Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

I ment to edit in that it looks terrible and please just give us a loving a1 with a sports pack or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Preoptopus posted:

So Audi decided that the US does not need a small sporty city runner like the A1. What we need aparantly is this

On the bright side they WILL be Quatro, will come in three flavors of engines: gas diesel and electric.

And one more convertible version with a Ducati motor.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/audi-city-car-performance-specs-news-rumors/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialm&utm_campaign=cars

What the gently caress? Is this a dream? Am I dreaming? Is this a nightmare?

What the gently caress is this?

Edit: that's the Audi Urban Concept from 2011, which is attached to an unrelated article for some reason.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Jesus, that's unforgivably hideous.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

That is a superbly ugly thing, but it looks like that's an old concept photo attached to a recent article and that (if there is any justice) it won't be produced.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I thought the point of concept cars was to be dead sexy and awesome, and you were supposed to be sad instead of relieved when it turns out they weren't going to production in a similar form.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The point of concept cars is for a company's best and/or most nepotistic designers to get a chance to jerk off and do whatever the gently caress they want. Sometimes, it gives their engineering team a chance to stretch their legs and try to figure out how to make crazy poo poo work. More often than not, though, the cars are too design-focused to even work properly from an engineering standpoint.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If I had copious piles of filthy lucre I'd buy one, dress it up in Spongebob livery (or something similar) and roll around town in it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Preoptopus posted:

So Audi decided that the US does not need a small sporty city runner like the A1. What we need aparantly is this

On the bright side they WILL be Quatro, will come in three flavors of engines: gas diesel and electric.

And one more convertible version with a Ducati motor.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/audi-city-car-performance-specs-news-rumors/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialm&utm_campaign=cars

So it's a PT Crüser?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

So it's a PT Crüser?

Das Herumtreiber

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

The point of concept cars is for a company's best and/or most nepotistic designers to get a chance to jerk off and do whatever the gently caress they want. Sometimes, it gives their engineering team a chance to stretch their legs and try to figure out how to make crazy poo poo work. More often than not, though, the cars are too design-focused to even work properly from an engineering standpoint.

In addition, they give anonymous internet randos the ability to say "well, I'm not buying the <PRODUCTION CAR> because it's not as cool as <CONCEPT CAR THAT CANNOT ACTUALLY BE MANUFACTURED>."

How many concept cars have actually been produced in a near-identical fashion in the last decade? Is there a point other than a momentary PR blip and long-term consumer/internet flamboaster disappointment?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cocoa Crispies posted:

In addition, they give anonymous internet randos the ability to say "well, I'm not buying the <PRODUCTION CAR> because it's not as cool as <CONCEPT CAR THAT CANNOT ACTUALLY BE MANUFACTURED>."

How many concept cars have actually been produced in a near-identical fashion in the last decade? Is there a point other than a momentary PR blip and long-term consumer/internet flamboaster disappointment?

Also the related one of some executive saying they're definitely interested in getting this wacky concept that would need a brand new platform into production and then like a year or two later the significantly quieter statement saying "actully no we just said that to mess with our competitors, we got nothing" e.g. Nissan

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The BMW i8 comes to mind, not much else though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Das Herumtreiber

Totally forgot about that monstrosity:

Which brings to mind other monstrosities worthy of the horrible AI things thread, from Chevy:

The HHRse:

and the Are You SSRious?

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 29, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Chevy Camaro I suppose. The concept in the Transformers movie looked pretty cool but obviously they'd have to completely alter the dimensions for production or you'd end up making a car with terrible visibility. hurrrr

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Basically every Honda concept because Honda's concepts are just the production cars with bigger wheels and fancier lights. :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So if anyone ever wondered why BMW wants to make a bajilion different ugly SUVs and other stupid poo poo, well, here's why:

Adding a new model to the lineup doesn't necessarily cannibalize anything if there's some differentiation left, and gets a shitload of sales from people who really want a more expensive Q5/Touareg/etc and would otherwise settle for one.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

mobby_6kl posted:

So if anyone ever wondered why BMW wants to make a bajilion different ugly SUVs and other stupid poo poo, well, here's why:

Adding a new model to the lineup doesn't necessarily cannibalize anything if there's some differentiation left, and gets a shitload of sales from people who really want a more expensive Q5/Touareg/etc and would otherwise settle for one.

Yeah, it's where all the money is, along with making 500 versions of the 3 series in BMW's case.

Except the 3 series wagon, which is outsold by the :saddowns: X1 by a 5:1 margin.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

At least BMW has the 2 series!

I wonder how long it'll take them to ruin it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

At least BMW has the 2 series!

I wonder how long it'll take them to ruin it.

They're way ahead of you on that one...

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

This is bizarre since it can't possibly be based on the same chassis as the 228/235, being FWD and all, can it?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Guinness posted:

This is bizarre since it can't possibly be based on the same chassis as the 228/235, being FWD and all, can it?

They've decided to go full surrealism with their naming, since they're also planning a 4 door version of the current RWD 2 series, AND a full-on M2 to go with the M235i. So the 2 series will cover the whole range from "pretty great RWD sports sedan" to "3 cylinder FWD shitbox."

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Sure, but the 2GC and M2 would presumably be based on the same chassis as the RWD coupes. But this active tourer shitbox thing is probably based on the forthcoming FWD 1-series chassis I imagine.

I guess BMW threw naming conventions to the wind years ago so they're just going to do whatever. And status-seeking soccer moms are going to buy the poo poo out of it.

Maybe I'll just have to keep my E46 forever. :shobon:

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 29, 2015

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Porsche sells more Macans than two-doors. They're an SUV company that sells sports cars to keep up an image.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nobody needs what i don't need.

Nobody who wants an elevated seating position or suspension capable of absorbing potholes deserves a vehicle built by my precious racecar company. Vehicles i don't need being built by the company that built my shitbox 20 years ago make my shitbox worse for reasons.

Also, pick-up trucks need to be carrying a load at all times to deserve their place on my roads, so you better find yourself a backhaul from the landfill you wasteful pleb. :argh:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Neptr posted:

Porsche sells more Macans than two-doors. They're an SUV company that sells sports cars to keep up an image.

More like subsidizing awesome street and even more awesome race cars by selling SUVs to idiots. Enzo would approve of their current practices much more than what Ferrari has turned into.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

More like subsidizing awesome street and even more awesome race cars by selling SUVs to idiots. Enzo would approve of their current practices much more than what Ferrari has turned into.

Yeah, the sports cars they make are still awesome, so Porsche fleecing pretentious SUV buyers to stay in business is all good.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
What does everyone think of the new smart car? Am I absolutely retarded in thinking it seems pretty neat? I sat in one at the NY auto show and the interior was pretty drat good, and it has an actual, real deal 5 speed manual. From what I hear it's just a shorty Renault twingo, and has a turbo 3cyl.

Can't see many downsides for one of these in the city,
especially with a $100-150/month lease...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It really can't be any worse than the old one.

If the 0.9 liter is anywhere near as capable as ford's 1.0, it could be a fun little car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, the sports cars they make are still awesome, so Porsche fleecing pretentious SUV buyers to stay in business is all good.

They aren't only fleecing the SUV buyers. Pretty sure all of their cars have huge profit margins for them. I seriously doubt the cigarette lighter with a Porsche logo on it costs them $499.99.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fknlo posted:

They aren't only fleecing the SUV buyers. Pretty sure all of their cars have huge profit margins for them. I seriously doubt the cigarette lighter with a Porsche logo on it costs them $499.99.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1090892_porsche-makes-more-money-per-car-than-audi-bentley-or-lamborghini

It's a big part of the reason I have no plans of purchasing a Porsche.

Lamborghini's are expensive because a seamstress came in to work every day for a month and did nothing except make sure the stitches on your seats and dashboard all match perfectly. McLaren's are expensive because they have to pay for the 5000 hours of wind tunnel testing required to design it. Porsche's are expensive because they say "Porsche" on them.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Voltage posted:

What does everyone think of the new smart car? Am I absolutely retarded in thinking it seems pretty neat? I sat in one at the NY auto show and the interior was pretty drat good, and it has an actual, real deal 5 speed manual. From what I hear it's just a shorty Renault twingo, and has a turbo 3cyl.

$99/mo lease with 0 down? Awesome. A great commuter car option if that's a decent amount of miles (12k/yr).

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KillHour posted:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1090892_porsche-makes-more-money-per-car-than-audi-bentley-or-lamborghini

It's a big part of the reason I have no plans of purchasing a Porsche.

Lamborghini's are expensive because a seamstress came in to work every day for a month and did nothing except make sure the stitches on your seats and dashboard all match perfectly. McLaren's are expensive because they have to pay for the 5000 hours of wind tunnel testing required to design it. Porsche's are expensive because they say "Porsche" on them.

Most of that is probably due to volume + their bestselling car being a rebadged Volkswagen. Lamborginis are expensive because of tiny volumes with wacky designs (and also just because - I'm sure the margins on lamborghini are quite healthy) and also of course they don't have a factory racing team.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Voltage posted:

Holy poo poo, is that a manual in a smart car?! gently caress me, that's about 17 years late. I heard the main gripe with that car is the utterly poo poo autotragic in it. I wonder what the fuel economy will be when they sell them stateside.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
VW only sells a few hundred Touaregs per month in the US, the Cayenne far outsells it. In other markets anecdotally I also see far more Cayennes than Touaregs on the road. It's really more fair to say that the Touareg is a rebadged Cayenne than vice versa, sold to people who don't need the prestige badge but still want all the shoddy build quality and terrible engineering with even more cost optimized parts.

If the Touareg was axed tomorrow no one would even notice.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Hyundai will probably build a Rampage.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/05/hyundai-chances-good-it-will-make-pickup.html

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

that's not a rampage, that's a ridgeline. Which is funny, because the next ridgeline is supposed to look like a tacoma, while the tacoma completely aped the front grille of a hyundai.

Just one big circle jerk of "i like this, i'm taking it."

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
We own a ridgeline and it's p. good. Holds about a half a yard of dirt without any problems. and also our kayaks 'cuz we're sporty white people.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
If it's more El Camnino/Ranchero sure that could be pretty sweet. If it's lifted and covered in body cladding like you know they are going to welp

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
You'd figure they'd be better off trying the minivan market again first. What exactly was wrong with the Entourage that caused it to sell so poorly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

TKIY posted:

You'd figure they'd be better off trying the minivan market again first. What exactly was wrong with the Entourage that caused it to sell so poorly?

Id guess it's because the whole minivan market was shrinking really bad

I was always sort of sad the Kia Borrego never took off due to bad t8ming.