Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

The secret mission of every player is to look like they collected all their gear out of a garbage dumpster.

So wear the green pants, but the jersey needs to be a budget practice jersey, inside out with a logo so faded you can't read it, mismatched socks, and giant holes. Gloves with literally no palms anymore is a bonus so when someone on the bench whines they have a hole you can show off how lovely your gloves are.

Don't forget the mirrored visor!

Hmm good point, but peacockin' is also a good choice too...

One of the guys I play with found his father-in-law's gloves from the 50s. They are huge and looking like welders gloves.

Also weird is more padding on my pants. Went from a cheap pair of Rebook to a pair of Nexus 800s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

Found a video clip of his hardest shot competition win with 78 mph.

What the poo poo, I want one of these at my rink. Mostly so I can see my 25mph slapper in action.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So how do pant shells work? I found these rad motherfuckers:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/reebok-hockey-pants-pro-stock-shell-padded-min.html

Do they just go over my current pants? Should they be the same size as my pants? My jolly green giant transition will be one step away from being complete if I can get these bad boys.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Pleads posted:

Is the hilarity "it's your loving job to make sure rosters are valid, I'm not paying poo poo"? That would be my reaction.

I've seen it go both ways. With a team captain flipping out for 5 minutes because some dude pretending to be someone else on the roster got kicked out immediately and a few others where teams dropped like $60 to roster check 3 players on a team and all of the players checked out.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So how do pant shells work? I found these rad motherfuckers:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/reebok-hockey-pants-pro-stock-shell-padded-min.html

Do they just go over my current pants? Should they be the same size as my pants? My jolly green giant transition will be one step away from being complete if I can get these bad boys.

Shells usually go over a girdle, especially those. Cloth shells (which are just pants covers) can go over pants.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hockles posted:

Shells usually go over a girdle, especially those. Cloth shells (which are just pants covers) can go over pants.

Ahh, yeah just noticed the padded part.

So this is something I could just slide on over my pants?
http://www.purehockey.com/tackla-senior-pantgirdle-shells-2015-19735/dark_green

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Ahh, yeah just noticed the padded part.

So this is something I could just slide on over my pants?
http://www.purehockey.com/tackla-senior-pantgirdle-shells-2015-19735/dark_green

Exactly. I've been using a shell over my worn out faded gross Tackla's for the past 10 years or so.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

That's actually a neat idea, but man, with a 4 suspension max, half my league would be banned.

How the gently caress are people getting suspended that much? Most places I've played tend to ban you after three or four suspensions. The players in your league need to chill the gently caress out.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

D C posted:

Exactly. I've been using a shell over my worn out faded gross Tackla's for the past 10 years or so.

So wait, is this a thing I could throw over my nexus 600/800's?? (I forget exactly which model I have) ed: not that I'm going to anytime soon, I'm mostly just curious so that I'm not relegated to Always-Black pants.

Habibi posted:

Playing D is awesome. Scoring goals is nice, but so is stripping dangling fools of the puck.

calandryll posted:

Then they get all pissy that you stole an easy puck and start hitting the boards with their stick. D is the best.

Yeah it was fun going up against one of the dudes from my LTP class that I got to know from open skates before we started the class. He ended up on the other team that we played a couple nights ago and plays wing exclusively - he's actually a little bit better of a skater than me but it felt pretty good poking the puck away from him on a 1 on 1 breakout at the ½ boards.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 29, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

D C posted:

Me too

Also the con may be up for me. A few of us from this thread are going to skate tonight and someone is bringing a go pro.

Bonus points is the airline likely knocked off all of my edges so I'm probably going to be extra bad. Can't wait.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

sellouts posted:

Bonus points is the airline likely knocked off all of my edges so I'm probably going to be extra bad. Can't wait.

Did you just leave your skates floating loose in the luggage compartment or what?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nah, they're on the outside of the bag though, so when they're treating my bag like the opening sequence of Ace Ventura Pet Detective I am guessing it'll take a few bumps.

They ended up being fine though. Super fun to skate with Bradford and bewbies again though, although it was 4v4 which exposes everything that I'm bad at in hockey.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Where y'all skating?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Last night at the pond in Austin. So was 4v4 which isn't ideal but I didn't lose my rear end and everyone paid so it was a win. Ice was surprisingly good, cool little facility they've opened since I left.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Plus since it's not pond hockey, it doesn't expose what I'm bad at in hockey. :haw:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The hockey part?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
When I'm playing D I'm constantly getting beat to the outside on 1-on-1s. I think my positioning is okay, I just can't keep up when they turn on the jets. How do I make myself harder to beat and what do I do to recover when I am beaten?

I did give a couple nice poke checks tonight to guys who are a lot better than me. Watching the chest works really well. The problem is if they just angle to the outside of me instead of coming in and trying a move they're gone.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You get faster. Sorry it's simple as that. If you're getting beat outside you need to skate better unless you can play contact and bury the guy.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

As in: they skate outside and then are able to beat you back to the post?

Where are they in relation to you as they enter the zone? Your outside shoulder should be in line with their inside shoulder. What's your gap?

If the man gets level with you, then you're beat. Turn around and skate as hard as you possibly can straight to the post.

e: To sellouts point, if you're saying you simply can't keep up speed-wise, then yeah. You're kind of hosed until you can skate backward at a pretty good clip.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 30, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
^^^^ What's a good dman positional video to go along with/expound on the above?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is the best overview I've found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aXsrNrT5RI

It doesn't cover zone entries though.

These ones sort of do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amnnMOUko64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHJcYL0VEsA

Unfortunately I've found these tips hard to use in practice because odds are good that your opponent is faster skating forward than you are skating backwards. So you're gonna get burned a lot. The only solution is to get faster.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xzzy posted:

Unfortunately I've found these tips hard to use in practice because odds are good that your opponent is faster skating forward than you are skating backwards. So you're gonna get burned a lot. The only solution is to get faster.

For a lot of my women's league opponents, I'm at least as fast backwards as they are forwards with the puck, but my lateral mobility going backward isn't so good and it's hard to judge how fast I need to go and how/when I might need to move to the side. So I usually end up skating forward to push them to the outside just because I'm more confident that way.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah, basically anyone that you're evenly matched with is going to be able to go faster forwards than you can go backwards, no?

That being said I think a lot of times I'm overthinking the play and I stop moving my feet.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Getting beat outside is a fact of life of one-on-ones. For defensemen at any level, there will be a forward or two with enough talent that it's inevitable. It's actually not the worst thing in the world; if a forward takes the puck outside, it means you've denied him/her the most tasty scoring opportunities. Letting the forward try to take you outside is a legit defensive strategy; getting beat outside is not. You gotta work on the difference.

This is the most important part of the videos for beginners. You want the forward to go outside.

When an attacker goes outside, they have to give up a few lateral strides to you, which should balance out your pivot. (Keep practicing your pivots, and always pivot towards the puck.) The guy in the video suggests pressuring the forward outside and taking them to the boards/corner. At the beginner level, this is dangerous: your chance of success is lower, and the chance of your teammates properly backchecking to help you out when poo poo hits the fan is lower too. Instead, keep backskating in line with the circles, watch the passing lane, and deny them the chance to come back inside. However,

Dangerllama posted:

If the man gets level with you, then you're beat. Turn around and skate as hard as you possibly can straight to the post.

When you're doing this, you have two jobs. 1: Don't let the attacker cut inside on you. 2: Look out for a pass, especially if the forward seems to have gone way farther outside than was necessary. They're probably buying time for the second attacker to catch up. Keep your head on a swivel. If you're sure neither of those will happen, then you want to engage. If you're not sure, let them take the shot, and deny any rebounds. Your goalie should be able to handle the shot (but it's a beginner league so, welp).

prom candy posted:

Yeah, basically anyone that you're evenly matched with is going to be able to go faster forwards than you can go backwards, no?
Puck carrying slows you down, and going to the outside wastes strides moving laterally rather than at you. It's not cut and dry. The weakside guy on a 2-on-1 or 3-on-2, though, is probably faster than you.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 30, 2015

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Also, new forwards: If you know that you're going to be too tired to sprint down the ice and backcheck, then you should change in the offensive zone. In normal circumstances, backchecking is your most important job on the ice. If you change at half-speed while the other team is taking you on an odd man rush, you're letting your team down.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Scoring goals is the most important job as a forward if you want to win imo.

As a beginner keep your feet moving. Force to outside. Don't pinch and get good at reading a play and getting the right / best jump on the puck. Reacting late and not moving your feet is the biggest problem at beginner hockey.

Keep it simple when you're trying to remember to skate with 2 edges and not fall down

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

PFlats posted:

you should change in the offensive zone.

Hahahaha good luck getting any beginner to do that. Changing on the back check is literally the only change I see in Bronze. After a 3-minute shift usually.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Yeah, I don't expect a new player to learn all of that at once. Read it over, take one or two things away from it, and work on them. Giving advice is hard when you haven't seen someone play.

sellouts posted:

Scoring goals is the most important job as a forward if you want to win imo.
The backchecking rule is a red herring. :ssh: If you're too tired to dig deep and backcheck, then you're too tired to make a huge difference in the offensive zone either, but nobody wants to admit that to themselves. Getting your team to score goals is your most important job, and sometimes the best way to do that is to get someone else on the ice in your place. If you've changed in the offensive zone, you're probably not giving up an odd man rush on that drive.

This goes triple in leagues where you can't change on an icing but I can't imagine any adult leagues do that.

Hahahaha good luck getting any beginner to do that. Changing on the back check is literally the only change I see in Bronze. After a 3-minute shift usually.
That's why I gave it its own post!

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

prom candy posted:

When I'm playing D I'm constantly getting beat to the outside on 1-on-1s. I think my positioning is okay, I just can't keep up when they turn on the jets.

Guess who did this to me numerous times on tuesday?
This motherfucker right here

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been told a few times if you're defending a 1 on 1 and you're skating backwards, transition to forward strides when the puck hits 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock. Sooner than that and you take yourself out of the play, later than that the other skater is going to be long gone.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Always go for a huge hip check when the puck hits 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock :smugdog:

never actually do this

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 30, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nitramster posted:

I felt really bad. I kept confusing you with the other dude wearing red white and blue who I have no problem blowing by.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Nitramster posted:

He's such a dick on the ice. I have video to prove it, too.

(he's pretty chill on the ice)

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

sellouts posted:

I felt really bad. I kept confusing you with the other dude wearing red white and blue who I have no problem blowing by.

You never went for the shot so don't feel too bad. You were just teaching me when to pivot!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Bradf0rd posted:

(he's pretty chill)

Just post the audio from bewbies bar down shot and the reaction thereafter

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Ha ha i haven't played in a year and then spent the day drinking in the sun so wow great idea for hockey right? Only puked once and we still won. Too bad the team has a bunch of people who don't know the system or any positioning

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

First summer game tonight. We lost 6-3.

The opposing team had nearly twice as many players as us, and had an actual coach in slacks and a tie who actually had set lines and called line changes. An actual loving coach. It wasn't just some teammate or something, it was a guy who had to have been in his 60's.

It's a loving men's loving summer loving C league. Are you loving serious.

Plus their fans were piece of poo poo bro douchebags who tried to stand behind the bench until the refs kicked them off, and apparently they threatened some of our team's girlfriends with unwarranted "parking lot" bullshit. Just a shitshow.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

how do you get girlfriends to go to games?

serious question: how are you liking those eagle gloves? worth the premium?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Only had two D lines tonight and the extra ice time was awesome but holy mother of loving pearl my legs were straight up noodles late in the 3rd.
Ended up with a 5-5 tie out of the team that blew the doors off of the other ½ of our LTP class's team. :toot: ...had the lead late in the 3rd and we sat on it trying to play defensively :negative:

Ed: oh yeah, it was also olympic-sized ice. That might be part of my noodle leg woes. (hah nah it's cause my conditioning is crap)

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Finally back to hockey this week after 3 off. :woop: But I did manage to hit the ice in the meantime, so I shouldn't be too dead! I had a great stick&puck last week, having the ice all to myself again. I practiced my backwards crossunders (stiff but coming along), my slapshot (a lot of fun when I nail it), and then I worked on my worst skill: puckhandling.

I threw 4 or 5 pucks on the ice and just dangled around them for a while, mixing it up when I lost or bumped a puck. I definitely noticed it was easier when using my shorter stick, but I'm not usually dancing around 4 or 5 guys at once, so I think it's worth it to stick with the longer one.