Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

zVxTeflon posted:

Painting goons what am I doing wrong here. I put a wash on this X-wing ship and its dirtying up the overall ship well enough but nothing is really collecting in the nooks and corners. Am i just watering it down too much? Im using about a 50:50 water/wash ratio. How do i get it to bring out the details more without making it too grey in the other areas any more? Sorry the pic sucks but my phone really hates focusing on anything close up

Maybe try wash n wipe? Give it a thicker wash and while it's still wet wipe it off the top surfaces. I've used it for detail stuff before and had decent results, though nothing on the X-Wing scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

I did, but I don't expect much - traditionally, their email communication is pretty bad.

It might be the latex in the paint. If they are completely dried, varnish both like krushgroove said. the lacquer coat should help with that. You may need to do a gloss then matte coat as well.

Alright! Hope it goes well - They've been pretty helpful to me so far with painting help and so on.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Unzip and Attack posted:

Would someone be willing to do a nice varnish/sealant effort post? The amount of information seems a bit overwhelming to someone who doesn't know jack about what works best in what situation.

5th post of the OP has this:
VARNISHING

Gloss varnishes: Pledge Floor Wax (previously Future), also known as Klear in the UK, makes for a good, cheap gloss varnish (it can dry to a satin finish however, depending on exactly what you have). One bottle from your grocery store will last you a lifetime of painting models. It can also be mixed with paint to make a wash and used as a thinner by cutting it 50/50 with water. Liquitex brand varnishes are also good. All of the paint brands like Badger, Citadel, Vallejo, etc., make their own varnishes and they all work well, however Citadel is the only one that has it available in spray cans. You can also use automotive clear lacquer. Many modelers swear by Testor’s Dullcote/Glosscote, too.

To protect the paint, use gloss varnish when you're finished, which dries to a harder finish than matte finish. Let it dry for a day or two (if you're airbrushing it will be a thinner coat so will dry faster) and follow it up with a matte finish, which is more suitable for cloth, skin, armor, etc. Touch up with gloss on glass or other shiny surfaces, and satin on cloth areas like silk, etc.

You can also use gloss varnish as a 'save point' between major steps of your painting project, such as after your base coat and before applying trim details. If you accidentally put paint in the wrong place, you can use cleaner to take the paint off while not worrying about your earlier painting.

It's not a full effortpost but it's what I could whip up while doing the rest of the OP. You can brush on Pledge Floor Wax, just make sure to use brush soap to clean your brushes afterwards. Use thin coats and let it dry about half an hour between coats. I've never brushed it on but it's thin enough to spray through an airbrush so it's more than thin enough for brush painting. You can use a hair dryer to speed up the painting as long as you didn't put it on too thick (it'll collect in the deep parts of the model).

You can also use Testor's Glosscote, but this has to be done outside because it stinks to high heaven. For the final varnish, Testor's Dullcote is what people have been using for ages and ages. You can find it outside the US but if you don't have a model or craft shop near you, you'll probably have to pay a premium to get it. But it's worth it. Dullcote smell to me is the smell of victory.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

KFJ posted:

Alright! Hope it goes well - They've been pretty helpful to me so far with painting help and so on.
They actually got back to me (surprise!) but they want an order number. I have no clue who the guy was I bought the model from, so I'm SOL. Oh well.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
My latest WiP - its supposed to be a replacement for the awful Dakini tacbot sculpts.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

zVxTeflon posted:

Painting goons what am I doing wrong here. I put a wash on this X-wing ship and its dirtying up the overall ship well enough but nothing is really collecting in the nooks and corners. Am i just watering it down too much? Im using about a 50:50 water/wash ratio. How do i get it to bring out the details more without making it too grey in the other areas any more? Sorry the pic sucks but my phone really hates focusing on anything close up

It looks like you've watered it to the point where the pigment has separated from the acrylic medium. You want to either use matte medium or pledge floor varnish to thin the paint (you will need to matte varnish after if you use pledge)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

zVxTeflon posted:

Did you clean the mini first? It's possible the wash isn't sitting in the crevices because the crevices are already full of something oily or whatever.

Most washes don't need to be watered down, by the by - but you do usually need to touch up the high spots afterwards to avoid them getting dingy.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
You said you used a 50:50 Wash to Water ratio. If you have a 'wash' then it's already thinned enough and you're separating out the pigments as someone mentioned.

I would take an old toothbrush with a little soap and scrub the model then try the wash without any additional thinning after it's dried.

A lot of the Xwing painters I see always mention using Nuln Oil from GW and get results like this:

http://warteacher.blogspot.com/2013/03/ffg-x-wing-ship-repaints-revenge-of.html

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thought I'd convert up a spare old beat-up rhino I had into a looted one, it was either that or terrain.

Ork conversions are fun. WIP, of course.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Does goblin green still have a direct equivalent out there? I want to change my base rims to green, and I have an old pot of goblin green around, but I don't want to break it out unless I can be consistent with it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

ijyt posted:

Thought I'd convert up a spare old beat-up rhino I had into a looted one, it was either that or terrain.

Ork conversions are fun. WIP, of course.

proppa, but it needs a big zoggin gun on the top.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Under 15 posted:

Does goblin green still have a direct equivalent out there? I want to change my base rims to green, and I have an old pot of goblin green around, but I don't want to break it out unless I can be consistent with it.
I've been using Warboss Green which is the GW-approved equivalent of it, but it's a bit more saturated than old Goblin Green.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

IIRC Cote d'arms still make Goblin Green. Not sure if it's an exact match to the GW one of old though.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Indolent Bastard posted:

proppa, but it needs a big zoggin gun on the top.

A BZG 9000?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Try thinning it down less.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

IIRC Cote d'arms still make Goblin Green. Not sure if it's an exact match to the GW one of old though.

It should be a match to the original citadel paints.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Under 15 posted:

Vallejo Model Colour Olive Green is also a decent substitute.

HardHead
Nov 4, 2009

Bouncer, Hey bouncer.

Under 15 posted:

army painters goblin green is a really good match.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

HardHead posted:

army painters goblin green is a really good match.

How is their Goblin Green? I have their Greenskin paint and it is so loving thin and lovely, it's actually alarming. I spray based my 2nd ed Cadians with it, and after a not-terribly-thick wash it was taking 2-3 coats to get it back up to a decent green. I'd say it's worse to work with than any of GW's yellows, but without the excuse of being yellow and therefore normally super thin.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

I thought it was the mini he goes step by step with to teach?

Does anyone have a scan of the FW Thunderbolt instructions? The kit I got doesn't have them and I can't seem to find a copy online.

It turns out I didn't throw them out! I found them and it's literally a picture of all the parts, then a picture of the fuselage in one piece as a sub assembly and then the wings glued onto it. They're really bad instructions.

HardHead
Nov 4, 2009

Bouncer, Hey bouncer.

SRM posted:

How is their Goblin Green? I have their Greenskin paint and it is so loving thin and lovely, it's actually alarming. I spray based my 2nd ed Cadians with it, and after a not-terribly-thick wash it was taking 2-3 coats to get it back up to a decent green. I'd say it's worse to work with than any of GW's yellows, but without the excuse of being yellow and therefore normally super thin.

I have no idea what they are doing to make their other greens so awful, but thankfully they aren't doing it to their GG . It's pretty much just GW goblin green in a bottle instead of a pot.

it's not a 100% match but it's close. AP left GW right.Linked for table breakage.

HardHead fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 29, 2015

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

zVxTeflon posted:

Sorry, I can't tell much from the photo. However, washing is a dynamic process, closer to oil paints than acrylic paint because you have a much longer period of time before it sets.

You can actually put undiluted wash into the model, observe the results and completely rinse it off in the sink before it dries. You can even add water to a washed model and shift the wash around. A medium sized brush can be used to both apply wash and suck it up: if you squeeze the bristles dry you can use that unloaded brush to vacuum up excess wash from problem areas.

What little I can make out in the photo it does seem that your wash has too much water. The water will separate from the wash/ink and leave bare spots, making the model look "dirty" as you describe.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Im thinking about doing a conversion for this guy, and going mad max with some of my cavalry. Where could I find an appropriate motorbike/alternate mount? ideally as mad max as possible while still representing the same model.

Maybe also some tire shoulderpads...

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 29, 2015

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Any UK goons got the scoop on some decent paintbrushes I can buy a bunch of for cheap? I seem to disintegrate Citadel brushes like nobodies business and for now like to keep things oldschool without airbrushes.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

nopantsjack posted:

Any UK goons got the scoop on some decent paintbrushes I can buy a bunch of for cheap? I seem to disintegrate Citadel brushes like nobodies business and for now like to keep things oldschool without airbrushes.

Dunelm Mill has lots of cheap decent brushes in packs.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

Im thinking about doing a conversion for this guy, and going mad max with some of my cavalry. Where could I find an appropriate motorbike/alternate mount? ideally as mad max as possible while still representing the same model.

My best guess would be an Ork War bike.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there an easy way to mix metallic paints like silver with another color, say a nice blue, to get metallic blue? Or would it be better to find specific blue metallic paint? I don't have much practice with mixing.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there an easy way to mix metallic paints like silver with another color, say a nice blue, to get metallic blue? Or would it be better to find specific blue metallic paint? I don't have much practice with mixing.

Depending on what you are trying to do you can paint the part silver and use glazes to get back up to a nice blue.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

LordAba posted:

Depending on what you are trying to do you can paint the part silver and use glazes to get back up to a nice blue.

I'm going to be painting a Stonehorn (big creature who's skeleton is turning into/already made of stone) which has a gigantic set of horns on its head. I wanted to make them a nice blue that pops (like metal ore instead of regular stone) but also shines like metal, as if the rider has been polishing them.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I finally picked up my brushes again after an extended haiatus, this time not painting 10m mechs but Reaper Bones for a Pathfinder campaign.

This is my character, Paladin Darcassan Foxfire, Tea-leaf reading Crossbowelf of Golaron and all round lawful good guy.

It feels strange painting flesh and fabric again. But I think i've still got it. And it looks great on the table, not perfect up close but I'm not minding.

Paints:
Vallejo:
Model Colour
70808 Blue Green
70865 Oily Steel
Game Ink
72093 Skin Wash

P3
Heartfire
Cryx Bane Base

Italeri
Flat Red
Flat White
Flat Light Grey
Flat Light Brown

Citadel
Snakebite Leather
Tanned Flesh
Chainmail

Army Painter
Strong Tone
Dark Tone

Testors
Dullcote Lacquer

Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (L) Grey

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 30, 2015

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Vallejo has a metallic medium, but I don't know how good it is. Alternatively you could get some aluminium powder and mix it into the paint. I have done it like that and it works pretty well.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Buy Vallejo Model Air Steel. Beautiful smooth pigment and strong metallic that mixes very nicely. It's the best medium for colored metallics I found (Vallejo metallic medium is poo poo) I made good metallic blues with it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Either paint it silver and glaze it like LordAba said, or you can tint the metallic with the glazes before you paint it on.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Coat d arms is the answer for metallic blue. They do all the old coloured metallics that gw uses to do.

It's the answer for everything on this page in fact.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Electric Hobo posted:

Vallejo has a metallic medium, but I don't know how good it is.

It mutes colors reaaaaaally badly.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Electric Hobo posted:

Vallejo has a metallic medium, but I don't know how good it is. Alternatively you could get some aluminium powder and mix it into the paint. I have done it like that and it works pretty well.

I've only experimented a little with the Metal Medium (:rock:) and it does what it's supposed to, but it lightens whatever colour you mix it with, which I guess makes sense.

On the other hand Vallejo makes a Gunmetal Blue that is a dark blue metallic paint so maybe just go with that?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
There are plenty of references to air brushes on the first page of this thread, yet it's a perennial inquiry here. Lots of helpful people have chimed in each time, should that info be added to the OP?

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
I have a 28mm standard bearer from the Perry Brothers, but I need a flag pole for him. Any recommendations for wire gauge or other ideas? I'm going to be going by a hardware store later today.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Thanks goons. I think I have some game air steel already, I'll give that a shot. 1:1 blue to steel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

I picked these up at 90% off. I can send one to you. They are on , I think, 60mm bases in the pictures, so they should be plenty big.

http://www.wildwestexodus.com/outlaw-blackjack-vehicle-set-3-models-light-support/