Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is that supposed to be the dude who cuts the thumbs of children if they suck them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
The latter-day Clock Tower games were pretty poo poo, but they lead to the creation of Haunting Ground, a game I liked, so I'm not annoyed at their existence.

Also, I'm late to the SH4 chat, but I respect any game that's basically a remake of The Frighteners.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is that supposed to be the dude who cuts the thumbs of children if they suck them?

Nah, Clock Tower was heavily inspired by a movie called Phenomena about a teacher that brings students to his house so that his deformed son can murder them with scissors.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Corpse Party inspiration? All facetiosness aside, that would have scared the poo poo out of me back in the day.

Clock Tower is a legit scary game that manages to have both scary and goofy elements to it without the goofy bits destroying the scary bits. It's good in a sorta b-movie horror way, where it has heart and it's not like AAA presentation or anything and it doesn't necessarily all make sense, but drat if it just doesn't work. Same with Clock Tower PS1. Not so much for Clock Tower 2/Ghost Head and Clock Tower 3 though.

I dunno poo poo about haunting ground other than starting development as a clock tower game and it apparently being really scary but in more of a skeevy, sleazy way.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 28, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

FirstAidKite posted:

Nah, Clock Tower was heavily inspired by a movie called Phenomena about a teacher that brings students to his house so that his deformed son can murder them with scissors.

Is that the one where a monkey with a knife saves the protagonist? My brother has watched a lot of Dario movies and my brain has sort of absorbed random details via osmosis.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Section Z posted:

Is that the one where a monkey with a knife saves the protagonist? My brother has watched a lot of Dario movies and my brain has sort of absorbed random details via osmosis.

I haven't seen it, but my understanding is it's about a girl named Jennifer who telepathically calls bugs to help her out

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There needs to be more giallo-inspired games like Clock Tower because giallos tend to be all batshit.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I haven't seen it, but my understanding is it's about a girl named Jennifer who telepathically calls bugs to help her out

Looking up more details on the movie, yeah it's the one with the chimp.

Clock Tower could've used a chimp. Oh well, it already had a lot in it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The only part I've seen of any Clocktower game is a guy murdering a mother and son with a barrel of acid. Are they worth getting into if I thought that scene out of context was very very goofy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

FirstAidKite posted:

One is a Schoolgirl with a psychic connection to bugs. The other is a blade wielding monkey. They fight crime (and deformed serial killer children).

Horror devs make me a game about this TIA.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Terrible Opinions posted:

The only part I've seen of any Clocktower game is a guy murdering a mother and son with a barrel of acid. Are they worth getting into if I thought that scene out of context was very very goofy.

That was Clock Tower 3, which had one decent level, one passable level, and the rest of the game was unplayably bad. Don't subject yourself to it.

Also Clock Tower for SNES was great because if you do some really specific stuff, you can escape in the car without actually seeing anyone die, so the story becomes Jennifer hearing a scream, seeing everyone disappeared, and nopeing the gently caress out in a car before anything actually spooky happens.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

That's Clock Tower 3. It's not a very good game but the cutscenes are kind of hilariously bad and worth looking up on youtube for just how dumb they are. Like, idk what happened with whoever was in charge of the animations, but I don't think they're very good at their job.

Clock Tower 2 in the US, or Clock Tower: Ghost Head is not a good game and is very tedious. It starts promising enough in a mansion with multiple stalkers but it has a lot of really lovely things in it. Stuff like "If you don't examine this suit of armor in the first third of the game, the bad guy will throw it on top of you in the last third and kill you, but if you do examine the armor in the first third, then in the last third the bad guy will miss when he throws it at you"

Clock Tower 1 (Clock Tower 2 elsewhere) on PS1 is a direct sequel to Clock Tower SNES/Clock Tower First Fear. Snes/First Fear is a solid scary adventure game that is more about walking around examining poo poo and surviving and exploring than it is about solving any specific puzzles (save for one that triggers the endgame). It's pretty great and in spite of its goofier moments, manages to have a sorta b-movie 80s slasher vibe to it (large in part due to it being so heavily inspired by Phenomena). I don't know much about the PS1 direct sequel unfortunately other than some plot bits and a few of the scares, but while it hasn't aged well graphically, its atmosphere seems more or less the same as the SNES game.

The guy who was in charge of both the SNES and PS1 clock tower games left the company which is why the future clock tower games had such a massive drop in quality. He's now working on a game called NightCry that is about a "scissorwalker" chasing you around a ship and from the gameplay trailer I saw it looks to have the same kinda vibe and feel as CT SNES and CT PS1. I'm hoping NIghtCry will be good.

There was another game that started development as a clock tower game but was retitled to Haunting Ground (I think it was called Demento in Europe) and it's about a girl in some kinda big mansion thing and a dog she found and they have to solve puzzles, explore, and avoid getting killed by the various stalkers in the game. I don't know much about this game either, though people that have played it have said it's very creepy and I've heard it described as "rapey" but gently caress if I know. All I know for certain is that it had a gimmick where your stalker was always on the map looking for you in real time rather than just popping up randomly when the game decides to load them in.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Danaru posted:

That was Clock Tower 3, which had one decent level, one passable level, and the rest of the game was unplayably bad. Don't subject yourself to it.

Also Clock Tower for SNES was great because if you do some really specific stuff, you can escape in the car without actually seeing anyone die, so the story becomes Jennifer hearing a scream, seeing everyone disappeared, and nopeing the gently caress out in a car before anything actually spooky happens.

Which was the decent level and which was the passable level?

Corroder was too good for that game. In real life some rear end in a top hat was all like "I'll con people into letting me into their homes, then I'll kill them and dissolve their bodies in acid and steal their stuff" and so the devs decided to take that guy and turn him into a shower-curtain-wearing gas-masked guy with a shower rod that sprays out sulfuric acid lmao.

What causes the glitch in Clock Tower SNES where you avoid seeing anybody die? I triggered it once but never figured out how I did it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

FirstAidKite posted:

Which was the decent level and which was the passable level?

Corroder was too good for that game. In real life some rear end in a top hat was all like "I'll con people into letting me into their homes, then I'll kill them and dissolve their bodies in acid and steal their stuff" and so the devs decided to take that guy and turn him into a shower-curtain-wearing gas-masked guy with a shower rod that sprays out sulfuric acid lmao.

Sledgey's level is the decent one, it's an interesting set piece, it's fairly spooky, and Sledge himself is pretty goofy and fun.

Corroder's level is loving awful, but gets upgraded to "passable" solely because it has Corroder in it.

Everything after that is just irredeemable.

FirstAidKite posted:

What causes the glitch in Clock Tower SNES where you avoid seeing anybody die? I triggered it once but never figured out how I did it.

You have to enter the hallway to the bedrooms and the bathroom Laura is in, which makes the game trip a flag saying that Laura's in the tub and Anne is on the roof. You have to immediately hop back, smack open the wall to the courtyard, and bolt across the pool before the game realizes you're up to some bullshit. After that, you can open the door to the other wing, and head for the garage, and the game will still be waiting for you to walk past the bathroom Laura's supposed to be in. Since you didn't enter through the door it expected, it doesn't trigger Anne's roof death.

Shameful confession: the reason I know the specifics so well is because I did a stupid "LP" of it where we pretended to bumble through and beat the game in four minutes without ever realizing it's a horror game :frogdowns: Also the trick only works if you use the quick start option for whatever reason. If you choose to watch the intro, it'll realize what you're up to and have Anne die in the pool.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Danaru posted:

Sledgey's level is the decent one, it's an interesting set piece, it's fairly spooky, and Sledge himself is pretty goofy and fun.

Corroder's level is loving awful, but gets upgraded to "passable" solely because it has Corroder in it.

Everything after that is just irredeemable.

Corroder rules and it's kinda funny that you start off with goofy crazy sledgehammer guy to motherfuckin Corroder and then you end up with axe dude, lovely scissor twins, and dumb pilgrim man

Corroder owns. That concept art though...

Danaru posted:

You have to enter the hallway to the bedrooms and the bathroom Laura is in, which makes the game trip a flag saying that Laura's in the tub and Anne is on the roof. You have to immediately hop back, smack open the wall to the courtyard, and bolt across the pool before the game realizes you're up to some bullshit. After that, you can open the door to the other wing, and head for the garage, and the game will still be waiting for you to walk past the bathroom Laura's supposed to be in. Since you didn't enter through the door it expected, it doesn't trigger Anne's roof death.

Shameful confession: the reason I know the specifics so well is because I did a stupid "LP" of it where we pretended to bumble through and beat the game in four minutes without ever realizing it's a horror game :frogdowns: Also the trick only works if you use the quick start option for whatever reason. If you choose to watch the intro, it'll realize what you're up to and have Anne die in the pool.

That explains it then. I know I got the glitch once since Ann wasn't drowning in the pool and I hadn't seen anybody die yet so I must have accidentally triggered it. I guess it's not too hard to bumble into it.

If you progress through the game as normal after doing that glitch, does it softlock during the ending or does one of the girls have priority over the other when it comes to who survived or what?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

FirstAidKite posted:

If you progress through the game as normal after doing that glitch, does it softlock during the ending or does one of the girls have priority over the other when it comes to who survived or what?

Unfortunately you can't get the perfume without causing the game to fix it's flags, so if you go for it, you can't leave the area without Laura or Anne dying :(

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sad Mammal posted:

The latter-day Clock Tower games were pretty poo poo, but they lead to the creation of Haunting Ground, a game I liked, so I'm not annoyed at their existence.
[/spoiler].

thats the pregnancy fetish game right?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Normal Adult Human posted:

Yeah more or less. That and some alchemical stuff about Azoths and stuff. It's actually a pretty spooky game but it is rather exploitative but then, which slasher movie isn't?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah more or less. That and some alchemical stuff about Azoths and stuff. It's actually a pretty spooky game but it is rather exploitative but then, which slasher movie isn't?

Scream 4. The only exploitative part was the girl with the huge rack who was cast solely because it's a trope of slashers. It's a very meta film :smug:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Scream 4. The only exploitative part was the girl with the huge rack who was cast solely because it's a trope of slashers. It's a very meta film :smug:

Scream 1 is meant to be a self aware parody of slashers. Scream 4 was meant to be about how dumb and bad most reboots of horror movies are but kind of floundered on the execution.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Scream 1 is meant to be a self aware parody of slashers. Scream 4 was meant to be about how dumb and bad most reboots of horror movies are but kind of floundered on the execution.

Also a heavy handed commentary of our fame obsessed culture, but yeah.

E: I'm awaiting my slasher survival horror VR game in twenty years.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Section Z posted:

Okay in hindsight if I wasn't so loving pissed off that could be pretty terrifying. Or at least how some idiot dies on a B movie about ants killing people.

EDIT: Note to self, look up "It came from the desert"

The scariest thing about "It Came From the Desert" is "Sea of Love" - or at least in the version Retsupurae riffed on. There's a bit of campy charm to it, but the gameplay looks tedious at best. Slowbeef said the PC version was a totally different game though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

FirstAidKite posted:

One of HarshlyCritical's best videos was him playing through a game that did this. It was called Babysitter Bloodbath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufKRi36aFug

I'm surprised I don't hear about that game getting talked about more often. It's pretty great.

I know it's just one guy making this but those games just look so rough. I'd like to see a game like that but with something like Condemned's production values and mechanics... basically I want a game that's like Condemned but instead of fighting a bunch of hobos and creepy monster-people it's a single deranged guy. You can fight him off but he keeps coming back, and your only course of action is to try and keep moving. I guess I'm thinking of something sort of halfway between Condemned and Alien: Isolation.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

King Vidiot posted:

I know it's just one guy making this but those games just look so rough. I'd like to see a game like that but with something like Condemned's production values and mechanics... basically I want a game that's like Condemned but instead of fighting a bunch of hobos and creepy monster-people it's a single deranged guy. You can fight him off but he keeps coming back, and your only course of action is to try and keep moving. I guess I'm thinking of something sort of halfway between Condemned and Alien: Isolation.

Honestly, there's something about the PS1/PS2 look that really sells me on these games. It's kinda like the video game equivalent of a grainy 80s slasher flick on VHS. I know that's the whole point of these games anyway, but they manage to capture that feel without looking photo-realistic or even good, really. The dude made a newer one called Power Drill Massacre that absolutely fills me with dread just by the look of it.

I agree that he should clean up the camera and controls and, well, gameplay. If you watch that video it's actually a pretty crappy game, but that aesthetic really does it for me.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I definitely have an affection for horror games on older systems, since I think they show a lot of charm and thought, even if they kind of fall flat on their faces in some ways. I hadn't played the SNES Clock Tower, but I'm going to see if I can track it down to try it out. But besides that, and Sweet Home on NES, I don't remember many real attempts at horror or dark supernatural games on any early systems. Are there any other games on NES, SNES, or Genesis that tried to do horror that might be worth checking out?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I played some of the Power Drill Massacre demo and when the killer first appears it scared the poo poo out of me.

I do sort of feel that Babysitter Bloodbath works a little bit better because it gives you more time to get used to the house and learn the layout before the horror kicks in while Power Drill Massacre just puts you into a decrepit grimy mace and then starts throwing the horror at you without any sort of warning.

But of course the first game is based on Halloween where a major part of the shtick is that this horrible stuff is happening in familiar and tranquil suburban enviroments while the new game is based on backwoods horror films like TCM where part of the horror is that the people are trapped in the middle of nowhere in an unfamiliar and hostile environment.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 28, 2015

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

MockingQuantum posted:

I definitely have an affection for horror games on older systems, since I think they show a lot of charm and thought, even if they kind of fall flat on their faces in some ways. I hadn't played the SNES Clock Tower, but I'm going to see if I can track it down to try it out. But besides that, and Sweet Home on NES, I don't remember many real attempts at horror or dark supernatural games on any early systems. Are there any other games on NES, SNES, or Genesis that tried to do horror that might be worth checking out?

Splatterhouse is more a love letter to gorey slasher flicks than an actual horror game but all three on the Genesis are loving fantastic, they have excellently creepy set pieces and bosses.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

Monster Party is probably more goofy than scary, but it features some send-ups to classic horror movies and has a pretty hosed up ending.

I remember being terrified by Friday the 13th when I played it ages ago, especially when you have to search the houses.

Uninvited is a literal haunted house game.

I can't really remember anything on SNES, though I always thought Super Castlevania IV had a creepy, dreamlike quality to it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

King Vidiot posted:

Condemned but instead of fighting a bunch of hobos and creepy monster-people it's a single deranged guy. You can fight him off but he keeps coming back, and your only course of action is to try and keep moving.

Isn't this what Evil Within was kind of like? Or was that not Condemned enough because I haven't gotten around to playing Condemned yet :v:

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Volt Catfish posted:

Isn't this what Evil Within was kind of like? Or was that not Condemned enough because I haven't gotten around to playing Condemned yet :v:

You do Condemned a disservice by comparing it to Evil Within, and I actually liked Evil Within.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I've not played Evil Within but from what I understand, it goes from Silent Hill in the first three chapters to Resident Evil 4-2 for the rest of the game.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Condemned has you as playing a police detective investigating serial killers and fighting hoboes in a city where the homeless population has gone violently insane for no apparent reason. Combat is mostly based around grabbing whatever is close at hand, wooden planks, rebars, iron pipes, metal wall signs, etc., and just beating the crap out of them until your weapon breaks before they can do the same to you. So it's balanced between you following dried up blood trails using a blacklight and photographing crime scenes and you fighting for your life in abandoned subway tunnels.

It's pretty fun. I haven't played the second game but I hear that they actually explain why everything is going crazy which makes it a lot less creepy. There is some supernatural stuff in the first game that isn't really explained but most of it could be hallucinatory.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 28, 2015

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

FreudianSlippers posted:

Condemned has you as playing a police detective investigating serial killers and fighting hoboes in a city where the homeless population has gone violently insane for no apparent reason. Combat is mostly based around grabbing whatever is close at hand, wooden planks, rebars, iron pipes, metal wall signs, etc., and just beating the crap out of them until your weapon breaks before they can do the same to you. So it's balanced between you following dried up blood trails using a blacklight and photographing crime scenes and you fighting for your life in abandoned subway tunnels.

It's pretty fun. I haven't played the second game but I hear that they actually explain why everything is going crazy which makes it a lot less creepy. There is some supernatural stuff in the first game that isn't really explained but most of it could be hallucinatory and nothing is ever fully explained.

Condemned 2 will always be amazing to me if only for the cabin segment.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Condemned 2 will always be amazing to me if only for the cabin segment.

I'll grant you that the cabin segment was the high point of Condemned 2, but I seriously don't understand why people give that game so much trouble for its ridiculous over-the-top plot. Even at its most silly, the Condemned series is more realistic than most other horror games.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

There was something completely magical about playing the cabin segment of Condemned 2 for the first time during an extreme thunder storm. I will forever love the first half of that game, even if the second half goes completely insane.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Zombie Samurai posted:

Uninvited is a literal haunted house game.

Ooooh poo poo I remember playing this game on some DOS-based machine when I was probably too young to be playing it. Thanks for bringing this up, I forgot it existed. Time to go have horrifying childhood flashbacks.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I've not played Evil Within but from what I understand, it goes from Silent Hill in the first three chapters to Resident Evil 4-2 for the rest of the game.
Actually the DLC that just came out for Evil Within is pretty much Condemned but you play as one of the bosses from the game and you have a big gently caress off hammer. It's pretty fun.

And the reason it's like Condemned....cause it's entirely from the first person and it's super weird.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

The scariest thing about "It Came From the Desert" is "Sea of Love" - or at least in the version Retsupurae riffed on. There's a bit of campy charm to it, but the gameplay looks tedious at best. Slowbeef said the PC version was a totally different game though.

I admit I was thinking of it more because it's the only game off the top of my head where the major goal is "These loving ants have got to go." Well, I guess there is taking control of the spider in SimAnt?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Let's not forget the secret campaign in Red Alert.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Normal Adult Human posted:

It is. It also doesn't even try to pretend that there isn't sexual violence threatened within slasher horror themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The most apt way I heard of describing The Evil Within is that its Silent Hill by way of Resident Evil.

Also the plot makes literally no sense unless you play the DLCs but the DLCs are actually pretty good .