Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Knyteguy posted:

It looks like all of California is pretty expensive, the median home price is $400,000.
And it's only that low because of the godforsaken hellholes like Bakersfield and Modesto. Anywhere you'd want to live is likely going to be >$500k.

Speaking of which, take a look at the median listing price by zip code for San Diego county. Be terrified of any zip code that is that close to the ocean yet has a median price of <$300k. It might not be a dystopian hellscape of violence and methamphetamines, but it probably is. (Note that I don't know anything about the San Diego area specifically, but I've lived in California for most of my life and Southern California has some incredibly lovely areas.) You'll definitely want to visit before committing to anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Giraffe posted:

And it's only that low because of the godforsaken hellholes like Bakersfield and Modesto. Anywhere you'd want to live is likely going to be >$500k.

Speaking of which, take a look at the median listing price by zip code for San Diego county. Be terrified of any zip code that is that close to the ocean yet has a median price of <$300k. It might not be a dystopian hellscape of violence and methamphetamines, but it probably is. (Note that I don't know anything about the San Diego area specifically, but I've lived in California for most of my life and Southern California has some incredibly lovely areas.) You'll definitely want to visit before committing to anything.

That chart seems really off. I looked up where I live and it says the median house price is ~$150,000-$250,000, but it must be skewed by some really cheap falling over houses or something because from experience and looking for houses to buy the "entry level" 3 bedroom 2 bath houses are going for about $350,000+.

Trulia is probably getting scaled down driven by condos, trailer parks, etc..

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Horking Delight posted:

I sorta think yes because I'm of the opinion that budgets should be "set it and forget it", but I'll happily go with whatever BFC recommends if they're okay with changing it.

I'll just keep it (nearly) the same just to make it easier. I say nearly because our income varies slightly month-to-month. If that works for you I'll get the budget posted tomorrow.

Relo:
Well I found this article
http://www.garyharmon.com/north-county/san-diego-north-county-map-communte-times
with a commute chart:

It's not perfect because I did research on Julian->SD and apparently you're totally screwed perhaps all day if there's an accident. It also doesn't say the time of day, but from what I'm reading the earlier the better traffic wise. And on top of all of that it's a real-estate guy I think so it's probably overly optimistic (see I'm picking some stuff up from you guys :v:). I'm also checking out city-data for crime rates per 100,000, the LAN forum San Diego thread, and using Google searches to get information from actual people making these commutes.

I'm weary to put in too much effort before the offer, but I can get some ideas of where and where not to start looking at least.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 28, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Beach stuff: OK that may take the beach off my wife's list. For me I like proximity to the ocean. The waves splashing, the smell, the air, etc.

That reminds me that another place I may want to look if this doesn't work out is Monterey CA. I'm not sure if there'd be jobs but that'd be cool.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Beach stuff: OK that may take the beach off my wife's list. For me I like proximity to the ocean. The waves splashing, the smell, the air, etc.

That reminds me that another place I may want to look if this doesn't work out is Monterey CA. I'm not sure if there'd be jobs but that'd be cool.

Dude. You're dreaming. You're picking places everyone wants to live and it completely doesn't align to your "financial goals".

This thread is hilarious.

EDIT: Why shoot so low? Why not live on 17 Mile Drive next to Pebble Beach? It'd be super cool and fun to live there!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

Dude. You're dreaming. You're picking places everyone wants to live and it completely doesn't align to your "financial goals".

This thread is hilarious.

I'm not from California how am I supposed to know where everyone wants to live? I don't see why I'd need to exclude any potential city without some research.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

I'm not from California how am I supposed to know where everyone wants to live? I don't see why I'd need to exclude any potential city without some research.

Hint 1: If it's by the beach, you probably can't afford it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I mean, developers do it so what's the deal? http://www.indeed.com/q-Software-Engineer-l-Monterey,-CA-jobs.html I haven't done any research I'm just throwing it out there for my future reference of places to look at.

Sure I'm dreaming a little bit that's like kind of a fun part of life, and if I can't do it now then I can try to figure out how I can do it if that's what I want.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

I mean, developers do it so what's the deal? http://www.indeed.com/q-Software-Engineer-l-Monterey,-CA-jobs.html I haven't done any research I'm just throwing it out there for my future reference of places to look at.

Sure I'm dreaming a little bit that's like kind of a fun part of life, and if I can't do it now then I can try to figure out how I can do it if that's what I want.

Yes. It is possible to get jobs in "fun locations", but you will not be able to afford to live there without room sharing, dual income households, living in a tiny rear end apartment, or living far enough away and commuting.

Pick Any Two: Price, Location, Quality
http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2011/02/24/setting-your-homebuying-priorities-price-quality-location-pick-any-two/

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Julian to San Diego daily commute would be insane. It's probably close to an hour with no traffic.

This whole job/moving thing feels like the budget, jumping around playing with it, always changing dreaming, big ideas.

Slow down, take a breath, see this for the long term, play the long game. Move slowly, calculated...

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

MrEnigma posted:

Julian to San Diego daily commute would be insane. It's probably close to an hour with no traffic.

This whole job/moving thing feels like the budget, jumping around playing with it, always changing dreaming, big ideas.

Slow down, take a breath, see this for the long term, play the long game. Move slowly, calculated...

Yea that's too much. How about Carlsbad into SD? Anyone know anything about El Cajon is it safe?

I'll slow it down when I know what's going on with SD. I'm a little pessimistic about the coming offer, and making that offer work within my goals, so I'm trying to come up with a backup plan. I'll just do that out of the thread.

Bugamol posted:

Yes. It is possible to get jobs in "fun locations", but you will not be able to afford to live there without room sharing, dual income households, living in a tiny rear end apartment, or living far enough away and commuting.

Pick Any Two: Price, Location, Quality
http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2011/02/24/setting-your-homebuying-priorities-price-quality-location-pick-any-two/

Alright good article and link.

Price and Location is what I would want of those two. I won't be fixing a rental obviously so I'm more limited.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Knyteguy posted:

I hear Hawaii is pretty sweet, why not put it on the list?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

ufsteph posted:

I hear Hawaii is pretty sweet, why not put it on the list?

Hawaii is pretty sweet.

Related to what I was just reading too actually: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/12/15/high-cost-of-living-its-a-state-of-mind/

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Knyteguy posted:

Price and Location is what I would want of those two. I won't be fixing a rental obviously so I'm more limited.

The main driver of your last move was quality.

Don't kid yourself.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Knyteguy posted:

Yea that's too much. How about Carlsbad into SD? Anyone know anything about El Cajon is it safe?

I'll slow it down when I know what's going on with SD. I'm a little pessimistic about the coming offer, and making that offer work within my goals, so I'm trying to come up with a backup plan. I'll just do that out of the thread.

Carlsbad into SD is a horrible commute, do not do it under any circumstances. The 5 gets completely backed up from Oceanside all the way to Solana Beach every morning without fail, I go the opposite way so I see it daily. The same for evening rush hour, going from SD to Carlsbad from 3pm to 7pm is atrocious. I get that you probably want to live on the beach and Carlsbad is probably the only place where you could maybe, ~theoretically~, kind of afford it but just know the beach is a quick drive from pretty much anywhere in SD unless you are east of the 15. El Cajon is generally not a great place to live but I'm in North County so I've largely avoided it, it's possible there are parts of it that are OK but it does not have a good reputation.

Also, to address your question about taking the trolley/coaster for a commute, it really is only feasible if you don't have to take a bus first (this never happens, SD is really spread out and has poor public transit). The bus system in SD is mediocre from what I've heard, though I guess it exists so it has that going for it. Why not wait to look at neighborhoods until you have an offer and a real rent budget in mind?

I've said it before as has just about everyone else in this thread but SD is really expensive. SD is a great place to live (Location and Quality) but your salary needs to be high enough, it is really easy to overextend here and end up paycheck-to-paycheck. Personally I think $105K base would be hard to work with given your dependents, debt, and savings goals. You'd be more comfortable at $120K base but it doesn't sound like they are going to offer that.

Best of luck to you, I know how appealing SD is as a city but it is not worth it if it will come with financial difficulties and setbacks.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Dude, you are either leery or wary of X, Y,z. You are not weary.

You are killing me, and I'm already weary from being up with my baby during her first cold. Weary, because I'm tired. See?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Eris posted:

Dude, you are either leery or wary of X, Y,z. You are not weary.

You are killing me, and I'm already weary from being up with my baby during her first cold. Weary, because I'm tired. See?

Oh jeez relax guys it's still an internet forum. I'm going to make it my goal to transform weary into meaning wary now. I think weary could kind of loosely fit anyway as it's an antonym of enthusiastic.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Knyteguy posted:

Oh jeez relax guys it's still an internet forum. I'm going to make it my goal to transform weary into meaning wary now. I think weary could kind of loosely fit anyway as it's an antonym of enthusiastic.

Maybe s/he just doesn't want you to sound stupid.

Location really comes before Quality with a wife and kid? I find that baffling.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002

Knyteguy posted:

You are talking about earning a six-figure income. Do you want to show up to your big job near the ocean and Sports Team, and sound like that? It's also my mission, somehow, to get BFC to stop writing that they get "payed" X amount. I've given up on trying to get weight loss groups to stop abbreviating "pds."

But you, Knyteguy? You can do it! I believe in you.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

foxatee posted:

Maybe s/he just doesn't want you to sound stupid.

Location really comes before Quality with a wife and kid? I find that baffling.

Fair enough, but I don't think I'm a stupid person anyway so that doesn't bother me. I'm just a little embarrassed that I had to get corrected twice :eng99:.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a fix-me-upper. When I was a cable installer I was installing internet for a couple who just bought a house that had had a fire in it at a deep discount. It was obviously unlivable, but the lot itself was in the richest part of town (mansions and genuine wealth), even though the home was modest. They had worked hard to save their money over the years as he was a blue-collar guy, and they were living in an RV in the driveway as they slowly built the house up. As I drive by over the years (I like to check out the neighborhood and it's on the main street), I see that they've finished the house and they're out of the RV, and they've got a small steer operation going on their lot.

Cool even if it's not something I want to do. I don't know because I haven't put much thought into buying a home yet. I need to get out of debt first.

dead lettuce posted:

Carlsbad into SD is a horrible commute, do not do it under any circumstances. The 5 gets completely backed up from Oceanside all the way to Solana Beach every morning without fail, I go the opposite way so I see it daily. The same for evening rush hour, going from SD to Carlsbad from 3pm to 7pm is atrocious. I get that you probably want to live on the beach and Carlsbad is probably the only place where you could maybe, ~theoretically~, kind of afford it but just know the beach is a quick drive from pretty much anywhere in SD unless you are east of the 15. El Cajon is generally not a great place to live but I'm in North County so I've largely avoided it, it's possible there are parts of it that are OK but it does not have a good reputation.

Also, to address your question about taking the trolley/coaster for a commute, it really is only feasible if you don't have to take a bus first (this never happens, SD is really spread out and has poor public transit). The bus system in SD is mediocre from what I've heard, though I guess it exists so it has that going for it. Why not wait to look at neighborhoods until you have an offer and a real rent budget in mind?

I've said it before as has just about everyone else in this thread but SD is really expensive. SD is a great place to live (Location and Quality) but your salary needs to be high enough, it is really easy to overextend here and end up paycheck-to-paycheck. Personally I think $105K base would be hard to work with given your dependents, debt, and savings goals. You'd be more comfortable at $120K base but it doesn't sound like they are going to offer that.

Best of luck to you, I know how appealing SD is as a city but it is not worth it if it will come with financial difficulties and setbacks.

Thanks for info. This could possibly be offset by flex hours which I think may be an option. I'd need more details. Maybe they'll include that with the offer of employment (my last place did. No flex hours).

Eris posted:

You are talking about earning a six-figure income. Do you want to show up to your big job near the ocean and Sports Team, and sound like that? It's also my mission, somehow, to get BFC to stop writing that they get "payed" X amount. I've given up on trying to get weight loss groups to stop abbreviating "pds."

But you, Knyteguy? You can do it! I believe in you.

I think my grammar is generally pretty good (although sometimes I intentionally use bad grammar since I'm too cool for things like rules), but yeah. Thanks for correcting me, and Hawkgirl too. I just got called out on stationary vs stationery too. :eng99: :eng99:

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 28, 2015

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Giraffe posted:

And it's only that low because of the godforsaken hellholes like Bakersfield and Modesto.

"Hellhole" is not an exaggeration here. I lived in Modesto most of my life and I don't even drive in to visit old friends when I travel back for vacations. They come to the bay area (90 min drive) to hang out with me. A lot of the cheaper houses are cheap because they're not desirable places to live in. SF is basically an oasis in the sea of crap that is the central valley. I commiserated with Mocking Bird in her BFC about the absolutely awful life that is living in that kind of area. California has a good deal of places like that because it is a massive state.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Knyteguy posted:

I'd like to heal some scone on you for your repealed use of "yea" when you mean "yeah".

"Yea" is pronounced like "yay" and is only used for votes in Congress and the King James Bible. You (and so many others) use it like a short version of "yeah" which it is not, because that word is "yah." If you need to be even more informal than the familiarity implied by "yeah" you drop the "e" instead of the "h."

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hey this is crazy. Here's my budget, San Diego maybe.

Fixed Expenses
Rent: $2,400
Baby: $200
Pets: $150
Utilities: $200
Fuel: $160
Car Insurance: $120
Internet: $50
Renter's Insurance: $26
Phone: $67.50
Netflix: $7.99
Medical: $30
---
$3412

Flexible Spending
Groceries: $500
Clothing Grooming: $75
Home Goods: $45
Her Discretionary: $130
His Discretionary: $130
Restaurants: $100
Misc: $100
---
$1115

Debt
Car: $510
Student Loans: $86
Grandma S: $99.52
---
$695

Savings Funds
Car Repair: $30
Car Registration: $45
---
$75

Travel
Visits Home: $50

Income: $5,662
Total: $5,347
---
Diff: +$315

I verified some of this data, but not all of it. I'm wary of doing of another one until the offer gets here, so I won't. I feel like we could could go more frugal than this, and I don't necessarily mean by cutting rent. I mean by like shopping smart and eating out less with my wife staying at home and being able to cook cheap meals and stuff, since she wants to do that anyway now.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 28, 2015

rcrchc
Jun 3, 2003

That commute chart is crap, I just moved out of SD and it says my 15 mile commute should have been -5 minutes instead of 30 minutes. The only way the commute can be shorter from a town farther north is when you leave the house significantly earlier or later than you would living in a town closer to downtown. SD is a big town, if your potential office isn't in downtown, those numbers don't mean anything anyway.

You seem to also be assuming your relocation package will cover all of your costs for a move. The typical package I've seen is $5k for someone who does not own a home. That doesn't even cover first, last and a deposit in anywhere you would want to live in SD, plus you'll likely need a second car. What is a move like this going to cost you, and where is the rest of the money going to come from?

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
You have nothing in your budget for medical/dental/vision. That could be $300-$500-$1000 a month for your family depending on the company. :lol:

You have nothing in your budget for 401k match. :lol:

You have nothing in your budget for accelerated debt repayment. :lol:

You have nothing in your budget for savings. :lol:

You have nothing in your budget for a second car. :lol:

You are hoping to come out $300 ahead each month. :lol:

Also if you're paid biweekly budget doesn't work. As it would only be $8,076 per month ($105,000/26)*2. :lol:

EDIT: Last point does work as long as you're far enough ahead and not living paycheck to paycheck.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 28, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

rcrchc posted:

That commute chart is crap, I just moved out of SD and it says my 15 mile commute should have been -5 minutes instead of 30 minutes. The only way the commute can be shorter from a town farther north is when you leave the house significantly earlier or later than you would living in a town closer to downtown. SD is a big town, if your potential office isn't in downtown, those numbers don't mean anything anyway.

You seem to also be assuming your relocation package will cover all of your costs for a move. The typical package I've seen is $5k for someone who does not own a home. That doesn't even cover first, last and a deposit in anywhere you would want to live in SD, plus you'll likely need a second car. What is a move like this going to cost you, and where is the rest of the money going to come from?

Yeah I dunno. I'm not assuming that no, I'm not sure what it would cover. If I was making a bunch more money I'd probably be willing to dip into savings (and pay ourselves back), but with my wife not working I'm not sure that would be wise.

Meh again I'm leaning towards no. If we found the right rental in the right place without me losing my soul to a commute, then we could probably make it work. But on such short notice I'm not sure if that's realistic.

So what I've got out of all of this is:
1) If we're going to do this, we should try to make it happen when our lease is almost up. This would make it thousands of dollars cheaper.
2) My wife probably needs to be a paralegal first to help with household income, and the baby needs to be a bit older so childcare will be cheaper.
3) California big city commutes are bad.

Maybe #3 will get better with self-driving cars.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You realize that if you work for a consulting firm you only get paid for hours of actual billable work for the customer? A day spent making terrible arguments on a comedy forum about how much better your life will be in SD doesn't count.

Spend a week cranking out real work for 8 hours a day and get back to us with your opinion that you can do that for 40-50 hours a week consistently.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

You realize that if you work for a consulting firm you only get paid for hours of actual billable work for the customer? A day spent making terrible arguments on a comedy forum about how much better your life will be in SD doesn't count.

Spend a week cranking out real work for 8 hours a day and get back to us with your opinion that you can do that for 40-50 hours a week consistently.

You realize (and I've already written this so I'm sure you do right) that the first year would be completely internal work, with very very little billable time? And gently caress you for telling me about real hours, I've worked some lovely loving jobs working some really lovely hours. I've earned my lax time here because I put in the hours when we need them. And in fact I've been waiting on my boss literally all day to get something ready for me.

Working is the last thing I'm afraid of so stop telling me what I can and can't do it's incredible annoying.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

n8r posted:

That's not necessarily true. At least with management/strategy shops, you're paid salary but you have an application rate target for billable hours as either a fixed number or a share of total hours worked.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

You realize (and I've already written this so I'm sure you do right) that the first year would be completely internal work, with very very little billable time? And gently caress you for telling me about real hours, I've worked some lovely loving jobs working some really lovely hours. I've earned my lax time here because I put in the hours when we need them. And in fact I've been waiting on my boss literally all day to get something ready for me.

Working is the last thing I'm afraid of so stop telling me what I can and can't do it's incredible annoying.

Please don't ignore the fact that your budget is ridiculous.

Reposting.

You have nothing in your budget for medical/dental/vision. That could be $300-$500-$1000 a month for your family depending on the company.
You have nothing in your budget for 401k match.
You have nothing in your budget for accelerated debt repayment.
You have nothing in your budget for savings.
You have nothing in your budget for a second car.
You have nothing in your budget for insurance on a second car.
You are hoping to come out $300 ahead each month.
Also if you're paid biweekly budget doesn't work. As it would only be $8,076 per month ($105,000/26)*2

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Professional services that are billed by the hour are (hopefully if they aren't scamming) for a hour of direct work done by said professional.

I am asking because cranking out 40 hours of code is a hell of a lot different than delivering pizzas for 40 hours. The more I hear about the current job, the more I think it's a pretty sweet deal. You obviously aren't in a super high pressure work environment (which is sweet).

I still don't understand why KG continues to argue for things like 'maybe I could commute at 5am and come home at 2pm to avoid traffic' at this new job. It feels like you just cannot accept that this job isn't a good idea.

I think what would improve your life the most currently is for your wife to find a new non-retail job. In addition you should be pressing your boss for a raise and looking for jobs locally. You should set aside an hour a day to work on a new, more profitable skill - I'd suggest learning/writing something in whatever is the current language of the month people think is the best.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

double post

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

Professional services that are billed by the hour are (hopefully if they aren't scamming) for a hour of direct work done by said professional.

I am asking because cranking out 40 hours of code is a hell of a lot different than delivering pizzas for 40 hours. The more I hear about the current job, the more I think it's a pretty sweet deal. You obviously aren't in a super high pressure work environment (which is sweet).

I still don't understand why KG continues to argue for things like 'maybe I could commute at 5am and come home at 2pm to avoid traffic' at this new job. It feels like you just cannot accept that this job isn't a good idea.

I think what would improve your life the most currently is for your wife to find a new non-retail job. In addition you should be pressing your boss for a raise and looking for jobs locally. You should set aside an hour a day to work on a new, more profitable skill - I'd suggest learning/writing something in whatever is the current language of the month people think is the best.

Try more like 90 hours a week of grueling loving hell climbing under houses and decks, with bugs, spiderwebs, dead animals, poo poo, and more. Only to find out that your boss is basically the definition of a psychopath so they cut your pay because a customer complained you were dirty in their house after a said expedition, and you only made $400 despite working from 7:00am to 11:00pm 4 days out of 6 that week. Or when I was a carpet installer except it was noisier and I got paid slightly more for a week until my heroine addict cousin who was my boss decided to pay me $200 for 6 days of work for basically the exact same hours since he couldn't schedule worth a poo poo and hated that I was working to become a software developer on the side.

Yes I'm not in a high pressure environment, but I want to make more money. I already said I'd do the rest of that stuff. There's nothing in this industry that could be thrown at me that's worse than I've experienced, baby or not.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
None of this matters because your budget doesn't work. At the bare minimum you're not accounting for medical which is probably going to be roughly $500 a month. Now you're in the red. It doesn't even address all of the other problems concerns.

Even if you come in at $120k guaranteed you're going to be just getting by every month.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

In that budget you posted you significantly over-estimated federal income tax. You estimated $1707 per month federal withholding, it should only be like $974 even with $0 contributed to a 401k, so you have like $730 extra to work with. This appears to be because you used a tax withholding calculator as "Single" (last line of the budget screenshot you posted), so I'm guessing the CA state tax will also be less.

I also love that Bugamol posted some smartass poo poo about that budget TWICE without noticing that. Jesus Christ.

Edit oh my god three times

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Sweet. So he has an extra $700 to "budget" or $1,000 total. This allows him to contribute to his 401k at 3% ($240) and pay for medical ($300-$500). He'll still be living paycheck to paycheck every month.

He's made a "look guys I can live paycheck to paycheck in San Diego budget". It's a joke.

EDIT: Especially since a driving factor in moving was "live in a higher COLA to increase his savings %" and then he posts a budget with no savings. I'll post about 10 times until he address it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I also put an additional $400/mo towards federal w/h, so total federal w/h taxes estimated there would be $2,107 I think.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Droo posted:

In that budget you posted you significantly over-estimated federal income tax. You estimated $1707 per month federal withholding, it should only be like $974 even with $0 contributed to a 401k, so you have like $730 extra to work with. This appears to be because you used a tax withholding calculator as "Single" (last line of the budget screenshot you posted), so I'm guessing the CA state tax will also be less.

I also love that Bugamol posted some smartass poo poo about that budget TWICE without noticing that. Jesus Christ.

Edit oh my god three times

Why is it Bugamol's job to audit KG's estimation on this stuff.

If KG is thinking a budget with essentially no savings / no debt payments is appropriate for anywhere, he clearly has not learned much during the YEARS this thread has gone on.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

Why is it Bugamol's job to audit KG's estimation on this stuff.

If KG is thinking a budget with essentially no savings / no debt payments is appropriate for anywhere, he clearly has not learned much during the YEARS this thread has gone on.

What kills me is you guys are saying that I said that budget actually works (and that I'm not just exploring the costs there). Look at the very next post I wrote:

Knyteguy posted:

Yeah I dunno. I'm not assuming that no, I'm not sure what it would cover. If I was making a bunch more money I'd probably be willing to dip into savings (and pay ourselves back), but with my wife not working I'm not sure that would be wise.

Meh again I'm leaning towards no. If we found the right rental in the right place without me losing my soul to a commute, then we could probably make it work. But on such short notice I'm not sure if that's realistic.

So what I've got out of all of this is:
1) If we're going to do this, we should try to make it happen when our lease is almost up. This would make it thousands of dollars cheaper.
2) My wife probably needs to be a paralegal first to help with household income, and the baby needs to be a bit older so childcare will be cheaper.
3) California big city commutes are bad.

Maybe #3 will get better with self-driving cars.

Thanks for catching that by the way Droo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Why are you doing so much mental masturbation for something that was obviously not a good idea from the start? You could be spending all of this time doing anything moderately more interesting than this.

If you found a job somewhere that had similar cost of living as Reno in the low 6 figures I can see thinking pretty hard about it. But, again, for the hundredth time, you have so many options where you live right now. Why are you not pursuing the low hanging fruit that is local jobs?

• Locked thread