Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think the worst thing a story can be is morally repulsive, but fortunately Doctor Who stories almost never are, so, yeah, their biggest sin tends to be when they're dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bicyclops posted:

I think the worst thing a story can be is morally repulsive, but fortunately Doctor Who stories almost never are, so, yeah, their biggest sin tends to be when they're dull.

I can't think of any that are morally repulsive off the top of my head; at least not any where the issues go beyond specific choices / events (yellowface in Weng Chiang, mental health stuff in Forest).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I can't think of any that are morally repulsive off the top of my head; at least not any where the issues go beyond specific choices / events (yellowface in Weng Chiang, mental health stuff in Forest).

Yeah, I actually can't think of any either, but, hey, there's a lot of Doctor Who out there, so maybe I'm forgetting one. I think Nekromanteia comes the closest because it really leers at the characters pretty grossly, but even that one I would describe more as weird, unpleasant and lacking self-awareness more than morally repulsive.

In fact, I think Forest's biggest sin is that it's boring. The medication thing is an unfortunate mistake on the part of the writer, but in terms of the actual story, I never really felt like anyone was in danger for most of it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

hey i have a Legit Question for you guys, it's important research for a DW thing I'm writing and my normal guy i ask these questions to is offline and will be for at least an hour or so

1) what episode was it where the doctor was introduced choking out a Companion

2) what version of that doctor was it

3) how, in general, was that doctor viewed on the whole of his run, he was adored right, despite being introduced choking out a companion

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Toxteth O'Grady, USA.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

hey i have a Legit Question for you guys, it's important research for a DW thing I'm writing and my normal guy i ask these questions to is offline and will be for at least an hour or so

3) how, in general, was that doctor viewed on the whole of his run, he was adored right, despite being introduced choking out a companion

It was the Twin Dilemma episode 1 or so. One of the worst of the entire franchise new, old, comic, audio, whatever.

6th Doctor

Do you mean by the characters? As an insufferable braggart with an annoying coat mostly. By the audience? Hated for being an insufferable braggart with an annoying coat mostly, and also the Peri thing. His outfit may or may not have been a big reason why Classic Who was cancelled too.

Understand, almost all of the love for the 6th Doctor is because of the Audio stories he's been in relatively recently. If Big Finish didn't exist, he'd easily be one of the worst Doctors ever.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Toxxupation posted:

That was the sixth doctor. He was the Doctor from 1984-1986, and it was rocky.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Colin_Baker

quote:

Baker's era was interrupted by an eighteen-month hiatus, officially because the show was moved back from the spring to the autumn schedule. He was ultimately dismissed from the part at the insistence of BBC management, who wanted to refresh the show. The Controller of BBC One at the time, Michael Grade, criticised Doctor Who, saying that the programme had become overly violent and its storylines farcical. Baker was offered the first four episodes of the next season in order to pave the way for a regeneration, which he turned down as he did not wish to miss out on other work in the meantime. He did offer to do the whole season and have the Doctor regenerate at the end, but this was refused. As of 2013, he is the only actor to play the Doctor who has been fired by the BBC.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

yeah i meant by the audience, i just assumed everyone liked Six because i kept on eharing a bunch about him, but ok

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Six had his moments during his television run where you could see the mishandled potential that Colin Baker had, but for the most part it was a pretty dark period for the show.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Creed of the Kromon features a subplot involving Charley that is utterly repulsive, and the entire time I was listening to it I felt like I'd stumbled on somebody's horribly specific fetish fan-fiction :barf:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 27, 2015

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

yeah i meant by the audience, i just assumed everyone liked Six because i kept on eharing a bunch about him, but ok

In the public mind he's probably the least-liked Doctor, though this thread has a slightly warmer opinion of him.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Toxxupation posted:

The ratings for his run were decent, but the scripts were atrocious, the show runner pretty much had checked out, and the moral guardians were all over him. And then there was the producer's choice in fashion...

Colin Baker wasn't a BAD Doctor, but a weak one. Credit to the actor though that he never got too bitter about his time on the show. It took Big Finish and a crew that gave a drat to show just how good/great his Doctor could have been.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The irony being that the actor was the first real fan to get the part. Not in the Ian Levine sense of "I AM THE BEST AT LIKING DOCTOR WHO" (thanks to whoever in the thread gave us that one), but in that the series had been a consistent and beloved part of his life since November 23, 1963.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
And he got into it as an adult (Baker was born in 1943 in the middle of an air raid) so he may very well have had at least some idea of how he would play the Doctor for close to 20 years before he actually got the part.

Which really makes it all the more depressing that he ended up saddled with Pip & Jane, Eric Saward, JNT at the height of his disinterest, and Michael Grade having it in for him personally.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Bicyclops posted:

So that Burke & Hare audio then?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

greententacle posted:

I'm not du-oh oh wait.

Never mind

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

greententacle posted:

I was listening to another Six audio the other day (I forget which) and he got all fired up at somebody and snapped,"The ends never justify the means!" and all I could think of was how terrible and out of character it was for him to be lauding Burke & Hare and saying that their murders were an enormous boon to medical science and therefore justified and even noble :doh:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

There's never been a bad ACTOR to play the Doctor, but there's been a poo poo-ton of bad writers to write him. And they all worked during Six's run. And also Bob Holmes wrote some episodes as well.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I was listening to another Six audio the other day (I forget which) and he got all fired up at somebody and snapped,"The ends never justify the means!" and all I could think of was how terrible and out of character it was for him to be lauding Burke & Hare and saying that their murders were an enormous boon to medical science and therefore justified and even noble :doh:

But drat it, Medicinal Purposes gave us David Tennant and "Jamie famous!"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gaz-L posted:

And also Bob Holmes wrote some episodes as well.

And you saw where that got him.

Dead.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

But drat it, Medicinal Purposes gave us David Tennant and "Jamie famous!"

It probably didn't help that so many Big Finish stories used that AWFUL trailer for Medicinal Purposes on the,"Coming soon from Big Finish" bits. I got so tired of hearing all of it, especially Jamie's lines which are just annoying devoid of context.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Wheat Loaf posted:

And he got into it as an adult (Baker was born in 1943 in the middle of an air raid) so he may very well have had at least some idea of how he would play the Doctor for close to 20 years before he actually got the part.

Which really makes it all the more depressing that he ended up saddled with Pip & Jane, Eric Saward, JNT at the height of his disinterest, and Michael Grade having it in for him personally.

You can't blame Michael really, he was sleeping with Mrs Baker after all.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

It probably didn't help that so many Big Finish stories used that AWFUL trailer for Medicinal Purposes on the,"Coming soon from Big Finish" bits. I got so tired of hearing all of it, especially Jamie's lines which are just annoying devoid of context.

This is why I always avoid trailers if I can.

Except for Mad Men's. Those were works of art.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
According to an account in one of the Big Finish special features, Colin Baker was coming home from an exhausting day at law school and walking up the stairs of his apartment when An Unearthly Child came on the television his flatmate was watching. C-Bakes turned around on the spot and stood on the stairs for 25 minutes and from then on it was more or less appointment television.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

CobiWann posted:

This is why I always avoid trailers if I can.

Except for Mad Men's. Those were works of art.

NEXT WEEK ON MAD MEN

Betty answers the telephone

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

I am late to answer your question, but six was disliked so much, he only lasted two seasons, and there was a hiatus in between. His final season, The Trial of a Timelord, was also a sort of trial for the show to see whether it would renew. There was other stuff going on, of course, and as people have said, Colin Baker's fantastic performance on the audios has proven that it was more about the writing and production than him, which is why he's become a kind of darling to people who listen to his stories, but his introduction is justifiably one of the most reviled, if not the most reviled, episodes in the series, and you more or less have to ignore that it happened to even like his character.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
It's that time again...

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/jago-litefoot---weekend-offers

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jago and Litefoot is worth just for the behind the scenes stuff. Benjamin and Baxter obviously have such fondness for one another, and they often come off like a less acerbic Statler and Waldorf.

eg, from Series 9's behind the scenes:

Baxter: I do love working with all these young actors Big Finish hires.
Benjamin: Well, they'd be hard pressed to find anyone older.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Davros1 posted:

Jago and Litefoot is worth just for the behind the scenes stuff. Benjamin and Baxter obviously have such fondness for one another, and they often come off like a less acerbic Statler and Waldorf.

eg, from Series 9's behind the scenes:

Baxter: I do love working with all these young actors Big Finish hires.
Benjamin: Well, they'd be hard pressed to find anyone older.

Aw, man, don’t tell me that, I was just about to talk myself out of plunking down for the full bundle…

Edit – No, I’m going to be good. I’ll pick up the “Voyages” stuff and the Companion Chronicle, and if I like it I’ll wait for the next sale.

I hate being an adult. What’s the point of being grown up?

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 29, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

Seriously. :smith:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Seriously. :smith:

Wow…between that comic and going to see Rush tomorrow night on what’s probably their final tour, I’ve never felt so old.

I need a freakin’ drink. Where’s my copy of The Wormery?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Aw, man, don’t tell me that, I was just about to talk myself out of plunking down for the full bundle…

Edit – No, I’m going to be good. I’ll pick up the “Voyages” stuff and the Companion Chronicle, and if I like it I’ll wait for the next sale.

The Companion Chronicle (The Mahogany Murders) has a bunch of the same behind-the-scenes stuff attached to it, though, so you're still getting some of the good stuff! It's one of the few where, because both characters are such hams, you really believe the frame story, that they're putting on this performance for one another. They're really such a class act, it's hard to not catch their contagious enthusiasm.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

The fact that we're even able to consider these decisions means that we have more opportunities to be grown up in our own way than any time previous. I remember seeing New Adventures at Crown books, but there was no way I could ask my parents to buy them - all gone now. Today there are much better options, you have the capital and its socially acceptable to consider spending it on something like this, and you're not stuck worrying "if I don't get it now, it may go away forever!"

I think it's gonna be okay, CobiWann. :unsmith:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

After The War posted:

The fact that we're even able to consider these decisions means that we have more opportunities to be grown up in our own way than any time previous. I remember seeing New Adventures at Crown books, but there was no way I could ask my parents to buy them - all gone now. Today there are much better options, you have the capital and its socially acceptable to consider spending it on something like this, and you're not stuck worrying "if I don't get it now, it may go away forever!"

I think it's gonna be okay, CobiWann. :unsmith:

:unsmith:

BRB, convincing my wife it's ok to drop a couple hundred bucks on that corset...

I think you just don’t want me listening to The Wormery!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CobiWann posted:

If I'm not mistaken, the "Voyages" stuff is always 5 pounds (at least, it was at release and for a while after that) so it's not really a bargain.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Davros1 posted:

If I'm not mistaken, the "Voyages" stuff is always 5 pounds (at least, it was at release and for a while after that) so it's not really a bargain.

NO! NO! Bad Davros, BAD DAVROS!!!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

I think you just don’t want me listening to The Wormery!

You know, maybe you'll dig it. Around here, we call that one the "little strangle-y motions" audio. Not to be confused with the "seriously considering throwing iPod into nearby lake" audio (The Rapture). But I generally get annoyed with "You know the best part of Doctor Who? Me. :smuggo:" and Paul Magrs is the king of that. But you may feel differently, I really enjoyed The Sandman, have grown to like Dalek Empire and Cyberman and even have a soft spot for a certain Unbound audio that is universally despised. (Okay, just the David Tennant parts.) So it's all subjective.

Although I still want to want to scream "Dammit, Magrs, worms are mescal, not tequila, and it's a stupid tourist thing anyway!" No comment on how the substance in question may generally be involved in my Big Finish experience. :beerpal:

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

CobiWann posted:

Wow…between that comic and going to see Rush tomorrow night on what’s probably their final tour, I’ve never felt so old.

I need a freakin’ drink. Where’s my copy of The Wormery?

If you ever want to know how old you REALLY are, look up what song was #1 when you graduated high school. :getin:

(Don't do this, it will make you feel super frickin old :smith:)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

whatsabattle posted:

If you ever want to know how old you REALLY are, look up what song was #1 when you graduated high school. :getin:

(Don't do this, it will make you feel super frickin old :smith:)

“Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman,” Bryan Adams.

drat it.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

CobiWann posted:

“Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman,” Bryan Adams.

drat it.

I warned you! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

whatsabattle posted:

I warned you! :(

I couldn’t help it! It was like a big red button! Who could resist pushing a big red button?!?

• Locked thread