Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Foxhound posted:

Cat getting a haircut, can't tell if it is angry as balls or enjoying it.

http://i.imgur.com/9s31eLw.gifv

I see no human blood so my guess is enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLz1GSkJeks

Stinkcat

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Omg it very adorably charges teeth first into battle

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My mom rescued a de-stinkified skunk from her neighbor when she was a kid. "Rescued" because they were horrible to it.
She says it was like having a cat that wasn't an rear end in a top hat or some kind of cool nearly-silent dog.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Haruharuharuko posted:

Lions really are just big house cats
http://i.imgur.com/1vgBd0X.webm

Doesn't exactly look like a barrel of laughs in there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I have absolutely no frame of reference for a skunk's behaviour and initially thought it was actually attacking. But the universal language of belly rubs soon let me realise it was play time.

Are they all so quiet?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Pretty much all members of the Musteloidea superfamily have the same behavior and make the same sounds. The most you'll ever hear from a skunk, badger, wolverine or ferret is a soft chuckling kind of sound when they're really excited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KpqiBhyP7Q

Otters are the exception:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4muQOgayq8

But they still make the same sound as the others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ_Krei6EKw

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I rescued a baby crow today. I didn't have the foresight to take pictures but it looked almost fully grown with white tufts on its wings. I found it hopping about in the path by my house, so I led it into the back garden and called the RSPCA to rescue it. The lady that came said that they would have to hand rear it, and that the parents would likely be looking for it. I can hear them cawing outside, which is a bit of a bummer, but hey at least the baby will survive. So yes I'm requesting crow stuff, please.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I read about skunks on Wikipedia and found this 1630s description amusing:

quote:

The other is a low animal, about the size of a little dog or cat. I mention it here, not on account of its excellence, but to make of it a symbol of sin. I have seen three or four of them. It has black fur, quite beautiful and shining; and has upon its back two perfectly white stripes, which join near the neck and tail, making an oval which adds greatly to their grace. The tail is bushy and well furnished with hair, like the tail of a Fox; it carries it curled back like that of a Squirrel. It is more white than black; and, at the first glance, you would say, especially when it walks, that it ought to be called Jupiter's little dog. But it is so stinking, and casts so foul an odor, that it is unworthy of being called the dog of Pluto. No sewer ever smelled so bad. I would not have believed it if I had not smelled it myself. Your heart almost fails you when you approach the animal; two have been killed in our court, and several days afterward there was such a dreadful odor throughout our house that we could not endure it. I believe the sin smelled by Saint Catherine de Sienne must have had the same vile odor.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I rescued a baby crow today. I didn't have the foresight to take pictures but it looked almost fully grown with white tufts on its wings. I found it hopping about in the path by my house, so I led it into the back garden and called the RSPCA to rescue it. The lady that came said that they would have to hand rear it, and that the parents would likely be looking for it. I can hear them cawing outside, which is a bit of a bummer, but hey at least the baby will survive. So yes I'm requesting crow stuff, please.

Totally missed out on feeding and watching the bugger to gain their trust and have your own flock of trained corvids :black101:

kender
Dec 15, 2000
Forum Veteran

Gorilla Salad posted:

I have absolutely no frame of reference for a skunk's behaviour and initially thought it was actually attacking. But the universal language of belly rubs soon let me realise it was play time.

Are they all so quiet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueGERaVwJiI

They like hitting stuff and making noise when playing or angry.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
All weaseloids are pretty drat awesome.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
A while back, someone posted the Sheffield peregrine family. I've been following both them and the Salt Lake City peregrines for about two years. Except the thing is, this year in SLC, the female half of the pair was found on the ground and diagnosed with aspergillus but is expected to recover and possibly be an educational raptor. Anyway, the webcams are still on and capturing a pigeon family that happened to move in. The egg just hatched today.

Look at that ugly little thumb-thing. It was born among the bones of its fallen brethren. :black101: Seriously, the parents built their nest partially from the bones of other pigeons that fell prey to the falcons.

Admittedly, not as cool as watching peregrines grow up, but nice nonetheless.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Sea lion chilling on a police boat:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I loving love crows. FWIW, if you regularly have crows outside, keep in mind that they do that all the drat time so it may be unrelated crows. And yeah, at least the little guys are safe. You probably already know this, but a group of crows is a murder, and a group of ravens is an unkindness. Which is hilarious since both birds are pretty chill. They're not aggressive predators*, just skillful opportunists. If they can't crack a nut, they'll lay it in the street for cars to run over. If they can't crack a carcass, they'll imitate wild animals to come and break it open so they can get the remnants.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19042_6-terrifying-ways-crows-are-way-smarter-than-you-think.html

As cool as it is to just look at crows, even more awesome is crow facts!

http://www.avesnoir.com/10-really-weird-crow-facts/

Crows are awesome and anyone who thinks differently is a big dumb dingleberry.

*mostly. They can be aggressive out of necessity, but aren't assholes like bluejays.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Crow loving poo poo talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbzgu_qaxPM

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Not a crow, but still pretty rad.

Edit:

cptn_dr has a new favorite as of 06:05 on May 29, 2015

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

At first glance I thought that was a dog with its head stuck in a log and now I'm sad it's not. :(

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Ili pika

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Aren't the ones with white on the tips Currawongs? Or are they forest ravens? I know Currawongs love getting drunk on apple cider because they used to bother the hell out of tourists when they got tipsy close to where I live.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kennel posted:

Ili pika

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Kennel posted:

Ili pika

Capybaras make me think "I'm sorry I'm not good enough". Viscachas make me think "I'm sorry I have not yet attained enlightenment, master". This li'l guy? "I'm sorry I scared you".

So sorry, adorable fuzzy critters.
:smith:

(Quokkas make me think life is OK, though!)

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

kinmik posted:

A while back, someone posted the Sheffield peregrine family. I've been following both them and the Salt Lake City peregrines for about two years. Except the thing is, this year in SLC, the female half of the pair was found on the ground and diagnosed with aspergillus but is expected to recover and possibly be an educational raptor. Anyway, the webcams are still on and capturing a pigeon family that happened to move in. The egg just hatched today.

Look at that ugly little thumb-thing. It was born among the bones of its fallen brethren. :black101: Seriously, the parents built their nest partially from the bones of other pigeons that fell prey to the falcons.

Admittedly, not as cool as watching peregrines grow up, but nice nonetheless.
Our falcon family at the University of Pittsburgh had a scare earlier this week with the chick (info here: http://www.wqed.org/birdblog/2015/05/25/this-is-not-normal/, picture in the blog is kind of disturbing ) but it appears to be doing just fine now. Such a cute little bugger with those doofy clown feets.

Unfortunately, an eagle family in the city that also has a nest cam lost all of their eggs this year. Such a bummer because watching them grow up last year was so fun.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wrageowrapper posted:

Aren't the ones with white on the tips Currawongs? Or are they forest ravens? I know Currawongs love getting drunk on apple cider because they used to bother the hell out of tourists when they got tipsy close to where I live.

UK here, so while those Aussie crows sound cool, mine was just an adolescent carrion crow which hadn't fully shed its baby plumage.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7tHTLd-WWA

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

This is my favourite GIF of all time, and I constantly refer to it when I am feeling sad. I used to work in a pet store and my favourite part about the weather getting cold was the promise of getting to watch the new dog boot walk.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cash crab posted:

This is my favourite GIF of all time, and I constantly refer to it when I am feeling sad. I used to work in a pet store and my favourite part about the weather getting cold was the promise of getting to watch the new dog boot walk.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

:3: Eee, puss in boots walk is good, too. Okay, official request for animals wearing clothes. I will begin.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Needs the accompanying GIF of Charlie covering his ears while the cat walks across the table to the dubbed-in clanging and crashing sounds.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0N4jc0aTW0

The cat at 0:47

:dogbutton:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

He does a great job of not cracking up when the cat falls off. He barely flinches.

Bumblefuck!
Jan 20, 2007

Went back to MEOW to visit all the kitties (well, also to do IT stuff, but mostly kitty-visiting), and have returned with some pictures!

Crackerjack is still around, engaging in some of his favorite hobbies;

Yelling at me for not continuing to pet him for the one second it took to take this picture

And rolling around on my shoes for some reason

This is June, who is 12 years old, and spends pretty much all of her time sat exactly like this, in this exact spot

Here is Rosie, looking like a panther

This is Sally being a bit upset that some jerk is taking her picture instead of feeding her

And then there's Scooby, who is too cool to look into the camera

And finally, a little Frankie news! She's doing very well at her new home. Here she is, enjoying her welcome home gift, a brand new cat tree!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I recognize the body language for that "awww yisss" head-rub on the cat tree :3: That's a happy cat.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Bumblefuck! posted:

Went back to MEOW to visit all the kitties (well, also to do IT stuff, but mostly kitty-visiting), and have returned with some pictures!

Yelling at me for not continuing to pet him for the one second it took to take this picture

This is June, who is 12 years old, and spends pretty much all of her time sat exactly like this, in this exact spot

Here is Rosie, looking like a panther

This is Sally being a bit upset that some jerk is taking her picture instead of feeding her

And then there's Scooby, who is too cool to look into the camera

And finally, a little Frankie news! She's doing very well at her new home. Here she is, enjoying her welcome home gift, a brand new cat tree!

If I lived nearby I would totally adopt Crackerjack and/or Rosie :3:

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Bumblefuck! posted:

I want this cat and I am so, so glad I do not live near you so I can have it (only because I have two already :( ). That little mark above his eye is awesome.

And this is just goddamn adorable.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Bobby Digital posted:

If I lived nearby I would totally adopt Crackerjack and/or Rosie :3:

I want June for the :catstare: and maybe Scooby because he seems deeply concerned by the strange camera man.

And have a headbirb (with a hastily edited out sweaty old man torso)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Transmogrifier posted:

At first glance I thought that was a dog with its head stuck in a log and now I'm sad it's not. :(

It's probably for the best because the capy wouldn't care and would just keep on munching flowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Chupanebrae
Feb 14, 2012
I am just head over heels for Frankie! Is there any way that her new owners can give you updates and pictures on the reg or take over the Facebook account? Requesting silly nakey kitties in the meantime

• Locked thread