Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Oh hey, the M preview is up for flashing. I should make my phone unusable now. bee are bee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Craptacular! posted:

All I remember was holding down on notifications to see what app initiated it, so you know whose notification privileges should be revoked. They did ship that.

Managed to dig up an article: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...ils-are-scarce/

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Oh hey, the M preview is up for flashing. I should make my phone unusable now. bee are bee

Link for lazy Nexus 5,6,9 and Player owners: http://developer.android.com/preview/download.html

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Vagrancy posted:

Link for lazy Nexus 5,6,9 and Player owners: http://developer.android.com/preview/download.html

No Nexus 7? :(
Wasn't the N5 released just a few months after the 7?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
"What's New in Android" starting, basically a second keynote for just Android M:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhlpJ1ELAVw

Aimed at developers but normals should be able to follow along, Chet Haase is a pretty good speaker.

Super Dude posted:

No Nexus 7? :(
Wasn't the N5 released just a few months after the 7?

It'll get M, it's just not part of the preview.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
In regards to Brillo, I suppose we can't expect a home automation interface from Google? Haven't seen the keynote.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

There's a dark system UI mode in the M preview. It's under developer options.

loving finally.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Already flashed M on my 5.
At work.

At least I work IT so its semi job related.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ilkhan posted:

Already flashed M on my 5.
At work.

At least I work IT so its semi job related.

Anything critically broken? I'm debating it, but I use my phone as a train pass, and if I flash right before I leave there's I won't have a train ticket.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Anything critically broken? I'm debating it, but I use my phone as a train pass, and if I flash right before I leave there's I won't have a train ticket.
I did a full wipe, and nothing so far.
If you depend on it for that kind of thing just wait til you get home.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

In regards to Brillo, I suppose we can't expect a home automation interface from Google? Haven't seen the keynote.
It's definitely home automation related.

In terms of automation interface, they may be leaving that open for app developers to create.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

ilkhan posted:

I did a full wipe, and nothing so far.
If you depend on it for that kind of thing just wait til you get home.

Yeah, I did my Nexus 9, and tried not wiping userdata. It didn't go well at all. Wiped userdata, and it's redownloading everything, and it seems fine so far!

Probably not doing my Nexus 6 for a while, since I'm concerned that wiping it will cause issues with my 2fa app from work.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Flashed M on my Dev n5. First impression: a lot like lollipop. Seems stable enough, but again, this is a Dev device with no software besides my company's app.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

ruby idiot railed posted:

Seems reasonable. International variants all have 5.0, though.

Not all of them. My Puerto Rican Moto Maxx hasn't received an update, as far as I know. :smith:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

quote:

If a device is unplugged and left stationary with the screen off for a period of time, it goes into Doze mode where it attempts to keep the system in a sleep state.

The following restrictions apply to your apps while in Doze:

Network access is disabled, unless your app receives a high priority Google Cloud Messaging tickle.
Wake locks are ignored.
Alarms scheduled with the AlarmManager class are disabled, except for alarms that you've set with the setAlarmClock() method and AlarmManager.setAndAllowWhileIdle().
WiFi scans are not performed.
Syncs and jobs for your sync adapters and JobScheduler are not permitted to run.
When the device exits doze, it executes any jobs and syncs that are pending.

I wonder if closing the wakelock door for good much of the time will finally bring things under control a bit. If "left stationary" really is a condition for doze, then I can see myself getting drained again the minute I put it in my pants and go outside.

My problem isn't losing battery sitting at a table. My problem is I take it on the bus and send a text or two and take a photo and 4 hours after I left the house I wonder if I'm going to have enough juice to make it home.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

My problem isn't losing battery sitting at a table. My problem is I take it on the bus and send a text or two and take a photo and 4 hours after I left the house I wonder if I'm going to have enough juice to make it home.

This is exactly my thought as well.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

amenenema posted:

This is exactly my thought as well.

I think some of it is that they just can't balance disabling apps without actually interrupting things people use. Example: If you just disabled any app's ability to do anything while the screen is off, I'd get great battery life, but I couldn't listen to my podcasts.

Actually, media playing with the screen off seems to really wipe out my Nexus 4 vs iOS on a (one year older) iPhone 4S. I wonder if it's because I use Pocket Casts with the playback speed accelerator, which required the developer to make a custom media playback engine because high speed playback wasn't built into Android's audio player. But then again, Marco Arment replaced CoreAudio when he made Overcast and that doesn't zap away the 4S either. Either way, I listen to podcasts at 1.4X with the smart speed on in Pocket Casts and I get through fewer hours of podcasting than I do on older Apple hardware.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Will USB C mean faster charging normally? Will there still be "Quick Charge" that will be even quicker with USB C? Basically I love QC and even faster QC would be cool.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

myron cope posted:

Will USB C mean faster charging normally? Will there still be "Quick Charge" that will be even quicker with USB C? Basically I love QC and even faster QC would be cool.
USB-C can push enough power to charge the new Macbook so there shouldn't be any issues with using it to charge phones at whatever speed the device wants to charge at.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

In the M preview, you can customize the quick settings.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/28/android-m-feature-spotlight-system-ui-tuner-allows-you-to-customize-the-quick-settings-tiles/

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Melmac posted:

Wow that's great, thanks. I'd really prefer a screen 4.5" or smaller but I'm sure I'm in the minority and that those days are over. The 2013 Moto X is CONSTANTLY slipping out of my hand because it's slightly too big for my girly hands, and the backing appears to have been made out of butter. Before someone calls me a klutz, know that I never even once dropped my RAZR MAXX HD (due to the awesome rubbery back material and the fact that it's flat and not curved). 4" to 4.5" screens with a 3000mAh battery I assume are a pipe dream?

Try griptape. Or Sugru

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Nice, long overdue. I hope this opens the door for apps to be able to add their own toggles to the QSP.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

If one of those choices can be screen timeout then :gizz:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
To think that it'll only be two years until I get to use Android M. :allears:

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I have been looking to get a new streaming device for my TV, but I haven't been able to determine if HBO Go will work on that new Nvidia Shield when I get it via Comcast.

Porkchop Express fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 29, 2015

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mogomra posted:

To think that it'll only be two years until I get to use Android M. :allears:

Maybe you should have gotten God's intended Android phone, a Nexus.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Just when you thought SD cards went the way of the dodo, Google baked in a way to "marry" SD storage as if it were part of the phone:

http://developer.android.com/preview/behavior-changes.html#behavior-adoptable-storage

Can't wait on the crying that will happen en masse when said SD card fails and the entire phone breaks.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
The IO panel for new features in Android which is more developer-oriented than the keynote is here if anyone is interested in watching it.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

hotsauce posted:

Just when you thought SD cards went the way of the dodo, Google baked in a way to "marry" SD storage as if it were part of the phone:

http://developer.android.com/preview/behavior-changes.html#behavior-adoptable-storage

Can't wait on the crying that will happen en masse when said SD card fails and the entire phone breaks.

SD cards are cheap but not that cheap. Almost always better to pay the difference to get actual storage on the drat phone.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
Looks like the Spring thread is dead, so I'll ask here instead. My Note 4's heartbeat sensor has stopped responding. Will Sprint give me a replacement or fix it even if I bought the phone through Best Buy? I don't have a warranty, and I don't have the equipment protection, so I'm kind of lost as to what I can do.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Muttonchips posted:

Looks like the Spring thread is dead, so I'll ask here instead. My Note 4's heartbeat sensor has stopped responding. Will Sprint give me a replacement or fix it even if I bought the phone through Best Buy? I don't have a warranty, and I don't have the equipment protection, so I'm kind of lost as to what I can do.

In-store repair or replacement for a defective phone is $75.
http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Find_out_the_cost_of_repair_or_replacement_for_your_device/case-ba416758-20090629-111250#!/

Or you can contact Samsung warranty service and make a claim through them. You'll probably be out of pocket for the one-way shipping to Samsung.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

goku chewbacca posted:

Or you can contact Samsung warranty service and make a claim through them. You'll probably be out of pocket for the one-way shipping to Samsung.
When I RMAed my tablet a few months ago they paid for shipping both ways, so v:shobon:v YMMV I guess.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Eejit posted:

SD cards are cheap but not that cheap. Almost always better to pay the difference to get actual storage on the drat phone.

If you have the option to get more than 16 gb that is :v:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chikimiki posted:

Then you're buying the wrong phone.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Chikimiki posted:

My phone only came in 64gb. :smug:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I don't know when the update happened and whether it's Google or HTC, but I really don't like how my gallery on HTC One now has all the silly whatsapp pics and other random images that find themselves onto my phone?

Is there a way I can just have it display the pictures I've actually taken on the phone as default instead of every single drat image that I receive as well?

Sinjang
May 29, 2013
Google Photos still no good for ancient, large, scruffy collections with patchy exif data because it dumps all uploads which don't have Date Taken at the top of the stream and provides no tools to add dates, let alone rough estimate dates like flickr does.

Also no good for huge Mum collections with 75 gigs of meticulously organized holiday snaps to sync because the desktop uploader ignores folders and dumps them all in a monstrous blob.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sinjang posted:

Google Photos still no good for ancient, large, scruffy collections with patchy exif data because it dumps all uploads which don't have Date Taken at the top of the stream and provides no tools to add dates, let alone rough estimate dates like flickr does.

Also no good for huge Mum collections with 75 gigs of meticulously organized holiday snaps to sync because the desktop uploader ignores folders and dumps them all in a monstrous blob.

Photos now integrates with Google Drive. Can you go into drive and manually set the data? Honestly with no metadata on your pics how could they possibly organize them?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Honestly with no metadata on your pics how could they possibly organize them?

Filename and modified-on date, presumably.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Photos now integrates with Google Drive. Can you go into drive and manually set the data? Honestly with no metadata on your pics how could they possibly organize them?
It's basically the same argument people have about music where they keep it all in named folders instead of tagging it properly and then complain that modern cloud-based systems don't handle their 1980s-style organisation scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinjang
May 29, 2013
I don't see any way to edit the metadata in Drive. You can't even sort by date taken in Drive.

Tunga, I have nothing against modern ways of organising files. But this is a product promoted as being able to store and organise all of the photos you've ever taken. It's inevitable that some are going to lack proper metadata because they were taken on early digital cameras, or scanned from prints, or they were sent by friends over services that stripped the data in transit. The machine learning algorithms aren't going to be able to make sense of them, so they need to provide simple manual organising tools or figure out a way to stop the files with bad data from making the photo stream nonsensical.