Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Does the axii improvement that makes it work better in conversations have to be activated to work?
Also, i haven't really seen any bad consequences to using it constantly yet. Anyone tried a run with and without using it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Nakar posted:

My main roleplaying decision this run is to pretty much never trust a monster and especially never to trust a spirit. No matter how harmless the monster may seem or how dickbag the human involved might be, that monster's getting killed, period.

Incidentally this has been great for my decoction collection.

I was like this throughout most of the early game when it was just comically oppressed peasants tasking you to kill the monster that ate their baby. Since getting to novigrad though I've been much more lenient with monsters since the people there seem to just be straight dicks and the contracts I've done so far have had me sympathising with the monster more. Burn baby burn.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What's everyone's opinion on the different Witcher armor sets? What's the difference between them all? I'm level 12 and I finally went and did the quest for the Griffin set. From what I've gathered, the break down is something like this (for the initial sets):

Cat: Light armor, focuses on attack power.
Griffin: Medium armor, focuses on sign power.
Bear: Heavy armor, focuses on adrenaline.

Is this correct? Seems like cat armor would be the "best" overall.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mordiceius posted:

What's everyone's opinion on the different Witcher armor sets? What's the difference between them all? I'm level 12 and I finally went and did the quest for the Griffin set. From what I've gathered, the break down is something like this (for the initial sets):

All three are really good, it just kinda depends on your style and build. Sign-heavy build can make use of Griffin, physical builds can make use of all of them depending on how you go about it but especially Cat, and alchemy can use Bear well but can also find uses for the others.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

There isn't really a "best," from what I can tell, which I find really refreshing. Cat is the best if you want to be a glass cannon who blows things up with fast attacks (and is probably the best on difficulties lower than Blood and Broken Bones); Griffin is the best if you want to melt things with Igni and have enough Stamina regen to cast Signs pretty much back-to-back; Bear is the best if you want to be a berserker who builds Adrenaline quickly and then blows it on super-powerful Signs or cleave things in half with heavy attacks.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The armors also have a corresponding general skill that boosts their particular bonuses. With the griffin armor, weapons, and skill, for example, you can have like a 90% bonus to sign intensity which is as hilarious as it sounds. Beating a half dozen bandits by setting (and then keeping) them all on fire never gets old.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Also bear (hurr) in mind that there's a talent that boosts heavy attack damage and vitality by 5% for each piece of heavy armor you own. So a heavy armor build can be more of a deliberate, one-shot, counter-attack approach than Cat.

* edit - vvv - kinda! Cat is dandy swordsman adventurer (kinda Landskneckt-y), Bear is Viking berserker.

isk fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 28, 2015

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Bear is the coolest looking though, so if you want to be the prettiest Geralt...

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Krogort posted:

What is in this Cave ?

It is guarded by lvl31 Wild Hunt ghosts and I encountered a walled door barring my way after a while, the minimap hint that there is a bunch of stuff behind that door including a ?.

It's used for some endgame story related stuff.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Mordiceius posted:

Armor at its core is more like this:

Light Armor: Fast stamina regen, lower defense
Medium Armor: Normal stamina regen, regular defense
Heavy Armor: Slow stamina regen, higher defense

Those are the tooltips for the weight classes, further augmentations is with the 3 yellow passive abilities that focus on what type of armor you're wearing. Those I don't remember off the top of my head. But I think it's Light: more powerful light attacks. Medium: Uhhhhhh, don't remember but signs sounds right and Heavy: more powerful heavy attacks.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 28, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Eonwe posted:

So far my way of responding has been generally: If someone puts out a contract, gently caress you pay me. If I meet someone and they need help and are nice: I'll generally go out of my way to help and I'll always take money offered. If I meet an rear end in a top hat then I'm an rear end in a top hat back even if I think they'll attack me and I pick the most dickish responses I can.

I tend to refuse money if someone gave me money first, unless it was a contract.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Griffin would be the best for my playstyle, but it's the worst looking armor of the witcher sets. :( And for some reason there's no change in appearance going from superior to mastercrafted.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Those are the tooltips for the weight classes, further augmentations is with the 3 yellow passive abilities that focus on what type of armor you're wearing. Those I don't remember off the top of my head. But I think it's Light: more powerful light attacks. Medium: Uhhhhhh, don't remember but signs sounds right and Heavy: more powerful heavy attacks.

Cat School Techniques (Light): fast attack damage and critical damage bonus
Griffin School Techniques (Medium): sign intensity and stamina regeneration
Bear School Techniques (Heavy): heavy attack damage and adrenaline generation

Wiseblood posted:

Griffin would be the best for my playstyle, but it's the worst looking armor of the witcher sets. :( And for some reason there's no change in appearance going from superior to mastercrafted.

This is one of the reasons I'm considering respeccing to Alchemy. The Griffin armor just looks kind of dopey to me.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 28, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Harrow posted:

Cat School Techniques (Light): fast attack damage and critical damage bonus
Griffin School Techniques (Medium): sign intensity and stamina regeneration
Bear School Techniques (Heavy): heavy attack damage and adrenaline generation

Half right, I'll take it! Not bad from recalling from memory while I'm at work. :v:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

bobthethurd posted:

What the gently caress do I sell?! I almost can't carry anymore poo poo! I'm losing control of my life!

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but maintaining a supply of All the herbs is annoying because it makes scrolling through miles of icons a pain.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

I tend to refuse money if someone gave me money first, unless it was a contract.

its not like theres any shortage of it, and this game is pretty good about repaying small kindnesses out of nowhere

also if youre having inventory overload issues, go to the vagelbund estate and do the horse races there. youll get nicer saddlebags

Beeez
May 28, 2012
So, question from someone who hasn't played it yet. There's a lot of talk of "using all the tools at your disposal", but people are also saying one should pick a specific "build" to use. How are you supposed to use all the tools at your disposal if you're only supposed to focus on one branch of the tree?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

gently caress the quest where you have to fend off the horde from the guys doing a ritual on the pillaged island.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Beeez posted:

So, question from someone who hasn't played it yet. There's a lot of talk of "using all the tools at your disposal", but people are also saying one should pick a specific "build" to use. How are you supposed to use all the tools at your disposal if you're only supposed to focus on one branch of the tree?

the truth is once you get a feel for the games mechanics you can just wade into the fray, tools be damned

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Beeez posted:

Just because you focus on signs or whatever it doesn't mean that bombs and potions become useless.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Beeez posted:

I can't speak for the first game, but in The Witcher 2 and 3, you're capable with all three trees right from the start. What you do when you go down a tree is going from "capable" to "goddamn incredible" in that aspect of combat, while staying capable in the other two. Another way of saying it is, if you specialize in signs, you're still going to want to make good use of potions, non-damaging bombs, and oils, and you're still going to want to be quick on your feet and good at the sword fighting. Similarly, if you specialize in swordplay, you're still going to need to make use of your signs (especially signs like Yrden for fighting ghostly enemies, or Aard/Igni for knocking flying enemies out of the air) and alchemy consumables.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

NESguerilla posted:

gently caress the quest where you have to fend off the horde from the guys doing a ritual on the pillaged island.

Defense quests are awful. Monsters have a tendency to completely ignore the guy setting them on fire because by god there's a peasant standing around who needs mauling!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

NESguerilla posted:

I did this last night and it sucked, but if you keep rolling around eventually you can space them out enough that you can take one-ish at a time. The hag will always be throwing poo poo at you though.

Btw there's a neat turquoise cuirass in a hole behind where the pellar was sitting.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Beeez posted:

For all my bellyaching especially if you aren't going death march you can basically dabble in everything from the start, oils are still useful even without investing heavily in alchemy. If spreading yourself out is your goal you generally are going to want to focus on impactful skills (as you can slot a maximum of 12 at any one time, so spreading out that is 3/4 per tree) like the ones that give you new sign modes or tools but it is doable, alchemy can reward you even just crafting a few key poitions that supplement your swording or spelling and vice versa.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Beeez posted:

Yeah, you usually want to play to your build's strengths, but you still want to use other tools if you start running into trouble. A baseline Yrden doesn't mean it's garbage, it's just that I use it less often, like when my dodge invulnerability/boosted heavy attack counters with improved oils aren't adequate. For a specific example, I truck humanoids and troll / fiend / drowner types easily, but wraiths can be more difficult without a sign or two.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Just killed a succubus because there was no option to bang. GOTY

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Broken Cog posted:

It sucks that the troll decoction seems really good, because I don't want to murder any trolls for their mutagen.

On that subject, where can I find a succubus to slaughter? I've found one quest-related one that I declined to kill, am I screwed on getting the decoction?

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Blue Raider posted:

the truth is once you get a feel for the games mechanics you can just wade into the fray, tools be damned

ya, after a certain point the game just becomes trivial even on Death March, and since throughout the whole game you'll basically be facing the same loving reskinned poo poo with the same loving movesets even if they're now level 30 instead of level 4 for some inexplicable reason you dont have to adapt or change what youre doing even a little bit to beat them, it just takes longer. the "difficulty" in this is entirely reliant on giving monsters more HP and more damage rather than actually changing how they behave, there is literally 0 "making you think and prepare like a witcher" involved or whatever bullshit people are spewing

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Has anyone found a good explanation for what maxing out your Toxicity actually does? I know it means that I can't take any more potions, but apart from that, it doesn't seem to have any drawbacks. It makes my life bar all yellow, I just wondered if it did anything else.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This game has the least dark "darkness" I've ever seen in a game. I'm riding around at 3 am and it looks like a foggy afternoon. This game would have gone well with a pitch black night, where you need to navigate by torchlight and more dangerous stuff lurking around like Dragon's Dogma had.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

The Insect Court posted:

On that subject, where can I find a succubus to slaughter? I've found one quest-related one that I declined to kill, am I screwed on getting the decoction?

There is another one in a side quest in Skellige, but she's not really "bad" either.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

This game has the least dark "darkness" I've ever seen in a game. I'm riding around at 3 am and it looks like a foggy afternoon. This game would have gone well with a pitch black night, where you need to navigate by torchlight and more dangerous stuff lurking around like Dragon's Dogma had.

The darkest caves do require the Cat potion, at least unless you'd rather use a torch. Night time is pretty bright though. Unusually, I think it's actually much darker during daytime when it rains.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Gunder posted:

The darkest caves do require the Cat potion, at least unless you'd rather use a torch. Night time is pretty bright though. Unusually, I think it's actually much darker during daytime when it rains.

That's because there's moonlight during nighttime, which apparently people don't realize provides plenty of light when you're not in the middle of a city.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

You are playing a mutant with cat eyes

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Pellisworth posted:

You are playing a mutant with cat eyes

A mutant that's incapable of jumping two foot fences when his sword's out, apparently.

Seriously guys the realism card's a bit played out at this point, lol.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

poptart_fairy posted:

A mutant that's incapable of jumping two foot fences when his sword's out, apparently.

How are those two things at all related and what does either have to do with "realism"?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

poptart_fairy posted:

counterpoint nobody cares

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

VDay posted:

How are those two things at all related and what does either have to do with "realism"?

People run in to counter any criticism aimed at the game with stuff that's "realistic" for the setting. It's mad. People can dislike aspects of the game without it being seen as a total failure, guys!

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I crafted a Swallow to give to the girl that was attacked by the Griffin. How do I actually give it to her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I crafted a Swallow to give to the girl that was attacked by the Griffin. How do I actually give it to her?

Talk to the herbalist and there's a conversation option for it.