Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

blue footed boobie posted:

I'm very glad that all of these legal experts in this thread have decided that everyone in FIFA Sepp Blatter will all go to jail forever and/or not go to jail at all.

Lets accept that nobody on this site went to a decent law school and the best and brightest of them are working doc review at best so we are all on a level playing field and can speculate away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

euroboy posted:

The Brazilian FAs president has apparently escaped from Zurich

Escaping the premises smugly he said "this canary will not sing".

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
There are not many people in the world that look as reptilian as Havelange. :tinfoil:

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

African AIDS cum posted:

Lets accept that nobody on this site went to a decent law school and the best and brightest of them are working doc review at best so we are all on a level playing field and can speculate away

Blatter is poor and will have to get an overworked public defender who'll be in over his/her head. The dude is DOOMED.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Honj Steak posted:

There are not many people in the world that look as reptilian as Havelange. :tinfoil:

That guy in the background looks like Putin with a combover.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Kurtofan posted:

That guy in the background looks like Putin with a combover.

nah it looks like pardew

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

advanced statsman posted:

nah it looks like pardew

the plot thickens...

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
how many nepalese wives did pardew get

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

euroboy posted:

A winter world cup in snowy norway perhaps? hmmm yes

Football in the snow is the best.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Brony Car posted:

Blatter is poor and will have to get an overworked public defender who'll be in over his/her head. The dude is DOOMED.

Yeah... about that.

Scott Rothstein had over $1.2b to fund his defense and cooperated fully with the DOJ along with his own private law firm.

wiki posted:

His firm had 70 lawyers and 150 employees, with offices in Boca Raton, West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Tallahassee, Florida, New York and Caracas, Venezuela. The firm focused on labor and employment matters, civil rights, intellectual property, internet law, corporate espionage, personal injury, wrongful death, commercial litigation, real estate, mergers and acquisitions, and governmental relations.[7] His client list included: Citicorp, J. C. Penney, Ed Morse Automotive Group, National Beverage, Silversea Cruise Lines, Supra Telecom, and Wells Fargo.[8] Until he was permanently disbarred by the Florida Supreme Court on November 25, 2009, Rothstein was a member of the Florida Bar and admitted by the United States Supreme Court. He had been given an "AV" peer review rating by Martindale-Hubbell.

He's currently serving 50 years for fraud and other RICO charges.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Why do you believe this?

I can't see anyone being able to show that he's taken, given, encouraged, allowed, or in any way been involved in bribes or fraud. I know the Americans among us are adamant that RICO will save the world on this but I can't see the Swiss ever extraditing him if they're investigating the same thing and find nothing they can use to prosecute him.

Im not up on Swiss law but I'll be very surprised if 'these guys with motive to lie and no corroborative evidence said some stuff' is enough.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

effectual posted:

Football in the snow is the best.

It is op, it really is.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah... about that.

Scott Rothstein had over $1.2b to fund his defense and cooperated fully with the DOJ along with his own private law firm.

He's currently serving 50 years for fraud and other RICO charges.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I can't see anyone being able to show that he's taken, given, encouraged, allowed, or in any way been involved in bribes or fraud. I know the Americans among us are adamant that RICO will save the world on this but I can't see the Swiss ever extraditing him if they're investigating the same thing and find nothing they can use to prosecute him.

Im not up on Swiss law but I'll be very surprised if 'these guys with motive to lie and no corroborative evidence said some stuff' is enough.

You people are idiots.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
This is Lynch's first case, her show piece... The DOJ is going to rip FIFA apart for the spectacle alone.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

You people are idiots.

Explain

E: lol wait don't you work in law in America? Lol

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

euroboy posted:

Blatter will probably be re elected tomorrow IMO

They were crunching the numbers on Sky news earlier and it gave you that impression.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Blue Star Error posted:

This was all decided pages ago, one vote per world war or world cup won

My thought process on this was: "heh, poor Germany... wait, no, they'd still be ahead of England lol".

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
my friend's dad works for FIFA and he said everything is ok

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

This is an ongoing investigation and none of us are actually privy to the information the DOJ may or may not have. This is complicated stuff even for lawyers and the goons on somethingawful dot com don't have any idea how this will play out.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

This is an ongoing investigation and none of us are actually privy to the information the DOJ may or may not have. This is complicated stuff even for lawyers and the goons on somethingawful dot com don't have any idea how this will play out.

So just like the transfer threads.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

You could change this post to be about football and then close TRP forever. GD?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

ffs suqit

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Suqit posted:

So just like the transfer threads.

yah

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

So my forming an opinion, based on what we currently know, makes me an idiot? An opinion you seemingly can't argue against? Cool.

Maybe you should stick to fanfic about who are arsenal going to sign in the summer.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

euroboy posted:

Blatter will probably be re elected tomorrow IMO

It's great, his position will quickly become untenable and the fact that he was re-elected in the midst of what's happening right now is only going hasten FIFA's demise. I love it.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

stickyfngrdboy posted:

So my forming an opinion, based on what we currently know, makes me an idiot? An opinion you seemingly can't argue against? Cool.

Maybe you should stick to fanfic about who are arsenal going to sign in the summer.

I don't actually disagree with you it's just premature to be forming opinions about this stuff because we don't really know anything yet.

And I'm not a fanfic writer I'm just a transfer thread supporter!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Let's all stop speculating on maybe the most important thing ever to happen in the game since 1966, and instead moan about our gay and fail mods at the lack of transfer chat ftew

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Blatter to Florida State prison on a ten year contract for €150m please make it happen :pray:

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

El Hefe posted:

Blatter to Florida State prison on a ten year contract for €150m please make it happen :pray:

What's that real bad super max prison, send him to that one

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

El Hefe posted:

I read something on goal.com that said Scott Peterson was lobbying him to come to San Quentin

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

El Hefe posted:

I mean it's not that bad of a school

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

They won't be showing any prison movies where he's going... prison!

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

They won't be showing any prison movies where he's going... prison!

Just so we're all on the same page here, this was a reference to the popular animated series The Simpsons

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

The only one going to prison for sure is Figueredo and that's because of his fraud and tax dodging, the rest could still walk.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Send him to Terre Haute, that's the one where federal executions are held.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

do people in their 80s go to proper prisons in the US or get special treatment because of their age?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Gitmo?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Not a federal prison, but angola is literally a slave plantation in the deep south.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Just so we're all on the same page here, this was a reference to the popular animated series The Simpsons

hmmm interesting reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Idea: Set up a FIFA Executive Council.

Five of the seats will be occupied by the top-five nations on the FIFA coefficient. These nations are determined after every World Cup, so you'll likely see changes here every four years.

The rest of the seats are each occupied by a nation from each regional organization (UEFA, AFC, etc.). The nations on this list change every year.

It's basically like the UN Security Council except Russia, China, and the USA will almost never be on it.