Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dead Reckoning posted:

New York tried preventative policing, but people got really upset about it for some reason.

That's not preventative policing. Preventative policing is police establishing relationships with the people in their community so that community members feel safe asking the police for help. I just watched an interesting documentary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crips_and_Bloods:_Made_in_America), and something interesting to me was that a large number of the gang members interviewed stated that a primary motivation for joining a gang was because they couldn't trust police to protect them, and often felt they needed protection from the police.

If police are on a first-name basis with the people in their neighborhoods, and those officers seem like friends you could go to with your problems, people are less likely to be confrontational with police. A police officer should be a guy who you can literally wake up at 2am and he'll be happy to crawl out of bed and check around because you heard some banging around in the alley. Instead they act like they're an army fighting some sort of insurgent force. Stop-and-frisk assumes that members of the community are all potential criminals, rather than friends and neighbors under the officer's care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article22515459.html

Just some random cop getting a DUI. No big story, but I laughed at this:

quote:

Duque’s arrest came as the department was more than halfway of reaching then-Police Chief Jeff Halstead’s goal of going 1,000 days without a DWI arrest of an officer. The department had celebrated reaching Halstead’s previous goal of one year that June.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DARPA posted:

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article22515459.html

Just some random cop getting a DUI. No big story, but I laughed at this:

Well, alcoholism is rampant in America. It's really not shocking that cops wouldn't be exempt from it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

That's not preventative policing. Preventative policing is police establishing relationships with the people in their community so that community members feel safe asking the police for help. I just watched an interesting documentary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crips_and_Bloods:_Made_in_America), and something interesting to me was that a large number of the gang members interviewed stated that a primary motivation for joining a gang was because they couldn't trust police to protect them, and often felt they needed protection from the police.

If police are on a first-name basis with the people in their neighborhoods, and those officers seem like friends you could go to with your problems, people are less likely to be confrontational with police. A police officer should be a guy who you can literally wake up at 2am and he'll be happy to crawl out of bed and check around because you heard some banging around in the alley. Instead they act like they're an army fighting some sort of insurgent force. Stop-and-frisk assumes that members of the community are all potential criminals, rather than friends and neighbors under the officer's care.

There are lots of people actively crying out for the return of the Peelers in America (a goal that I think is wildly unrealistic given the current climate) but never once would I have imagined that the best advocates for that move would be the frigging Crips.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

flakeloaf posted:

There are lots of people actively crying out for the return of the Peelers in America (a goal that I think is wildly unrealistic given the current climate) but never once would I have imagined that the best advocates for that move would be the frigging Crips.

At the same time, it's like seeing the KKK advocate for deregulation of school systems-you know exactly what their motivations are. When you're watching people lament harsh police enforcement and talking about how many people they've killed/shot at in the same breath, it kind of loses all meaning. I mean, I'm sure ol' Pablo was also very much against US interference in Colombia :v:

E: VVVV Because Florida is a magical magical place with cops who are just as magical.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 29, 2015

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Why would you bring Assault Rifles into a suicide situation in the first place?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Naturally Selected posted:

At the same time, it's like seeing the KKK advocate for deregulation of school systems-you know exactly what their motivations are. When you're watching people lament harsh police enforcement and talking about how many people they've killed/shot at in the same breath, it kind of loses all meaning. I mean, I'm sure ol' Pablo was also very much against US interference in Colombia :v:

E: VVVV Because Florida is a magical magical place with cops who are just as magical.

That's a lovely comparison, because the kkk are the cause and black gangs are the effect.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
This is loving awful:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...t_attorney.html

Basically Orange County DA and Sheriff were colluding to procure snitches, place them near suspects, and instructed them to get confessions from people who lawyered up. Remember that snitches lie at a huge rate (because they have a reason to). They then hid this from the defense and the court.

Given the length of time and persons involved, it almost certainly ruined more lives than police shootings in Orange County.

Bet no one gets disbarred for it though.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

nm posted:

This is loving awful:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...t_attorney.html

Basically Orange County DA and Sheriff were colluding to procure snitches, place them near suspects, and instructed them to get confessions from people who lawyered up. Remember that snitches lie at a huge rate (because they have a reason to). They then hid this from the defense and the court.

Given the length of time and persons involved, it almost certainly ruined more lives than police shootings in Orange County.

Bet no one gets disbarred for it though.

Here's a choice quote from that article that highlights the systemic nature of the illegal abuse by DAs & the Sheriff's department:

quote:

In an explosive moment following a hearing last year, Sanders revealed that the Orange County Sheriffs Department has maintained a massive, secret, 25-year-old computerized record-keeping system called TRED. These TRED documents were full of potentially exculpatory data, but the agency officials had systematically refused to turn any of them over, or even acknowledge their very existence, to defense counsel.

In his March order, Goethals wrote: “It is now apparent that the discovery situation in this case is far worse than the court previously realized. In fact, a wealth of potentially relevant discovery material—an entire computerized data base built and maintained by the Orange County Sheriff over the course of many years which is a repository for information related directly to the very issues that this court was examining as a result of the defendant’s motion—remained secret, despite numerous specific discovery orders issued by this court, until long after the initial evidentiary hearing in this case was concluded and rulings were made.”

Laura Fernandez of Yale Law School, who studies prosecutorial misconduct, says it’s amazing that both the sheriff’s office and the DA’s office worked together to cover up the misconduct: “From my perspective,” she says, “what really sets Orange County apart is the massive cover-up by both law enforcement and prosecutors—a cover-up that appears to have risen to the level of perjury and obstruction of justice. Law enforcement officers and prosecutors in Orange County have gone to such lengths to conceal their wide-ranging misconduct that they have effectively turned the criminal justice system on its head: dismissing charges and reducing sentences in extraordinarily serious cases, utterly failing to investigate unsolved crimes and many murders (by informants—in order to prevent that evidence from ever getting to defense lawyers), while simultaneously pushing forward where it would seem to make no sense (except that it conceals more bad acts by the state), as in the case of an innocent 14-year old boy who was wrongfully detained for two years.

So not only did they lie and hide a database of exculpatory evidence, but they let their snitches off of major crimes including murders to prevent defense attorneys from knowing about their corruption and misconduct.

Sadly, I would be shocked if a single person in law enforcement saw a jail cell over this.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Trabisnikof posted:

Here's a choice quote from that article that highlights the systemic nature of the illegal abuse by DAs & the Sheriff's department:

So not only did they lie and hide a database of exculpatory evidence, but they let their snitches off of major crimes including murders to prevent defense attorneys from knowing about their corruption and misconduct.

Sadly, I would be shocked if a single person in law enforcement saw a jail cell over this.

Ain't like it's the first time that this has happened. . How did it get revealed?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Same story

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/thats-what-we-do-florida-cops-shoot-and-kill-suicidal-man-after-girlfriend-phones-for-help/

quote:

‘That’s what we do': Florida cops shoot and kill suicidal man after girlfriend phones for help

According to the Florida Times-Union, the deputies instead shot Way in the stomach and abdomen. ... “That’s what we do.”

Braig was involved in another fatal encounter last December, when he shot and killed 51-year-old Daniel Torres. The deputy also said at the time that Torres refused to follow orders to drop a knife. Meanwhile, an online post attributed to Carrabosa states, “Most people respect the badge. Everyone respects the gun.”

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

Cop needs a better attorney, stat

I feel like "who's to say he wasn't dressed as a reindeer and had taken the reindeer suit off" should be the stock answer to soooo many more questions.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Public defender went through 60,000 pages of case files. Want police accountability? Funding your public defenders is a great start.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
Baltimore Gets Bloodier As Arrests Drop Post-Freddie Gray

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Anora posted:

I don't know why everyone's getting so upset about this. The police were called to prevent a suicide, and the man was clearly killed by someone else, not by himself. Mission accomplished!
:shepicide:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

nm posted:

Public defender went through 60,000 pages of case files. Want police accountability? Funding your public defenders is a great start.

Quotin' myself:
https://medium.com/@sfdefender/behind-courtroom-doors-7a581a1b02c2

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Toshimo posted:

Well, alcoholism is rampant in America. It's really not shocking that cops wouldn't be exempt from it.

Does your office need to have a stated goal of not getting DUIs? Because mine sure doesn't. And we certainly didn't celebrate a year of no one being charged with one either. And that ignores the perverse incentive of the chief setting a department wide goal of no DUIs which encourages looking the other way when one officer catches another as it would spoil the streak.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DARPA posted:

Does your office need to have a stated goal of not getting DUIs?

Yeah, probably.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

DARPA posted:

Does your office need to have a stated goal of not getting DUIs? Because mine sure doesn't. And we certainly didn't celebrate a year of no one being charged with one either. And that ignores the perverse incentive of the chief setting a department wide goal of no DUIs which encourages looking the other way when one officer catches another as it would spoil the streak.

I'm pretty sure the rate of alcoholism in law enforcement is noticeably higher than the general population.

http://jghcs.info/index.php/l/article/download/150/147

quote:

In addition it is an acceptable form of coping for officers.
Approximately 17 million, or 1 in 12 Americans abuses alcohol or are alcoholic
(Adelson, 2006). Violanti noted alcohol abuse among U.S. police officers was
approximately double that of the general population (1999). The stress officers face and
the fact that alcohol Kirschman (2006), reported that alcohol consumption among law
enforcement personnel maybe even double the amount reported by the general population
which further supports Violanti’s previous research.

You can question the veracity of the source all you want, that's the first thing I found so I have no idea how biased it is, if at all.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm pretty sure the rate of alcoholism in law enforcement is noticeably higher than the general population.

You can question the veracity of the source all you want, that's the first thing I found so I have no idea how biased it is, if at all.

It is the hypocrisy. I used to drink with a cop and his wife at my local bar. I walked, they drove 15 miles. We did this 7 days a week. They never ever ever accepted my offer to pay for a cab or for them to crash at my place. He was always really loving drunk when they left, probably 3 times the legal limit, but he just joked that no one would bother him because he was a cop. I liked them as people, but that attitude and behavior finally made me stop hanging out with them. Maybe he was good cop, I don't know, but he was loving determined to drive home drunk every goddamn day.

Somehow because he was a cop, it was ok. He was always really happy that I walked, then he would turn around and drive nightly. I never loving understood it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Completely calculated move on the part of the police department.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

It is absolutely true. Alcoholism, drug abuse (steroids and amphetamines mainly), divorce, family violence, suicide, sudden inexplicable violence which goes the way you might expect when you get a guy amped up and give him automatic weapons; all of those are all fruit of the PTSD tree and you will not find a police agency on the continent that doesn't have at least one of these things.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

flakeloaf posted:

It is absolutely true. Alcoholism, drug abuse (steroids and amphetamines mainly), divorce, family violence, suicide, sudden inexplicable violence which goes the way you might expect when you get a guy amped up and give him automatic weapons; all of those are all fruit of the PTSD tree and you will not find a police agency on the continent that doesn't have at least one of these things.

I firmly believe that isn't just the stress of the job so much as it is the attitude that has been developed that policing is so drat dangerous. Yes, it can be dangerous, but when you treat every call as life or death for yourself and your partners, the stress is going to loving kill you. That is what they have done, and it is one of the primary reasons they all react so badly to everyday encounters. A person can't survive when they are walking around stressed out like that all of the time, but somehow our police force has convinced itself that life and death is happening whenever they encounter any citizen.

Add in systemic racism and you have what we see today.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pohl posted:

I firmly believe that isn't just the stress of the job so much as it is the attitude that has been developed that policing is so drat dangerous. Yes, it can be dangerous, but when you treat every call as life or death for yourself and your partners, the stress is going to loving kill you. That is what they have done, and it is one of the primary reasons they all react so badly to everyday encounters. A person can't survive when they are walking around stressed out like that all of the time, but somehow our police force has convinced itself that life and death is happening whenever they encounter any citizen.

Add in systemic racism and you have what we see today.

Failing to find any massive studies with a quick google search (I suck at finding poo poo like that, and most of what I found have sample sizes of sub-1000), but maybe someone with better access/skills can find something-but I can just about guarantee that if you look at other emergency response professions you'll find the same increased prevalence of alcohol/drug abuse, violence, divorce, etc. PTSD and related poo poo kind of comes with the territory of working in emergency services.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Naturally Selected posted:

Failing to find any massive studies with a quick google search (I suck at finding poo poo like that, and most of what I found have sample sizes of sub-1000), but maybe someone with better access/skills can find something-but I can just about guarantee that if you look at other emergency response professions you'll find the same increased prevalence of alcohol/drug abuse, violence, divorce, etc. PTSD and related poo poo kind of comes with the territory of working in emergency services.

How much of that is from being up all night, stuck in a truck with someone who isn't your spouse though? I think Pohl's bang on the money: A lot of the awareness training is intended to heighten your sense of danger so you can spot threat cues and protect yourself proactively before you need to resort to weapons. That's fine when you go from a brightly-lit street corner to a shady apartment or you chase a dude into a parking garage, but you can't stay in that amped state all shift long for thirty years and not come out of it without some kind of party in your head. You hear of soldiers who come home after only six months in a literal warzone and they're permanently broken because they get back to Nowhere, Indiana and they're still checking rooftops for snipers and visually searching roadside objects for explosives. Cop stress is obviously much lower than soldier stress but it's over a much longer period of time and that's every bit as likely to gently caress you up. The UOF instructor rhetoric doesn't help that attitude any: See one think two, hands kill, there's never no threat because it's either known or unknown, every call's a gun call, you're going home tonight, everything's a weapon, :words:, and that's before you get into that maladaptive wolf-sheepdog bullshit. A young guy could be forgiven for approaching every shift change like it's Thunderdome.

Whatever you do for a living, if you're sleep-deprived, charged with responsibility over life and death and you spend every moment "knowing" fifty ninjas are going to drop from the sky and kill everything and it'll all be your fault because you didn't remember your WEALTH mnemonic, your brain is going to break and life for the people who have to put up with you will suck.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 29, 2015

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Not a huge shock here but cops ignore judges order and send mentally ill man on a one way bus trip to Florida.

http://www.kentucky.com/2015/05/29/3874508_ignoring-court-order-police-in.html?rh=1

A friend of mine that is a lawyer has already offered to represent him free of charge on any all criminal charges he's now facing.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Jesus, yeah, that's pretty much the worst.

Anora posted:

"Yes, hello, 9-1-1? I'd like to report a man with a knife threatening to hurt himself. No, I don't think he's a danger to anyone else, but I'd like you to come take him out of our home and have him involuntarily committed." Even if you make the radical assumption that the caller has enough insight into the suicidal person's state of mind to make that call, it's still a dangerous situation.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

Jesus, yeah, that's pretty much the worst.

"Yes, hello, 9-1-1? I'd like to report a man with a knife threatening to hurt himself. No, I don't think he's a danger to anyone else, but I'd like you to come take him out of our home and have him involuntarily committed." Even if you make the radical assumption that the caller has enough insight into the suicidal person's state of mind to make that call, it's still a dangerous situation.

Did you read the article, she did not call 911. She called the local police non-emergency number, to get them to come have him committed, which has apparently happened 3 times before.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Even if he was, you don't bring an assault rifle for that situation. Tasers or tear gas or Pepper balls or Batons or beanbags or just about any other non-lethal weapon that can subue a person. Or even better, attempt to speak with the man, rather than play Call of Duty indoors with live ammo.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's not really a radical assumption when you realize that she has dealt with this situation several times already and purposefully called the non-emergency line instead of 911 in an attempt to avoid exactly what ended up happening.

Yes, responding to a suicidal person holding a knife is a dangerous situation. Pretty much any domestic disturbance call is a potentially dangerous situation. Does that mean we are to accept cops showing up in "give me a reason" mode carrying combat rifles to every potentially dangerous call? If that's the case I don't blame that family (or anyone really) for never wanting to deal with the police ever again in any circumstance.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

:raise: But every call is a "potentially dangerous call". If it weren't, they wouldn't need the police. Every traffic stop is potentially dangerous too; does that mean your passenger needs to pop the M4 out the window and keep it trained on the driver the whole time?

They do, of course, but that's idiotic too.

Beanbags and pepper spray don't work against mentally ill subjects often enough to make trying them a good idea. That's what tasers, batons (for disarming and joint locking, not subduing) and the psycho bar is for. If I can literally make you drop whatever's in your hand with a surprise whack from a styrofoam practice baton - and I can - you wouldn't exactly have to swing for the fences with a real one to get your way. Long rifles in an urban environment for one guy with a knife when two dudes, one to do the talking and one to undo the snaps on his pistol holster, do the job* just as well.

(*Subject to the usual "I wasn't there, not my circus not my monkey" disclaimers)

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 29, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Talmonis posted:

Even if he was, you don't bring an assault rifle for that situation. Tasers or tear gas or Pepper balls or Batons or beanbags or just about any other non-lethal weapon that can subue a person. Or even better, attempt to speak with the man, rather than play Call of Duty indoors with live ammo.

I think we're way too obsessed with the optics of a situation. He wouldn't be any less dead if they used a handgun. With the exception of the possible negative reaction of seeing the guns to a person undergoing a mental health crisis, I just don't care if they respond with rifles. Even a loving tank would be fine if once they actually got there they used proper de-escilation techniques and treated killing a human being as the worst possible outcome of any interaction.

The problem with focusing the attention on the tools is that it is extremely easy to fix compared to changing culture. Cops could run around with flower painted Geo Metro convertables with only a handgun, or even no gun, playing "come on get happy" instead of a stiren and none of that would matter if the culture stays the same. They can still shoot people with handguns, beat them, choke them, racially profile, etc. Prosecutorial misconduct and the court's system's blind eye won't be dealt with. It is, however, an easier fix for politicians. Focusing on optics gives them a way to get an easy not fix the core issues. distraction.

I don't even buy that these weapons have increased police brutality. Cops were far worse in the 70s. In the 70s in Balitmore, they wouldn't have bothered to try to cover up Freddie Gray.
What has happened is that because of video and who it is happening to, it has become a lot harder for middle class abd rich white people to ignore.

Obsessing about tanks, DUIs, and AR-15s means you miss the decades long conspiracy between prosecutors and cops to create false testimony and the lie about it. How does that have fewer people up in arms than "some cop got drunk, drove, and was arrested?"

Edit: do cops get CSPBA or just regular non-stab resistant body armor?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

GreyPowerVan posted:

Did you read the article, she did not call 911. She called the local police non-emergency number, to get them to come have him committed, which has apparently happened 3 times before.

It's strange that they didn't have some kind of mental health care worker with them. Wouldn't you need some kind of expert there to talk the guy down enough to be take into custody and transported? It seems like the police should never have been there without help from an expert.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It's strange that they didn't have some kind of mental health care worker with them. Wouldn't you need some kind of expert there to talk the guy down enough to be take into custody and transported? It seems like the police should never have been there without help from an expert.

Its almost as if the police treat the mentally ill like criminals....

nm
Jan 28, 2008

It isn't strange in the US where most police departments don't caee about mental health at all.
LAPD actually has a program where DBH social workers ride along with certain cops. It has been extremely successful in its limited deployment (only a few cops in a few areas). It should be used everywhere at a much higher rate.
There is a funding issue as county level Behavioral Health is massively underfunded, so it isn't like they have staff to spare.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

nm posted:

I think we're way too obsessed with the optics of a situation. He wouldn't be any less dead if they used a handgun. With the exception of the possible negative reaction of seeing the guns to a person undergoing a mental health crisis, I just don't care if they respond with rifles. Even a loving tank would be fine if once they actually got there they used proper de-escilation techniques and treated killing a human being as the worst possible outcome of any interaction.

The problem with focusing the attention on the tools is that it is extremely easy to fix compared to changing culture. Cops could run around with flower painted Geo Metro convertables with only a handgun, or even no gun, playing "come on get happy" instead of a stiren and none of that would matter if the culture stays the same. They can still shoot people with handguns, beat them, choke them, racially profile, etc. Prosecutorial misconduct and the court's system's blind eye won't be dealt with. It is, however, an easier fix for politicians. Focusing on optics gives them a way to get an easy not fix the core issues. distraction.

I don't even buy that these weapons have increased police brutality. Cops were far worse in the 70s. In the 70s in Balitmore, they wouldn't have bothered to try to cover up Freddie Gray.
What has happened is that because of video and who it is happening to, it has become a lot harder for middle class abd rich white people to ignore.

Obsessing about tanks, DUIs, and AR-15s means you miss the decades long conspiracy between prosecutors and cops to create false testimony and the lie about it. How does that have fewer people up in arms than "some cop got drunk, drove, and was arrested?"

The fact that they were carrying rifles isn't about effectiveness of the lethal weapon over a handgun, it's about the intent. You don't bring an assault rifle to any place that you don't intend to shoot up. It's an abnormal thing for them to be carrying into what should be a routine situation that their sidearms and other non-letal deterrants would be perfectly capable of handling.

When did it go from SWAT being the ones with assault rifles and SMG's to patrolmen? That seems pretty insane.

We're not missing that part though. We know it happens and want something done about it just as much as you do. But the more obvious issues of military style armament and tactics, are something we can possibly put adequate pressure on our congressmen to change. The corruption will take one hell of a lot more to root out.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My, that sounds lavish. That's money that could be spent on SWAT.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

nm posted:

But.... but but military weapons :ohdear: Nevermind the fact that an overwhelming majority of police shootings-and in fact most murders-happen with handguns, it's them evil self-shooting black MILITARY ASSAULT rifles that are the problem.

It's basically an easy marker for people after every tragedy that happens. Sandy Hook/Aurora? Ignore the issues with this country's mental health system/lack of enforcement of federal firearms legislation, ban scary rifles. Cops shoot a mentally disturbed individual? ban scary rifles. Gun violence a problem in the US? Ignore systemic issues, ignore what kind of weapons actually get used, BAN SCARY RIFLES.

There's a very specific pattern here: it's easy to make political clout from hand-wringing and ineffectual gestures like AWBs and gear restrictions for the police. It's much harder to propose doomed-to-fail, expensive as hell changes to fix what's actually broken.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

fallin1 posted:

Not a huge shock here but cops ignore judges order and send mentally ill man on a one way bus trip to Florida.

http://www.kentucky.com/2015/05/29/3874508_ignoring-court-order-police-in.html?rh=1

A friend of mine that is a lawyer has already offered to represent him free of charge on any all criminal charges he's now facing.

condensed posted:

Chandler questioned Horine's competence to enter a plea to misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and making verbal threats. She ordered an immediate mental-health examination and transport to Eastern State Hospital in Lexington for a more thorough psychiatric assessment.

About 3 a.m. April 23, 14 hours after Judge Chandler ordered the Eastern State Hospital examination, officer Dickow strolled into the jail. In the video, Dickow chats with the deputies on duty, then slouches on a chair in the corner while waiting for Horine to be brought out. One of the deputies offers Dickow some documents. Dickow declines, saying, "No, I don't need no paperwork."

Among the documents left behind: an "inmate body receipt," which is supposed to show where Horine was being taken, and why. Those spaces on the receipt, which Dickow signed, were left blank.

Acting at the direction of police Chief Michael Willhoite, Officer Ron Dickow drove him 50 miles in a police cruiser to Louisville. Arriving at the Greyhound terminal downtown before dawn, Dickow bought Horine a one-way bus ticket to Florida with money provided by the chief. Dickow forked over the change — about $18 — to Horine. Then he sent the emotionally troubled man on a 28-hour solitary bus ride to the Sunshine State's west coast.

Hours after Horine boarded the bus for his trip south, his picture remained on the jail's website. As a result, the judge and other local officials thought he was still in Carroll County. Chandler issued an additional court order April 24, demanding that police take Horine to the hospital that same day.

Horine arrived safely in Florida and did not harm himself or anyone else. He was arrested in Gulfport, near St. Petersburg, this month after the Kentucky attorney general's office obtained a warrant charging him with second-degree escape, a felony punishable by up to five years in prison.

According to the warrant, Horine left the jail and the state "by bus, with the full knowledge that he was under court order to be transported to Eastern State Hospital."

I know theyre in backwater Kentucky and all, but Im shocked he's actually facing additional felony charges for 'escaping from jail' when officers just took him away and pushed him onto a long distance bus.

I hope your friend is able to help clear his name, and Horine is able to get what treatment he needs. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

nm posted:

The issue I have with them packing AR-15s to a suicide crisis call has nothing to do with optics or the tactical minutiae of the weapon and everything to do with mentality and culture. You're right, he wouldn't be any less dead if they had used their service pistols instead of rifles, but what kind of mentality or culture makes you believe that anything beyond your service pistol as a last resort is necessary for a call like that? It's not a mentality that's going to even attempt de-escalation, that's for drat sure in this case at least. They told him to drop the knife, he didn't comply immediately, and they shot him instantly where he laid in the bed. No risks were going to be taken to save the man's life if it put the officers in any danger whatsoever. It doesn't matter that they were called specifically to save the man's life, the man had a weapon, therefore he is a threat, and the threat must be neutralized with overwhelming force.

loving animal control departments willingly take more personal risk in dealing with bears and alligators to prevent killing them if it's not absolutely necessary.

• Locked thread