQantas posted:

Ho ho ho, now I have a shotgun.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

DeepQantas posted:

Plus, expert fighter tends to redirect said bullets back into your guards. Let me tell you about the time the Legendary Chuck Norris swiped a shotgun from a guard, and staged a daring rescue of a serial fruitcake murderer who was on the chair and seconds from death.

I have since learned that Legendaries need a few more guards than I had to contain, and that executions are best performed at night.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BurntCornMuffin posted:

executions are best performed at night.

I'm pretty sure they do this in real life, as well.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's time for the next update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI0ICaHBJ-A

There's now "privileges" and "cell quality" systems so that well-behaving prisoners can get moved over to the nicer cells, then kicked back to their 2x3 if they arse it up. There's also a new item (radio), a new room that prisoners can work in (mail room), and tweaks to fire.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
The cell quality stuff is cool, the game now supports the whole range from US-style labour camps to Scandinavian crim hotels.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Not really, because you can't put prisoners in good cells just because. They have to "earn" it. Which makes me feel like you're going to end up with a de facto caste system - prisoners in good cells will keep being good because they like their cells and stay there, while prisoners in bad cells will act up because they are in bad cells, forcing them to stay in bad cells forever.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I really want a mod that allows you to hire inmates for a peacekeeper kind of role, like the ex law, fighters, tough etc, maybe some new traits that helps suppress riots naturally.

Like say to get qualified for it they should be in a good standing(say no weapon or drugs smuggled in for X amount of time, not being in fights, etc) and they'd help keep the populace suppressed, of course this'd put a decent target on their back though.

Speaking of which, I'd love positive suppression, like if you're in good standing you're allowed to legally order smokes, a bit of alcohol, etc.

Or hell, go in the other direction and go full corrupt to crime bosses :v: like a "donation" contract that requires you to place a certain prisoner in a specific type of cell(say a 5x5 cell with a couch, tv, etc)

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 28, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I will reserve judgment on it until I see that it can actually affect inmate behavior. I currently run with no solitary rules at all unless I'm looking to recruit a CI or two, because in the game's current incarnation punishments don't really matter. Lockdown works well with nice cells since an inmate can poo poo, shower, lift weights, and generally cool off from an incident, but that's really more of a side effect than the punishment having a real effect.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jamsque posted:

The cell quality stuff is cool, the game now supports the whole range from US-style labour camps to Scandinavian crim hotels.

Still can't have Tent City though. Where you feed the prisoners swill and let them top up their hunger need at vending machines. I wonder if they are ever going to implement a store?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

KillHour posted:

Not really, because you can't put prisoners in good cells just because. They have to "earn" it. Which makes me feel like you're going to end up with a de facto caste system - prisoners in good cells will keep being good because they like their cells and stay there, while prisoners in bad cells will act up because they are in bad cells, forcing them to stay in bad cells forever.

I think it'll be fine. The game needs a reason for you not to simply make a Swedish Holiday Camp and never have any trouble and this seems like a reasonable way of doing it. It also has interesting implications for prison design - the better behaved prisoners will gravitate towards the nice part of the prison and the violent ones to the harsher security bit. What you do to stop them acting up is keep them suppressed.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

KillHour posted:

Not really, because you can't put prisoners in good cells just because.

That wasn't what I took from the video. If the average cell quality in your prison is high then you absolutely will give prisoners good cells 'just because' since new intake get average cells.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jamsque posted:

That wasn't what I took from the video. If the average cell quality in your prison is high then you absolutely will give prisoners good cells 'just because' since new intake get average cells.

For 3 days. Then they have to earn them. What if they're in a 10 cell? They won't be eligible after the 3 days are up.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

KillHour posted:

For 3 days. Then they have to earn them. What if they're in a 10 cell? They won't be eligible after the 3 days are up.

If they start in a 10 then either your prison has an average cell quality of 10, in which case there is nowhere for them to go down to, or the 10 was the only available cell so they will get swapped down to an 'average' cell and replaced with a high-privilege prisoner. Both of those seem fine to me.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

No, they explicitly said they would be thrown in a holding cell if there was nothing low enough.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Thinking about max sec doomprisons and how guard towers aren't really possible, couldn't they make like, gun ports that guards can shoot through?

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

Alchenar posted:

It also has interesting implications for prison design - the better behaved prisoners will gravitate towards the nice part of the prison and the violent ones to the harsher security bit. What you do to stop them acting up is keep them suppressed.

Yeah, this really does change everything about prison design. You can dedicate less guard resources in the well-behaved area of your prison. Then have the troublemakers under constant suppression. If the trouble makers get out of their hell-hole, then they can finally start their rehabilitation unsuppressed. You could segregate it so the lowlifes wouldn't be able to attend classes or whatever. I'd have to completely re-think my prison layout to do it.

Does this mean we can no longer assign prisoners to cells like we used to? I would make pretty luxury cells for the legendary prisoners that I enacted the permanent lockdown on. Then I would assign them to the luxe cells with their own personal yard, etc to let them live out their sentence. It seems like now they would be reassigned once they pop off and destroy their cell. Maybe permanent lockdown disregards the new system?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Security class is still a thing, so you can make the luxury cells zoned for supermax or max or whatever to do your permanent lockdown thing with, though you may have to zone your holding cell for something else in case your guards try to put them there.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ModestMuse posted:

Yeah, this really does change everything about prison design. You can dedicate less guard resources in the well-behaved area of your prison. Then have the troublemakers under constant suppression. If the trouble makers get out of their hell-hole, then they can finally start their rehabilitation unsuppressed. You could segregate it so the lowlifes wouldn't be able to attend classes or whatever. I'd have to completely re-think my prison layout to do it.

Does this mean we can no longer assign prisoners to cells like we used to? I would make pretty luxury cells for the legendary prisoners that I enacted the permanent lockdown on. Then I would assign them to the luxe cells with their own personal yard, etc to let them live out their sentence. It seems like now they would be reassigned once they pop off and destroy their cell. Maybe permanent lockdown disregards the new system?

I haven't tried it but I'm assuming you can still manually assign prisoners to cells like before - it's just that they might get moved out again if they're in a cell that's way under or over what they should be in, and someone else pops up they can swap with.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Security class is still a thing, so you can make the luxury cells zoned for supermax or max or whatever to do your permanent lockdown thing with, though you may have to zone your holding cell for something else in case your guards try to put them there.

There's also this. Security class will always trump cell quality for where your prisoners end up going. If you want your supermax all in luxury cells then you just make ALL the supermax cells luxury and they'll get put in there because there's nowhere else to go.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I had a Legendary Prisoner on permanent lockdown in SuperMax beat an armed guard to death and steal his shotgun. He then managed to escape the cell block and get to the chapel, and shot the spiritual guide. I order my guys to go weapons free at this point, because what the gently caress are they waiting for? Then, an armed guard on his way to take over the patrol of the dead armed guard walks right by without stopping while the prisoner shoots a regular guard in the face. I get a couple of armed guards in place, and few more people end up critically injured before they manage to KO the prisoner. He managed to survive a few shotgun blasts and tasers.

I've upgraded his punishment to permanent solitary, hopefully this will contain him.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guy Axlerod posted:

I had a Legendary Prisoner on permanent lockdown in SuperMax beat an armed guard to death and steal his shotgun. He then managed to escape the cell block and get to the chapel, and shot the spiritual guide. I order my guys to go weapons free at this point, because what the gently caress are they waiting for? Then, an armed guard on his way to take over the patrol of the dead armed guard walks right by without stopping while the prisoner shoots a regular guard in the face. I get a couple of armed guards in place, and few more people end up critically injured before they manage to KO the prisoner. He managed to survive a few shotgun blasts and tasers.

I've upgraded his punishment to permanent solitary, hopefully this will contain him.

Clearly you need to set up some kind of "Thunderdome" area for prisoners like this. No guards, no staff, no civilians. Just a big holding cell with all the most dangerous prisoners and a single security camera to broadcast the footage.

an angry penguin
Oct 12, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

I have a prisoner like this in my current prison. He's managed to take out about 5 or 6 guards over the course of his stay so far, including 2 armed guards. He's now in permanent solitary with an armed guard patrolling outside his cell 24/7, and he still regularly kicks off whenever he feels like it. He has a sentence length of 139 years, and funnily enough I don't see him being granted parole.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
So I just watched the A33 video and it seems at 300+ prisoners, they have zero slowdown.

At which level would you guys start having slowdown? Mine starts around 200 and becomes unplayable nearer 300 prisoners.

Is there anything I can get buttery smooth gameplay at 300-400 prisoners?

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
I figure the proper way to handle supermax is to have wide corridors and armed guards on the far side of it (maximize reaction time). Make them patrol outside the actual designated canteen area too so they don't mingle.

Haven't tested this yet tho.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

jerichojx posted:

So I just watched the A33 video and it seems at 300+ prisoners, they have zero slowdown.

At which level would you guys start having slowdown? Mine starts around 200 and becomes unplayable nearer 300 prisoners.

Better CPU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The cell quality stuff seems to be a huge nerf to the luxury cell strategy for never having any problems ever, balanced out by the inclusion of reoffending chance in prisoner behavior.

So far I really like it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Hmm, my legendary prisoner single punched a solitary door, withstood a shotgun blast to the face, killed another armed guard and stole his shotgun. He then fired repeatedly at the nearest prisoner. However, there were about 5 walls between him and his victim. A dog managed to maul him.

I have about 5 armed guards stationed there now, he keeps breaking out of his cell and surviving shotgun blasts.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Not all shotgun blasts are aimed to kill, armed guards will fire around the prisoner as a warning to try and get them to surrender.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Basically if you have one of those dickheads in your prison, you should have free fire on eternally.

People don't get second chances when there's a loving super villain on site.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

jerichojx posted:

Mine runs well into 300+ prisoners with a fairly beefy CPU - something I have noticed is the game does still experience slowdown over time if you have a long play session. If you find it's starting to get sluggish, it can help to just save and quit. It should be running faster when you load it back up again.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
So the mail room is for incoming prisoner mail?

Does it satisfy family need?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Guy Axlerod posted:

Hmm, my legendary prisoner single punched a solitary door, withstood a shotgun blast to the face, killed another armed guard and stole his shotgun. He then fired repeatedly at the nearest prisoner. However, there were about 5 walls between him and his victim. A dog managed to maul him.

I have about 5 armed guards stationed there now, he keeps breaking out of his cell and surviving shotgun blasts.

It's time to go Dwarf Fortress on his rear end. Build a wall in front of his cell door. Even the mightiest prisoner can't punch through walls.

Alternately, something something lava.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Can you go all Cask of Amontillado on prisoners?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
The execution process is really cool.

In other news my mail room is slowly being filled with empty mail satchels.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah apparently mail is broken atm and its not recommended you build oneyet.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

KillHour posted:

No, they explicitly said they would be thrown in a holding cell if there was nothing low enough.
I did a quick test. New prison, eight cells, eight prisoners. I gave all cells as many amenities as I could think of and got them all to quality 8.

After about a week, none of their "deserved" scores had dropped below 8, even with all three solitary cells filled almost constantly due to weapons, drugs, and forks.

So then I build a holding cell, gave it six beds, and let it run for another few days. Once I did that, prisoners' deserved room scores started dropping to zero every time they got punished, but none of them were ever moved to the holding cell.

Finally, I dismantled all the stuff in half the rooms, dropping them to 5 ("below average"). Prisoners with lower scores got sent there, leaving the quality 8 rooms free.

It seems that as long as you have any sort of normal cell, prisoners will be sent to the lowest-quality ones that match their rating first. They don't get sent to a holding cell if there are empty cells, even if they don't meet the rating requirement.

Also, while I was testing, it seemed like something about punishments is broken. I kept seeing prisoners standing around cuffed with no active tasks.

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 30, 2015

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I hadn't played for a few versions, it's become a lot easier to start from a small prison and expand out into a sprawling 200+ prisoner monster with enormous income.

I assume libraries are broken too? Once all the bookshelves are full the room just fills with boxes of unsorted books.

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'
I started off using a massive holding cell ( 100 x 40 ). I got to about 200 prisoners ( even split between min/med/max security cons ) before there was a fight popping off every few seconds.

I still have 2 large holding cell blocks, as I've built about 460 cells, but have 600-700 prisoners atm. One is minimum sec only, the other is med/max/supermax. Thank god for tazers; whats the point of armed guards, if every regular officer has a tazer equipped...:whip:

Do prisoners just die from natural causes or not getting to the infirmary sometimes? I have a few "deaths" that give me the big red popup in the bottom right; except in the top left I will have 20-60 dead prisoners waiting to be put on the hearse.

Shade2142 fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Shade2142 posted:

Thank god for tazers; whats the point of armed guards, if every regular officer has a tazer equipped...:whip:

Tazers aren't enough when you have to blam someone :commissar:

Also is it just me or have the kitchens gone a bit daft this update? spending most of their time sorting poo poo in the freezers over and over instead of making food, not making food ahead of time anymore, etc?

• Locked thread