Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah I haven't played d&d since 2nd edition, but i feel like you gotta call things like that before damage is rolled right?

Using parry after damage is rolled seems to be a valid reading of the rules as written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

BrainParasite posted:

Using parry after damage is rolled seems to be a valid reading of the rules as written.

Is it a once per encounter thing?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Drunkboxer posted:

Is it a once per encounter thing?

Not quite. Magnus is a Battle Master fighter, which means he has a pool of 4 d8s which he can spend too do maneuvers. He knows 3 maneuvers, with I'm sure he listed when they leveled up. The pool refreshes whenever they take a short rest, which is at least an hour of downtime, so not something that you're assumed to do after every encounter.

He wouldn't have had to cheat and claim he rolled the max on his superiority die if he had just used his second wind on his turn. He's clearly played 4th edition before, that's a class feature he should remember.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
What, Travis has anoooother show? I had to skip bunker buddies or w/e because his cohost was a bit too "generic quirky white person they get out of factories in Los Angeles to populate the near entirety of maxfun programming and terrible mid-mbmbam ads"...but I do still enjoy Sawbones at least so maybe I'll give this a shot and hope the nonMcElroy isn't just another young white pod person.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TheFallenEvincar posted:

What, Travis has anoooother show? I had to skip bunker buddies or w/e because his cohost was a bit too "generic quirky white person they get out of factories in Los Angeles to populate the near entirety of maxfun programming and terrible mid-mbmbam ads"...but I do still enjoy Sawbones at least so maybe I'll give this a shot and hope the nonMcElroy isn't just another young white pod person.

Travis isn't on Sawbones

And the cohost of Travis's new show is internet personality Brental Floss so if you like that sort of 2007-level Newgrounds video game parody song heat, this might be your jam.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

The first episode of Trends Like These was pretty good! I haven't listened to the new one yet, but Brent is miles better than Andie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Travis343 posted:

Travis isn't on Sawbones

And the cohost of Travis's new show is internet personality Brental Floss so if you like that sort of 2007-level Newgrounds video game parody song heat, this might be your jam.
Oh I know, I was kind of grouping the McElroy media empire together.

And oh yeah, Brental Floss, they talk about him on MBMBAM sometimes don't they. Sounds col.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Travis343 posted:

Travis isn't on Sawbones

Yeah I was worried about what Brent might bring to the table because of that, but so far he seems pretty chill.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
I too enjoyed Trends Like These, and find it much better than Bunker Buddies. Travis is my favourite of the McElroy Three, but I am not a fan of Andie Bolt.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr Tastee posted:

Yeah I was worried about what Brent might bring to the table because of that, but so far he seems pretty chill.

It probably helps that Travis and Brent have been friends for a long time so they probably have really good chemistry, which I imagine is not the case with Bunker Buddies. I've not listened to much BB and haven't tried TLT at all yet, though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

VDay posted:

Also in all fairness Travis had 1HP, so he knew as soon as the monster hit that he was dead unless he dodged it.

Also also that episode was great and Travis continues to be the MVP. Physics be damned, that wrecking ball move was some hot poo poo. Also everything about Jenkins in that fight was perfect.

Smell ya laaaatter

everything about jenkins was just the worst which only made it more hilarious when he disappeared from the narrative

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I hope Jenkins becomes the Team Rocket of the podcast, always popping in when it's least convenient.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

Are these a parody of something? I love the series too, but I feel like I'm missing 90% of the point. Or maybe they are just pure original genius.

There is a wide world of videos where people buy things from a grocery store/Walmart and just talk about the fact that they bought it, why they bought it, when they might buy it again, and so on. On one end of the spectrum you have moms talking about the family's weekly grocery purchase, on the other there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTKGtnJgxHg

In case you were wondering, he's been uploading 2-4 of these every week for years.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
*Taps on Big Mac box forebodingly*

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MBMBaM: The Best Part About Knuckles Is He's Into Threesomes Probably

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
props to trends like these, it's a decent show, no annoying overwhelming white L.A. person quirkiness and the best thing I can say to its credit is that the inherent conceit that results in them always talking about trivial bullshit as their topics (random trends and memes) doesn't detract from the show because they're cool bros (dorks) with chemistry

edit: although them lashing out at Simon Pegg for justifiably calling out the infantilization of cinema is telling and lamely predictable. oh no, fans of lame poo poo for babies are up in arms!!!!! This is why I never hung out with cinema/theater kids in high school, they're never really into good movies or interested in engaging you on like Masaki Kobayashi (or hell even Werner Herzog) just like, entry level Quentin Tarentino and genre film, Star Wars, Alfred Hitchcock. When you look at the American cinematic renaissance of the 1970s, it's just depressing where we are now.
Meanwhile Hollywood's courting of the nerd has decreased the number of original and innovative genre/action film ideas, just a bunch of sequels and interlocking fictional universes. Action/adventure/Hobbit movies are just exhausting exercises in 3 hour masturbation now, and no nostalgia bias does not excuse everything because under those terms I guess nothing has ever qualitatively gotten better or worse ever. I mean seriously look at American cinema then and now, it really is sad. We're not getting Networks, we rarely even get Die Hards.
Sorry dudes but you really are into dumb stuff for babies, embrace it, Simon Pegg is cool and right and I wouldn't consider much of the good stuff he's done "Genre film" or equivalent to Marvel movies n poo poo.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 28, 2015

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

props to trends like these, it's a decent show, no annoying overwhelming white L.A. person quirkiness and the best thing I can say to its credit is that the inherent conceit that results in them always talking about trivial bullshit as their topics (random trends and memes) doesn't detract from the show because they're cool bros (dorks) with chemistry

edit: although them lashing out at Simon Pegg for justifiably calling out the infantilization of cinema is telling and lamely predictable. oh no, fans of lame poo poo for babies are up in arms!!!!! This is why I never hung out with cinema/theater kids in high school, they're never really into good movies or interested in engaging you on like Masaki Kobayashi (or hell even Werner Herzog) just like, entry level Quentin Tarentino and genre film, Star Wars, Alfred Hitchcock. When you look at the American cinematic renaissance of the 1970s, it's just depressing where we are now.
Meanwhile Hollywood's courting of the nerd has decreased the number of original and innovative genre/action film ideas, just a bunch of sequels and interlocking fictional universes. Action/adventure/Hobbit movies are just exhausting exercises in 3 hour masturbation now, and no nostalgia bias does not excuse everything because under those terms I guess nothing has ever qualitatively gotten better or worse ever. I mean seriously look at American cinema then and now, it really is sad. We're not getting Networks, we rarely even get Die Hards.
Sorry dudes but you really are into dumb stuff for babies, embrace it, Simon Pegg is cool and right and I wouldn't consider much of the good stuff he's done "Genre film" or equivalent to Marvel movies n poo poo.
I agree that they probably got that one wrong but it says something for the show that I still want to listen to it as much as ever despite an early "misstep". They have their opinions and they even reference that sometimes they just "try them on" and aren't that hard-line on most things. They have a good rapport and despite not being bang-on with everything they express their takes reasonably well.

Whereas I couldn't make it through 10 minutes of a random episode of Pop Rocket.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Kenny Logins posted:

I agree that they probably got that one wrong but it says something for the show that I still want to listen to it as much as ever despite an early "misstep". They have their opinions and they even reference that sometimes they just "try them on" and aren't that hard-line on most things. They have a good rapport and despite not being bang-on with everything they express their takes reasonably well.

Whereas I couldn't make it through 10 minutes of a random episode of Pop Rocket.
You're totally right here though, I mean they're generally on point with their positions and even that one wasn't soooo bad (I mean, it's at least something you'd expect of them as goony goons), at the very least they're on the right side with all the "BLACK BATMAN? HOW DARE YOU!!!" sort of stuff and I giggled at the dumb dick jokes in the latest episode.
I'd call this new McElroy Empire brand "Uhh Yeah Dork" and that's a compliment, solid show, now I don't have to force myself on Bunker Buddies or Sawbones (I mean, Sawbones is okay though to be fair, I at least still give it chances unlike Bunker Buddies, it's just not really top in my podcast priorities).

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 28, 2015

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I like Sawbones but honestly I'd love if they went back to Satellite Dish forever :unsmith:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Things I Bought At Sheetz is really good

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Sawbones is the loving best.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

detectivemonkey posted:

Sawbones is the loving best.

Pee ants.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

The Duke posted:

I like Sawbones but honestly I'd love if they went back to Satellite Dish forever :unsmith:

I really want to listen to the bonus episode of Losing the Sheen they did, but it's intended to be listened to while watching the last episode of Two and a Half Men, and I really don't want to do that.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Whatever happened to the all wives episode?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
MAIL ME ALL POT

"If you had a lot of weed...what would you do??!??!!"- NERDS

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 29, 2015

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Whatever happened to the all wives episode?

I think that and the Freaky Friday episode are going to be at some date TBD

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
you can tell these dudes like their tim and eric and uhh yeah dude

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBC6xPvkBF8

Saw something about a trend of posting about shoplifting on Tumblr which reminded me of this wonderful bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TamwFUUd9Yk

oh and episode 3 of Monster Factory!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Now that's a boy that I can get into!

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Is there a good way to filter Polygon's videos to find just the Justin+Griffin ones?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Dunkie. I'm dead.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Dunkie. I'm dead.

I love how they took the most obvious stupid joke question possible and made it the best.

Thewlis
Feb 24, 2006

Custard Coloured Superdream
Sooooo, how about that first question, huh?
(She's going to throw it out.)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Thewlis posted:

Sooooo, how about that first question, huh?
(She's going to throw it out.)

She threw it at that guy's window, that guy is her ex, you just got goof-ceptioned.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

She threw it at that guy's window, that guy is her ex, you just got goof-ceptioned.

I was waiting that whole goof for them to make the callback and I was disappointed.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Is there a good way to filter Polygon's videos to find just the Justin+Griffin ones?
It's not easy in the slightest. At least Monster Factory seems to be a dedicated feature for the concept.

For my money, the Rust overview video they did was just majestic and the funniest I've seen yet. It does take a while to get going (especially with such a slow-paced game) but from the halfway point on had some great times.

Griffin griefing by being very straightforward and polite would work as a continuing feature for me.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
:frogsiren: THINGS I BOUGHT AT SHEETZ SEASON TWO BEGINS NOW :frogsiren:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I hadn't noticed more had come out since the Gatorade one. Great twist on the green apple licorice ep.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
And now one of the greatest goofs has been put in amber for future generations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AMCQqXCGTs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mods please namechange me to Big Time Lawyer In The City

Dunkey is great and all but that's still my favorite part of that question