Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

You say mumyouken would have gone off before charge tactic? Are you sure about that? In my experience, buff limits always go off first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
I forget the reason why, but it's either because of Action Speed or where they're positioned. I forget the actual reason and I just set up my party to have both. If it's position, then whoever's the farthest right will do their skill first, and I believe it's bottom before top.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Arcade Rabbit posted:

No, silly! FOE stands for Fysis Oikein Eidolon, and means Naturally Durable Phantom.

...wait, no. Maybe it meant Field-On enemy because it was an enemy you could see on the field?

Honestly, I always preferred the unofficial version of FOE-Fucking Overpowered Enemies. Nothing else needs to be said, really.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Dr. Fetus posted:

Here lies Guild Tidehunt. Murdered by a giant green bird.

I hope you enjoyed this Let's Play! Thank you for reading!

:allears: I was waiting for that oversized bird.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Oof, and right after a well-fought F.O.E. where everyone came out alive somehow!

I'm fascinated to hear about the limit talk, because in my current playthrough I have ALWAYS had Charge Limit go off before Mumyouken, but my row formations never change and the only two characters to use Mumyu have been the left-most person in the front and then the back row (once my Buccaneer got a wonderful, wonderful gun and started outpacing my Gladiator for all of five minutes)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

RareAcumen posted:

Oh god, it's just like a note in a horror story! 'Whatever you do, don't- Oh god they're in! Aaaghhgrhasghhhaaaa!'

Anyway, yeah, birds. Super dangerous for the game all about the boat on the sea instead of land.

Whoops. Corrected that.

I've had Mumyouken go off before Charge Tactic when I had my party cast those limits, so I don't know what's going on. I do know that the Limits don't have any action speed at all, and are the only skills in the game that will outright go first or last. Not too sure on how they work speedwise yet. Maybe they use the average action speed between the users? I dunno.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
When I had my party lined up as

M/H/P
Z/*/A

Mumyouken went before Charge Tactic. Then I read this thread and saw the hypothesis that the back-right influenced it so I went to

M/H/P
A/*/Z

and Charge Tactic went first and powered up the Mumyouken.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Who did you equip the limits to?

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

[i]I'll take a moment to talk about how Co-op Sea Quests work before going on with the rest of the update.

Has anyone outside of Japan ever been able to get a full party? It's rare enough to find one other person who knows about this series, much less four. :v:

Dr. Fetus posted:

DS Version

[i]Here lies Guild Tidehunt. Murdered by a giant green bird.
I always liked the EO4 version of the game over music. The game sounds so happy that it killed you. :atlus:

Dr. Fetus posted:

Hello there. I am Akatsuki. I am here to tell you that this girl will make for a very tasty meal, while the rest of us taste terrible.

Wait, what!?
This was also great.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Greedy Lizards. Hoo boy... Let me tell you about fighting Greedy Lizards with Team Democracy.

So, for starters, the only ability Farmer Jane gets that will conceivably do anything is Rotten Eggs. And even then the offense debuff is miniscule without a status ailment already on it. Which is a problem because Kumog's Call Insect has an equally miniscule chance of landing. Again, this is effectively a 3 person party until I get some more levels on these guys. There are two things you want to get from the first Sea Quest before you try this. First is the Mumyouken limit, the second is Albert's Mace which gives Hecate a chance to do some damage. It's true that forging usually isn't a worthwhile pursuit, for all the reasons Dr. Fetus mentioned, but I can't afford to ignore it because forges are the only consistent elemental damage I'll have for a long, long time. Albert's Mace gives you two ice forges for free, making it a top priority. Poison Charms are nice too, but you'll have to kill a lot of platypi to get one so I didn't bother. (This was a mistake.)

The first time I fought one, it blindsided my party despite the fact we were staring each other down not five seconds before. This is a risk you take when fighting FOEs, with their elevated stats, when you're at low levels--it takes AGI and level into account, among others things I believe. It immediately bit Humphrey, which he survived, and Poisoned him, which he did not. I made yet another mistake in wasting a Nectar to revive him despite not having access to them at the store yet. I queued up a heal on Hecate to top him up once he was revived. Humphrey stood up annnnnd was immediately creamed again, causing the heal to go to waste. This is when I started trying to retreat. Jane finally succeeded after watching the rest of the party (and one butterfly) get eaten.

My first successful attempt (after two more failures) actually started off the same way, with me getting blindsided from the front again but this time Humphrey didn't get poisoned, which makes all the difference in the world. First turn, he provokes, Hecate heals, Jane uses Rotten Eggs (and charge tactic), Kumog summons his butterfly to the empty space in the front row. It's vanishingly unlikely to posion the lizard, and does about 5 or 6 damage per attack, but any turns it gets attacked instead of the party means free damage for me! With Charge Tactic in place, I open next turn with Lilah using Mumyouken. From that point onward, it's kind of dull. Humphrey spams Line Guard and refreshes Provoke; Hecate, Lilah & Kumog spam attack; Jane feeds a medica to any human that gets injured until I run out and Hecate has to take over.

This strategy is no guarantee of success. Wrong person get attacked and/or poisoned? You're likely hosed. But in the end it does succumb, after exhausting everyon's TP and all healing items. Whereupon I walk calmly back upstairs and exit, because I remembered to rest until evening instead of picking a fight at noon like some scrublord n00b. :smug:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Who did you equip the limits to?

Judging from that party setup, I would say that his Arbalist has Mumyouken and his Zodiac had Charge Tactic.

Rangpur posted:

Which is a problem because Kumog's Call Insect has an equally miniscule chance of landing.

Kumog summons his butterfly to the empty space in the front row. It's vanishingly unlikely to posion the lizard

Greedy Lizards aren't resistant to poison, they're flat out immune. If anyone has a 0% resistance to anything that isn't a damage type, which are ailments, binds, or stuff like instant death, then they're considered to be immune to it. While there are some abilities that ignore resistances, like Wild Mastery, or the Dark Hunter's Climax ability from the first two games, they can't go through immunities at all. Though if the target has a 1% resistance to whatever, they're not considered immune and stuff like Wild Mastery will kick in.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Whoops. Corrected that.

I've had Mumyouken go off before Charge Tactic when I had my party cast those limits, so I don't know what's going on. I do know that the Limits don't have any action speed at all, and are the only skills in the game that will outright go first or last. Not too sure on how they work speedwise yet. Maybe they use the average action speed between the users? I dunno.

I would guess in operates on a stack. The old magic the gathering's first in last out rules. I have a H/M N/Z/A setup. Whenever I have Z use charge tactic and M use cross slash, charge tactic goes first. When A uses cross slash, cross slash goes first. The limit H uses always goes last.

Edit...

I just confirmed it by switching M and A. Limits are just executed in the reverse order to which they where received.

Double Rabite fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 29, 2015

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I basically had to fight tooth and nail to win against this first guy but I managed to make it after spamming tons of Kagerous and burning up my items.

It's like I'm really playing FFXI!

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Following along the LP I managed to land a head bind on this guy right before he used Greedy Fang twice in a row. That gave me just enough time to recover from his earlier hits and put him out of his misery.

I agree with the OP that binds aren't as strong in this game as they are in others, particularly EO4, but goddamn do they change some fights when they go off.

Is there a formula for how long binds last in this game before being shaken off, or is it mostly a dice roll?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Random battles are the new FOEs, apparently. Great Lynx and Largebills are the only random enemies I know about, though, so the rest will be new territory. I hope the third floor has some ridiculously overpowered enemy as well.

Also, I love how the Gladiator gets poisoned and just gets :black101: about it.

I don't know anything about this game, but this guy is totally going to be a boss like that duo from EO2.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 29, 2015

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

EO always has a rival adventurer (or two) who fights you as a climactic miniboss. EO2 fakes you out once, though...

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Is there a formula for how long binds last in this game before being shaken off, or is it mostly a dice roll?

If there is one, I have no idea what it is. The recovery formula in EO2 was Base Chance * ((10+LUC)/(3*LVL)) = Recover Chance, where the base chance depends on which ailment someone got hit with, but I highly doubt they're using the same formula since so much got changed under the hood from EO2 to EO3. I do know that Monks take an irritatingly long time to recover from ailments or binds if you try to let those wear out on their own. Or forgot to pack ailment and bind dispelling items.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 29, 2015

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if Monks just take longer to encourage sinking points into Waking Chakra.

Either that or just the skill existing breaks it because that seems to be a thing EO does sometimes

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, I have no idea what the exact values are, but apparently the exact structure of (Base Chance * Modifier) + Turn Chance is the same. Also, Waking Chakra really isn't worth it. At max level, it takes 2 to 3 turns to dispel any ailments or binds. And later on when being hit with ailments or binds can make or break a fight, you want to dispel those immediately, not wait a few turns for them to wear off.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

There's some fights way down the line that have some status effects that take like 7-8 turns to wear off and I didn't bring Theriaca Bs.

I didn't live very long once my Monk got shut down. :negative:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I remember when I charged directly into an angry baboon in the Old Forest Mine in EO4 and got my poo poo wrecked. Ah, memories. :allears:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
That said, from listening to it one time I can judge that EO3's FOE theme is hands-down series best for when you go into a battle against an insanely tough FOE and win, which is always radical as hell.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I don't think I was stupid enough to fight a FOE right away my first playthrough of EO4. I'm glad that the game added the ability to see how your level compared to theirs so you'd know when to attempt a fight. Defeating them always felt good too. I think I killed one of each naturally throughout the game besides those poison lizard things in the first cave of the second Land. And the gourds on the sixth stratum. I want to finish it completely but at the same time I feel like going back into it I just would have difficulty remembering how to play the game well. I only beat one of the dragons. (Same with Untold.)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I beat every single monster in EO4. :smug:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Even the Warped Savior. :shepface:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hall of Darkness B3F was real fun. :shepicide:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, I'm going to have to put up a little warning. Apparently the site I got all my EO2 and 3 mp3s from got infected with malware, and I didn't download all of the music beforehand, so the rest of the LP is going to have to remain musicless. Sorry, anyone who was looking forward to hearing EO3's rocking tunes. Oh and another thing, if you're reading the EO2 LP, :siren:DO NOT CLICK ON ANY OF THE MUSIC LINKS IN THERE!:siren:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

alcharagia posted:

Even the Warped Savior. :shepface:

Do it without chemicals or it doesn't count.

Edit: Tindeck has malware?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Ah, I see. That MP3 site must've inspected the statues and gotten ambushed by Malwoids.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Do it without chemicals or it doesn't count.

Edit: Tindeck has malware?

No, I linked directly to said site back in the EO2 LP instead of downloading them and uploading them to Tindeck because I was dumb and lazy. Said site eventually got infected with malware. Like yesterday. The music links in this LP are safe to click on. The ones in the EO2 LP are not. I'm going to have to replace all the links, except I don't have any of the EO2 MP3s. Ugh.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Music situation has been somewhat resolved. EO3 LP will continue with music, but I still have to replace all the music links in the EO2 LP. In all 70+ updates. :suicide:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Dr. Fetus posted:

Music situation has been somewhat resolved. EO3 LP will continue with music, but I still have to replace all the music links in the EO2 LP. In all 70+ updates. :suicide:

Up side: You didn't submit the EO2 LP to LP Archive, so you don't have to worry about accidentally infecting people long after your thread gets archived

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm so glad you're doing EO3 now. Having someone around to guide me through the game is just what I need because by the third Stratum I'm really paranoid over if I'm doing as much damage as I should be by then or not.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Asteria posted:

So many discoveries left undiscovered. So many puns left unsaid..

I like her, shes the best. :allears:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

I'm so glad you're doing EO3 now. Having someone around to guide me through the game is just what I need because by the third Stratum I'm really paranoid over if I'm doing as much damage as I should be by then or not.
Are the enemies dying before you do? Then you are doing enough damage.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Rangpur posted:

This really is the only metric that matters. The game's also not that hard - I insisted on playing whilst rotating all ten classes through my active party, and as a consequence was (apparently?) like five or six levels behind the leveling curve by the time I got to Stratum 4, and I was still doing enough damage to win.

Albeit barely.

A fight with a certain miniboss may have ended with my Hoplite having to stab it to death with her spear because she was the only one left alive.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rangpur posted:

Actually its like it always is: are you spending inordinate resources just to clear an encounter?

You can be nigh-on invincible to enemies but if you cherry-tap them to death expect some bosses and FOEs to straight murder you becauee you took too long.
And if every battle is more or less phyrric then you are the one getting cherry tapped to death.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Actually its like it always is: are you spending inordinate resources just to clear an encounter?

In this particular game this could vary greatly depending on your class choices and overall party setup.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

why not just link to youtube versions of the songs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Alxprit posted:

I don't think I was stupid enough to fight a FOE right away my first playthrough of EO4.

The only game I've immediately fought an FOE in is Untold on Normal mode, which made me wonder what the big deal about FOEs was when I killed almost all of them effortlessly.

Then I met the Bane Lizard. :v:

alcharagia posted:

That said, from listening to it one time I can judge that EO3's FOE theme is hands-down series best for when you go into a battle against an insanely tough FOE and win, which is always radical as hell.

I presume this is the reason it's the DOE battle theme in Etrian Mystery Dungeon while the other three are just BGM (or Monster House ambush music in the case of EO4's).

• Locked thread