Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Anyone else notice that pork bellies are coming down in price?

Last week I bought two cases (~27 pounds, skinless) for $2.99 a pound. I'm used to paying $3.80-$4. I was pretty stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

atothesquiz posted:

Last week I bought two cases (~27 pounds, skinless) for $2.99 a pound. I'm used to paying $3.80-$4. I was pretty stoked.

Hipster foodies moving on now that its Ramps season or something something.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

atothesquiz posted:

Yeah I was happy when I bought a few cases last month that they ended up being like $1.89/lb, had to drive 30 min in to Ohio to pick them up though. Anything around Pittsburgh was over $3/lb easily.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Yeah pork belly seems to have dropped a bit. The last case I bought was under 1.69 a pound.

Beef on the other hand is running around with its middle finger raised up.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Beef on the other hand is running around with its middle finger raised up.

Despite beef sale actually dropping in the US. Supply and Demand is just broken.

holttho
May 21, 2007

"NOT ENOUGH PROFIT! RAISE PRICES!" :byodood:

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Been eatin' on this for a couple weeks now. God drat, getting good pork makes such a difference.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Spent the last two days reading this thread. Now I'm dying to make some bacon.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
This seems to be the right thread for my question:
I bought a kg of horsemeat shortly after christmas. It is vacuum sealed and frozen in my freezer. Chain of cooling was always observed, no thawing. Do you think I can still use it? I'd hate to bin it. I simply forgot I had it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. Eat that horse.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Well frozen meat keeps for an extraordinarily long time; especially very lean meat like horse. There are people alive today who have eaten wooly mammoth and said it was pretty decent.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like to enjoy a side of rice and beans with my charcuterie it is a great way to give it a "latin" kick!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yes, you can stop with the lovely gimmick posts now

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

Yes, you can stop with the lovely gimmick posts now

Thanks for the friendly reminder, however not a gimmick. I usually don't freeze meat and had no idea how long it keeps. But it is hard to get horse in Bavaria so I bought it and brought it frozen from somewhere else. And I'd rather not bin food unnecessarily.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
He is talking to Nooner.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
oh I see. I thought it was because the thread title is so close to my question. Which totally doesn't make me feel any more stupid at all.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Anyone have an easy, able to do in the fridge Pancetta recipe I can make and start working on this pile of meat?

First time butchering on a larger scale then 'squirrel'! Very proud of myself, but I need more practice.

The bellies and one nice jowl cut I want to use are in the tupperware marked CHARCUTERIE DO NOT TOUCH (added the 'do not touch' bit when I caught mom sneaking tidbits from it to the dog x.x) Funny thing too, that's what the kabob and sausage pork is for.

The vaccum sealed belly was too ruined to make any sort of neat charcuterie, I totally messed that one up. The 'stewing pork' is from me counting up everything from the trunk, and having that piece left over, like the mystery screw from an IKEA flat-pack. It's not a belly, it's not rib, it's not loin... Hey! It's gonna be pulled pork.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 17, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I got some of the La Querica lomo cured pork loin and holy crap it's good.

Is all their stuff really good? A shop nearby has the la Querica lomo, prosciutto, speck, and the pork belly thing. Also all the Olli and cremini Salumi.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Yes. La Quercia makes extremely high quality stuff. I would recommend anything they make (except for their Borsellino which was really dissappointing).

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Bacon Part 2: Maple Harder, and Pancetta Episode 1; Can Rosemary Substitute For Juniper, are in the fridge. 6lbs of breakfast sausage and 3lbs of chorizo are now in the freezer.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Suspect Bucket posted:

Pancetta Episode 1; Can Rosemary Substitute For Juniper

gently caress yes it can

sanosuke21
Jul 24, 2003
Hello all. My partner is a professional sous chef and wants to start doing charcuterie and sausage making at home. What sausage maker/meat grinder do folks recommend to buy for someone who is a restaurant chef?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

sanosuke21 posted:

Hello all. My partner is a professional sous chef and wants to start doing charcuterie and sausage making at home. What sausage maker/meat grinder do folks recommend to buy for someone who is a restaurant chef?

If he is doing it at home the same poo poo I recommend to everyone doing it at home.

A decent grinder
A decent sausage stuffer

The end.

If you aren't making sausage you just need a few big rear end plastic ziplock bags and some cheap sheet pans. He isn't going to make 150 lbs of bacon for a restaurant so no commercial equipment is needed.

holttho
May 21, 2007

I use my KitchenAid stand mixer with grinder and stuffer attachment and they work great. I've made maybe 30-40lbs a year for the past few years and I haven't had a single real complaint. I know a bunch of people don't care for the stuffer attachment, but the only times it has been less-than-optimal for me were because of user-error. Just be super-steady with feeding it and don't use it at the same time as grinding, really.

But, if he's got money to spend upfront at the start of a hobby, I know piston-style stuffers are very popular. They are extremely steady flow at many speeds, greatly reduce air pockets, don't over-agitate/incorporate the meat, and don't heat the meat.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

CURE FASTER AAGH

I also love how neatly the bellies fit in my foodsaver bags.

sanosuke21
Jul 24, 2003
Thanks for the recommendations guys! I just didn't want to get her something she would scoff at (which she has done with some of my consumer level kitchen equipment).

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

sanosuke21 posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I just didn't want to get her something she would scoff at (which she has done with some of my consumer level kitchen equipment).

People who scoff at consumer equipment are stupid. A home cook doesn't need a 1000 dollar blender. It won't be running 14 hours a day,

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Since we don't have a dedicated sausage thread I figure this is where I'll find the most sausage expertise:

So I used my new vertical sausage stuffer last night for the first time and it was a bit of a disaster. The piston squeezed a ton of the liquid out of the sausage that pooled up in the casing that was wrapped around the feed spout and eventually emptied all over my kitchen counter. By the time I was done it looked like like a scene from a horror movie. The sausage itself stuffed quite easily besides that (and being soaking wet).

Is this normal? Did I do something wrong? Should I be worried that the texture of my sausage was hosed?

I've stuffed sausage from my kitchen-aid successfully for the past year so I wasn't expecting to run into any crazy problems like this.

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

Jarmak posted:

Since we don't have a dedicated sausage thread I figure this is where I'll find the most sausage expertise:

So I used my new vertical sausage stuffer last night for the first time and it was a bit of a disaster. The piston squeezed a ton of the liquid out of the sausage that pooled up in the casing that was wrapped around the feed spout and eventually emptied all over my kitchen counter. By the time I was done it looked like like a scene from a horror movie. The sausage itself stuffed quite easily besides that (and being soaking wet).

Is this normal? Did I do something wrong? Should I be worried that the texture of my sausage was hosed?

I've stuffed sausage from my kitchen-aid successfully for the past year so I wasn't expecting to run into any crazy problems like this.

Did you remember to pre-freeze all of the grinder parts? I am not an expert sausage maker, but it sounds like this could have helped at least to reduce the liquid.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I eat baby skin posted:

Did you remember to pre-freeze all of the grinder parts? I am not an expert sausage maker, but it sounds like this could have helped at least to reduce the liquid.

The problem wasn't the presence of the liquid it was the separation of the liquid from the mixture, I'm thinking my mixture might have gotten too warm .

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Does anything bad happen if you let the meat cure a few days longer? I won't have access to the smoker until Thursday, and my meat looks pretty happy and clean in the foodsaver bags. I think I saw this asked before in the thread, but cant seem to find it or the answer. Either way, it's getting a bit of a soak and rinse, since my first batch was suuuuuuper salty, and would have probably benefitted from this.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 27, 2015

holttho
May 21, 2007

Just take it out of the brine and seal it back up in a bag for the next two days. If anything, it will let the meat come to saline equilibrium. If you think it's going to be any longer than Thursday, just put a dash of water in the bag when you seal it; enough so there is no air in the bag, but not so much that it is floating around in an ocean. Too much water will draw salt back out of the meat.

Worst case scenario if you leave it in the brine is it gets dry and tastes like ham. Also, it gets salty.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I got one of the Olli salamis with fennel pollen, and it is wrapped in a casing that has a sticky brownish yellow gunk on it that smells like feet.

It's sooooo good. I like it better than the cremini stuff, it's drier and more 'marbled' with fat, rather than having pieces of fat interspersed in it. Both taste good but I prefer the texture of the Olli stuff. It's more like trois petites couchons with the even marbling, and drier.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Parents are gone, pancetta hanging in the closet. Bacon on the smoke. Squared off the pancetta and frying up the scraps with eggs, MMMMMMMMM so good.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

Parents are gone, pancetta hanging in the closet. Bacon on the smoke. Squared off the pancetta and frying up the scraps with eggs, MMMMMMMMM so good.

Wait did you just imply that you charcuteried your parents?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

Reduce, reuse, recycle?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

Hey man try not to be so judgey. Everyone's got to eat.

And have you seen the price of pork belly lately?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Trig Discipline posted:

Honestly, is that any worse then mystery rotting sock leg?

Nah, mom is sensitive to strong smells, and has asked I do no weird cooking when she's around. That includes burning things and hanging slabs of meat in the closet.

I had chorizo bacon tacos for dinner tonight because I MADE THIS poo poo YO. That and dearly frozen Mr. Snacks.

SpannerX posted:

Reduce, reuse, recycle?

Erryday

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
disown your mom, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Martello posted:

disown your mom, hth

She likes the end result, but she has some serious olfactory damage from a chemical spill in her youth that's made her sense of smell very weird and sensitive.

• Locked thread