Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

unpacked robinhood posted:

they treat people eyes with lasers all the time dont tell me where to put my eyes man

Don't waste your money paying for LASIK, come to Noisebridge, we've got a laser and I watched a YouTube video on optometry once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
weren't there some quotes in this thread from someone who made multiple attempts to get the laser working? and on each attempt the laser was found to have more broken and missing components that the last? at this point it's probably just a box with some loose mirrors and a scratched lens rattling around inside.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

if god didn't want us to put eyes into laser beams, our eyes would see in infrared and lasers wouldn't be made out of light, checkmate libs

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
they'd just call them irasers

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

I don't give a poo poo about the space and here I am, reading noise ridge discuss.

Nose Ridge Discussting

Keldoclock posted:

Yeah. We were discussing ^H in a LAN thread and someone quoted horrible things from noisebridge. I had known it was a shithole since I first heard about it years ago, but I saw this thread existed and was active, so I figured I'd read the last 2 pages.

loving around with lasers isn't that bad. I mean like, you pretty much have to try to blind yourself. You'd have to not wear your safety goggles, and then loving put your eye in the beam(or a reflection thereof, which is the real danger) but even then the kinds of lasers you can get when you don't have much money are going to be either high-precision low power (not very harmful) or cutting lasers (CO2 etc) in which case you would have to be the king of the bonglords to end up in a situation where you make contact with the beam.

You see Noisebridge exists to allow every-day idiots access to the kind of dangers only ten thousand dollars and up can buy, which is why they have things like a laser cutter and a plasma torch and stuff that they naturally have to fix themselves because come on guys my mom says I'm smart I can figure this out right :downs:

I bet they're the kind of people who think that if they wear glasses they don't need safety goggles too, so yeah.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Nose Ridge Discussting

disgustion-list

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nose Ridge Discussting

please don't post your deep space nine fanfiction here

The Ghost Writer
Jun 27, 2012
:ghost:
Shameful Outlet
i had actually had no idea mitch altman was an alpha noisebridger until i read this thread. i mean now that i do know it seems perfectly clearly obvious, like you might as well have told me water is wet.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

quote:

Subject: [Noisebridge-discuss] Please do not move fox lounge couches
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 19:17:02 -0700
To: noisebridge-discuss@lists.noisebridge.net

Hi, Noisebridge.

The cabal of people who deal with the landlord got emailed by the landlord
today with a message that the elevator people need better access to the
ladder. I'm moving the couches in the fox lounge to remedy the situation for
now, and planning on designing a better implementation of couches that the
landlord and elevator people might approve of.

'till then, please don't put the couches back in the familiar L shape
configuration. I'm putting down some of that super cool rubber caution tape to
make it a bit more obvious.

hugs n snuggles <3

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Keldoclock posted:

Yeah. We were discussing ^H in a LAN thread and someone quoted horrible things from noisebridge. I had known it was a shithole since I first heard about it years ago, but I saw this thread existed and was active, so I figured I'd read the last 2 pages.

loving around with lasers isn't that bad. I mean like, you pretty much have to try to blind yourself. You'd have to not wear your safety goggles, and then loving put your eye in the beam(or a reflection thereof, which is the real danger) but even then the kinds of lasers you can get when you don't have much money are going to be either high-precision low power (not very harmful) or cutting lasers (CO2 etc) in which case you would have to be the king of the bonglords to end up in a situation where you make contact with the beam.

Do you really think Noisebridgers are going to wear laser goggles and be careful of high-albedo surfaces? No, they're going to blind themselves, and not know it until it happens because they used the cheap IR DPSS laser they pulled out of something else

E: or take apart the laser cutter in order to get its laser tube, breaking it again

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OSI bean dip posted:

planning on designing a better implementation of couches

disrupt comfort with standing couches

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

seriously tho who the gently caress says they're "designing a couch implementation"

hugs n' snuggles yospos <3

The Ghost Writer
Jun 27, 2012
Shameful Outlet
the same kind of person who unironically calls the landlord's contacts a 'cabal'

also uses yellow caution tape on the floor instead of a sign that says 'please do not move these for now, thanks'

The Ghost Writer
Jun 27, 2012
Shameful Outlet
i have realized that a lot of this reads like a nerd version of "cop talk"

you know how cops always say they responded to the scene of the disturbance, got some eyewitness reports, ascertained the suspects wherabouts, proceeded to that location, the suspect resisted arrest and attempted to flee but was apprehended and so on

they never say

"When we got to the bar the guy was gone, but the bouncer knew his name and several people saw what he looked like. We used the computer to look up his address and went to see if he was home. When we knocked on the door he tried to run out the back door but [Janice] was already there in case he tried something like that and we arrested him."

Nerds do cop-talk too with "the couches have been reconfigured into a more optimal arrangement" and so on.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
jargon is a powerful tool for those who would like to appear specialized or particularly adept

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

its to convey that they are putting their mighty wealth of intelligence and expertise into the problem dont you worry about it everything is ok because im using the big boy words now

The Ghost Writer
Jun 27, 2012
Shameful Outlet
Huh, I learned something and the world makes a little more sense to me now.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

its to convey that they are putting their mighty wealth of intelligence and expertise into the problem dont you worry about it everything is ok because im using the big boy words now

hence why it's generally called "mba-speak"

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
so is this 'fox lounge' is where the insufferable nerds poo poo on each other instead of the tools for once or what

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bobbilljim posted:

so is this 'fox lounge' is where the insufferable nerds poo poo on each other instead of the tools for once or what

maybe they got that dog dick coffee table from the bitcoin thread and made a lounge around it

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
Unrelated.. I dropped by NYC resistor tonight, they gave me some free stuff and let me build a thing (an actively cooled smoking pipe :snoop:)

They are v cool people. Their power structure is "every paying member is a board member" and it doesn't go to poo poo because new members must be unanimously approved.

Unlike noise bridge they have actual useful tools and don't even lock their member storage cabinets.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

hence why it's generally called "mba-speak"

it's used in business a lot to indicate that you "put some thought into your decision" rather than just decided on a whim to do something.

for example:

"yeah, me and the guy are going to the sales conference in tahiti"

vs.

"after examining the benefits versus costs associated with the south pacific regional sales conference, it has been determined that the sales team will all be attending to better leverage our connections in the region.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
also it removes the first person and simply states facts of Things That Happened.

for example "a bullet sprang out of my gun"

vs

"i shot the suspect in his doorway when he opened it"

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
in high school science we were taught not to use first person or even refer to the experimenters at all where possible

makes you sound less like hunter s thompson i guess

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

froward posted:

Unrelated.. I dropped by NYC resistor tonight, they gave me some free stuff and let me build a thing (an actively cooled smoking pipe :snoop:)

They are v cool people. Their power structure is "every paying member is a board member" and it doesn't go to poo poo because new members must be unanimously approved.

Unlike noise bridge they have actual useful tools and don't even lock their member storage cabinets.

wait - they store their members in cabinets?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Jerry Cotton posted:

wait - they store their members in cabinets?

A truly gender neutral safe space

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Beast of Bourbon posted:

also it removes the first person and simply states facts of Things That Happened.

for example "a bullet sprang out of my gun"

vs

"i shot the suspect in his doorway when he opened it"

I Read Some Article that pointed out that cops abstracting and objectifying everything like that subconsciously reinforces the "us-vs-them" mentality and helps dehumanize everyone they interact with.

"I shot a man" vs. "shots fired, male suspect hit" etc.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

I Read Some Article that pointed out that cops abstracting and objectifying everything like that subconsciously reinforces the "us-vs-them" mentality and helps dehumanize everyone they interact with.

"I shot a man" vs. "shots fired, male suspect hit" etc.
there are also a lot of articles, especially recently, that do this in an effort to give cops an extreme benefit of the doubt

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4hsU6uYaoQ

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

anthonypants posted:

there are also a lot of articles, especially recently, that do this in an effort to give cops an extreme benefit of the doubt
passive voice ftw

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
the organism stopped operating and adopted a less threatening stance

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
the lead transfer proved effective

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

froward posted:

if you met a guy named matt there, he's a buddy of mine and brews beer

he owns

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

froward posted:

How is the rest of your NYC trip going? Do they still have the vodkabot there?

Portland's ADX is also full of cool people. Learned how to use a vertical milling machine to make a "machine part", and nobody asked any questions.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

jony ive aces posted:

in high school science we were taught not to use first person or even refer to the experimenters at all where possible

makes you sound less like hunter s thompson i guess

this has been relaxed, esp in cases where third person passive hurts clarity

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Torrie Fischer tdfischer at hackerbots.net
Sun May 24 03:19:14 UTC 2015

Welp, its happened. Someone unplugged Pegasus' speaker again. Also the cabinet
was left unlocked.

This makes me sad. Someone went through the effort of circumventing the access
control mechanism on the chibi rack. To me, this says that whoever did it
doesn't really respect Noisebridge. Yeah, the lock is a simple wafer lock that
is easily picked. You can probably even jimmie the door open.

But still, there is an obvious indication that you're not supposed to be
poking around in there without asking around and getting consensual approval
from The Noisebridge. My mind immediately assumes that someone has been
sleeping in the space late at night and wants some peace and quiet.

"Torrie, if someone is sleeping, we should find where they're sleeping and put
a camera on it to catch them!" -- Some random noisebridger (paraphrased)

Thats a technical solution to a social problem. Throwing more computers at the
problem won't work. My dayjob is computering and I'm aiming for less of that.
Plus, if we did catch someone sleeping at the space then we'd need to figure
out how they got in and who let them in and all that less-than-fun emotional
hard stuff. I mean, we're all making sure that the space is completely and
totally empty of non-members when you leave for the night, right? Its
impossible for a non-member we haven't already granted our complete trust

PROTIP: If someone wants to mute pegasus for a long while, they can totally
ask about getting a shell account and write a shell script that keeps pegasus
muted. Or ask for the key. Cripes, just be excellent about it and make sure
you don't add entropy to the system; plug the drat thing back in when you're
done.

"Torrie, you should write a sad email and call out the shitheads who are
sleeping in the space!" --Another noisebridger (paraphrased)

I can guarantee that they're not reading noisebridge-discuss, because why
would someone who doesn't give a poo poo about the space want to keep up with
things, hmm? noisebridge-discuss is a good shibboleth in this respect; If they
read discuss they probably do give a poo poo about the space.

What can we do about this? :(

codl
Jul 28, 2013

ayn rand hand job posted:

Welp, its happened. Someone shat all over Pegasus' speaker again.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Cripes, just be excellent about it and make sure you don't add entropy to the system

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
the gently caress is Pegasus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

What can we do about this? :(

guys, there's an technical issue but I don't want to solve it using technology or talking to people

• Locked thread