Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Sinjang posted:

Google Photos still no good for ancient, large, scruffy collections with patchy exif data because it dumps all uploads which don't have Date Taken at the top of the stream and provides no tools to add dates, let alone rough estimate dates like flickr does.

Also no good for huge Mum collections with 75 gigs of meticulously organized holiday snaps to sync because the desktop uploader ignores folders and dumps them all in a monstrous blob.

A quick Google search spat out this software, maybe it does what you want?

http://www.photome.de/

Sinjang posted:

or they were sent by friends over services that stripped the data in transit.

The real question here is why services would strip metadata.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
It's your job to fix your lovely metadata, not theirs.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Then you're buying the wrong phone.

Moto X 2013 only came in 16 gb in Yurop :france:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

It's basically the same argument people have about music where they keep it all in named folders instead of tagging it properly and then complain that modern cloud-based systems don't handle their 1980s-style organisation scheme.

It's not really the same. Music at least has properties but photos don't really have natural metadata fields. I mean, until smartphones you generally couldn't have GPS and old digital cameras didn't really have a way to insert usable data.

Obviously it's not a problem going forward but I can see where it's a big pain point for anyone alive before this millennium who had accumulated a large cache of photos they'd like to save to the cloud.

Sinjang
May 29, 2013

quote:

The real question here is why services would strip metadata.

It seems to be the photos sent to me over Viber which have no date taken.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Whizbang posted:

ugh why can't google ~just know~ ughhhh

Sinjang
May 29, 2013

Whizbang posted:

I am fixing it in file properties in windows. It's time consuming and you have to specify dates down to the day. It's not an answer for nontechnical people with big collections with incomplete metadata. I'm sure Google wants those people's photos too.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Sinjang posted:

I am fixing it in file properties in windows. It's time consuming and you have to specify dates down to the day. It's not an answer for nontechnical people with big collections with incomplete metadata. I'm sure Google wants those people's photos too.

Sure, but Google isn't a telepath. What you're asking is the equivalent of calling tech support and screaming "FIXITFIXITFIXIT" into the phone. Google can't do anything with data you don't provide.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Sinjang posted:

I'm sure Google wants those people's photos too.

Most non-technical people don't know that Google+ Photos/Google Photos even exists. Google is beyond horrible at advertising new products to their users.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

vyst posted:

ugh why can't google ~just know~ ughhhh
Alternatively, "Google knows? That's private Google :argh:"

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Guillermus posted:

I searched for a 4" to 4.7" screen with 2600mAh or more battery with 9 results (if you get a 5" screen you get a tad more):
http://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?fDisplayInchesMin=4&fDisplayInchesMax=4.7&nBatCapacityMin=2600&sOSes=2&sOSversions=2440,2500

LG Volt has a 4.7" screen (540 x 960) and 3000mAh battery, Snapdragon 400, 1Gb RAM...
http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_volt-6357.php

I personally would go with a Z3C. It doen't have a 3000mAh battery but is awesome on the rest (a coworker reported me that its battery life is really nice).

Thank you! However, no Z3C for me as I am on Verizon. :sigh:

I would consider the LG Volt but the 1GB of RAM is the only reason I had to get away from the RAZR MAXX HD (or I'd still be using it today). I found it got way too laggy way too quickly due to the RAM being maxed.

hotsauce posted:

Just when you thought SD cards went the way of the dodo, Google baked in a way to "marry" SD storage as if it were part of the phone:

http://developer.android.com/preview/behavior-changes.html#behavior-adoptable-storage

Can't wait on the crying that will happen en masse when said SD card fails and the entire phone breaks.

I've come to live without microSD expansion but I still am annoyed that nothing mounts as a mass storage USB device since (I think?) Jellybean. It might sound like :spergin: but I tried to transfer ~30 photos from a friend's phone to my PC and MTP mode really sucks. It kept randomly closing the folder (as if the phone was disconnected, but it wasn't) and I could only get it to work if I transferred like 4 photos at a time. I also always seem to need to plug in the phone like 4 times until Windows detects it sometimes (doesn't matter which PC, phone, or cable). MTP mode also seems incredibly slow compared to mass storage mode. I guess the reason they switched to MTP makes sense (you could delete a system app while it was running I guess?) but I really miss mass storage even today.

Sinjang
May 29, 2013

Whizbang posted:

Sure, but Google isn't a telepath. What you're asking is the equivalent of calling tech support and screaming "FIXITFIXITFIXIT" into the phone. Google can't do anything with data you don't provide.

I'm not. How did you form the impression that I think Google should know how to sort photos with no metadata? I said the opposite, that their algorithms couldn't handle the job and that's why simple manual tools are needed.

They need to implement a user-friendly way to prompt for nonprecise date data after upload so that they can weave those old photos into the main photo stream better. There also needs to be a way to manually order photos with bad data within an album.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Melmac posted:

Thank you! However, no Z3C for me as I am on Verizon. :sigh:

I would consider the LG Volt but the 1GB of RAM is the only reason I had to get away from the RAZR MAXX HD (or I'd still be using it today). I found it got way too laggy way too quickly due to the RAM being maxed.

I've come to live without microSD expansion but I still am annoyed that nothing mounts as a mass storage USB device since (I think?) Jellybean. It might sound like :spergin: but I tried to transfer ~30 photos from a friend's phone to my PC and MTP mode really sucks. It kept randomly closing the folder (as if the phone was disconnected, but it wasn't) and I could only get it to work if I transferred like 4 photos at a time. I also always seem to need to plug in the phone like 4 times until Windows detects it sometimes (doesn't matter which PC, phone, or cable). MTP mode also seems incredibly slow compared to mass storage mode. I guess the reason they switched to MTP makes sense (you could delete a system app while it was running I guess?) but I really miss mass storage even today.

If you're using a USB cable for almost anything the chances are you're doing whatever you're trying to do wrong. If you want to move a bunch of photos you should upload them to the cloud and share them from there. If you want to move files from the computer to the phone or vice versa use SMB shares or a cloud service or AirDroid or a file browser with ad-hoc wifi connectivity or a million other ways. Single files should be sent via Android Beam or Pushbullet.

Even charging should be done via Qi. ( :smug: )

The only reason I use a cable is for fastboot and really users shouldn't ever need to do that either.

Sinjang
May 29, 2013

Sinjang posted:

they need to provide simple manual organising tools or figure out a way to stop the files with bad data from making the photo stream nonsensical.

Oh right, I see how this could have been misinterpreted. I meant something like hiding the photos with missing data from the main timeline or using their Date Created until the user provides a better date. A lot of my photos with missing Date Taken have a Date Created which seems fairly accurate and using that could be preferable to defaulting to date uploaded.

Sinjang posted:

rough estimate dates like flickr does.

I didn't mean Google should guess the dates with telepathy. Flickr lets you give a rough estimate if you can't remember the precise date.

Sinjang fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 29, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea I had to delete a shitload of photos because I just assumed the software would at the very least be able to interpret the 'date created' portion of a file. So now I have to find some sort of software that updates metadata and can pull it from the date created.

What sucks now is that there are a bunch of files mixed in that had the correct dates in that timeline, so there will likely be a bunch of duplicates.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I have a shocking admission: I don't use Google photos. :smugmrgw:

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Captain Yossarian posted:

Same. I prefer Motorola's gallery

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Captain Yossarian posted:

That's not shocking.

It wasn't particularly great before this revamp that just came out. I think many people "used" it in the sense that they enabled auto-backup so they'd have a backup, and then continued using whatever gallery app they used before.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Thermopyle posted:

That's not shocking.

It wasn't particularly great before this revamp that just came out. I think many people "used" it in the sense that they enabled auto-backup so they'd have a backup, and then continued using whatever gallery app they used before.

Haha yeah in my case I use both amazon and Microsoft's cloud services more heavily then Google so I just backup using them instead.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I can't make myself trust Google photos. I know it's overly paranoid, but given things we've heard about NSA analysts passing people's naked selfies around the office, I'm terrified that autobackup would vacuum up some picture of my wife and it's off to be archived by 100 different spy agencies and google employees. I'd be way more comfortable with it if it just threw up a prompt after I took a photo to ask whether it should back it up.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I can't make myself trust Google photos. I know it's overly paranoid, but given things we've heard about NSA analysts passing people's naked selfies around the office, I'm terrified that autobackup would vacuum up some picture of my wife and it's off to be archived by 100 different spy agencies and google employees. I'd be way more comfortable with it if it just threw up a prompt after I took a photo to ask whether it should back it up.

Haven't heard this in a while in this thread. Personally I hope the NSA passes around dick pics of me one day.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Haven't heard this in a while in this thread. Personally I hope the NSA passes around dick pics of me one day.

Same. Check out my dilz Obama

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Google may know what weird websites I go to and what my gross fetishes are, they may know what books I read and movies I watch, they may know everyone who I contact frequently, they may know where I am and where I go, and they may even know what my heart rate is at the moment but by God they will not know how funny looking my dick is.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Do you use Dropbox photo backup? One Drive? Or you don't back up photos to any cloud service? Also:

Require More Fire posted:

Google may know what weird websites I go to and what my gross fetishes are, they may know what books I read and movies I watch, they may know everyone who I contact frequently, they may know where I am and where I go, and they may even know what my heart rate is at the moment but by God they will not know how funny looking my dick is.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/11/googlers-say-f-you-to-nsa-company-encrypts-internal-network/

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

It's not really the same. Music at least has properties but photos don't really have natural metadata fields. I mean, until smartphones you generally couldn't have GPS and old digital cameras didn't really have a way to insert usable data.

Obviously it's not a problem going forward but I can see where it's a big pain point for anyone alive before this millennium who had accumulated a large cache of photos they'd like to save to the cloud.

How do you mean? EXIF's been around for like two decades, it's as 'natural' as any metadata embedded in a music file - more so really, since the camera automatically records the data when you take a photo. Music files can end up with any old garbage in their metadata, if they have anything at all

It would be a bigger problem with things like scanned photos, where the closest thing you have to a reliable date is the timestamp on the file itself, which is nothing to do with the date of the photo. But that's what metadata's for! You can put them all in 'My 1970s Family Pics' but you can't expect an automated system that relies on standardised data to understand your folder naming system. It would be nice if they said 'uh oh' and gave you some options, but with all this identification and grouping technology I think they just want to make all your grandmas appear magically

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Any idea why the base Google App would keep my CPU awake 1hr with 1.5hr on charge? I've been getting poo poo battery life the past week and Google App seems to be at least the majority of my battery drain somehow.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
A 1.5mb update just dropped to my MAXX. Dunno what it is for though.

quote:

The latest software update for the Droid Maxx, Droid Ultra and Droid Mini merely brings a plethora of bug fixes while improving the overall system stability. There’s nothing more that this latest update to offer.

It’s not the Lollipop update that most users have been keeping their fingers crossed for, and so far both Verizon and Motorola have not provided a release date, so the wait continues.

Build number 24.13.2 is being rolled out over the air and it contains bug fixes and stability improvements, as previously mentioned, the carrier approved this update on Friday so it should have been rolled out to all users across the country by now.

When the update goes live users will receive a notification on their device informing them that a new software update is available, it’s then downloaded over-the-air and installed right on the device itself.

Clockwork Sputnik fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 29, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

A 1.5mb update just dropped to my MAXX. Dunno what it is for though.
Awesome. Keep us posted.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

RVProfootballer posted:

Do you use Dropbox photo backup? One Drive? Or you don't back up photos to any cloud service? Also:

Nope, I use 0 photo backup at all. I manually pull my photos off my phone onto my hard drive via USB cable, which is encrypted.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The update is a maintenance patch for a whole slew of moto phones (including the Nexus 6) relating to the dialer and emergency calling.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Special-maintenance-update-headed-to-Motorola-handsets-to-fix-a-serious-problem-with-emergency-calls_id69001

quote:

Motorola has a special maintenance update rolling out to the first generation Motorola Moto X, second generation Motorola Moto X, Nexus 6, Motorola DROID Turbo, Motorola Moto MAXX, Motorola DROID Ultra and the Motorola Moto X Pro. The problem is an extremely rare occurrence, according to Motorola. What sets it off is when someone using one of the Motorola handsets listed above stars to make an emergency call before entering the PIN on an encrypted phone.

By doing this, the emergency call is placed before the phone gets a chance to completely boot up. As a result, the emergency call is connected, but only with audio on one side of the call. The phone user will be able to hear the dispatcher, but the dispatcher will be unable to hear the phone user. In a real emergency, if the dispatcher cannot hear what emergency the caller is having, it could lead to a fatality.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Any idea why the base Google App would keep my CPU awake 1hr with 1.5hr on charge? I've been getting poo poo battery life the past week and Google App seems to be at least the majority of my battery drain somehow.

Clear your google app and services cache and data, I was having this problem and that fixed it for now. Also try signing in and out of your google search account.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hey people on lollipop, if you go into a long listview (like your list of installed apps in the settings) and go a ways down, then flick the list down three times so it starts zooming back up to the top... does it bounce off the top and start scrolling back down?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

hotsauce posted:

Just when you thought SD cards went the way of the dodo, Google baked in a way to "marry" SD storage as if it were part of the phone:

http://developer.android.com/preview/behavior-changes.html#behavior-adoptable-storage

Can't wait on the crying that will happen en masse when said SD card fails and the entire phone breaks.

Microsoft used to do this with Windows Phone 7 and it was super lovely because people just buy the most garbagey SD cards they can.

EDIT: After reading more, this sounds less prone to failure than what Microsoft used to do, which was to "stitch together" the onboard storage and SD card into one unified chunk of storage, but I assume it will still end in tears.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 29, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Nope, I use 0 photo backup at all. I manually pull my photos off my phone onto my hard drive via USB cable, which is encrypted.

Got it. Didn't know if you were especially cautious about Google in particular or something.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Hey people on lollipop, if you go into a long listview (like your list of installed apps in the settings) and go a ways down, then flick the list down three times so it starts zooming back up to the top... does it bounce off the top and start scrolling back down?

I have this same issue while speed scrolling up in the twitter app Fenix. It'll scroll up a ways then just reverse and start scrolling down. It's not hitting the top because I'll still have unviewed tweets. This is on a Nexus 6.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
The NVIDIA Shield Android TV is really great. It needs some more integration with google services but so far I really like it. Its so loving fast and buttery smooth. For my cord cutting setup its ideal, I can switch from live OTA channels to netflix/hulu/etc and it has Chromecast abilities. The downsides are the price and that it doesn't ship with the simple remote.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

5436 posted:

The NVIDIA Shield Android TV is really great. It needs some more integration with google services but so far I really like it. Its so loving fast and buttery smooth. For my cord cutting setup its ideal, I can switch from live OTA channels to netflix/hulu/etc and it has Chromecast abilities. The downsides are the price and that it doesn't ship with the simple remote.

By any chance do you use the HBO Go app and have Comcast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Variable_H posted:

I have this same issue while speed scrolling up in the twitter app Fenix. It'll scroll up a ways then just reverse and start scrolling down. It's not hitting the top because I'll still have unviewed tweets. This is on a Nexus 6.

I get this on long playlists in Play Music too. Annoying as gently caress.