Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

apatheticman posted:

I assume CI watches the nuke scene like conspiracy theorists watch the zapruder film.

Furious masturbation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

apatheticman posted:

I assume CI watches the nuke scene like conspiracy theorists watch the zapruder film.

Six killed the baby since she wanted to save the baby from experiencing life in Vancouver.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

quote:

I am retired and I hate how at 10:00 am on weekdays some of my neighbors gardeners mow their lawns. These lawn mowers make so much noise and this is the time of day that I like drinking my coffee and reading my newspapers. I have been living in Kerrisdale for years and pay over $10,000 a year in property taxes to the city and the least they can do is ensure that there is no noise in the mornings. I just want to call the City and give them a piece of my mind.

:allears:

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Jumpingmanjim posted:

How embarassing:

quote:

“If we can unlock the potential to increase property’s contribution even further, that will mean more jobs and more prosperity for Australians,” Mr Morrison told Fairfax Media.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/property/property-now-australias-biggest-industry-property-council/story-fn9656lz-1227372294372

I just, I have no words for this.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MickeyFinn posted:

I just, I have no words for this.

It is truly the best part of that article. A Scientology fanatic is just now saying something similar about dianetics.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

All I see there is a quote saying "More money for us! More money for us! More money for us! *slobbering sounds*" seems pretty normal to me.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

All I see there is a quote saying "More money for us! More money for us! More money for us! *slobbering sounds*" seems pretty normal to me.

Who needs other industries when you can just build more houses?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
All I can see is "Australia is officially a banana republic"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Immortan Joe had the best cliffside condo property

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sentence: death by guillotine.

I mean, I hate people making noise too, but 10AM? It's really beyond the boundaries of good taste to complain about that.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Neighbours are meant to be seen, not heard.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

"I called the City and now all my neighbours have stopped mowing their lawns. All I see is overgrown grass every morning. It's lowering the value of my property. I should call the City and give them a piece of my mind."

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Remember when you actually knew your neighbors and would have each other over for coffee and cribbage? I miss that. :smith:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rime posted:

There is a thread on my FB feed that has over 100 comments of idiot friends bitching about how this city totally isn't lovely and you're just wrong if you think it is.

It's pathetic.

We probably have the same friends or similar friends, all my Vancouver friends were sharing and angry commenting like 100 times between each other about that article and about how someone back east just can't do some math to figure out Vancouver is boring because they clearly aren't taking into account the natural beauty and laid back lifestyle and maybe they were too racist to go to an asian mall, asian malls are so interesting!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

EvilJoven posted:

Remember when you actually knew your neighbors and would have each other over for coffee and cribbage? I miss that. :smith:

That's a risky move, you can only pull that off if you know for a fact all your poo poo is newer and better than theirs

God forbid you haven't renovated your kitchen in the last 4 years

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

triplexpac posted:

That's a risky move, you can only pull that off if you know for a fact all your poo poo is newer and better than theirs

God forbid you haven't renovated your kitchen in the last 4 years

Hahahaha

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Cultural Imperial posted:

Yesterday at the corner of main and Broadway, I was helping an old woman with a gimped knee walk to the bus stop. The woman was out of her loving mind and who stopped to help me and call BC ambulance? American tourists.

This was during rush hour you loving cunts

Why was an ambulance called? Did the woman attack you, or was the gimp knee an injury suffered at the scene, or what?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Brannock posted:

Why was an ambulance called? Did the woman attack you, or was the gimp knee an injury suffered at the scene, or what?

Probably just American tourists wanting to witness our magical free health care firsthand

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The woman wasn't all there and for whatever reason, she could barely walk anymore. Her leg was at a terrible angle relative to the ground. Sorry for wasting your tax dollars though.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Clearly you didn't waste anyone's tax dollars because the dumb old crone shouldve just walked it off and you made sure she didn't cause congestion.

Filthy economic terrorist.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Join Tory is saying there's nothing wrong with the hosting market in Toronto.

Between him and the clowns that run BC, I think we've reached jim Cramer's bear Stearns moment.

For those of you who missed it:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/91878

Probably my favorite moment of the great recession.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Are ambulances free in BC? You have to pay for them in Alberta.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Throatwarbler posted:

Are ambulances free in BC? You have to pay for them in Alberta.

$80 a ride, more if they have to save your life on the way.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Cultural Imperial posted:

Join Tory is saying there's nothing wrong with the hosting market in Toronto.

Phew, that's a relief. I'm off to buy a house guys!

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Ccs posted:

Vancouver has done a good job marketing itself though. I've never been there, yet when I hear about it I imagine a nice climate, trees, a bit of misty rain, and shiny condos, despite reading pages and pages of this thread saying it's terrible.

This thread isn't really a great place to get a handle on what Vancouver is really like. It's nice to get some contrast to the shiny marketing image of the city, but in reality the truth is probably ~somewhere in the middle~.

I'm pretty well traveled, and though other cities can be great to visit, I wouldn't want to permanently live anywhere else.

City is very well planned and managed. It's incredibly safe, provided you aren't in the DTES. Respectably decent transit by NA standards. Climate is fantastic, not too hot, not too cold, and it doesn't really rain much anymore. You can be hiking or mountain biking in the rainforest after a 30 minute drive from your door. World class skiing 1.5 hours away. Very bike friendly, and getting better by the year. You can seriously bike pretty much anywhere quickly and safely.

If owning a detached house in Van proper is one of your primary goals in life and how you measure your self worth, then yeah, poo poo is going to seem pretty bleak.

If you can secure a decent job and are happy renting (while building your investment money pile, of course), it's a pretty drat nice place to live.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
On the other hand: no.

There are worse cities, but there are way better cities too. Climate, proximity to mountains, transit, bike-friendliness, ease of travel to other nice places. I'm in one right now, and if I wanted to, I could easily buy a nice condo for what I'd pay in Calgary, much less Vancouver.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I stopped reading when you started your argument about Calgary being better than Vancouver with "climate".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

As much as I love to poo poo on Vancouver, Canadian's can't be too picky. As poo poo as Vancouver is the rest of the country is often worse. I mean different strokes for different folks but if I was forced to live in a big city in Canada it would probably end up being Vancouver. I'd hate it, but I'd hate Toronto or Calgary or Winnipeg even more. Other places either have even worse economies, climates no human should have to endure, are sprawling auto-centric hell-holes of big-box stores, or half the population speaks some sort of bizarre language that our finest educators can only impart the word for "grapefruit" after 7+ years.

\/
And yeah I've been to venues that happen to be in the dtes, right on main and hastings. It feels totally safe, everyone's doing their own thing. The drug dealer politely asks if you'd like some drugs and if you don't they leave you alone. People don't come up to you and get in your face unlike in Victoria. The dude making GBS threads in the alley just wants to poo poo in peace. It's rowdy suburban drunks that you have to avoid and watch out for, same in any city really. People freak out about the dtes but after a few visits you realize there's really not much to worry about. Yeah it looks horrible but it doesn't want to do anything to you other than make you sad.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 28, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The dtes heroin zombies are harmless. I'd hardly call the dtes dangerous, unlike surrey center.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HookShot posted:

I stopped reading when you started your argument about Calgary being better than Vancouver with "climate".

I'm not in Calgary right now, I'm in Madrid. The mountains are perhaps not quite so high or so close, but they're still a good hike and you can go skiing if you're into that.

The climate is way better, unless of course you mind it being 33 degrees outside like it was today.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I am way, way, way more scared going to the neighborhood of Gateway skytrain than I am stumbling around drunk in the DTES at 1am.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rime posted:

I am way, way, way more scared going to the neighborhood of Gateway skytrain than I am stumbling around drunk in the DTES at 1am.

Stumbling around drunk in the DTES is the only danger there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PT6A posted:

I'm not in Calgary right now, I'm in Madrid. The mountains are perhaps not quite so high or so close, but they're still a good hike and you can go skiing if you're into that.

The climate is way better, unless of course you mind it being 33 degrees outside like it was today.

You literally cannot compare skiing in the Pyrenees to skiing at Whistler, that's stupid and ridiculous.

And yeah, 33 degrees is fun when you're on holiday, but it sucks loving balls to live in it all the time.

You're in love with Spain because you've never left the Canadian west coast and it's all new and fun to you. But living somewhere and visiting it as a tourist are just so completely different things you can't compare them at all.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Vancouver is boring and dull in a very intangible and indescribable way. It's like, the opposite of a place like Montreal or St. John's.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I would hesitate to label some downtown locales as "safe". Safe for me maybe, but it's not universal. My boyfriend was walking alone on Davie yesterday in broad daylight, and some old man crept up and tried to grab his hand. It's not the first time he's been harassed or touched there either. And women have it even worse.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

On the other hand: no.

There are worse cities, but there are way better cities too.

I'm not claiming it's "the best city in the world" (which would be a stupid claim to make about any city) or anything, just that it's the best fit for me personally and I feel happy and privileged to be able to live here. And it seems at least in my circles that a lot of other people feel the same way. The Cultural Imperial type opinions that the city is full of horrible people and deserves to be sunk into the sea are probably in the minority.

People have different tastes and different life goals so it's dumb to try to make an objective claim that any (first world, highly livable) city is better then another.

Agree that Madrid & Sevilla are both very cool cities, what a completely different culture from ours. Too drat hot for me though. And Spanish speaking. I'm poo poo with languages and wouldn't ever want to live anywhere long term if I wasn't totally fluent in whatever they speak. You miss out on so much.

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Vancouver is boring and dull in a very intangible and indescribable way. It's like, the opposite of a place like Montreal or St. John's.

I think it's just that in a place like van you need to make your own fun more than waiting for it to find you, if that makes sense.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 28, 2015

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I think the word you're looking for is soulless. Great parks, beautiful views, but a lot of Vancouver has this sort of "sameness" to it that's hard to describe. I usually spend at least a couple months a year in Vancouver for the last few years, and it always strikes me that despite the wonderful offerings surrounding the city, the city itself feels like one giant suburb. This is especially true of Yaletown.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Gorau posted:

This is especially true of Yaletown.

Lol no poo poo it seems horrible and soulless if you are hanging around Yaletown. Yaletown could sink into the sea and nothing and no one of value would be lost.

Go check out The Drive next time you are around.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Must we do this?

edit: it seems straight out of the same playbook as calling Yaletown a 'borough' or some place called Toronto having a 'midtown'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

Must we do this?

edit: it seems straight out of the same playbook as calling Yaletown a 'borough' or some place called Toronto having a 'midtown'.

Toronto needs a midtown to differentiate between the East End and the Lower East Side otherwise it is all the same and my condo is technically in the poors area