Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ChocNitty posted:

I'm still early in the game, and I watched this video on youtube that talks about why you should play the game on easy, because the combat system is flawed, and on easy you can experience more of the better aspects of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75lZYTDK_sE

Agree, or disagree?

The combat is flawed because after you get to level 10 or so everything becomes completely trivial. Watching the footage of him play undermines everything he says because i'm pretty confident i could beat that camp at even level using nothing but the dodge button and fast sword attack without taking a hit. The only thing i agree with is it's stupid that you can get stuck in or out of combat without a way to switch between the two modes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Broken Cog posted:

The book that says the daughters (the crones?) imprisoned their mother out of the goodness of their hearts and their love for the people of Velen? For some reason I don't trust that book a hundred percent.

Seeing the crones for the first times was like "urrrrr what did i do...?"

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Begemot posted:

Yeah, there are a few merchants that carry one, but they restock and the master alchemist carries 5, so it's not even limited. They're just a little expensive, 1000 crowns each.

How often do they re-stock?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Andrast posted:

Does anyone know if the first Igni talent that reduces enemy armor works on everything or just humans enemies that have actual armor?

It would be awesome if they made this clear.

There are a lot of weird vagaries like that. Two alchemy skills refer to overdose threshold and maximum toxicity, which seem like they might be the same thing.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Is the quest XP still bugged? Am holding on continuing playing because of that.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

CJ posted:

The combat is flawed because after you get to level 10 or so everything becomes completely trivial. Watching the footage of him play undermines everything he says because i'm pretty confident i could beat that camp at even level using nothing but the dodge button and fast sword attack without taking a hit. The only thing i agree with is it's stupid that you can get stuck in or out of combat without a way to switch between the two modes

Eh it has other flaws:

Enemies being able to stunlock you with no way to get out of it.
Still kinda hard to get Geralt to attack the guy you want, which when keeping mobile in a fight is key and you can get parry countered if you attack the wrong guy is annoying
Pretty much everything to do with wraiths.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

GrossMurpel posted:

Has anyone found out whether Melt Armor for Igni ever does anything?

Obvious question first: do you have it slotted?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It would be awesome if they made this clear.

There are a lot of weird vagaries like that. Two alchemy skills refer to overdose threshold and maximum toxicity, which seem like they might be the same thing.

I think they're different - one is the point where you start taking damage and your health bar turns yellow as far as I know. I haven't explored the alchemy tree really, the potion interface is too bad for me to want to bother, and it's a tree that screams "respec into me" anyway.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Andrast posted:

Does anyone know if the first Igni talent that reduces enemy armor works on everything or just humans enemies that have actual armor?

Didn't notice this post before I asked; To me it seems like melt armor never does anything, even while fighting against guys in full plate
Neither sword attacks nor subsequent sign attacks seem to do more damage after you use Igni on them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stormgale posted:

Eh it has other flaws:

Still kinda hard to get Geralt to attack the guy you want, which when keeping mobile in a fight is key and you can get parry countered if you attack the wrong guy is annoying

I actually like wraiths, at least in theory. An enemy who needs extra planning and more careful control over the environment to fight is interesting. I think they need a bit more polish but I think the core idea is really good. I'd be nice if there were more options for how to ground or damage them I think.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

ImpAtom posted:

So? At what point does "The Baron realized he was a shithead" at all equal to this being a defensible ending. It doesn't even matter if he changes. He got his wife back when she left him and she didn't get a say in it. The fact tha the Baron was "the only one who could do anything' doesn't change that. He is an abuser who is given full control over the woman he abused.

It isn't about getting a second chance. It isn't about it being the only option. It is about it being an outcome where you force an abused wife to go back to her husband because nobody else will care for her. That is terrifyingly awful. It may be the only option as presented but that doesn't make it defensible. It makes it horrific.

That doesn't make it bad writing either! It's okay for an ending to be horrifying and depressing and all that. However it isn't bittersweet, it isn't positive, it isn't anything but awful. Which is appropriate for The Witcher and it isn't the only story like that in the game.

(Family Matters)

I'd argue that it's positive not because of the awfulness that you're hinging your argument on, but the fact that it's the only future in which Anna even might have a chance of doing something other than feeding worms. No, we don't know what will happen in the future, and yes, the situation you're forcing her into is horrible, but it's the only one with the slightest glimmer of hope (which, admittedly, isn't much).

Also, I let them all die because a handful of children get to instead live, but knowing the world they all probably become lovely monstrous assholes like almost everyone else so it's not like that's a "good" ending either.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I actually like wraiths, at least in theory. An enemy who needs extra planning and more careful control over the environment to fight is interesting. I think they need a bit more polish but I think the core idea is really good. I'd be nice if there were more options for how to ground or damage them I think.

The grounding mechanic with yrden isn't great when your and enemies attacks always move the enemies.
My main problem with wraiths is when paired with stunlocking a pack of them is the deadliest enemy in the game entirely for 3 synchronized teleports and slash attacks, which are hard to dodge and then stunlock you with the full combo.

Wild dogs are similarly annoying at lower levels as they have quick movements and leaping attacks that stack up back to back

Like if yrden lasted a lot longer and you could seed an area with them, lure them into the trap and go hog wild that'd be amazing, or traps like in W2 but they are basically swordable enemies that are really annoying and a slog to fight especially in large numbers.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Stormgale posted:

Eh it has other flaws:

There are other flaws but they aren't related to his argument. And what's wrong with wraiths? They're like the only basic enemy type that requires more strategy than dodge to the side as they lunge at you then hit them in the back. (You wait until they blink next to you then dodge to the side and hit them in the back)

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

CJ posted:

I would agree only because combat is really not very deep and I don't think anyone should really walk into the game expecting a really cool combat system. I never used much oil in this game because 10% damage vs whatever I was fighting in the early game was meh and late game I just couldn't spare the effort even for more % since you chew through everything pretty easy. The only times I died were against bosses, mostly the Ciri bosses, or if I took on too many enemies in a tight space and those enemies were higher level so my signs wouldn't work on them. It was pretty rare. This was my experience playing on normal. In the first game, you literally couldn't damage wraiths unless you used oil and potions were your only method of regen so they were vitally important. Late game I was still eating food in combat and never really needed to actually go hunt for the stuff I needed to make better potions because the combat system never really forced me to do so, nor would it on higher levels because it's not designed in such a way that those tactics become necessary. So yeah, sure just play the game on easy and don't sweat it. Unless you're one of those "must have every loving achievement under the sun so I can brag to my buddies types" don't worry about difficulty.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
"Flaws" doesn't just mean "Things I don't really like or am bad at dealing with."

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

CJ posted:

There are other flaws but they aren't related to his argument. And what's wrong with wraiths? They're like the only basic enemy type that requires more strategy than dodge to the side as they lunge at you then hit them in the back. (You wait until they blink next to you then dodge to the side and hit them in the back)

See my previous quote but in packs they basically stack up and get annoying... and your main method of dealing with any big wraiths is the following combo:

Yrden, slash 2-3 times, backpedal, pause, repeat. it's not interesting or fun like fighting a golem or a griffon.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

VDay posted:

"Flaws" doesn't just mean "Things I don't really like or am bad at dealing with."

Well, other than actual game bugs, it sorta does mean this since we are talking about a video game. It is also entirely subjective though.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Stormgale posted:

Eh it has other flaws:

Targeting works a lot better with lock-on and a gamepad. I didn't realize it before but I was moving the right stick out of habit trying to rotate the camera and the game (correctly) interpreted the command as "change target". Obviously this makes for some bigger issues using KB/M because you basically never stop adjusting the camera so lock-on doesn't even really work at all.

Wraiths are still bullshit though. The talent that slows down time during counter-attacks works wonders.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

VDay posted:

While I agree with your sentiment, I think most people would call the terrible inventory management a flaw in the game, perhaps along side the numerous torches and lights that scatter the world for no reason to annoy you when you're trying to loot the box they're on. And those are two things that people "don't like" while functioning exactly as they should within the code of the game.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
How are people eating food or re-applying oils in combat? When I try to use an oil from inventory in combat it says "cannot do this during combat", same with food whether it's hotkeyed to the D-Pad on my controller or I try to use it out of my inventory.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Also a more personal niggle but the fact the game disincentives playing like a Witcher and trying to broadly expand your skill tree is a bummer, i'm playing like that and doing fine but I knew it'd be alot stronger if I just focused on one skill set.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Stormgale posted:

Wild dogs are similarly annoying at lower levels as they have quick movements and leaping attacks that stack up back to back

Really good tactic for dogs/wolves and Death March in general is fighting enemies like this with a crossbow/on horseback to thin out their numbers.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Woozy posted:

Really good tactic for dogs/wolves and Death March in general is fighting enemies like this with a crossbow/on horseback to thin out their numbers.

Wolves cant break a sword block so just waiting with a block and then igni repeated is pretty effective too just boring.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

He's wrong.

His complaint basically boils down to "there are two acceptable combat systems and it's not one of those so it's bad and don't play it." He complains that he can't predict what attack animation Geralt is going to do, but if you pay attention the attack animation depends on distance to the enemy. If you attack a close enemy Geralt will whack at it, if you attack a far enemy Geralt will try to close the distance with a big swooshy leaping twirling attack. I can see the complaint if you're constantly targeting the wrong enemy and then doing big splashy attacks and getting hit, but you can cancel out if you make a mistake. While the Witcher 3 combat isn't perfect it is pretty good. The biggest problem is the soft lock-on tends to target the wrong person after you sidestep. If you plan to bait an enemy and then sidestep him it's best to lock onto him so you don't accidentally charge his buddies behind him.

Combat in the Witcher 3 is just plain faster than Dark Souls and I think that's where a lot of the Dark Souls players are getting tripped up as well. You have more items attacks and spells, fights have more enemies, Geralt is much more mobile than even the fastest Dark Souls PC and some enemies are nearly as fast as Geralt. I can see players who are used to a more deliberate pace and being good at that pace getting frustrated when the game demands they do more, faster, with less fine-grained control.

Medium should be fine if you're worried about combat difficulty. Honestly Blood & Broken Bones is starting to feel pretty easy for me at level 15. I've finished some group fights (the kind he's complaining about) without taking a hit. I can't imagine playing this on easy for 40 or 80 hours. The comments on this video are actually not insane and you can see him admitting he flat out doesn't know some elements of the combat system in the comments.

Watching his example video: he's really bad. He gets surrounded, gets knocked back out of the group, and trudges right back into being surrounded again. He holds down block when nobody's attacking him and creeps around while the NPCs surround him and start swinging. He could literally be dancing circles around these guys but he's hiding behind his block. He misses easily a dozen chances to counterstrike if only he would sidestep instead of blocking heavy blows. He's playing really badly and then blaming the game. He doesn't appear to be aware of the dodge button even.

"Geralt isn't as nimble on his feet as he should be." :laffo: Yeah this guy has no idea how to play, a lot of people complain that the combat is too mobile.

I think it's funny so many players are complaining it's not like Bloodborne and you have to dodge and roll too much when if you watch combat in Dark Souls or Bloodborne 90% of it is dodging and rolling trying to get behind your opponent.

Thanks for the thorough reply. I think i'll leave it on the harder setting and see how it goes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

How are people eating food or re-applying oils in combat? When I try to use an oil from inventory in combat it says "cannot do this during combat", same with food whether it's hotkeyed to the D-Pad on my controller or I try to use it out of my inventory.

You have to apply oil before combat.

For most fights you know what is coming. (Enemies very rarely appear in varied groups.) For the Witcher Contracts you're pretty much told what is coming before the fight.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

ImpAtom posted:

You have to apply oil before combat.

For most fights you know what is coming. (Enemies very rarely appear in varied groups.) For the Witcher Contracts you're pretty much told what is coming before the fight.

You can do it in combat too by opening inventory and drag&droping the oil to the sword

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pyromancer posted:

You can do it in combat too by opening inventory and drag&droping the oil to the sword

It doesn't work for me. Many people seem to have inconsistency with it and based off the instructions you're not supposed to be able to do that. It's a glitch that you can.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Pyromancer posted:

That feels like an oversight to me. I don't think that's working as intended.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Stormgale posted:

Also a more personal niggle but the fact the game disincentives playing like a Witcher and trying to broadly expand your skill tree is a bummer, i'm playing like that and doing fine but I knew it'd be alot stronger if I just focused on one skill set.

I dunno, I'm playing on the second-to-hardest difficulty and even with a complete dilletante spec (level 16, one "quadrant" each filled with red, blue, and green talents), Geralt still feels really drat powerful. I can pretty much just breeze through regular equal-level encounters like bandits or such, and even significantly higher-leveled big monsters and groups are decidedly doable if I'm a bit careful.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Perestroika posted:

I dunno, I'm playing on the second-to-hardest difficulty and even with a complete dilletante spec (level 16, one "quadrant" each filled with red, blue, and green talents), Geralt still feels really drat powerful. I can pretty much just breeze through regular equal-level encounters like bandits or such, and even significantly higher-leveled big monsters and groups are decidedly doable if I'm a bit careful.

But conversely if you were level 16 in one tree you could murder an entire pack of enemies with igni. That and going dilettante especially later on leaves so many talents wasted (simply due to space).

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Woozy posted:

I second this; playing on Death March I RoachStorm (tm) through bandit camps, monster nests, and hostile towns. It is really satisfying to line two or more enemies up, slow down time for a second, and slice them both in half with one great swing. I then try to make it even by getting off the horse and taking on the lone survivor one on one. loving annoying nekkers must love the taste of hoof.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

As someone playing on a pad I cannot do that. Probably a oversight.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
FYI Armor piercing is a stat that exclusively appears on Steel weapons according to the guide so I'm guessing monsters don't actually benefit from it.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

ChocNitty posted:

Thanks for the thorough reply. I think i'll leave it on the harder setting and see how it goes.

Personally, I think the game is braindead easy even on the hardest setting and the added challenge is more of slight annoyances. I would agree with the video more if his argument was "it doesn't matter which difficulty you select." I would also bother to watch the rest of the video if he didn't start with a DS comparison off the bat. There is almost nothing remotely similar between this game and DS to me, they're practically polar opposites in everything they are out to accomplish. Dragon Age or GTA would be better comparison but not by that much.

In this game I felt some semblance of challenge playing this game on hardest and fighting level 25s as a level 12, but even that seemed pretty reasonable and only specific enemies required retries (or just simply had too much health for me to be bothered with.)

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 28, 2015

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Wachepti posted:

I chose Yen the first time through and I'm really looking forward to seeing what the Triss path looks like. I felt like a jerk letting her go on the ship with the other mages and then having Dijkstra giving me poo poo about it.

That was one of my favorite scenes. Except if you get Triss to stay you have a little bro moment with Djikstra. It's really well done, and he is one of my favorite characters in the game.

Also, going to echo the sentiment that the facial expressions are so well done in this game. Like the sly looks and subtle eyebrow raises and furrowed brows and curled lips...so loving good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Perestroika posted:

I think that is because Geralt is absurdly powerful by default.

Like you could go through the game without leveling up any abilities and it would still let you be crazy powerful. So anything that adds to it is icing on the cake.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 28, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

I think that is because Geralt is absurdly powerful by default.

Like you could go through the game without leveling up any abilities and it would still let you be crazy powerful. So anything that odds to it is icing on the cake.

Yeah, combat is only difficult if you don't understand the tools at your disposal. Yrden is great if you're fighting a big dude like a golem or wyvern (or anything incoporal) because it slows them to a crawl. Igni is great CC. Axii is too, except with humans which it lets you instantly murder with a high chance. Quen lets you make mistakes in combat and figure out what an enemy can do.

That doesn't even count bombs, decoctions, etc. I have a decoction that heals me when I deal damage. You have counters to nearly everything the game throws at you from the outset. Geralt is hilariously powerful.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It sucks that the troll decoction seems really good, because I don't want to murder any trolls for their mutagen.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm considering respeccing from a Signs build to an Alchemy build (as soon as I get to Kaer Morhen because I sent Keira there and I'm pretty sure she's the only one I can buy respec potions from), but I'm not entirely sure yet.

On the one hand, I'm not a big fan of what the Griffin gear looks like, and that's by far the best equipment I know of for a Signs build. With Alchemy, I could maybe go Cat School for high damage and crits and rely on my decoctions and potions to make up for my fragility, or Bear School and just be a massive wall of (really agile) armor. I'm not sure how expensive it would be to keep stocked up on strong alcohol, though, whereas with a Signs build, I can pretty much spam all day long thanks to that crazy Griffin School Stamina regen, and upgraded Igni is absurdly good.

Obviously on the second-hardest difficulty, anything will get you through the game no problem, but I'm wondering what people are having the most fun with.

EDIT: Also, I know I can turn down the difficulty. Can I turn it up as well? Now that I outlevel all the available story quests thanks to sidequests I think I might turn it up to Death March so that I'm not so thoroughly steamrolling everything anymore. (I'd test myself but I'm at work.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I find the most fun things to do is swap my build every level. That helps keep things fresh and the time between levels is long enough I'm not doing it constantly. Plus it means I'm not getting into TOO much of a rut on the same combat tactics.