Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Talk to the herbalist and there's a conversation option for it.

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

poptart_fairy posted:

People run in to counter any criticism aimed at the game with stuff that's "realistic" for the setting. It's mad. People can dislike aspects of the game without it being seen as a total failure, guys!

You're a bit dumb. I don't think people saw "This game has bright nights" as much of a criticism.
Hell, it's brighter outside here during the nights in the summer.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Harrow posted:

There isn't really a "best," from what I can tell, which I find really refreshing. Cat is the best if you want to be a glass cannon who blows things up with fast attacks (and is probably the best on difficulties lower than Blood and Broken Bones); Griffin is the best if you want to melt things with Igni and have enough Stamina regen to cast Signs pretty much back-to-back; Bear is the best if you want to be a berserker who builds Adrenaline quickly and then blows it on super-powerful Signs or cleave things in half with heavy attacks.

Ah. I've been playing on Blood and Broken Bones, though my focus has been on light attacks/dodging.

I'm 35 hours in and I still don't get adrenaline points. Can someone please explain this concept to an idiot like me.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
Of course this already exists: http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/37lz9d/the_modding_begins/

Trigger Warning: Reddit.

Re: Nights. Needing to carry a torch or drink cat potions every time it's past 6pm would be annoying as balls.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
This game is very pretty guys. Also, I think I love the Ursine set too much (I liked the basic Ursine armor more, but...).

PureRok fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 29, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Archimago posted:

Of course this already exists: http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/37lz9d/the_modding_begins/

Trigger Warning: Reddit.

Re: Nights. Needing to carry a torch or drink cat potions every time it's past 6pm would be annoying as balls.

I'm glad of it

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

So I've just finished (presumably late-game stuff?) Battle of Kaer Morhen. I honestly thought that would be very, very close to the end but the way it panned out seems to indicate that there's a decent chunk of story to go?

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
So what's the deal with this xp bug that people are talking about on the forums? Are quests that are grey (that is, a certain level below you) not supposed to give any xp at all, or like a reduced amount or something?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

NESguerilla posted:

This game has the least dark "darkness" I've ever seen in a game. I'm riding around at 3 am and it looks like a foggy afternoon. This game would have gone well with a pitch black night, where you need to navigate by torchlight and more dangerous stuff lurking around like Dragon's Dogma had.

I was surprised at how high the recommended gamma setting was. I dialled it down a bit from what it suggested and it's better at night, and you really need some sort of light source or Cat in caves and dungeons.

edit: that reddit link from last page triggered my work's "Adult content" warning. Turns out the reddit age-gating confirmation page is enough to set it off, even when there's no actual nsfw content in there.

Memento fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 29, 2015

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Mordiceius posted:

Ah. I've been playing on Blood and Broken Bones, though my focus has been on light attacks/dodging.

I'm 35 hours in and I still don't get adrenaline points. Can someone please explain this concept to an idiot like me.

Adrenaline points are built up by doing damage, getting hit reduces them. They boost sword damage by 10% per pip (I think), certain talents can consume them. Rage management lets you spam signs in exchange for adrenaline which works nicely with high crit damage.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

PurplieNurplie posted:

So what's the deal with this xp bug that people are talking about on the forums? Are quests that are grey (that is, a certain level below you) not supposed to give any xp at all, or like a reduced amount or something?

Quests that 6 levels lower than you give you none at all.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

• Adrenaline is gained whenever you do damage in melee to an enemy. These points are divided into three individual "stacks" called adrenaline points.
  • Some talents allow you to gain adrenaline in other ways than just melee combat, such as by using the crossbow or casting signs.
  • Adrenaline is lost by taking damage, and depletes over time when you aren't in combat mode.
  • For each point of adrenaline you have accrued, you will do more damage in melee combat. It's similar to the combo systems from Arkham, etc.--the longer you go without taking a hit, the more damage each successive attack will do.
  • Some talents can alter how adrenaline benefits you. For example, by increasing Sign Intensity with each point of adrenaline.
  • Some powerful attacks consume adrenaline--the Whirlwind attack from the Fast Attack Style talent tree, and the Rend Attack from the Strong Attack Style tree.
  • Ciri can use adrenaline to fuel special attacks as well, though these attacks aren't unlocked until later on in the game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

NESguerilla posted:

This game has the least dark "darkness" I've ever seen in a game. I'm riding around at 3 am and it looks like a foggy afternoon. This game would have gone well with a pitch black night, where you need to navigate by torchlight and more dangerous stuff lurking around like Dragon's Dogma had.

Yeah I think it's super weird every time when it's 3 am and the sun is rising. Especially because otherwise, the sun seems to work normally? Like it gets dark around 6 or 7.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Lugaloco posted:

So I've just finished (presumably late-game stuff?) Battle of Kaer Morhen. I honestly thought that would be very, very close to the end but the way it panned out seems to indicate that there's a decent chunk of story to go?

You've got a good 5-7 hours of story left I would say.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Has anyone else on the PS4 found that since the last patch they can kind of easily outrun the world in Novigrad? Like if I sprint in the city I wind up in a world of big flat boxes with blurry textures that make the N64 look good. I was running back and forth on a quest and would have to sit for like 10 seconds waiting for the world to load, then a few seconds more for it to be populated with the NPCs I needed to talk to. The wilderness and smaller towns are fine, it's just Novigrad that seems to be affected.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I am not sure how much game that I've gone through is story quest and what is side quest because it's all so good it just mixes together in some sort of delicious RPG curry.

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004

Wiseblood posted:

Griffin would be the best for my playstyle, but it's the worst looking armor of the witcher sets. :( And for some reason there's no change in appearance going from superior to mastercrafted.

There is a change, but it's just more chainmail appearing.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Wachepti posted:

You've got a good 5-7 hours of story left I would say.

Jesus Christ this game just keeps on going (in a good way).

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
How do I respec? Also is Arenarea the rarest ingredient in existence or am I just bad at finding it because god d*ng I am having trouble getting the last piece.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Darth Windu posted:

How do I respec? Also is Arenarea the rarest ingredient in existence or am I just bad at finding it because god d*ng I am having trouble getting the last piece.

Just buy it from an herbalist

Has CD Projekt said whether or not the fix for the quest xp bug will be retroactive?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Just buy it from an herbalist

Has CD Projekt said whether or not the fix for the quest xp bug will be retroactive?

They haven't said anything about retroactive xp. Bummer, too. I might just need to quit playing for awhile.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Darth Windu posted:

Potion of Cleansing or something to that effect. Some mid to high-tier herbalists (parts of Novigrad and Skellige) have it for 1000 crowns. Keira has one too if you haven't gotten far into the game yet.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PurplieNurplie posted:

I think it's more serious than that, some players have reported story missions and side missions giving no XP with little rhyme or reason.

I was surprised that I didn't wake up to a patch. 1.04 has done nothing but make the game worse from my perspective. FPS drop, mad NPC pop-in, and now this XP bug were all not present in 1.02 or 1.03.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Just had to slaughter Whoreson Jr

Noticed that one of the hanging dead girls turned red when I used my vision...

Also what is the name of the serial killer mission and where does it start?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
How do I get past the big stupid wall some idiot designer decided to block the way onto Unvik?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I think it's super weird every time when it's 3 am and the sun is rising. Especially because otherwise, the sun seems to work normally? Like it gets dark around 6 or 7.

How many players are really dumb enough not to know about high northern latitudes? Have you not heard of the midnight sun?

The sun rises at 3 and sets at 9. The game is set in midsummer in the north. This is normal even for Earth, which is where the game doesn't take place.

God gamers bitch and bitch and bitch about nights not being dark enough and then bitch three times as hard when it's as dark as they asked. Every loving game.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Arglebargle III posted:

How many players are really dumb enough not to know about high northern latitudes? Have you not heard of the midnight sun?

The sun rises at 3 and sets at 9. The game is set in midsummer in the north. This is normal even for Earth, which is where the game doesn't take place.

God gamers bitch and bitch and bitch about nights not being dark enough and then bitch three times as hard when it's as dark as they asked. Every loving game.

Unless you're joking around you seem way more angsty about this than anyone else I've seen bring it up.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Ok, i have not waded through the entire thread to see if this has been mentioned or not, but I think i found a plothole in 'family matters'.

If Annie fled and was carried off into the woods where she meets the crones who tell her they can rid her of her pregnancy for a year of service, how did she have the miscarriage in the castle? Did she go back to lose the kid then flee again? Or did she agree to it, they caused her to miscarry and then she fled to the woods to start her year of service.

Also did anyone else pick up on the fact that the Bloody Baron probably raped her in a drunken stupor one night to get her pregnant? Because its obvious from the storyline that they probably were not making the beast with two backs that frequently, considering she loathed him.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Verranicus posted:

Unless you're joking around you seem way more angsty about this than anyone else I've seen bring it up.

Not joking, I'm really angry about video games!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cimber posted:

Ok, i have not waded through the entire thread to see if this has been mentioned or not, but I think i found a plothole in 'family matters'.

If Annie fled and was carried off into the woods where she meets the crones who tell her they can rid her of her pregnancy for a year of service, how did she have the miscarriage in the castle? Did she go back to lose the kid then flee again? Or did she agree to it, they caused her to miscarry and then she fled to the woods to start her year of service.

Also did anyone else pick up on the fact that the Bloody Baron probably raped her in a drunken stupor one night to get her pregnant? Because its obvious from the storyline that they probably were not making the beast with two backs that frequently, considering she loathed him.

She made a deal with the crones some time before. Whatever came and kidnapped her was just making sure she upheld her part of the bargain.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Cimber posted:

she visited the crones before the abortion.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cimber posted:

She backed out of the deal and got a protective charm from the Peller. When the Baron beat her the night she ran away she lost the talisman, triggering the abortion and her abduction by the Crones.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Gotcha. I was wondering about that. The entire storyline was just hosed from begining to ending, with extra credit for the part where you have to protect the baron and the fetus and get it buried to turn into a helpful spirit

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Have you finished the quest? Because it gets worse than that.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Lugaloco posted:

Jesus Christ this game just keeps on going (in a good way).

It seems CDProjekt took to heart the criticism that Witcher 2 was too short.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cimber posted:

Gotcha. I was wondering about that. The entire storyline was just hosed from begining to ending, with extra credit for the part where you have to protect the baron and the fetus and get it buried to turn into a helpful spirit

This part convinced me that there may have been something good in the Baron after his lifetime of being a piece of infectious human waste.

I had already let the spirit under the hill free though, so I guess everyone's fates were sealed in the matter already?

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I read you get much less experience on Death March. While I noticed I didn't level at the same time I did on a lower difficulty I didn't think much of it. Does anyone know how much less and can you still hit max level on Death March?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Gwent is awesome. How do I find more Gwent? I haven't had a game since the first one at the inn.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Gwent is awesome. How do I find more Gwent? I haven't had a game since the first one at the inn.

You can challenge almost every single shopkeeper and blacksmith in the second zone and onwards. Additionally there will be "Experienced" Gwent players you can win unique cards from, you'll pick up the quest for these from a board in one of the main hubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012

PureRok posted:

This game is very pretty guys. Also, I think I love the Ursine set too much (I liked the basic Ursine armor more, but...).

The long coats look way more bad rear end. Where can I start the Ursine Treasure Hunt? I have a couple pieces already but I think they are the enhanced versions.