Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
For some reason I got the urge to load up Live For Speed today. It's been nearly 4 years or more since I played it, but by god the driving holds up well. It's been great fun blasting around blackwood again.

It's a shame that all the multiplayer servers are drift only now. I'd love to do some actual racing in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Now that's one helpful Assetto post. I just need to figure what I want.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

tehsid posted:

For some reason I got the urge to load up Live For Speed today. It's been nearly 4 years or more since I played it, but by god the driving holds up well. It's been great fun blasting around blackwood again.

It's a shame that all the multiplayer servers are drift only now. I'd love to do some actual racing in it.

There's drift servers sure, but there's still race servers around. If you look for the servers with cargame.nl in the name, those are generally the most popular public racing servers.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZaC_w9ejTA

Please give me tips on how to not be a terrible shitlord at this game

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Brake earlier. Corners, especially hairpins, are not about how quickly you can drive into them, but how quickly you can start accelerating again.

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 25, 2015

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Yeah, hairpins are all about keeping your revs up so you can fly out of them.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Pikes peak motherfuckers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A6WusIwZsE

:dance:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/310560/announcements/detail/141080907496037415

Warning, its 5GB

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Yes, yesss, YESSSS :flashfap:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Loads of other little changes to career too, might end up restarting that mode just so I can spend my money on something other than engineer slots.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Keket posted:

Pikes peak motherfuckers!

I am prepared to die.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Isn't Pikes fully paved now?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Yep. This new update has both fully paved and mixed surface versions of it.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Yep. This new update has both fully paved and mixed surface versions of it.

There is a God and this is proof.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'd love to see a modified version where you run Pikes downhill. I think that could be really fun.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

I'm pretty sure the shots in that video correspond with shots from Climb Dance too aaaaaaa

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Vando posted:

I'm pretty sure the shots in that video correspond with shots from Climb Dance too aaaaaaa

Not quite, but there's very obvious inspiration. The 405 includes Ari Vatanen's livery. :swoon:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Bentai posted:

I'd love to see a modified version where you run Pikes downhill. I think that could be really fun.

Brake murder is what that would be.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

Loads of other little changes to career too, might end up restarting that mode just so I can spend my money on something other than engineer slots.
Just race more to get more money again? It's not like you start with a spectacularly large sum that was squandered on crew slots (although it is pretty annoying they couldn't reimburse the 300~350k dropped there). Besides, money gets easier going up (kind of... I think Pro, maybe Elite, Events are actually peak money per time invested), the 60's cars that you can start with are pretty much the worst for getting money again in (since they're so much slower than anything else).

Haven't loaded up to see the changes first hand, but the list doesn't entice me heavily, mostly just touch-up fixes to pretty minor issues. Also really disappointed there's not even a single modernish Pikes Peak car like the Suzuki Escudo, let alone an actual new one, because I was kind of hoping to get a stab at some of the absurd greater than 1 HP per kg things that have been par for the course since the mid-90's and instead we get a bunch of 80's hill climb cars to go with the unpaved version and zero cars to go with the paved version that they brag about being the first game to yet implement it. :confused: :smith:

Will probably dabble a bit with this update, but I'll probably keep it mostly shelved (played the three base rallies ad nauseam since they're really only two rally stages apiece chopped into 12 pieces... I hope to all hopes they open up fan stage creation at some point) in favor of PCars for my racing fix like I have been after a couple weeks of intense play on Dirt.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Now that things are as they should be (cars are fully upgraded for custom events), the only thing keeping me in career is cheevos...

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Now that things are as they should be (cars are fully upgraded for custom events), the only thing keeping me in career is cheevos...

You still need to unlock cars for the weekly/monthly online events afaik.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I put up a short event to see who can recreate Climb Dance with the fastest time.

If anyone would like the ability to organize goon rallies, let me know what your name is on RaceNet and I'll promote you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Posted this in the pcars thread but then got linked here.

Anyone know of some good plans for a relatively sturdy homebrew wheel stand? Or lessons learned from someone that's tried it? I've used an ikea tv tray for years with a microsoft 360 wheel and that was fine, but since I upgraded to a fanatec wheel it's not stable enough to really be any fun.. hard steering unsettles the thing badly. I could probably just freewheel my own solution but there has to be someone out there that's already gone through this.

A proper cockpit isn't an option due to space, but if I can rig up something that is easy to move to the front of my desk I should do okay. The tv tray is actually just about perfect size wise, but like I say it's just not stable enough anymore.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Jehde posted:

I put up a short event to see who can recreate Climb Dance with the fastest time.

If anyone would like the ability to organize goon rallies, let me know what your name is on RaceNet and I'll promote you.

I'll happily organize some for sure! its either this username on RaceNet, or keketcat, i really cant remember which one i have.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

xzzy posted:

Posted this in the pcars thread but then got linked here.

Anyone know of some good plans for a relatively sturdy homebrew wheel stand? Or lessons learned from someone that's tried it? I've used an ikea tv tray for years with a microsoft 360 wheel and that was fine, but since I upgraded to a fanatec wheel it's not stable enough to really be any fun.. hard steering unsettles the thing badly. I could probably just freewheel my own solution but there has to be someone out there that's already gone through this.

A proper cockpit isn't an option due to space, but if I can rig up something that is easy to move to the front of my desk I should do okay. The tv tray is actually just about perfect size wise, but like I say it's just not stable enough anymore.

I have an Obutto oZone myself, but I saw on the pCARS forums that there's apparently something at Home Depot that you might be able to use? 30 bucks and you can simply return it if it doesn't work out.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?25340-I-found-the-perfect-DRIVER-STAND-(at-Home-Depot!)

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
I must be some kind of illiterate retard or something because I thought PPIHC was best of two times. Is it actually a practice run followed by a competitive run, or an average of two times? Because I dropped a 9:45 and figured "well, I can just retire out of this one since I'm already #FasterThanAri" but then I dropped to the bottom of the scoreboard with the max time :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Essobie posted:

I have an Obutto oZone myself, but I saw on the pCARS forums that there's apparently something at Home Depot that you might be able to use? 30 bucks and you can simply return it if it doesn't work out.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?25340-I-found-the-perfect-DRIVER-STAND-(at-Home-Depot!)

That's interesting, especially for the price, but the stand looks super wobbly and I'm not sure how I'd deal with the pedals.

I found a number of DIY type solutions with a google image search that I think should be enough to get ideas from, I just need to measure things out and buy a 2x4 to cut up and bolt together.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

xzzy posted:

That's interesting, especially for the price, but the stand looks super wobbly and I'm not sure how I'd deal with the pedals.
He posts some pics of how he sets it up on page 3 of that thread. Looks functional, but not ideal (stand parts in the way of comfortable pedal use). That said, most DIY ones look much nicer, but, for an easy stowing away option at $30, it doesn't seem like a bad find.

I doubt it's wobbly if it's designed for shop use since that'd be a notable safety hazard.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

SealHammer posted:

I must be some kind of illiterate retard or something because I thought PPIHC was best of two times. Is it actually a practice run followed by a competitive run, or an average of two times? Because I dropped a 9:45 and figured "well, I can just retire out of this one since I'm already #FasterThanAri" but then I dropped to the bottom of the scoreboard with the max time :(

maybe u should have looked at the rules for the real hill climb, idiot fucker

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

xzzy posted:

I found a number of DIY type solutions with a google image search that I think should be enough to get ideas from, I just need to measure things out and buy a 2x4 to cut up and bolt together.

If you happen to not feel like doing it yourself, I highly recommend a wheelstand pro. It is super sturdy and doesn't take a lot of space. It is kinda pricey but it was worth the money for me. But then again, I am not very handy and there is no way that I would be able to build something similar myself.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Torabi posted:

If you happen to not feel like doing it yourself, I highly recommend a wheelstand pro. It is super sturdy and doesn't take a lot of space. It is kinda pricey but it was worth the money for me. But then again, I am not very handy and there is no way that I would be able to build something similar myself.

I'll second this, I have one and it's great. The pole in the middle doesn't get in the way like you think it will.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KillHour posted:

And way more cool toys than I could ever hope for. Can I come live with you, instead?

Only if you're willing to go through a sex change.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

Only if you're willing to go through a sex change.

:eek:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

In all seriousness though I'm pretty much done buying expensive toys. I'm going to downsize shortly.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

jonathan posted:

In all seriousness though I'm pretty much done buying expensive toys. I'm going to downsize shortly.

keep us in mind ; )

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dibs on the projector setup!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Alright. I'm dangerously close to finally getting a cockpit. Do I get the Obuto Revolution, or does anyone know of a better ready made solution? Trying to keep it around a grand or less.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Speaking of. I think I'm going to build a race cockpit out of spite. Those obutto's are 2x the price in Canada. I have all the woodworking tools I need. Can anyone direct me to a set if plans for something good ?

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

jonathan posted:

Speaking of. I think I'm going to build a race cockpit out of spite. Those obutto's are 2x the price in Canada. I have all the woodworking tools I need. Can anyone direct me to a set if plans for something good ?

Read through some of the posts here: http://www.isrtv.com/forums/forum/104-diy-plans-only/

I'm about 90% happy with the oZone, but if I had the time and ability, I would have changed a few things about it.

Whatever you do, get a very comfy seat for your setup.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

SealHammer posted:

It is the best of 2 times but you have to complete both runs. Aborting a run means DNFing the entire event.

I'm glad you did though, because it puts my 10:04 at the top of the leaderboard despite having to reset the car once :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Norns posted:

Alright. I'm dangerously close to finally getting a cockpit. Do I get the Obuto Revolution, or does anyone know of a better ready made solution? Trying to keep it around a grand or less.

Ready made isn't necessary. See if there is any 80/20 for sale locally. It's all sliding track. So you don't need plans. If you want the steering wheel there, just slide all the joints and BAM, the steering wheel is right where you want it. After how much adjusting and playing around with different seating positions I did, I was very glad I had the 80/20. I could adjust anything. Pedal height, invert my pedals, move things up, down, closer, farther. It's like loving Lego. I didn't measure a drat thing in my whole build. I just put poo poo where I thought it should go, and adjusted from there.

Some guy was selling an 80/20 display cart for 150$. I took it all apart and made this:

It had some flex. And I didn't bother cutting any of the long pieces. But it was a great start. A few more reinforcement pieces and it would have been perfect.

• Locked thread