Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Joementum posted:

Too bad Newt got trashed in song at the Grammies that year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKucBtFwymU

I wanna believe that is real. Tell me it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
O'Malley's ramping up the suspense about his announcement. Whatever could he be announcing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se-H0tiKNf8

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Zelder posted:

Why are you so angry? You seem really angry.

What? I have no idea what you are talking about. I use bad language a lot, is that what you are talking about?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

O'Malley's ramping up the suspense about his announcement. Whatever could he be announcing?

That he needs guitar lessons? :v:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Pohl posted:

I'll take the bait.

I was born early 1973. I'm not saying my age makes me wiser than younger people, but he wrote that poo poo in 1972. I think he has probably grown and matured a lot since that time.
He also hasn't had a consistent message that reinforces or supports that writing. When he says it was satire, I believe him. Is that because I'm politically motivated since I like him? Possibly, but he hasn't been putting that message out there again and again to raise money or entice people to his cause. That isn't his message, it was a loving stupid article that he should be ashamed of.

I mean loving christ, if we find out he had a newsletter that contained an unending stream of woman shaming, maybe we can have a conversation about Bernie being a douche bag.
Did you actually read the whole thing? It seems to be about how both men and women are hurt by traditional gender roles. It isn't exactly out of the main stream for left-wing thinking. It's not exactly written in a particularly coherent manner, but then again, Bernie Sanders didn't embark on a career of writing.

Of course, everyone is going to focus on the bait-hooking first few lines. But starting out with a few suggestive first sentences is basically journalism-101 to get people to continue reading. It's just in this particular case, it looks bad 43 years later, out of context.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Inferior Third Season posted:

Did you ad the whole thing?

Honestly, no. It bored the poo poo out of me. I set out to read so I could see what his message was but it was just horrible writing and I couldn't be bothered with it.
The thing that pisses me off is exactly what you said, people are going to try and use it against him some 40 years later. That might matter if it was a consistent message, but it isn't.

He didn't have a racist news letter and he didn't have a few friends hold a guy down in college so he could cut the guys hair. The conservative press is trying to make comparisons to poo poo like that and it isn't even close to the same thing.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Pohl posted:

I was born early 1973. I'm not saying my age makes me wiser than younger people, but he wrote that poo poo in 1972. I think he has probably grown and matured a lot since that time.

Yep we should take someone's age and the social context of the time period into account before we judge them for actions in the past.

(Unless you're Mitt Romney)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Yep we should take someone's age and the social context of the time period into account before we judge them for actions in the past.

Mitt Romney's still a horrible person even after the social context of the time period is taken into account. He protested in favor of the Vietnam War then dodged the draft for a French vacation.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

I'm pretty sure forcefully holding someone down and cutting their hair off would be hosed up in the social context of 9th century Scandinavia, let alone 20th century America.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Pohl posted:

Honestly, no. It bored the poo poo out of me. I set out to read so I could see what his message was but it was just horrible writing and I couldn't be bothered with it.

Read -> comprehend -> post

After the first couple titillating lines, it reads like any other leftist gender role screed from the 70s. In context, it doesn't need much defending. Outside of that context, you should just read the damned thing or not comment on it.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

I tried to answer any stupid Mitt Romney comparisons in my original follow up post.
It isn't even close to the same thing you shitlord.

Delta-Wye posted:

After the first couple titillating lines, it reads like any other leftist gender role screed from the 70s. In context, it doesn't need much defending. Outside of that context, you should just read the damned thing or not comment on it.

I should have read it. I still think my point stands that it doesn't matter because it was 40 years ago and that isn't his message. It was a one time thing.
You were right to slap me down, however. I deserved that.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 29, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The sanders article is a poorly written critique of gender roles being harmful. that doesn't stop me from raising a very skeptical eyebrow when he suggests that as a result of these gender roles, men get off to the idea of physically a used women.

Maybe I'm just defensive because I've been jerking to the wrong ideas all my life, women who aren't physically abused.

Also wow that piece was boring it's a page long and I almost couldn't finish it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
We have the first attack ad of 2016. It is from America's Liberty PAC (Rand Paul) and goes after "Capitulating Canadian" Ted Cruz.

It's a doozy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7qy-4CBBZo&t=15

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Pohl posted:

I tried to answer any stupid Mitt Romney comparisons in my original post.
It isn't even close to the same thing you shitlord.

Right, your underlying logic that people can grow and mature is apparently only applicable to events in 1972 when someone is in their 30s. Applying the same logic to an event in 1965 when someone is in their teens is spurious... because... you said it was.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Right, your underlying logic that people can grow and mature is apparently only applicable to events in 1972 when someone is in their 30s. Applying the same logic to an event in 1965 when someone is in their teens is spurious... because... you said it was.

No physical harm, not a consistent message, no news letter... at this time, as far as we know it was a one time thing in a lovely leftist newsletter 40 years ago.
You are insane if you think this compares to anything people talked about with Romney or Paul.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Drastic Actions posted:

That he needs guitar lessons? :v:

That his band is planning to play at Hillary's inauguration?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Yes why would anyone here continue to believe that Romney is still a sociopath?

:mitt:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Pohl posted:

No physical harm, not a consistent message, no news letter... at this time, as far as we know it was a one time thing in a lovely leftist newsletter 40 years ago.
You are insane if you think this compares to anything people talked about with Romney or Paul.

"No newsletter, just a newsletter - you can't compare them".

Sure, okay.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

We have the first attack ad of 2016. It is from America's Liberty PAC (Rand Paul) and goes after "Capitulating Canadian" Ted Cruz.

It's a doozy

That ad makes no loving sense and I love it.
Doozy doesn't describe it.

Everyone needs to click that loving link.

Sure, okay.

lol

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Delta-Wye posted:

Yeah it's not radically different than a lot of writing that was being done in feminist circles in the 70s, but it isn't well written or explained and he doesn't get into a substantive discussion of how things can be changed, which other people writing on the subject did.I get the impression he was just repeating au courant arguments instead of thinking deeply about it. That being said it's still dangerous and uh, problematic that he readily adopts a position that women have, as a class, universally had the same reaction to messed up and toxic gender roles; it's neither correct nor wise to say that all women fantasize about rape. And really he should have known that even then.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fried Chicken posted:

It's a doozy

Man what the gently caress even is this? Has Rand Paul been showing up to events in Grave Digger or something?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Sure, okay.

The first unimpeachable DisreputableDog post.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

The first unimpeachable DisreputableDog post.

That actually hurts me. I had the Ron Paul newsletter on my brain and I used the drat term twice when I meant to type something else, like underground leaflet.
It loving pains me.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Going for the Thad McCotter strategy I see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4GrClpp5RE

e: Not gonna lie, I'd briefly consider voting for the first candidate who can play the intro to Hot For Teacher.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
The only moral newsletter is my newsletter.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Yet again, Hillary skates around all these mini-scandals!

* Also a victim of hair-bullying (society forced her to dye it)

* Clearly not submissive since Bill needs to go elsewhere for his power fantasies

* Could never have strapped a pet to her car since she hasn't driven one in like 30 years

:how:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

It's a doozy

The shot of the US Capitol blowing up is really great optics!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Yes why would anyone here continue to believe that Romney is still a sociopath?

:mitt:

What's the story behind this image I can't ever remember.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Benghazi.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shakenbaker posted:

Man what the gently caress even is this? Has Rand Paul been showing up to events in Grave Digger or something?

Probably not, that'd take way too much time that he could be spending at the gym.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Hollismason posted:

Romney immediately held a press conference after the attack to directly call Obama out. Basically saw the whole thing as an opportunity for his election.

Later led to the infamous "Please, proceed governor" moment.

Gyges posted:

Probably not, that'd take way too much time that he could be spending at the gym.

But I thought P90X was Ryan's whole deal?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Fried Chicken posted:

It's a doozy

Don't let AI see this, they've got a thing for old Geo Metros.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Hollismason posted:

R-Money dancing on Vilerat's grave.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
John Podesta in a pantsuit t-shirt.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I always liked this one from 08:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC0jni46HCg

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Linc's in! (on June 3), so the "Democratic" field will double by the end of next week.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Hillary Clinton comic book wonders if maybe Bill could get murdered by prostitutes in the White House who then take out Secret Service agents on their way to Hillary's bedroom.

Just something Americans should keep in mind when they're voting next year.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Gyges posted:

"Attribution: Gage Skidmore" floored me.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Fried Chicken posted:

It's a doozy

What the everloving gently caress?

Everything about this says it's satire but it seems to be legit. They have Lindsay Graham in a pink Geo Metro, for gently caress's sake. Is this peak Poe or am I just gullible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Notahippie posted:

What the everloving gently caress?

Everything about this says it's satire but it seems to be legit. They have Lindsay Graham in a pink Geo Metro, for gently caress's sake. Is this peak Poe or am I just gullible?

The real world has become indistinguishable from the Onion. Poe's Law is obsolete, having become a tautology.

• Locked thread