Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Clock Tower Scissors Guy is like the least scary villain ever. Look at his silly little outfit! Tee hee hee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Niggurath posted:

Actually the DLC that just came out for Evil Within is pretty much Condemned but you play as one of the bosses from the game and you have a big gently caress off hammer. It's pretty fun.

And the reason it's like Condemned....cause it's entirely from the first person and it's super weird.

That actually sounds... pretty interesting actually. Would you say it's worth it at 50% off with the DLC or would say I should wait for a bigger sale?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
short people are always scary.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Songbearer posted:

Clock Tower Scissors Guy is like the least scary villain ever. Look at his silly little outfit! Tee hee hee!

I think the original dude in the SNES game is creepy, not like the shuffling hunchback from the PS1 game who gets defeated by throwing a blanket over his head. The biggest issue is Clock Tower's rather lackluster sound design. The actual noise the scissors make snapping together is hilarious and ruins any kind of tension. Now this is how you do a scissor wielding maniac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH8ynu0jRvY

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
After playing Clock Tower 3 up until the part you find out about Chopper, this is all I really remember of it other than a little girl getting her head smashed in with a hammer and a old lady and her son getting murdered with acid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co8QXS2frQI

Alisa, where are you?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

blackguy32 posted:

After playing Clock Tower 3 up until the part you find out about Chopper, this is all I really remember of it other than a little girl getting her head smashed in with a hammer and a old lady and her son getting murdered with acid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co8QXS2frQI

Alisa, where are you?
You missed out on Alyssa's grandpa turning into Cervantes from Soul Calibur while Alyssa turns into Sophitia and they have an utterly bullshit final boss fight.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I legit want a It Came From the Desert game. Make it a pseudo open world game in a small desert town.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

I really wish I could find a decent extended version of Clock Tower 3's boss theme, it was the best drat song in the game, but the only version I could ever find cuts off right after it introduces the heavy drum part :(

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

That actually sounds... pretty interesting actually. Would you say it's worth it at 50% off with the DLC or would say I should wait for a bigger sale?
I thought the story DLC's were great and that the third DLC is fun, but hmmm, I'm not sure how much cheaper it'll get. I will say that the story DLC is like another 5-6 hours of game play which was pretty good, but the boss FPS poo poo is apparently only like two hours or less.

If anything I just appreciated the fact that the story DLC really still tried to mix things up and like the first half or so of the story DLC has your character completely unarmed and defenseless. It was pretty terrifying and tense, and I never really felt that way during the main story.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

1stGear posted:

The most apt way I heard of describing The Evil Within is that its Silent Hill by way of Resident Evil.

Also the plot makes literally no sense unless you play the DLCs but the DLCs are actually pretty good .

Niggurath posted:

Actually the DLC that just came out for Evil Within is pretty much Condemned but you play as one of the bosses from the game and you have a big gently caress off hammer. It's pretty fun.

And the reason it's like Condemned....cause it's entirely from the first person and it's super weird.

Wow, I'd had no idea that the DLC was actually good for Evil Within. I'll pick it up next steam sale. Thanks for the tip!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

The most apt way I heard of describing The Evil Within is that its Silent Hill by way of Resident Evil.

Also the plot makes literally no sense unless you play the DLCs but the DLCs are actually pretty good .

See I think the plot does make sense, it's just that it tries to present itself as being more complex than it really is. It's one of those things where it just doesn't tell you anything about what's going on for most of the game, but when the big reveal does happen it's kind of like "Oh. That was it?" Like there's easily a dozen of different things they could have come up with that would have been more interesting than the actual story they used.

What doesn't really make sense is what the player's actions during most of the game are meant to accomplish. You basically stumble through a bunch of basically disconnected levels with no idea about where you're meant to be headed or why, and occasionally stumble across a set piece that gives you some backstory on the villain. The game really feels like a bunch of different horror themed levels that were designed by separate people and pasted together at the last minute.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 29, 2015

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

What doesn't really make sense is what the player's actions during most of the game are meant to accomplish. You basically stumble through a bunch of basically disconnected levels with no idea about where you're meant to be headed or why, and occasionally stumble across a set piece that gives you some backstory on the villain. The game really feels like a bunch of different horror themed levels that were designed by separate people and pasted together at the last minute.

The DLC reveals that this is because Sebastian was accomplishing basically nothing. All he and Joseph were doing was stumbling around in confusion and distracting Ruvik while Kidman was doing the only thing that mattered: hunting Leslie.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Does the dlc expand on why the game ends with them still being stuck in the alternate reality

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Relin posted:

Does the dlc expand on why the game ends with them still being stuck in the alternate reality

They weren't. Ruvik successfully possessed Leslie and escaped.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

The DLC reveals that this is because Sebastian was accomplishing basically nothing. All he and Joseph were doing was stumbling around in confusion and distracting Ruvik while Kidman was doing the only thing that mattered: hunting Leslie.

That stuff is all pretty clear in the base game too. My point is really that it's just kind of dumb to put the player in a role where basically nothing you do matters and the entire game is just stumbling around until you reach the final boss.

As a contrast, the Silent Hill games tend to have the protagonist not knowing what's going on at all, but they still have clearly defined goals - Harry is looking for his daughter, James is looking for his wife, etc. The protagonists actions may or may not be doing anything to fight the evil that's taken over the town, but they're always doing something towards those primary goals. Harry in SH1 actually does a lot of stuff that HELPS the evil taking over the town, but he only does it because he's convinced by Dahlia Gillespie that it will help him find his daughter (he also doesn't know it's making things worse). Most of the locations in the game are visited because Harry finds some evidence that suggests his daughter might be there.

*edit* I probably don't need to spoiler a 15 year old game, but since there were people in the thread mentioning they hadn't played it I might as well.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 29, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

Wow, I'd had no idea that the DLC was actually good for Evil Within. I'll pick it up next steam sale. Thanks for the tip!
Really I'd say to maybe watch a little bit of someone's play through, maybe like the first five or ten minutes to see what it's like. Cause personally I enjoyed most of Evil Within and the DLC was just more of what I enjoyed.

Also on a not Evil Within note, but is Dreadout worth re-installing to play Act 2? I haven't heard much about it and the long delay kinda killed my interest, but I was thinking that it might be worth playing the second episode.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

1stGear posted:

They weren't. Ruvik successfully possessed Leslie and escaped.
But Sebastian still gets that migraine that was established to only happen to people who were within the similacrum

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The Evil Within kind of fucks up because it introduces a bunch of mystery and then never really does poo poo with it. Like the stuff with your family or the nurse.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Relin posted:

But Sebastian still gets that migraine that was established to only happen to people who were within the similacrum

Huh, yeah, had forgotten that. My only explanation that isn't supported by anything in the game is that its some kind of residual effect caused by seeing Leslie/Ruvik.

The end of the DLC makes it clear they're out of the machine in order to set up all the necessary sequel hooks.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

The Evil Within kind of fucks up because it introduces a bunch of mystery and then never really does poo poo with it. Like the stuff with your family or the nurse.
I was pretty certain that Sebastian's wife was investigating Ruben's early killings, and that that connection helps Sebastian to connect with the memories and STEM better, and that the nurse was an employee of not-Umbrella (unless you meant another nurse in the game). Also the DLC reveals the guy drowned out in light that Sebastian sees in the cells is a reporter who was investigating something regarding Beacon and it's experiments.

Relin posted:

I get the impression that Sebastian is still getting these migraines to illustrate that the machine is now no longer just a possible cause for hallucinations; that instead Leslie/Ruben is pretty much a mobile STEM.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That stuff is all pretty clear in the base game too. My point is really that it's just kind of dumb to put the player in a role where basically nothing you do matters and the entire game is just stumbling around until you reach the final boss.

I can understand this. "Bad end/Your actions were entirely meaningless" can work from a story standpoint. But once you start putting that stuff in a hands on playable format you are more likely to invite "Well, I just wasted my loving time didn't I?" reactions when you reach the end. Even if it was a well written example of such things that would probably be a national best seller or something if it was a book.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
After reading this thread I decided to play some Condemned again and I've realized that holy poo poo I don't understand the timing on blocking at all.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Gobblecoque posted:

After reading this thread I decided to play some Condemned again and I've realized that holy poo poo I don't understand the timing on blocking at all.

Don't even try with the more powerful weapons like fire axes or whatever, the window is quite small. If you're used to it, it's perfectly usable, but if you're not sure of the timing to begin with it's just going to frustrate you. Use lighter weapons like small pipes, it's easier to get into a block and riposte cadence.

Later on in the game when it starts throwing multiple enemies at once at you that won't work quite so well, but hopefully by that time you'll be more familiar with the timing.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syhcF0Mx0j0

September 22.

e: Between this and the initial teaser, I think it's pretty safe to assume we're a robot. I hope that's not some kinda twist because they made it pretty obvious!

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Yeah, I hope they do a little more with it than that, but I have a feeling they will.

I also hope there are more unique gameplay trailers coming, because what got me excited for SOMA was stuff like this and this. This trailer is cool and all, but it feels more like Amnesia again with a sci-fi paintjob.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

I can understand this. "Bad end/Your actions were entirely meaningless" can work from a story standpoint. But once you start putting that stuff in a hands on playable format you are more likely to invite "Well, I just wasted my loving time didn't I?" reactions when you reach the end. Even if it was a well written example of such things that would probably be a national best seller or something if it was a book.

I think it's less about the reaction at the end and more about the motivation to keep going as you're playing. If it's not clear at all what you're supposed to be doing or why it would matter, it's super easy to just stop playing and not care enough to ever start again. Even if your actions are ultimately meaningless, it should at least FEEL like they have a point at the time.

Obviously if the gameplay is interesting enough on its own then this matters less, but it still helps to have some kind of direction from a pure gameplay perspective just so players have some sense of how far along they are.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

BlackFrost posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syhcF0Mx0j0

September 22.

e: Between this and the initial teaser, I think it's pretty safe to assume we're a robot. I hope that's not some kinda twist because they made it pretty obvious!

I wouldn't say this looks particularly scary. Like Amnesia, you just feel this overwhelming sense of dread in like EVERY part of the castle. It was so scary that it made it difficult to keep playing it, just out of fear. This though it doesn't look all that scary, for whatever reason. It's just 12 minutes of course, and maybe it'll be different when you're actually controlling it yourself, but it didn't seem like it had the scary atmosphere that Amnesia did. The monster robot thing wasn't really all that scary, although the noises it made were kind of unsettling. It almost felt like the beginning parts of Portal 2, just not nearly as lighthearted.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I wouldn't say this looks particularly scary. Like Amnesia, you just feel this overwhelming sense of dread in like EVERY part of the castle. It was so scary that it made it difficult to keep playing it, just out of fear. This though it doesn't look all that scary, for whatever reason. It's just 12 minutes of course, and maybe it'll be different when you're actually controlling it yourself, but it didn't seem like it had the scary atmosphere that Amnesia did. The monster robot thing wasn't really all that scary, although the noises it made were kind of unsettling. It almost felt like the beginning parts of Portal 2, just not nearly as lighthearted.

I was talking to one of the sound designers on the game, and one of the first things he said was that he was kind of disappointed with the game capture, at least the quality. He made it sound like it wasn't a great representation of what the game will be like, but that they also wanted to do a section that wouldn't give anything away that hadn't already been hinted at in the teaser videos. Apparently there are big underwater sections that are pretty surreal, too.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

MockingQuantum posted:

Apparently there are big underwater sections that are pretty surreal, too.

See, this is what would terrify me. I'm hopeful about Soma.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Even if the gameplay itself isn't terrifying (and for all we know it might be-- that was a pretty short, chill section), the story already seems to be going the route of 'subtle, horrific implications', kind of like the short story 'The Extra' (worth a read btw, especially if you're in this thread).

Regardless, I'm pumped. I wonder if that bit at the end was a choice point? It looked like you could choose to shut off the power on Carl, instead.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I love horror games with serious enemy presence on top of an already terrifying game. Silent Hill 3 (as I mentioned earlier), Alien: Isolation, Resident Evil 3 (although 'terrifying' is a little dubious)... any other great games with unrelenting enemies? Amnesia is almost perfect, but the enemies and encounters are too scripted. I love games where you can either kill the enemies, but they're incredibly tough and numerous, or you can't at all and you have to rely on stealth, tactics, or traps.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think it's less about the reaction at the end and more about the motivation to keep going as you're playing. If it's not clear at all what you're supposed to be doing or why it would matter, it's super easy to just stop playing and not care enough to ever start again. Even if your actions are ultimately meaningless, it should at least FEEL like they have a point at the time.

Obviously if the gameplay is interesting enough on its own then this matters less, but it still helps to have some kind of direction from a pure gameplay perspective just so players have some sense of how far along they are.
Yeah, its more motivation to keep the player invested than just ending on a downer. For example Red Dead Redemption was essentially one big downer but it worked really well and I don't think anyone felt cheated.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 30, 2015

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Alabaster White posted:

I love horror games with serious enemy presence on top of an already terrifying game. Silent Hill 3 (as I mentioned earlier), Alien: Isolation, Resident Evil 3 (although 'terrifying' is a little dubious)... any other great games with unrelenting enemies? Amnesia is almost perfect, but the enemies and encounters are too scripted. I love games where you can either kill the enemies, but they're incredibly tough and numerous, or you can't at all and you have to rely on stealth, tactics, or traps.

Odds are you played them, but the first two Dead Space games had an unkilliable enemy who stalked you in sections, and that was pretty drat scary for me.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I'm pretty hopeful about SOMA, though I think it'll be way harder for them to make a "splash" this time around. After the Penumbras and Amnesia, and then Alien Isolation as well which was a pretty popular game, I think it'll be harder to really get under the skin with the first-person, hide from monster type of gameplay this time around. I believe they've said in the past that they want to go more disturbing places with the story (exploring the conciousness) as well to make the player feel uncomfortable. It's hard to tell from what's been released so far, but the kind of sci-fi "mechanical nightmare" thing could be extremely terrifying if they pull it off. But yeah, if the gameplay is mainly the "hide from monster in the dark" then I see the game having a lot less of an impact.
And like others have said, I hope us being a robot or something isn't the main twist of the game, that'd be disappointing. I mean, I'd be completely fine with them exploring that angle just... hope they won't hang up the rest of the game on such a twist.

Still, judging from their blog and such, it seems like they definitely want to really penetrate the horror-genre. They really think it through. And I'm pretty drat sure this will scare me pretty bad even if it just Amnesia reskinned. Amnesia still scared the crap out of me when I replayed it last year.

And it'll be good to see some sci-fi horror. I thought Alien: Isolation was, while visually impressive, a huge letdown and not very scary at all.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I was going to say the Evil Within DLC, but it's pretty scripted unfortunately. The main monster you have to avoid in the stealth sections is pretty hosed up though, and the Slenderman clone is probably one of the more unnerving and effective examples of him I've seen in a game.

Funnily enough if that Slenderman monster does catch you it gives you one of the most horrific, yet least bloody, deaths in the game. I think the designers finally twigged on that leaving gore and blood to the imagination can be far more effective than just outright mutilating you.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Odds are you played them, but the first two Dead Space games had an unkilliable enemy who stalked you in sections, and that was pretty drat scary for me.

Until you realise how they work and it's all :geno:.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BlackFrost posted:

September 22.

I'm not even following this game but the screen occasionally glitches and you have some heavy drat footsteps so yeah, it's pretty obvious.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Like every other comment on that video is "I figured out the twist, you're a robot ", I'm sure there's more to it.

MarkVega
Jan 1, 2008
Just lookin'.
Considering the glitched view: I thought Simon had human hands (link) when he fell off the broken ladder. Also a meaty thud when he hit the floor. Might as well question what the hell yer seeing in the game is real at all. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Niggurath posted:

Also on a not Evil Within note, but is Dreadout worth re-installing to play Act 2? I haven't heard much about it and the long delay kinda killed my interest, but I was thinking that it might be worth playing the second episode.
It depends on how much you like the overall concept, and the low budget Fatal Frame feel. I liked Act 2 more than Act 1, there are more varied locations and some interesting parts, and you finally get a better camera, but I can't say it's a great game. There are a couple terrible chase scenes in Act 2 you have to suffer through too. Still, the local folklore is really interesting, and it was fun to try to get all the ghost pictures.

If you do play it, I'd recommend going through Act 1 again first. Just get a walkthrough and it will take about an hour.