Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I'm now frustrated at the lovely combat of this game. This game plays just like an MMO where rather than combat being based around abilities, capabilities and player skill, it's just monsters being huge damage sponges that 2 hit you. It's just like WoW in that regard, where you'll find a ?? monster running around eastern Velen that has no business being there.

I've never found a regular monster that took more then 3 hits to kill I have no idea how people keep complaining about damage sponge enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

theDOWmustflow posted:

Just run man.

I'd rather not have my exploration limited by lovely monsters scaled to my level with infinite health.

socialsecurity posted:

I've never found a regular monster that took more then 3 hits to kill I have no idea how people keep complaining about damage sponge enemies.

I don't know maybe you aren't exploring the wilderness, finding ?'s on the maps to be guarded treasures guarded by level ?? monsters. It's stupid and frustrating that CDPR was lazy and just added fluff, artificial difficulty by doing MMO style too-powerful-for-you monsters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The rare times I encountered high-level monsters were like "here is a wyvern guarding a keep, perhaps you shouldn't be here now" or "here is a quest monster." I can't think of anything unbeatable besides that. (And honestly even those were beatable with proper sign spammage.)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I'd rather not have my exploration limited by lovely monsters scaled to my level with infinite health.

I don't know maybe you aren't exploring the wilderness, finding ?'s on the maps to be guarded treasures guarded by level ?? monsters. It's stupid and frustrating that CDPR was lazy and just added fluff, artificial difficulty by doing MMO style too-powerful-for-you monsters.

I'm sorry you can't beat every single monster at level 1 in this RPG, stop playing.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

socialsecurity posted:

I'm sorry you can't beat every single monster at level 1 in this RPG, stop playing.

If I was level 1 I'd think this was kinda funny, but I'm not :kiddo:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The Placement of enemy levels also is... odd, you have level 14ish bandit camps right where you start in NML but on the rear end end of the map far away from the critical path are random level 3 camps?

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I'm now frustrated at the lovely combat of this game. This game plays just like an MMO where rather than combat being based around abilities, capabilities and player skill, it's just monsters being huge damage sponges that 2 hit you. It's just like WoW in that regard, where you'll find a ?? monster running around eastern Velen that has no business being there. The game was advertised in one of the promo videos as having 'no invisible walls to limit your exploration,' but rather than walls they use stupidly OP monsters that will just 1 shot you and never die no matter how good you are at the combat mechanics.

the combat is really uninteresting once you have been playing for like ten hours tops, the enemy moveset variety is loving horrible, how many griffon reskins do i need to fight before the game decides to make them do different things. those OP monsters arent even hard to fight, becuase you already know exactly what they will do they just have 200x the HP of the other monsters you've fought and you cant damage them for poo poo because level restricted loot DPS gating is king so it takes forty minutes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Thanks for the tips on getting to the tunnels everyone, I'm getting a new set of threads tonight!

Also, I remember earlier in the thread talking about not having a lot of money and barely keeping ahead of repair costs. Well after about level 10 I started seeing relic and master quality sword drops from guarded treasure and monster den stashes, and all of a sudden I'm rolling around with about 4k in my pockets.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

iCe-CuBe. posted:

the combat is really uninteresting once you have been playing for like ten hours tops, the enemy moveset variety is loving horrible, how many griffon reskins do i need to fight before the game decides to make them do different things. those OP monsters arent even hard to fight, becuase you already know exactly what they will do they just have 200x the HP of the other monsters you've fought and you cant damage them for poo poo because level restricted loot DPS gating is king so it takes forty minutes.

They also hit 200x harder than the monsters you fought.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I like exploring and finding things that are too hard for me so I run and come back. gently caress being able to go wherever I want without any repercussions, stumbling somewhere I shouldn't be yet and having to run/sneak/flee/whatever is one of the best parts of open world games. Its not an invisible wall because you can get through it if you want, it'll just take a little work that is more involved than killing everything in your path.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

socialsecurity posted:

Cuz ya know, knowing tactics doesn't help or anything.

I'm level 11 and I ran into a level 17 bog hag. I coated my sword in the appropriate oils and rolled in to her when she threw mud, got a few wacks in, rolled back out to avoid the claws and kept doing that until she died.

She gave up good treasure too (that i am too low level to use :p )

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

They also hit 200x harder than the monsters you fought.

Ya, but you have quen so who cares

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Ravenfood posted:

I like exploring and finding things that are too hard for me so I run and come back. gently caress being able to go wherever I want without any repercussions, stumbling somewhere I shouldn't be yet and having to run/sneak/flee/whatever is one of the best parts of open world games. Its not an invisible wall because you can get through it if you want, it'll just take a little work that is more involved than killing everything in your path.

If sneaking was even a thing I'd be ok with it because I'd have a shot, but it's not. The only work it takes is going away and grinding your rear end off doing linear story quests because killing monsters gives you single digit XP.

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Ya, but you have quen so who cares

Yea because Quen prevents me from being stunned and killed (it doesnt), and I really like being in a constant state of reapplying Quen when it runs out or when I get hit. It's so great not being able to use any sign other than level 1 Quen while I chisel away at a Griffin only 7 levels higher than me.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 29, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Combat is both too hard and too easy! :argh:

I'm sort of sympathetic; it seems like the difficulty curve is backwards and the system is too hard to grasp for some yet too easy to master for others. But I think it's a lot of fun despite being imperfect, and it's only one part of the game.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
once you have their attacks down (some of which are total bullshit too btw, lol) it's really easy to never ever get hit. You only need to memorize like 6-7 animation sets tops, because the game is really really lazy about reusing them and recycling low level monsters at higher levels too...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Yea because Quen prevents me from being stunned and killed (it doesnt), and I really like being in a constant state of reapplying Quen when it runs out or when I get hit. It's so great not being able to use any sign other than level 1 Quen while I chisel away at a Griffin only 7 levels higher than me.

If you are forced to reapply Quen that often you're screwing up your dodges. You should be still trying to avoid attacks, Quen is just your safety net.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

i agree w you retard, like i said, dps gating on items is huge and rly rly bad, what do you want. if you can apply DoTs to them do that. it's not very hard to fight the higher lvl monsters, it's just tedious, boring, and unfun

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Stormgale posted:

The Placement of enemy levels also is... odd, you have level 14ish bandit camps right where you start in NML but on the rear end end of the map far away from the critical path are random level 3 camps?

Yeah I don't really get this. I'm okay with having to go back to an older location and fight a higher level monster that was there, that's about the same as killing a rare elite in WoW in a zone from the beginning of the level process. The weirder thing is the low level quests that don't reward XP. I just came across this dead body and overturned cart in Skelliga. The dude had a key on him. I then had to find the chest in the water and open it with that key. It was a short quest, and the treasure wasn't even anything that amazing. But the drowners you have to take out are around your own level. But for some reason the quest itself is like level 3. :confused: So you get no XP for doing it. Why one earth is there a level 3 quest in Skelliga?

On the other hand I ran past some of those horrible scorpion things and thought "I can take these guys" since I just beat up some bandits and then got my rear end handed to me and had to run like hell before they kept poisoning and stunning me to death :v:

Sankis posted:

Reading this thread just now is the first I heard of the XP bug. I must not have noticed I wasn't getting XP or something. Now I'm scared to keep playing. Is this something that affects everyone in 1.04? Maybe I'm lucky?

It seems to be totally random? I haven't encountered this bug at all. I get quest XP whether I do side quests or main quests. I do barely any side quests though, so maybe that effects it somewhat? I did a monster contract for the first time since literally the gryphon at the beginning of the game. The water hag thing when you first arrive in Skelliga. I was awarded with this neat relic sword that had 3 slots for runes and way WAY more powerful than the sword I was using. So that was cool!!

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 29, 2015

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I don't really get this. I'm okay with having to go back to an older location and fight a higher level monster that was there, that's about the same as killing a rare elite in WoW in a zone from the beginning of the level process. The weirder thing is the low level quests that don't reward XP. I just came across this dead body and overturned cart in Skelliga. The dude had a key on him. I then had to find the chest in the water and open it with that key. It was a short quest, and the treasure wasn't even anything that amazing. But the drowners you have to take out are around your own level. But for some reason the quest itself is like level 3. :confused: So you get new XP for doing it. Why one earth is there a level 3 quest in Skelliga?

See if the higher level stuff was A) Kinda rarish and B) made sense it'd be fine for me because yeah, remember there's a big griffon that kicked my rear end come back later and finish the job (Like in Xenoblade Chronicles which springs to mind to me). The problem is again, you wander out after talking with the emperor after the prologue and bam, 10+ bandit camps with 2-3 level 14 people around, so I do the main story, get to level 10 and then start exploring just to do most of the map. I find mostly level 10ish stuff which is fine then in the SW corner of No mans Land, so far away from every village you'd only naturally stumble upon it (early quest location spoiler) if you don't use the obvious boat provided to you after the Cave adventure with the wild hunt and even if you did that you'd also have to avoid a level 13 wraith pit.

Also the level 7 bandit camp that has a (at least level 16) water hag 20 ft from it on the western coast (I say at least because it was a skull for my level 11 rear end at the time.)

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
I'm truly quite thankful I don't have crippling autism that forces me to play video games just so I can be mad about every tiny thing that triggers me.

e. Not talking about stormgale.

Archimago fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 29, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Archimago posted:

I'm truly quite thankful I don't have crippling autism that forces me to play video games just so I can be mad about every tiny thing that triggers me.

imagine making a post this lovely but also making it unironically

LOL

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
One thing that's a bit weird about the dodge is you don't seem to have iframes but attacks have really strict hitboxes so you can dodge slightly into a bear's shoulder and its swipe will completely miss you, but trying to dodge away from it keeps you inside the hitbox which is larger than the animation.

Also as far as I can tell that skill that makes you not take damage when dodging doesn't work.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Nakar posted:

One thing that's a bit weird about the dodge is you don't seem to have iframes but attacks have really strict hitboxes so you can dodge slightly into a bear's shoulder and its swipe will completely miss you, but trying to dodge away from it keeps you inside the hitbox which is larger than the animation.

Also as far as I can tell that skill that makes you not take damage when dodging doesn't work.

Same with wraiths (Dodging through them) which is what makes 3+ wraith teleport attacks so annoying, you can't dodge through them because the other 2 will still get you.

Also you may have base Iframes, or it just does the 0 damage thing if you started in an attack's hit arc but moved out of it in time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why is this Ignus Fattus thing so loving hard? Am I missing out on something to make this less cheap? This fight is a pain in the rear end.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Eonwe posted:

imagine making a post this lovely but also making it unironically

LOL

I am unironically thankful I'm not Goku or Ice-Cube. You should be too.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

NESguerilla posted:

Why is this Ignus Fattus thing so loving hard? Am I missing out on something to make this less cheap? This fight is a pain in the rear end.
I found this to be fairly hard as well, because for a skinny little thing he hits like a loving freight train. Took me about 11 tries, and the last try was the first time I used the thing in the spoiler, which made the fight a ton easier and got me the kill.

Axii stuns him for a decent amount of time even if you have no points in it. Axii, hit hit hit, roll out, wait for recharge, rinse, repeat

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Just did a green quest and got no XP for it so I guess I'm doing something else with my time until CDPR figures out what's going on with that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Memento posted:

I found this to be fairly hard as well, because for a skinny little thing he hits like a loving freight train. Took me about 11 tries, and the last try was the first time I used the thing in the spoiler, which made the fight a ton easier and got me the kill.

Axii stuns him for a decent amount of time even if you have no points in it. Axii, hit hit hit, roll out, wait for recharge, rinse, repeat

Nice I'll try that. Thanks.

Archimago posted:

Just did a green quest and got no XP for it so I guess I'm doing something else with my time until CDPR figures out what's going on with that.

Speaking of irony I'm finding it pretty hilarious that right after massively overreacting to other people complaining about something the game, you come and complain about the game less than 5 minutes later.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
LoL tried fighting the Griffin again using the crossbow and Quen, and things were looking like they were going OK until I got hit once, then took an Enhanced Swallow, and it didn't heal my health until the last 4 seconds. Wasted a potion and it didn't heal me. I didn't have any bleed or poison effects on me, and I wasn't too toxic. poo poo just didn't work.

Maybe Geralt could slay the monster bugs plaguing this game :smaug:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Swallow healing pauses if you take damage, except Superior Swallow. It's designed that way. It must've assumed you were in that state.

This is one instance where that 25% healing on potion consumption skill is huge.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

NESguerilla posted:

Nice I'll try that. Thanks.

Speaking of irony I'm finding it pretty hilarious that right after massively overreacting to other people complaining about something the game, you come and complain about the game less than 5 minutes later.

I'm not complaining. I'm going to go watch a movie--taking a break from the game won't kill me. I accept bugs as a fact of life when I buy a game on release. I was just letting people know it's not just grey quests.

:lol: if you think my post was a "massive overreaction" to the spergshitposting that those two have been imposing on this thread.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Archimago posted:

I hope it involves something besides making GBS threads up this thread.

Nakar posted:

Swallow healing pauses if you take damage, except Superior Swallow. It's designed that way. It must've assumed you were in that state.

This is one instance where that 25% healing on potion consumption skill is huge.

I was using the enhanced version of Swallow :confused:

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 29, 2015

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I was using the enhanced version of Swallow :confused:
Potions come in three varieties: basic, enhanced, and superior. Enhanced are just that, they usually do the base job slightly better and give you an extra use to boot. Superior ones come with extra perks on top of that. Swallow's is ignoring the healing pause.

e: I need a drat golem's heart to get Blizzard. I've killed two so far and gotten nothing, is there a place I can safely snag some?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Archimago posted:

I'm not complaining. I'm going to go watch a movie--taking a break from the game won't kill me. I accept bugs as a fact of life when I buy a game on release. I was just letting people know it's not just grey quests.

:lol: if you think my post was a "massive overreaction" to the spergshitposting that those two have been imposing on this thread.

So them posting about something they didn't like in a game="crippling autism" and you doing it is the :cool: chillzone. Got it.

Your tip wrecked that thing Memento. Don't know why that dude was so much harder than every other enemy I've encountered but at least he's easy to cheese :v:

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Burning damage should probably not be percentage based. I was able to kill a level 22 fiend at level 9 without taking damage by just chain casting alternate cast igni. Did the same thing with some super high level hag guarding treasure.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Bogarts posted:

Burning damage should probably not be percentage based. I was able to kill a level 22 fiend at level 9 without taking damage by just chain casting alternate cast igni. Did the same thing with some super high level hag guarding treasure.

Come kill this griffin then with your super bad rear end single digit self :(

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Read the bestiary, he's unblockable and too fast for normal dodge to get away from.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Come kill this griffin then with your super bad rear end single digit self :(

Killing high level poo poo can be pretty easy if you cheese them by getting a couple whacks in and running off to heal/meditate. Killed a 15 hag at level 4 by doing that but it's admittedly not much fun. I'm sure it depends on the enemy though and if they one shot you it would be a no go.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

As far as griffins or griffin reskins go, lighting them on fire with Igni or a few bombs works great. Actually I'm pretty sure thats how I killed Ignus as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Symetrique posted:

As far as griffins or griffin reskins go, lighting them on fire with Igni or a few bombs works great. Actually I'm pretty sure thats how I killed Ignus as well.

Anything that is capable of burning is trivialised by Igni if you have high sign intensity (if you have the alt. Igni skill they are even more trivialized).