Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

zoux posted:

You're trolling, but SB 575 is a ban on abortion coverage on insurance purchased through the ACA. 20 week ban passed last session.

Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
lmao the democrat tries to challenge private property

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah I hate the free market.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah I hate the free market.

Actually people shouldn't be compelled to pay taxes for things they disagree with :)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Okay, I disagree with cigarette taxes because I smoke. I disagree with taxes going toward highway funding because I ride a bicycle. I disagree with subsidizing investing and want to tie capital gains to income. I disagree with a homestead exemption and property tax exemption because I don't own a home. Do you see how stupid you sound?

You should be compelled to do what society has decided you should do because that's the price of not being ripped apart by wolves at night.

edit i mean, what even are you, a big-government anarchist?

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 27, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

gently caress the ROW posted:

Actually people shouldn't be compelled to pay taxes for things they disagree with :)

Except wars, right.

Or do you want all taxes to be voluntary. "Please enter the percentage of the US budget to which you don't have moral objections and reduce your taxes due to this percentage. No lying."

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Taxes are rent for civilization. Pay the rent, you mooches.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
So the big day is over, let's get a tally of what made it and what didn't...

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/05...:%20Main%20Feed

quote:

As the clock struck midnight, the failure of an anti-abortion initiative — dear to the hearts of the far right — marked the end of a tumultuous day on the floor of the Texas House that saw the passage of sweeping ethics reform and a version of legislation allowing concealed carrying of handguns on college campuses.

On the last day that it could approve major legislation that began in the Senate, the lower chamber embarked on an all-day procedural waltz, with Democrats attempting to kill bills by delaying them past midnight, and Republicans looking for openings to move their legislation.

Early in the day, Democrats narrowly shot down an attempt to essentially change the order of the calendar, moving big-ticket items up for faster consideration. They then used every parliamentary trick in the book to slow the pace, delaying consideration of mostly uncontroversial bills.

But after huddling in a secret meeting in a room adjacent to the House floor, Democrats let the action get moving again.

For hours, the House debated an ethics reform bill, dissolving into angry tirades and raunchy debate about the reach of a drug-testing provision for lawmakers.

The passionate debate pitted Republicans against each other — over lifting the veil on "dark money" and restricting people from recording or videotaping politicians without their permission.

With the clock ticking, a few Republicans at one point even sought to postpone debate over ethics legislation — deemed a priority by Republican Gov. Greg Abbott — so the House could take up campus carry and an abortion bill that would have prohibited coverage of the procedure on certain health insurance plans.

Republican state Rep. Matt Schaefer of Tyler asked state Rep. Byron Cook, R-Corsicana, the House sponsor of the ethics legislation, to temporarily pull down the measure so that it did not chew up the time left on the clock.

After Cook declined, Democrats took to the mic to reiterate that ethics reform was declared an emergency item by the governor and was supposed to be prioritized over the rest of the calendar.

The House eventually passed the ethics bill, including the dark money provision, then went back to an innocuous agency-review bill, also known as a Sunset bill, to reform the Department of Family and Protective Services.

House Democrats were on alert for a proposed amendment by state Rep. Scott Sanford, R-McKinney, that would have shielded religious organizations from being sued if they prohibited gay and lesbian couples from adopting children or becoming foster parents.

Though the Sanford amendment was eventually withdrawn and the bill passed in the House, a similar amendment was briefly revived in the Texas Senate, which also worked late into the night.

State Sen. Donna Campbell, R-New Braunfels, sought to add the amendment to a House bill sponsored by Sen. Craig Estes, R-Wichita Falls, that would direct the state’s Department of Family and Protective Services to study “kinship care” programs.

But Campbell quickly pulled the proposal down after state Sen. Kirk Watson, D-Austin, sought to kill the provision on a technicality. The Senate unanimously passed the bill, HB 2655, once the amendments were withdrawn.

In the House, it was 9:30 p.m. by the time state Rep. Allen Fletcher, R-Houston, introduced Senate Bill 11, which would require public universities and colleges to allow concealed handgun license holders to carry their guns on campus. That left only two and a half hours for lawmakers to consider the more than 100 amendments that had been filed to the legislation.

Higher Education Chairman John Zerwas, R-Richmond, successfully attached an amendment that was a significant departure from the Senate’s version of the bill giving universities the freedom to ban handguns in certain areas of campuses — like laboratories or hospitals — as long as they were not prohibited outright.

With Democrats continuing to eat up time with a series of procedural challenges, a point of order from state Rep. Trey Martinez Fischer, D-San Antonio, ultimately ended debate on the bill.

After spending 30 minutes discussing the matter, Martinez Fischer withdrew his challenge, and the chamber moved to rapidly adopt two final amendments relating to private institutions and hospitals, and took a quick vote on the bill.

After the bill’s passage, Martinez Fischer painted the vote as a Democratic win.

“You can take half the day and give that to Republicans for setting a calendar at a very late date on a bill that I might add that we’re not going to get to tonight,” Martinez Fischer told reporters. “And so we spent the other 12 hours fighting for what we believe in, ending on campus carry.”

The biggest victim of the midnight deadline was Senate Bill 575 by Republican Sen. Larry Taylor, which would have banned abortion coverage on plans sold on the federal Affordable Care Act’s marketplace.

Originally, SB 575 would have banned abortion coverage on both ACA plans and private health insurance plans. But the House State Affairs Committee amended the bill to mirror a measure filed in the House by state Rep. Marsha Farney, R-Georgetown, and approved by the committee this month before dying on a House bill deadline.

Republicans had said they intended to amend it on the floor to bring back the private insurance ban.

The bill — passed in the Senate earlier this month — died in the House after a turbulent ride in the lower chamber.

It was cleared by the State Affairs Committee on Saturday in a last-minute vote on the last day the committee could clear Senate proposals.

It initially failed to get out of the Calendars Committee, which sets the schedule for when bills are considered on the House floor. But it was reconsidered and added to the calendar during a late-night committee meeting called after a dramatic night, including a confrontation over the bill between two Republicans.

Taylor, the bill’s author, said he was disappointed about the bill’s demise in the House, citing the hours of work that had gone into moving it forward.

“Anytime you have a bill die due to the timer, you’re disappointed,” Taylor said. But he added that the proposal was bound to crop up during the next legislative session.

Basically: Ethics "reform" passed, campus carry passed (with campuses having the right to still ban guns in labs and hospitals), banning insurance companies from covering abortions failed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Campus carry has to go to conference, so those watered-down provisions may or may not stay on.

Also I've never seen them move the question on a bill in the House before, pretty crazy.

Oh and the hulking, shuffling human piece of poo poo that is Johnathan Stickland is leading an effort to murder local and consent bills because he's so loving mad about SB 575 going down.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 27, 2015

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Someone also put an amendment on campus carry to make private universities follow whatever public universities do, which is I assume some attempt to get private universities to help kill it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh what a surprise, the language saying police can't stop people just for open carrying got stripped out of the open-carry bill. Good luck exercising your new rights, blacks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That was actually a Real Bad amendment that would've effectively instituted constitutional carry.

Bob Garrett at the DMN has an outstanding article about the drama surrounding the tax cut negotiations this session. It's a great look at how personality and ego plays a huge part in the legislative process.

Also, check out Statesman feature on how the rains have affected lake levels. Wow.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 29, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Lege passed restrictions on the judicial bypass for abortion for minors.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

So now you can't use abuse as a reason to seek a judicial bypass. Isn't the entire point of the judicial bypass so that underage girls who would get beaten if their parents found out they wanted an abortion could still get one?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

That was actually a Real Bad amendment that would've effectively instituted constitutional carry.

Bob Garrett at the DMN has an outstanding article about the drama surrounding the tax cut negotiations this session. It's a great look at how personality and ego plays a huge part in the legislative process.

Also, check out Statesman feature on how the rains have affected lake levels. Wow.

Open carry was pretty much a given this session but it is delightful that those demanding constitutional carry (because they are barred from a CHL) were sure complete assholes that the Lege made sure to include the CHL requirement.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Shifty Pony posted:

Open carry was pretty much a given this session but it is delightful that those demanding constitutional carry (because they are barred from a CHL) were sure complete assholes that the Lege made sure to include the CHL requirement.

The butthurt from some corners is amazing.

This OC law is fine in that if you accidentally print or otherwise expose part of your gun you aren't in trouble anymore (outside of the usual restrictions for concealed carry). I guess OC could be useful when camping/fishing out on those state/federal lands that allow it as well.

I wish people would start focusing their energy onto real gun rights issues like getting suppressors off the NFA. Its idiotic that a safety device requires a permit to buy and is illegal in some states.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

The best part is that Strauss appointed Pancho Navarez, whose office that showdown video was shot in, to the conference committee on HB910, basically as a huge gently caress you to Kory Watkins.

Again I don't think the OC issue is a huge one, you might see some redneck with a pistol on his belt once in a blue moon, but more it was a proxy debate about "are guns good".

Anyway the Houston Chronicle has a good article about how tea party and minority interests aligned on the no-stop amendment (which got stripped)

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 30, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

So Texas has OC now, but what is that CHL thing? Was there a limit to OC placed when they voted for it?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nonsense posted:

So Texas has OC now, but what is that CHL thing? Was there a limit to OC placed when they voted for it?

As I understand it, it works like this: Before, you could get concealed carry but you had to get a license (CHL) for it. Now, you have a "carry" license that applies to concealed and open carry.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Yeah basically the CHL now becomes just a general handgun license where you can carry open in a holster or concealed. Same requirements for CHL, background check, training class, etc., apply. Kory Watkins and co wanted constitutional carry where the 2nd Amendment is the whole of the law with respect to handguns. That amendment that got stripped in conference, the one that wouldn't let cops ask to see your license, was basically backdoor con carry. The campus carry bill, which would allow concealed carry on public campuses, is in conference and has some poison pill amendments added by the House on it. The Senate has a 48 hour layout rule on conference committee reports so if they all signed off on it right now it wouldn't be eligible until after the Sunday midnight deadline, so it looks dead. Senate could suspend that rule (they did on open carry yesterday) but I can't remember if that's 21 or 19 ayes. Also Strauss put the heaviest of the heavy hitters on the conference committee including the chair of Education and Trey Martinez Fisher which signals that he wants the House version of the bill, which is unacceptable to the Senate author on ideological grounds. Long story short, it's got a long row to hoe.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Any sort of carrying of firearms (other than long arms, probably an exception originally intended for hunters) outside of private property was illegal in Texas (Don't want none of those armed minorities and commies running around you see). Then back in the 90's licensed concealed carry was allowed. You go get fingerprinted, registered and take a class to get a permit (A CHL) that allows you to carry a pistol concealed (other than places were it is forbidden, see the law for details etc...).

This law adds the ability to open carry to holders of a CHL. So get a CHL and you can carry a pistol any way you want to basically. If you don't have a CHL then you can't carry period, though I think there is a exception for being in a car or something, I'm not a lawyer.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Thank you all for your answers. I'm very surprised the state lege didn't go for constitutional carry, I saw a Texas Week featuring TXTribune people saying that the old dynamic of conservative democrats, moderate republicans was essentially over, and that it was a tussle between the right and the farther right now.

They didn't mention the Dem actions much, which I guess makes sense considering their position in the state now. I wanted to hear them talk about "chubbing", but they didn't bring it up.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 30, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Thank you all for your answers. I'm very surprised the state lege didn't go for constitutional carry, I saw a Texas Week featuring TXTribune people saying that the old dynamic of conservative democrats, moderate republicans was essentially over, and that it was a tussle between the right and the farther right now.

The House "liberty caucus" mustered 19 votes for their speaker candidate in January, which was not only a mandate for the centrist style of Strauss but indicating that the media handwringing over the New Tea Party Era in Texas was a bit overexaggerated.

Honestly this was a terrible session for the tea party and MQS and co. are calling for heads to roll. They got basically nothing they wanted. Also when it turned out Tim Dunn was connected to the American Phoenix people, offices stopped taking his calls.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Numlock posted:

Any sort of carrying of firearms (other than long arms, probably an exception originally intended for hunters) outside of private property was illegal in Texas (Don't want none of those armed minorities and commies running around you see).

That's not really an accurate assessment of why carrying handguns was outlawed. It goes back to the 1800s, and had a lot more to do with the old west/frontier areas where the mark of being in a civilized place (like a town) was that people weren't carrying their guns around.

zoux posted:

The House "liberty caucus" mustered 19 votes for their speaker candidate in January, which was not only a mandate for the centrist style of Strauss but indicating that the media handwringing over the New Tea Party Era in Texas was a bit overexaggerated.

Honestly this was a terrible session for the tea party and MQS and co. are calling for heads to roll. They got basically nothing they wanted. Also when it turned out Tim Dunn was connected to the American Phoenix people, offices stopped taking his calls.

Yea, the Tea Party and far-right elements in the state just completely hosed themselves this session. The way that the constitutional-carry people took a slam-dunk and basically made it poison should be turned into a case study by some ambitious poli-sci grad student at UT. The American Phoenix Foundation and their insane semi-blackmail attempt (They told a bunch of legislators "We secretly videotaped you and you won't believe what we caught! We'll be releasing the video after the session if things don't go our way!") was so effective at turning friendly legislators against them that if it was fiction it wouldn't be believable.

If this were any other state or political climate, I would be strongly opposed to Joe Strauss and his politics. Since this is Texas, he's basically the best hope we have in state politics.

e_angst fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 30, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

e_angst posted:

That's not really an accurate assessment of why carrying handguns was outlawed. It goes back to the 1800s, and had a lot more to do with the old west/frontier areas where the mark of being in a civilized place (like a town) was that people weren't carrying their guns around.

Yea, the Tea Party and far-right elements in the state just completely hosed themselves this session. The way that the constitutional-carry people took a slam-dunk and basically made it poison should be turned into a case study by some ambitious poli-sci grad student at UT. The American Phoenix Foundation and their insane semi-blackmail attempt (They told a bunch of legislators "We secretly videotaped you and you won't believe what we caught! We'll be releasing the video after the session if things don't go our way!") was so effective at turning friendly legislators against them that if it was fiction it wouldn't be believable.

If this were any other state or political climate, I would be strongly opposed to Joe Strauss and his politics. Since this is Texas, he's basically the best hope we have in state politics.

Actually it was outlawed to keep bands of former slaves from arming and looking for payback.

The upshot of that APF thing was they turned all their poo poo over to Breitbart Texas, which just said last week it wasn't going to release any of the footage, meaning there was nothing there, meaning they torched a ton of political capital and good will to no benefit. Also the big tea party House and Senate darlings repeatedly embarassed themselves; Stickland was a joke and Molly White wanted all muslims to pledge allegiance to the Israeli flag. It wasn't a good session for Democrats at all but it was a great session for everyone that hates the Tea Party.

Also if you want to read some mega tea party :qq: here's an email from the big Harris Co. Tea Party Man Steve "Don't call me Goatse" Hotze.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

My friend who follows the lege a hell of a lot closer than I do because of her job was saying that a lot of the trouble was the Tea Party freshmen were obsessed with getting speaking time in so they could preen themselves in front of the chambers, committees, or press. Meanwhile the experienced legislators were going around talking/meeting with each other and getting poo poo they cared about done.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It's worth pointing out, and repeating, that the reason that Open Carry Tarrant County leader Kory Watkins is so thirsty for "constitutional carry" is that he he has a criminal record that makes him ineligible for a CHL. Requiring a license for open carry is a specific middle finger pointed squarely at him and his stupid hat.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I wonder if they learned their lesson about not smelling like weed and acting threatening when lobbying? Probably not.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's worth pointing out, and repeating, that the reason that Open Carry Tarrant County leader Kory Watkins is so thirsty for "constitutional carry" is that he he has a criminal record that makes him ineligible for a CHL. Requiring a license for open carry is a specific middle finger pointed squarely at him and his stupid hat.

I thought he would be wearing a ten-gallon, so I looked up his pic and nope it's a loving trilby.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He posted this on Thursday.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Nonsense posted:

I thought he would be wearing a ten-gallon, so I looked up his pic and nope it's a loving trilby.

If you'd told me that this was a guy doing a parody cosplay, I would believe it.

Good thing he'll be prepared to indiscriminately spray into crowds and populated buildings once civilization falls and the zombie wars start!! Who else will stand and defend are freedoms?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I kind of want to carry around some shears to cut the straps on their guns if I see them in public.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

zoux posted:

Toph Bei Fong posted:

If you'd told me that this was a guy doing a parody cosplay, I would believe it.

Good thing he'll be prepared to indiscriminately spray into crowds and populated buildings once civilization falls and the zombie wars start!! Who else will stand and defend are freedoms?

Ahahaha, what a fuckin' moron. I wonder what his account name on freep is? :laffo:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Toph Bei Fong posted:

lmao

whats his criminal record for, indecent exposure?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

What's Roger Federer doing in Texas?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Wow, what is it with Tea Party types and threatening lawmakers (who agree with them on 90% of issues) when they don't get their way?

Goddamn these guys would be scary if they weren't so incredibly politically incompetent.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

e_angst posted:

Lol no.

zoux posted:

Actually it was outlawed to keep bands of former slaves from arming and looking for payback.

That and poors not wanting to be exploited.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

lmao

whats his criminal record for, indecent exposure?

Guilty plea for a Class A misdemeanor. When he was 18 he was caught with burglary tools (a container of broken bits of spark plugs used to quickly break car windows and a bunch of screw drivers) and speakers and cds which had been recently taken from a truck which had its window busted in (by the burglary tools).

Texas CHL criteria are really rather strict.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

zoux posted:

isn't it illegal to call for the death of elected officials?

cause it sounds like he is trying to incite some people into actually going and killing some of these politicians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

zoux posted:

Was the implementation deeply flawed, or do you just oppose the idea of limiting the police's ability to harass minorities?