Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Nessus posted:

I thought the whole image of British cuisine being lovely was because of the nine years of rationing during the war, more than it being inherently poo poo. So obviously Big T was thinking of that.

I'd probably take Italian over British cuisine, but the latter actually is really good, especially for sweet stuff. I don't know why people persist with the idea that British cuisine is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Octy posted:

I'd probably take Italian over British cuisine, but the latter actually is really good, especially for sweet stuff. I don't know why people persist with the idea that British cuisine is bad.

Probably because of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOE0VP0EZ0M

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

concerned mom posted:

Lembas Bread was basically a Parmo

OP, please update the thread title. TIA.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Just had another strange thought (completely unrelated to my previous one, of course): if a film version of The Simarillion ever gets made they should go the Tenacious D Tribute route for Luthien's song to Mandos :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, do it all The Begun of Tigtone style.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's actually mentioned in The Scouring of the Shire how "Sharkey" melted down the big bronze statue in the center of Hobbiton that depicted the hobbit who first invented the mars bar in batter.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

As an Englishman I do tend to agree with the sentiment that our food is poo poo (and don't let anyone try to convince you that Sunday roasts are good), but we did invent Jaffa Cakes and Hobnobs soooooo....

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What was Tolkein's thought process behind making Hobbit life-spans notably longer than modern humans but not anything greater?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 2, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Probably to underscore that the present day is the "fallen" world. Same deal with Men.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Data Graham posted:

Probably to underscore that the present day is the "fallen" world. Same deal with Men.

I guess that's one part of Tolkein's lore that I never bought: that Middle Earth is actually our own world's ancient history. Although once I had a weird dream where parts of the Simarillion were getting mixed up with Colonial American History :pwn:

One thing that I'm curious about is that it's my understanding that Lord of the Rings is supposed to be Frodo's recounting of the story (as it was related to him, and Sam of course finishing it up), but if that's so then how did he know about Gollum nearly repenting when he saw Frodo and Sam asleep on the steps of Crinith Ungol?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SirPhoebos posted:

I guess that's one part of Tolkein's lore that I never bought: that Middle Earth is actually our own world's ancient history. Although once I had a weird dream where parts of the Simarillion were getting mixed up with Colonial American History :pwn:

One thing that I'm curious about is that it's my understanding that Lord of the Rings is supposed to be Frodo's recounting of the story (as it was related to him, and Sam of course finishing it up), but if that's so then how did he know about Gollum nearly repenting when he saw Frodo and Sam asleep on the steps of Crinith Ungol?

He made it up. Or Sam did. Or Sam heard it but edited it out of guilt. Or some later writer added it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Effectronica posted:

He made it up. Or Sam did. Or Sam heard it but edited it out of guilt. Or some later writer added it.

Or, more darkly, Frodo knew Gollum's innermost thoughts, through the Ring.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

I wrote a paper in high school describing the point of view used throughout the novel. We see Smeagol's point of view that once; a fox's once; Legolas' once; and I think Gandalf once. Everything else is from a hobbit's point of view, at least in terms of reading the thoughts of a character.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You get Sauron's POV once as well.

quote:

And far away, as Frodo put on the Ring and claimed it for his own, even in Sammath Naur the very heart of his realm, the Power in Barad-dûr was shaken, and the Tower trembled from its foundations to its proud and bitter crown. The Dark Lord was suddenly aware of him, and his Eye piercing all shadows looked across the plain to the door that he had made; and the magnitude of his own folly was revealed to him in a blinding flash, and all the devices of his enemies were at last laid bare. Then his wrath blazed in consuming flame, but his fear rose like a vast black smoke to choke him. For he knew his deadly peril and the thread upon which his doom now hung.

From all his policies and webs of fear and treachery, from all his stratagems and wars his mind shook free; and throughout his realm a tremor ran, his slaves quailed, and his armies halted, and his captains suddenly steerless, bereft of will, wavered and despaired. For they were forgotten. The whole mind and purpose of the Power that wielded them was now bent with overwhelming force upon the Mountain. At his summons, wheeling with a rending cry, in a last desperate race there flew, faster than the winds, the Nazgûl the Ringwraiths, and with a storm of wings they hurtled southwards to Mount Doom.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 2, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's interesting to note that all points of view are either from people Frodo could have talked to, or people he could have linked with due to the ring.

As far as the fox goes, I'll blame it on Sam making poo poo up. :v:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

euphronius posted:

You get Sauron's POV once as well.

Man I love Tolkien's writing, it just feels epic compared to the standard fantasy writing. I get that it can feel a bit dry and all at times but dang

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Levitate posted:

Man I love Tolkien's writing, it just feels epic compared to the standard fantasy writing. I get that it can feel a bit dry and all at times but dang

Indeed. Tolkien's writing is, if you'll pardon my baseness, Good poo poo.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Tolkien was a medievalist, so questions of authorship and textual interpolations fit perfectly into LotR. If there really was a Red Book of Westmarch, scholars would be debating exactly this kind of poo poo.

That also shapes how I like to view the huge body of Unfinished and Lost Tales and so on - in any given medieval corpus (say Arthur), you've got multiple different accounts of the same basic event (the Battle of Camlann is retold very differently in Malory vs. Geoffrey vs. the Stanzaic Morte Arthur) and multiple different spellings of everyone's name (Gawain vs. Walwain vs. Gwalchmai), just as you have e.g. Melko in Tales and Melkor in the Silmarillion.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

End Of Worlds posted:

Tolkien was a medievalist, so questions of authorship and textual interpolations fit perfectly into LotR. If there really was a Red Book of Westmarch, scholars would be debating exactly this kind of poo poo.

That also shapes how I like to view the huge body of Unfinished and Lost Tales and so on - in any given medieval corpus (say Arthur), you've got multiple different accounts of the same basic event (the Battle of Camlann is retold very differently in Malory vs. Geoffrey vs. the Stanzaic Morte Arthur) and multiple different spellings of everyone's name (Gawain vs. Walwain vs. Gwalchmai), just as you have e.g. Melko in Tales and Melkor in the Silmarillion.

Oooh, someone else who's read up on Arthurian things!

I did a big King Arthur megapost about a year ago (http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617881 ) but I'm strictly amateur; was really hoping an expert would come by and point out the undoubtedly huge flaws in my analysis but nobody ever did.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Man, I haven't read any Arthur since my last trip through Bulfinch. I should do something about that.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, do it all The Begun of Tigtone style.

This would be the best of all possible options. For any possible adaptation.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

If Morgoth is incapable of creating life, only perverting it to his devices, then from where did he derive the dragons?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SirPhoebos posted:

If Morgoth is incapable of creating life, only perverting it to his devices, then from where did he derive the dragons?

Yet Another Maia of Aule x20

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

Probably just the same as Balrogs and Vampires and stuff; corrupted Maia. Tolkein was actually the spiritual grandfather of Chris Metzen.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think the books only say the dragons were bred by Morgoth, not created.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

However, in some of the first drafts of the Fall of Gondolin, dragons were closer to machines than actual animals.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

concerned mom posted:

Probably just the same as Balrogs and Vampires and stuff; corrupted Maia. Tolkein was actually the spiritual grandfather of Chris Metzen.
You're might be the first person ever to liken Metzen to Tolkein. (well first person who wasn't trying to get a job at Blizzard anyway)

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

Straight up ripping pieces of his own soul off and jamming them into lizards.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ZeusJupitar posted:

Straight up ripping pieces of his own soul off and jamming them into lizards.

That's actually really accurate

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

euphronius posted:

However, in some of the first drafts of the Fall of Gondolin, dragons were closer to machines than actual animals.

:monocle:

I have to know more about this. Could you elaborate, please?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
He writes it like a fantasy elf guy would describe tanks and artillery if I recall correctly. More emphasis on the fire and steel armor/hides of the dragons.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Those are the bits that were written in the trenches during the Battle of the Somme, right?

Ynglaur posted:

I wrote a paper in high school describing the point of view used throughout the novel. We see Smeagol's point of view that once; a fox's once; Legolas' once; and I think Gandalf once. Everything else is from a hobbit's point of view, at least in terms of reading the thoughts of a character.

You just reminded me of the firework that's compared to a train, and the bit in Lórien which says Aragorn "never went there again as mortal man". The latter was presumably added by a scribe in Gondor, and so might the gloating over Sauron realising how he done hosed up, but what about the train?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vavrek posted:

:monocle:

I have to know more about this. Could you elaborate, please?

Read Book of Lost Tales 2 : Fall of Gondolin.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

House Louse posted:

Those are the bits that were written in the trenches during the Battle of the Somme, right?

1917 so no, Somme was 1916.

Probably not literally wrote in the trenches though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

House Louse posted:

You just reminded me of the firework that's compared to a train, and the bit in Lórien which says Aragorn "never went there again as mortal man". The latter was presumably added by a scribe in Gondor, and so might the gloating over Sauron realising how he done hosed up, but what about the train?
Ooh, good one. I had forgotten about that. There are definitely a few things out of time. The mention of matches in The Hobbit is the other that comes to mind.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The Fall of Gondolin was written after he'd been invalided back home and was in hospital. IIRC it was during his first recurrence of the trench fever that got him out.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Christopher Lee has died: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11666316/christopher-lee-dies-live.html

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Yeah, this day is done for me.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Good-bye Chris, and thanks for being a part of this strange journey.

I started my re-read of The Hobbit, and a question I've had for a while has resurfaced: even though they've been corrupted by Morgoth, do Orcs still have the immortality of the Elves? This question came up because the Goblins (Orcs? Just what is the difference?) remember Orcrist and Glamding as weapons of a kingdom that's been gone for thousands of years.