Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hesh Ballantine posted:

he is my go to guy any time I need encouragement to finish my BS in Physics, also kreosan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGDOE-zDVZc

ukranian dude strips a magnetron out of a microwave, straps it to a coffee can, and points it at all kinds of poo poo

bonus you can hear mortars etc in the background

Yeah he lives in or around Luhansk and poo poo is proper hosed around there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

also reposting on new page because this owns

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Yeah he lives in or around Luhansk and poo poo is proper hosed around there.

yeah first time I saw these I was like "holy poo poo this guy is fearless" but I guess living in a warzone will do that to you

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
re: Kung Fury

he calls it a "bicep" not a biceps and im livid af

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
gah, had to turn it off. sucks too much :(

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

it's p bad actually

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Pizza pizza

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Xzibit A

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

don't know if this is rly bad or rly good

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
sub-optimal pizza stacking, they could def get another mini pizza on there

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

lafffffffo

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Well, he'll never be the head of a major corporation

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Broken Machine posted:

here's more music with a tesla coil, except huge

same guys made some ultra huge coils recently for burning flipside just this past weekend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_hCXEcG5TA
only vid i could find online, but more will prob be posted soon

the cage in the middle is full of people for scale

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

brb, gotta break out the dak catalog back issues

http://www.jims-sae-site.com/sae_ads/a105_ad.jpg

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

wayfinder posted:

gah, had to turn it off. sucks too much :(

I got through 5 minutes of it. Dinosaur did the 80's much better with the second series of Danger 5.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I got through 5 minutes of it. Dinosaur did the 80's much better with the second series of Danger 5.

:agreed:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i prefer Far Cry Blood Dragon

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Palpek posted:

Lem wrote deeper and better ai and cyber brain fiction than anybody else, one thing to look for is Tales of Pirx the Pilot

The Pirx books are weird. The first collection has a general theme of being about how a trained expert's assumptions can lead to dangerous, potentially fatal misunderstandings of real phenomena. The second collection is entirely about AI exhibiting human behavior, or at least interacting with humans in compelling ways. But the first book has a story that clearly belongs in the second (Terminus), and the second has one that would fit better in the first (The Hunt, which at least bears some resemblance to The Albatross).

All the Pirx tales are absolutely recommended reading (especially Terminus), but I think the second book stands better as a collection. Fiasco opens with a fun Pirx tale told from someone else's perspective, and then... well, it's complicated.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Hesh Ballantine posted:

he is my go to guy any time I need encouragement to finish my BS in Physics, also kreosan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGDOE-zDVZc

ukranian dude strips a magnetron out of a microwave, straps it to a coffee can, and points it at all kinds of poo poo

bonus you can hear mortars etc in the background

e: there's another one where he uses a TV transformer and a shitton of filament wire to call lightning

people like this are seriously 3/5 of the way towards being super-villains

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011

whoever made this poo poo should probably make snowcrash. except without the dreadfulness.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

ex machina sucked
lol it was like a made for TV movie

It was the best lovely sci-fi garbaj ive seen in a long while. the last similar garbaj was splice

im the bluetube upload of "lol! killed the creator." with 3.8 gigaquad of hits

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

there ought to be a government program which provides funding, facilities, and equipment for highly skilled people to build and do stupid poo poo just to see what happens

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

there ought to be a government program which provides funding, facilities, and equipment for highly skilled people to build and do stupid poo poo just to see what happens

It's called DARPA

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

we used to do a lot more of this but yeah vvvv

spankmeister posted:

It's called DARPA

there are some great historical examples of just how reckless some poo poo was. los alamos scientists were so totally convinced that this 6 kg sphere of subcritical plutonium was trying to kill them that they called it "the demon core"

http://nerdist.com/tickling-the-dragons-tail-the-story-of-the-demon-core/

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

duTrieux. posted:

spankmeister posted:

It's called DARPA

beat me to it

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

spankmeister posted:

It's called DARPA

i was thinking something a little less grant-based, i.e. in addition to bigger projects there are also centers where people can show up and (after appropriate certification) get access to CO2 lasers and massive power supplies and poo poo

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Hesh Ballantine posted:

we used to do a lot more of this but yeah vvvv

there are some great historical examples of just how reckless some poo poo was. los alamos scientists were so totally convinced that this 6 kg sphere of subcritical plutonium was trying to kill them that they called it "the demon core"

http://nerdist.com/tickling-the-dragons-tail-the-story-of-the-demon-core/

I am familiar with the Demon Core.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
when i was hanging out with tom ray he was getting paid a decent wad of research money from darpa just so they could ask him questions when they felt like it. like he had zero deliverables and no set project for them, it was literally just "pick up the phone when we call so we can ask your opinion on poo poo"

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

here's a puppy

ur dog looks sick

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

when i was hanging out with tom ray he was getting paid a decent wad of research money from darpa just so they could ask him questions when they felt like it. like he had zero deliverables and no set project for them, it was literally just "pick up the phone when we call so we can ask your opinion on poo poo"

so basically he's on the global frequency

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

i was thinking something a little less grant-based, i.e. in addition to bigger projects there are also centers where people can show up and (after appropriate certification) get access to CO2 lasers and massive power supplies and poo poo
This is me.
I was at a nuclear research reactor today and was playing with all sorts of equipment I'm totally unqualified for. :haw:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

thought: is it possible to get enough power out of overhead lines and a thrown cable to operate a backpack-mounted tesla coil?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

duTrieux. posted:

I am familiar with the Demon Core.

the demon core is neato but the byford dolphin is much neatoer

quote:

...Hellevik, being exposed to the highest pressure gradient and in the process of moving to secure the inner door, was forced through the 60 centimetres (24 in) in diameter opening created by the jammed interior trunk door by escaping air and violently dismembered, including bisection of the thoracoabdominal cavity which further resulted in expulsion of all internal organs of the chest and abdomen except the trachea and a section of small intestine and of the thorasic spine and projecting them some distance, one section later being found 10 metres (30 ft) vertically above the exterior pressure door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merchant_x
Dec 29, 2000
Will choke to death for food.
Nap Ghost

• Locked thread