Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Juffo-Wup posted:

Only because the data to support that conclusion isn't there. If it turned out that unrestrained markets in every sector made people better off, then I'd jump right on board the Mises train. Incidentally, I think this is the attitude that Jrod lacks that makes arguing with him insufferable. He is insensitive to argument, on principle.

Yes. It is primarily an empirical problem in that respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Disinterested posted:

Mises I think is saying

1. It's a nonsense to say that thou shalt not kill is a law of nature, because in nature people kill themselves all over the place.
2. Thou shalt not kill is therefore a rule we have come up with
3. Because we only do things for what we perceive to be our own betterment, these rules against killing primarily as a way of furthering our own perceived interests

It's actually philosophically non-controversial to say there is no natural law against killing so that particular aspect is non problematic.

It must just be his writing style because the way he says it just seems kind of extreme. But then this is LVM.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
Jrod, is the state a necessary stepping stone to a stateless society, or is it an historical aberration?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

It must just be his writing style because the way he says it just seems kind of extreme. But then this is LVM.

The main problematic thing LVM is doing there is wonkily redefining utility as a way of assessing why one does something in its own terms - in other words, 'x is good if it is good at doing what it sets out to do' rather than 'x is good because is the best for the largest number'.

That passage is intended to be a way of calling out other free market advocates for saying that 'the market is good because it's natural or because it's what natural law indicates is the correct form of social organisation'.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Disinterested posted:

The main problematic thing LVM is doing there is wonkily redefining utility as a way of assessing why one does something in its own terms - in other words, 'x is good if it is good at doing what it sets out to do' rather than 'x is good because is the best for the largest number'.

Yeah, although I'd say that for LVM, he would say "the greatest good for the greatest number" is incoherent. His philosophy doesn't question what people choose as good or bad, only that they do so and that they then act to get the good, thus the most good must come from leaving everyone absolutely free to act banning only the use of coercion by one person on another because coercion sets up a irreconcilable conflict between the good as defined by two different people.

Of course, it turns out this is wrong, and leaving someone free to act doesn't necessarily maximise the good, even from that person's own point of view. When I buy something from an unethical company, I'm usually not making a rational decision that I prefer the amount of pollution or child slavery or whatever they bring to the world. More likely I'm ignorant of it, or their crimes seem distant and too far removed, or I have no practical superior choice, or I just plain don't have the time to be an informed consumer making socially conscious purchases everywhere. Turns out that's a lot of information, being an informed consumer takes serious work, and putting the burden on me by leaving me "free" to do it all myself means those realities maneuver me into monetarily supporting things I oppose.

When I go to a restaurant, what I want is safe, edible food prepared in a hygienic kitchen. I don't want to be awarded the "freedom" negotiate an inspection with the manager and test my own food for E.Coli.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
There's a strong current in normative ethics that sees 'rationality' as denoting a kind of facility for means-ends reasoning, and furthermore that the maximally rational action just is the morally best action, which entails that to act immorally is to be less than perfectly rational. (I think this comes out of a sort of Platonic tradition where the necessary and sufficient condition of virtue is to apprehend the form of The Good).

The libertarian twist seems to be to take it as given that we are perfectly rational, and therefore any decision we make (on the basis of means-ends reasoning?) must be the all-things-considered (read: morally) best thing to do.

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity

VitalSigns posted:

Which makes it especially :psyduck: that he relies on Von Mises' argument in Human Action as the basis for his moral and economic belief systems.

...an argument that explicitly rejects natural law and deontological ethics as arbitrary and circular, and asserts that only utilitarian considerations can justify our moral rules of right and wrong.

Straight-up, jrodefeld, have you ever actually read Human Action in its entirety, or merely excerpts and bastardizations of it from Rothbard essays? Because if you're looking for a reading list and you haven't read Human Action, you should probably do that before relying on bits and pieces of it or trying to convince others with it.

I never knew that Mises didn't even believe in natural rights. Why is that all internet Libertarians ever seem to talk about then, if they like Mises so much? :psyduck: (I know why)

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Time to read Zinn posted:

I never knew that Mises didn't even believe in natural rights. Why is that all internet Libertarians ever seem to talk about then, if they like Mises so much? :psyduck: (I know why)

None of them even bother to read Mises.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Time to read Zinn posted:

Their functioning knowledge of philosophy can be summed up as vaguely remembering the cliffsnotes of Locke/Hobbes/Rousseau from high school and then reading Rothbard/Hoppe essays. It's also why they never respond when people cite Rawls or Nozick.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is this the thread to post poorly worded defenses of Ross Ulbricht?

quote:

It's true that freedom is a key enabler of people exercising their power irresponsibly and harming innocents as a result. The problem with authoritarians is that they believe it is acceptable to curtail everyone's freedom in order to attempt to prevent a few bad actors from abusing it. Ross Ulbricht's actions reduced the violence inherent to the illegal drug trade by providing a platform for people to conduct voluntary trade from the safety of their own home; he was in no way responsible for other people who used their newfound freedoms irresponsibly. I have no qualms publicly stating that it is my life's mission to subvert authoritarians in every way possible, chiefly through the application of liberating technology. The war between the Cypherpunks and the States has only just begun.

Please ignore the fact that he tried to place two hits on people's lives.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

George Reisman has a new essay, here's the Amazon description

quote:

This essay shows that the goal of equality of opportunity is both absurd and vicious. Achieving it would require that children all be raised in the same environment and have the same genetic inheritance. In contrast, the essay shows that what we should actually strive for is the freedom of opportunity. Freedom of opportunity means the ability to exploit the opportunities afforded by reality, without being stopped by the initiation of physical force, in particular the initiation of physical force by the government or that takes place with the sanction of the government.

For example, people are unable to find work not because there is no work for them to do in physical reality, but because government and labor-union interference, based on the initiation of physical force, prices their labor beyond the reach of potential employers. The amount of work that is out there waiting to be done may be gauged by adding up all the goods and services people would like to have but presently can’t afford to buy. The total of such work far exceeds our ability ever to preform it. Physical force, or the threat of physical force, is what stops people from seizing such opportunities to the point of all who want jobs finding jobs. It creates unemployment in violating people’s freedom of opportunity.

The essay shows what opportunities actually are, how they are the product of human thought and effort, and why and how they require individual freedom for their exploitation. The essay upholds the idea of “the self-made man” and demonstrates how and why in later life—in a free society—children born to poor parents can, and again and again do, overtake and surpass the children of far wealthier parents.

The essay is essential reading for anyone who wants to defend not only individual freedom but also economic inequality and the institution of inheritance.

Fuckin objectivism.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Fuckin objectivism.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Phone posted:

I feel like I could go on at length about how this is all entirely bullshit because using technology to be "disruptive " not only doesn't make you a hero, it turns you into uber and strips away all the good things the state can so once again a select few can be "market visionaries" and exploit others without even doing any real work.

VitalSigns posted:

Fuckin objectivism.

Someone read the first paragraph of egalitarianism on Wikipedia and felt that it was risky someone might be OK with the idea of cooperation.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Phone posted:

He tried to have 6 people killed, because in one of them he directed the supposed hitman to also kill his spouse and kids.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nintendo Kid posted:

He tried to have 6 people killed, because in one of them he directed the supposed hitman to also kill his spouse and kids.

I also posted the response in the yospos thread, but

I would post the earlier bits, but it's just some lightweight "Ross got screwed by his own doing :qq:" garbage.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The story on ars technica doesa good job of illustrating how we have an entire sub culture of irresponsible shitheads that has been reinforced by the internet and if we ran the world their way, there wouldnt be one. People like this are why I'm always quick to point out how all our technological and scientific progress happens in spite of their parasitic behavior instead of their free market dry humping.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/05/sunk-how-ross-ulbricht-ended-up-in-prison-for-life/

quote:

"I could buy anything"

On the first day of the trial, 26-year old Max Dickstein had come dressed in a black ninja costume while holding a poster reading "The Chosen One," featuring a picture of Ross Ulbricht and the Bitcoin logo. Midway through the trial, I bumped into Dickstein again as he smoked a cigarette on the court’s eighth floor balcony with two friends.

Beneath a mop of black hair, Dickstein smiles often, in a way that suggests he has secrets to share.

"Rolex!" said Dickstein, thrusting his wrist toward me. "Let's just say I got it on a certain Tor-only marketplace."

"Got it," I said, looking at the gold watch. "Is it real?"

"No!" he said. The trio erupted with laughter.

I had dinner with Dickstein in Chinatown, where he lives. He's an "out-there" libertarian, he explained. His father is a currency trader, and Dickstein, who describes himself as an "unrepentant one-percenter," dropped out of college to trade currency as well. He got his father interested in Bitcoin, which he saw "as an alternative to gold," he told me.

Dickstein wouldn't say on the record whether he'd made buys on Silk Road or other "darknet" markets, but his knowledge of them was extensive. Silk Road had far more traffic than its competitors and had features other markets didn't have, including the ability to "hedge" Bitcoin, which essentially froze the value of the trade at the moment the buyer and seller agreed on it. That protected either side from losing money due to Bitcoin volatility.

Other markets included Black Market Reloaded, which had everything, including guns, which Silk Road didn't traffic in, but it became clear talking to Dickstein that one of the reasons for Silk Road's success was because people trusted it. Much of the credit for that went to DPR himself, who was communicative and helpful. With millions of dollars' worth of bitcoin in the site’s "escrow" system at any given time, nothing could stop a market owner from running with all the escrowed cash. But DPR wasn't like that—he had truly wanted to build the site, and his users believed in him.

I asked him what Dickstein thought about the Ulbricht case; his answer had a kind of duality to it that I would hear from other supporters. If Ross was innocent, then he was a victim and a hero, Dickstein believed. If Ross was guilty—then he was an even bigger hero.

"He created a marketplace where I could buy anything," said Dickstein.

He was even more enthusiastic about the idea of Karpeles getting in trouble. Dickstein was certain that the collapse of Mt. Gox had been straight-up theft by Karpeles, to the tune of $400 million worth of bitcoins—including $16,000 of Dickstein's own.

I asked him how he knew the two other men who'd been smoking on the balcony with him. They met at a 9/11 Truth rally, he explained.

"Building Seven, at least, was brought down by explosives," he said. He had been living near the site at the time with his parents, when just barely a teenager.

I said nothing, but Dickstein could read my skepticism. "Like I said, I'm out there," he told me, smiling broadly.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I wasn't even going to put out any hits until they brought it up! loving statists, violence is always the first solution for you isn't it?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

Fuckin objectivism.

I do love how Labor Unions, a private entity are being blamed here. I mean its almost as though he wants some other entity to eliminate them.....

Caros
May 14, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

I do love how Labor Unions, a private entity are being blamed here. I mean its almost as though he wants some other entity to eliminate them.....

The Pinkerton's?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Caros posted:

The Pinkerton's?

Of course they would only be using violence on property that they are authorized, and Reisman and other Austrians wouldn't support violence in areas they are not authorized.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

SedanChair posted:

I wasn't even going to put out any hits until they brought it up! loving statists, violence is always the first solution for you isn't it?

Not that you've likely forgotten, but this is as good a time as any to remind the thread that bitcoiner libertarians have argued that hiring assassins doesn't violate NAP and isn't really violence on the part of whomever chooses so to do.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Not that you've likely forgotten, but this is as good a time as any to remind the thread that bitcoiner libertarians have argued that hiring assassins doesn't violate NAP and isn't really violence on the part of whomever chooses so to do.

*in a loud voice* Who will rid me of this troublesome wife creditor?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Gladiatorial battles to the death would obviously be allowed in Libertaria, yes? Or is that a line too far even for them?

It's not.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

RuanGacho posted:

The story on ars technica doesa good job of illustrating how we have an entire sub culture of irresponsible shitheads that has been reinforced by the internet and if we ran the world their way, there wouldnt be one. People like this are why I'm always quick to point out how all our technological and scientific progress happens in spite of their parasitic behavior instead of their free market dry humping.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/05/sunk-how-ross-ulbricht-ended-up-in-prison-for-life/

It's probably a derail but the story of how they got Ulbricht's laptop always gets a laugh out of me. I mean I can picture a real FBI task force realizing that they should get the laptop before he turned it off and the encryption set in, I can even imagine them coming up with a crazy scheme to get it, but a male and female agent pretending to be a couple in a heated argument to distract him is straight out of a bad police procedural on a major American TV network :allears:.

Like have they worked together for years and the other agents have a betting pool going on how long before they hook up? Is one of them by-the-book and the other witty and laid back? I hear that story and my mind brings up images from Castle/Moonlighting/Psych etc.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

Gladiatorial battles to the death would obviously be allowed in Libertaria, yes? Or is that a line too far even for them?

It's not.

Hey man it's totally fine if both parties agreed to it ahead of time and knew what they were getting into. Just ignore that it would probably very often be people so utterly desperate that they had few other choices. Now let me tell you about how it's morally acceptable for a man to sell himself into slavery...

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hey man it's totally fine if both parties agreed to it ahead of time and knew what they were getting into. Just ignore that it would probably very often be people so utterly desperate that they had few other choices. Now let me tell you about how it's morally acceptable for a man to sell himself into slavery...

Well duh. I mean it's not like that sort of society would ever engage in any truly despicable, immoral behavior that aggressed towards its citizens...like :siren:LEVYING TAXES TO PAY FOR INFRASTRUCTURE MAINTENANCE!!!:siren:

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Well duh. I mean it's not like that sort of society would ever engage in any truly despicable, immoral behavior that aggressed towards its citizens...like :siren:LEVYING TAXES TO PAY FOR INFRASTRUCTURE MAINTENANCE!!!:siren:

Those taxes were theft! I didn't ask for that infrastructure, so I shouldn't have to pay for it! Of course I use it every day, I'm a free man!

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Libertarian demographics. :eyepop:

That leads me to some questions for Jrod if he ever comes back this summer.

Have ever talked to someone in real life, outside of your circle of friends, about libertarianism/an-cap? Someone who is a different color or sex than you? Because I think I'd have an easier time convincing someone that single payer healthcare is a good idea than you would stumping for complete deregulation. Most people see Libertarianism for what it is. It's an undemocratic power grab for people who are bad at business. The kind of people who have to lie and cheat their way through life to get ahead. It enshrines bullying as the highest value. Do you really think that anybody ever became a libertarian motivated primarily by the conviction that that was the best way to help the downtrodden? Do you care about them at all?

Can you imagine what a minority would think after reading the complete works of Rothbard or Hoppe? Do you think a minority would think less of you as a person after you told them to read their material? What actual measures would you take to help those in need, those who have historically been powerless in society? Because it seems to me like the answers that libertarianism propose at best throw the baby out with the bathwater (or neglect the baby in an An-Cap's case) or they crush the needy underfoot. You can't simply buy and sell your way to a better tomorrow with free market magicks.

I have a feeling you'll say, "Vote with your wallet!", but is that really fair? Say I join Valhalla DRO. Ten of my friends and I want to some how influence the direction the DRO takes in the future. But some multi-billionaire jackass wants some flat ground, a fast car, a couple of birds at his side, and to feel the wind in his air. My friends and I on the other hand would rather crush our enemies, see them driven before us, and to hear the lamentations of their women. We're solidly middle class but this guy easily dwarfs our purchasing power. How is that fair? How is that in anyway democratic? The traditionally marginalized suffer in the same way. Under libertarianism the rich will get richer, the poor will get a boot on their neck.

Yes, society as a whole has to change its culture to create a fairer and juster world. The state can't do it all, but it does have an important role to play. We can pass meaningful laws that protect the abused while assuring those who cling to their lovely, unfair beliefs that they will answer for their injustice towards others.

HP Artsandcrafts fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 31, 2015

Caros
May 14, 2008

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

Libertarian demographics. :eyepop:

That leads me to some questions for Jrod if he ever comes back this summer.

Have ever talked to someone in real life, outside of your circle of friends, about libertarianism/an-cap? Someone who is a different color or sex than you? Because I think I'd have an easier time convincing someone that single payer healthcare is a good idea than you would stumping for complete deregulation. Most people see Libertarianism for what it is. It's an undemocratic power grab for people who are bad at business. The kind of people who have to lie and cheat their way through life to get ahead. It enshrines bullying as the highest value. Do you really think that anybody ever became a libertarian motivated primarily by the conviction that that was the best way to help the downtrodden? Do you care about them at all?

Can you imagine what a minority would think after reading the complete works of Rothbard or Hoppe? Do you think a minority would think less of you as a person after you told them to read their material? What actual measures would you take to help those in need, those who have historically been powerless in society? Because it seems to me like the answers that libertarianism propose at best throw the baby out with the bathwater (or neglect the baby in an An-Cap's case) or they crush the needy underfoot. You can't simply buy and sell your way to a better tomorrow with free market magicks.

I have a feeling you'll say, "Vote with your wallet!", but is that really fair? Say I join Valhalla DRO. Ten of my friends and I want to some how influence the direction the DRO takes in the future. But some multi-billionaire jackass wants some flat ground, a fast car, a couple of birds at his side, and to feel the wind in his air. My friends and I on the other hand would rather crush our enemies, see them driven before us, and to hear the lamentations of their women. We're solidly middle class but this guy easily dwarfs our purchasing power. How is that fair? How is that in anyway democratic? The traditionally marginalized suffer in the same way. Under libertarianism the rich will get richer, the poor will get a boot on their neck.

Yes, society as a whole has to change its culture to create a fairer and juster world. The state can't do it all, but it does have an important role to play. We can pass meaningful laws that protect the abused while assuring those who cling to their lovely, unfair beliefs that they will answer for their injustice towards others.

Democracy is evil remember. If he has more money than you then he should have more say than you do, simple as that.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
It's nice to finally have evidence that libertarians are pretty much just Republicans without the courage to admit it.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Caros posted:

Democracy is evil remember. If he has more money than you then he should have more say than you do, simple as that.

I figured that would be the answer I'd get. I just wanted to see if Jrod was capable of empathy, or at least shame.

I've been coming in contact with other libertarians of various stripes so I've been doing some research of my own. I've gone from just disliking libertarianism to being completely repulsed by it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

I figured that would be the answer I'd get. I just wanted to see if Jrod was capable of empathy, or at least shame.

I've been coming in contact with other libertarians of various stripes so I've been doing some research of my own. I've gone from just disliking libertarianism to being completely repulsed by it.

Do recall that jrod has given multiple sloppy blow jobs to a guy who thinks that monarchy is better than democracy and that the "natural social elites" are being kept down by the masses.

Jrodefeld is explicitly antidemocratic. That wasn't a joke that I posted above, more of a paraphrasing

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well yeah, why would you ever want people without hilariously collosal piles of gold to ever have a say in how the police operate and what substances can be dumped in the environment and how much fertilizer can be stored in a warehouse in the middle of town?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Disinterested posted:

My response would be something like.

The argument boils down to this.

Everyone acts for the furtherance of their perceived interests (I mean, nobody goes out there to do something they think and know to be worse for them!)
Voluntarily agreed to trade is always undertaken, therefore, in the expectation of improving interests.

I think the first thing we have to think about is this concept of voluntary. What counts as voluntary? Does pointing a gun to someone's head and making them an offer they can't refuse? What about situations where your offer is for some reason the only eligible one - say, for example, you have a monopoly on a local vital resource (food? water? energy?) of which I am desperately or greatly in need?

Then, a seperate argument to do with the way we perceive our interests. How are interests are perceived by us entirely depends on how we have been socialised. At present, I would argue, many people are socialised in such a way that educates them that certain choices are in their interests when in truth they are not. Is the moral nature of an action undertaken under such a set of conditions unaltered? Is its freedom? I would say the equation is profoundly changed.
You don't need to question perception of interests or monopolies to undermine it. Even if you could make everyone purely super rational, and omniscient, and equal in power, it would still fail because a nash equilibrium =/= optimal outcome for everyone - that's literally the point of the prisoner's dilemma. The commons are undermined unless they are explicitly protected, whether that be air quality, food safety, animal ethics, food + health for the needy etc. Even if you could satisfy those utopian conditions, it doesn't matter, because it still fails. The sum of everyone's local maximized utility does not necessarily lead to the global maximized utility, or, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. In a strictly mathematical sense, even taking into account its starting axioms, it cannot deliver what it promises.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 31, 2015

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Disinterested posted:

If you're being serious about this I am happy to recommend things.

For starters, I don't think you come across as if you have done the own side of your argument due credit. If I was you I would begin by making a serious effort at properly understanding the anglophone liberal tradition of thought.

The optimum way for you to do that, of course, is to read the works of the primary thinkers involved. Here it would be useful but by no means necessary to have read works in the classical tradition. I think it would be best to begin like this:

1. Hobbes
-Leviathan. Buy a good edition (e.g. Cambridge history of political thought blue book, and read the introduction).
-Also you can listen to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p003k9l1

2. Locke
-Two Treatises of Government, particularly the second, and
-A letter concerning toleration.

3. (You can here put Hume if you wish but it's not absolutely obligatory)

4. Adam Smith
You of course should read
-The Wealth of Nations but you must also have read
-The Theory of Moral Sentiments.

5. Jeremy Bentham
Bentham requires you to read around his writing, you don't need all of it at all.
-A Fragment of Government.
-An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation.

6. John Stuart Mill
-On Liberty
-On the Subjection of Women
-Considerations on Representative Government
-Principles of Political Economy

7. Hayek
-The Road to Serfdom
-Individualism and Economic Order
etc.

8. Isiah Berlin
-‘Two Concepts of Liberty’

9. Rawls
-A Theory of Justice
-Political Liberalism

10. Nozick (order for these last two doesn't matter too much)
-Anarchy, State and Utopia and
-The Examined Life

For a very general summary of definitions of liberty in this tradition, I would also go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECiVz_zRj7A. In each case I would also suggest reading the wikipedia for each of them thoroughly and then the Stanford encyclopaedia of philosophy's entries about them, though they are not uniformly good in both cases.

Bold is for things I think you would benefit from most.

I don't exclude continental philosophy here because I think that that is the correct thing to do. I do it because I think you would benefit more from understanding your own tradition better. It's quite apparent to me that you aren't fully on the ball with this stuff.

If you're going to go continental and try to expand your horizons a little bit, I can give a detailed list, but essentially you are going to want to go:

Kant -> Hegel -> Marx -> Nietzsche

And at that point a very wide world is open to you, but I would at least consider after that touching upon:

Lenin & Trotsky
The Frankfurt School (especially Benjamin & Adorno, and then on through to Marcuse and Habermas)

You will also want to read thematically as well as historically, but you probably at this point should acquire a rounder understanding of the state, including Weber etc.

What I think you'll find is that people like Rothbard have usually taken a pretty low road philosophically or have bastardised other thinkers in a very ineffective way, which is why they're not particularly highly thought of as intellectuals. There are more effective ways to make the kind of arguments you make in these thinkers than in those you rely upon (for example, Nozick's use of the non-aggression principle is very effective; Mill has probably the best articulated idea of 'interference'.)

Ya - I was taught by Quentin Skinner who is the person who writes most prolifically, probably, about the history of Hobbes's thought. Though Hobbes's period really never was my bag.

L. Foisneau, ‘Omnipotence, necessity and sovereignty’, in P. Springborg ed., The Cambridge Companion to Hobbes’s Leviathan (2007)

Appears to be on the reading lists these days and though I haven't read it, may be on your point here as well.

While I certainly appreciate the recommendations, I think you may have misunderstood what I was requesting. My argument, to put it bluntly, is that libertarian market anarchism is the best and most morally justified way of organizing society. Since you all object, I was hoping for a more targeted refutation of liberalism.

I've heard it said a few times in this thread that I am not doing my own tradition justice. Other times it has been claimed that, while there are indeed deep and serious thinkers who are libertarians, or the intellectual forefathers of libertarian thought, I instead rely on "unserious" people like Rothbard, Walter Block, and Ron Paul.

The very fact that you have recommended books by John Locke, Adam Smith, Frederick Hayek and Robert Nozick (many of whose work I have read) seems to indicate that you consider them serious thinkers who have made significant contributions to economics, political theory and philosophy.

I don't want to put words in your mouth. On forums such as this it becomes difficult to recall which individual posters have claimed which things. Nevertheless I recall people wondering why I don't quote "respectable" people like Nozick rather than relying on cranks like Rothbard and Block. This odd dichotomy that the left sometimes makes between those libertarian or broadly-speaking free market advocates who are respectable versus fringe and loony is odd, especially when the arguments offered are so similar.

Tom Woods often quips about the 3x5 card of "allowable opinion". It is a corny line but one with undeniable truth to it. There are intellectuals who have made arguments that I find reprehensible yet I don't feel any compulsion to "banish" them from respectable society if they have contributed significantly to any field of study. Yet this tendency to make outcasts of certain people for no other apparent reason than they strayed too far out of the mainstream is troubling to say the least.

Frederick Hayek is respectable. We can even award him the Nobel Prize. Ludwig von Mises,. his teacher, is not respectable even though he pioneered the work that Hayek won the Nobel Prize for.

Robert Nozick is respectable but Rothbard is not respectable, even though Nozick was introduced to libertarianism and persuaded largely due to the work of Rothbard.

This goes on and on and on.

Again, I appreciate the suggestions but I am not looking for suggestions about libertarian literature at the moment. Rather I would like recommendations of the work that best sums up "YOUR" political views and/or effectively dismantles the libertarian argument. It's always valuable to be familiar with opposing points of view. I'm sure I have cited an awful lot more books and intellectuals who I feel have made persuasive points that defend my position than have any of you.

And, to the extent that you feel I have sold my own position short, I'd appreciate a fuller explanation. What arguments that Nozick, for example, makes do you think are superior or more clarifying than the sort I have relied upon?

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Caros posted:

Its cheaper than hiring a $500 an hour mistress to dominate the poo poo out of your obvious masochistic needs? Moreover, its you. You are the spectacle.

You have "Reset" probably a dozen times or more in the years you have been coming here. You come back and go "I don't want to talk about X, lets talk about Y!" and people poo poo all over Y before you inevitably decide to switch to Z, or more likely to X. X in this example is how racist as gently caress most of your idols are. (Countdown to "They aren't racist blowup in 5... 4.... 3...)

Way to come back an insult the people in this thread in your first two paragraphs by the way. I'm sure this time our ignorant selves will see your greatness.

I bet you if I went back through the thread I could find multiple examples of you saying how much you love capitalism and think it is the best thing ever. But I can't be assed to. You win this round Jrod :argh:

Are we teaching like... Social Studies 8 in this thread or something? Do you not think we understand the loving definition of capitalism? Seriously Jrod, why are these words here? You could eliminate this entire section of your treatise and it wouldn't really make much of a different?

Also, LOL @ JUST private property rights. I'm going to go on a bit of a tangent here, but did you see the recent second interview between Walter Block and Sam Seder? If not, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulMRmIALBX8

One of the really great parts of this interview involves when Sam asks Walter how they came by their definition of property rights. Walter Block is trying to argue that Naitive Americans would only be entitled to perhaps a couple percent of the US because they couldn't have homesteaded the entire USA, and Sam is asking him for how he defines homesteaded. Its actually a really telling argument because the end result is... whatever the gently caress they feel like.

Your suggestion of JUST property rights is utterly pointless because your definition of how those property rights are derived is utterly arbitrary. If I dig a hold in the ground and jam my dick in it have I 'cultivated' the land or whatever bullshit you think I need to do? More realistically lets say I plant one olive tree. Does that mean I own that acre of land? Or Twenty acres? Or do I just own the tree itself? Do I own the ground under the tree? The actual fact of the matter isn't important because what is actually crucial in this discussion is the fact that no matter what methodology you are using to derive property rights, its based entirely upon subjective opinion, usually an opinion that happens to coincide with what is best for you.

There is no such thing as JUST property rights because property rights are a hairless monkey's way of stifling conflict by way of agreement, not some universal moral standard. My version of taxation and statehood is just as valid as your dick holes in the ground, its just mine is accepted by enough people to be the dominant system.

What is this bullshit about a priori human action doing here? Get the gently caress out of my house a priori!

Seriously, what the gently caress are you even talking about? This word soup makes no sense to me. Voluntarily agreed to economic trade is expected by all parties participating of their own volition to improve their well being? What? Is that a sentence? Is that even english? Am I going insane? It seems to me what you are saying is "People agree to voluntarily trade to improve their own well being" which in no way equates to what I think you mean "People will always trade fairly so we can't single out capitalists".

And your proof of this is...? Where? Up your rear end? Oh that makes sense then.

I mean I think what you are saying is that most rich people like to try and engage in regulatory capture to protect their business interests. Thats fair enough I suppose, though I'd argue that in the absense of government they'd simply engage in other sort of captures such as "Kidnapping and beating my competitor's daughter with a led pipe until they agree to sell" as was so popular in the gilded age but, meh.

... Yeah no. Get hosed. You are straight up making things up here unless your definition of 'state' is that of a modern nation. History tells us that people banded together in communities that were effectively small states because they understood the inherent advantages involved in having a society. True the feudal period largely involved strong men such as you are suggesting but modern states largely arise out of popular will, what with the whole 'democracy' thing that has been all the rage for the last few years.

What is your point? Yes a lovely totalitarian society that has private ownership of wealth is capitalist, just like a lovely libertarian 'utopia' is a capitalist society. Both are really lovely because capitalism is lovely, and on top of that both are lovely for other reasons (Brutal government/Total lack of societal protections)

That's nice.

As another poster pointed out, do you think that we will jump on libertarianism's dick because you describe it as leftism? Or that you are somehow better because you are more left than us? This may surprise you but unlike you we are not defined by the labels we give ourselves. I don't wake up shivering in the night worried I might not one day be a socialist, and the only reason I define myself as left at all is that it is a useful descriptor when I attempt to explain my politics to someone. No one gives a poo poo about how you define yourself, we care about your ideas and your ideas are awful.

Oh, only. Whew.

Do you seriously not see a problem with saying "Oh just listen to this hour long rambling of your ideological opponent to get sort of an idea of the point I am failing to get across. Small quote Jrod, that will actually bolster your idea, I'm not here to argue with a dead man.

Uh... the socialists of the past and present do support those goals. And the socialists of the past and present did a pretty bang up job of actually working to achieve those goals. By contrast the libertarians of the past and present have actively attacked the entivornment, banking regulation, labor regulation, and so forth. Also you said protecting the environment twice and that is funny to me.

Rothbard also called for a free market in human children. Forgive me if I do not give even a single gently caress what Murray Rothbard thinks about anything.

... what is the point of this? You don't follow up on it in your next paragraph. Do you think we care what a couple of centuries dead philosophers thought about your ideology, an ideology that didn't' actually take shape until the 1960's?

The state is also Social Security, and Healthcare, and roads, and food safety, and research and so very much more. But no go on talking about how the only thing the state does is violence, I enjoy watching you cry.

Pictured: JRodefeld

Neither of these are things anyone here supports. I'm glad we agree this is dumb.

Decades of evidence to the contrary? Really? You might want to get on that and call my doctor yesterday because that fucker has been severely undercharging me for thirty one years. I am a little worried because if people catch on then my parents in law might realize that the CPP (Canada Pension Plan) cheques they have been getting shouldn't be cashed even though they are their sole source of income.

Seriously Jrod, its poo poo like this that just makes you seem pathetic. You can make the argument than these could be done better through the private market place, but to pretend that the state can't provide universal healthcare when Every major first world country provides UHC at a lower cost and equal efficiency as the United States is absurd. You look like some sort of autistic man child who can't tell the difference between fact and fiction anymore.

As Rothbard also said:

"4. Take Back the Streets: Crush Criminals. And by this I mean, of course, not "white collar criminals" or "inside traders" but violent street criminals – robbers, muggers, rapists, murderers. Cops must be unleashed, and allowed to administer instant punishment, subject of course to liability when they are in error."

Explain to me again why Rothbard thinks Judge Dredd is a role model rather than a cautionary tale?

Really? The reasons are counfounding to you? Here, let me reiterate them and lets see if you pick up on it:

It wasn't just that he was not a libertarian, it was that he was actively opposed to your ideology. It is that he threatened reason magazine with legal action for calling him a libertarian and stated that in no uncertain terms should his thoughts on the matter ever be used to lend credence to your ideology. The man would literally punch you in the face and explain to you in careful detail why and how you are misusing your work were he still alive. And yet somehow this confounds you?

The idea that anti-trust legislation was enacted at the behest of private industry to assist with monopolization is so... :psyduck: that I can't even... my brain has no words.

Jrod, it was not illegal to run a monopolistic cartel before Sherman Anti-trust. That was the loving point of it.

Jesus christ. You know nothing, Jrod. Social Security: Entrenching the Power of Capitalists Everywhere

They also formed an alliance with white supremacists if you will recall your history. Oh wait, am I not supposed to talk abou that?

You are aware that the libertarian movement's first big think tank FEE was itself funded as a PR project by military industrial and other corporate lobbying firms right? The peopel who coined the loving term "Libertarianism" were founded by.. well you know I'll let the quote speak for itself:

I recommend reading the whole article, even though it amuses me that you think your ideology somehow didn't spring from the loins of big business.

They also outnumber AnCaps by several orders of magnitude. You are the fringe subset of a fringe ideology. Sucks doesn't it?

#Freedmarket

Markets as we know them would not function in absence of the state and associated things like law enforcement, interstate commerce etc. Thanks for playing tho!

Nope.

I love it when you throw all these names at us like you think we give a gently caress who you are talking about. I recognize four names from that list and I've been debating with libertarians for half a decade and was a libertarian myself for years before that. No one gives a poo poo.

Lol, you can't even come up with your own bullshit buzz word and had to steal Freed Markets from Gary Chartier.

Actually judging from the title of that article I sort of feel like you are just baby birding this essay back to us. Do you ever have any original ideas of your own? Or do you just read something from some libertarian you worship and go "This is my new ideology!" I ask because I recall about four or five times when you've done poo poo like this, like when you were on that shtick with Hans Hermann Hoppe and you were talking about Forced Integration after reading it in one of his essays without realizing that what he was talking about was how great segregation was.

I'm going to be honest with you Jrod. I'm not reading any of that poo poo.

No I'd believe most of them are pretty close if they're on your crazy list.

Honest question Jrod, but did you just read this book? Because I swear to god it feels to me like I know the reason to your question above at last. Why are you here? Well you just read this book about Markets Not Capitalism and have decided to come here and tell us all about it.

Do you really think this? I've talked to you since like... November 2013 at least, probably way longer. Do you really think that we don't understand what you are selling? Do you really think we just don't understand your points and that if you only twist them and redefine them this way, or that way that we'll go "Ohhhh, that state is violence. Duh. Down with Statism!"

I liked you better when you were gone and I could pretend that you had seen the light and were living a happy life free of this garbage. :sigh:

With you? I really doubt it at this point but who knows.

I won't respond point by point here but I want to say a few general things about what you have said. In the first place, you read my last post without the slightest intention to comprehend what I was trying to say. I am trying to point out that the tradition of liberalism, of natural rights theory, of liberty and the sorts of argument propounded by modern libertarian thinkers is far more broad and sweeping than you are acknowledging. Liberalism, as a modern tradition, goes back at least 400 years with roots that go back even further. I am expressing the historical reality that, prior to the "Progressive Era" at the start of the 20th Century, proponents of market anarchism and liberalism articulated their views quite differently than do many modern libertarians. Being opposed to the State and in favor of markets did not equate to support for business power or corporate dominance as many in the mainstream left today would claim.

You yourself claimed that Gary Chartier was "one of the good ones" when it came to libertarianism because his values were more similar to your own, in contrast to those who you probably think are reactionary. I feel that Chartier and Richman and many others are doing nobel work in resurrecting the forgotten tradition of anarchism and anti-capitalist free markets. Some term this "left-libertarianism".

Much of this is about semantics but much of it is not. I think it would be a very interesting discussion if you would actually take a few minutes to scan some of the articles I posted or listen to a few of the chapters I selected from the "Markets not Capitalism" book and respond to the arguments contained.

In fact, I'd be curious to get your reaction to the "left-libertarian" perspective at large. For that matter, I'd be curious of your view of the mutualists and other flavors of anarchist such as Proudhon. I think this would be interesting.

I really cannot believe that you posted a link to an AlterNet article. Alternet is akin to Salon in that they seem to specialize in cranking out uninformed and largely unsubstantiated smears of libertarianism.

The fact that you posted this article (which I did read by the way) shows me how little you understood the point I was trying to get across. The narrative the left desperately wants to promote is that libertarianism is a modern aberration that was conceived by a handful of ultra rich financiers simply because it benefited their own pocketbook. Corporations love libertarianism, so the mythology goes, and if they had their way, they would destroy the State entirely and we'd all be subjugated at the feet of a small handful of monopolists without the State to protect us.

It is this mythology that people like Chartier and his fellow left-libertarians are desperately trying to dislodge from the minds of the mainstream left. The reality of freed markets is considerably different from what you think. As opposed to thin libertarians who more heavily rely on their articulation of first principles, and the primacy of the individual and non-aggression, left-libertarians spend a lot more time explaining the practical effects of genuinely freed markets on pollution, on the labor movement, on the environment and things of that nature.

Leftist movements would be much more successful if they ceased relying on political action and instead relied on mass movements to remove artificial privilege provided by State enforced law. In short this means dismantling the State and allowing the market to "eat the rich" and provide for social justice and equality.

I want to say something else about Gabrielle Kolko. You again misunderstood why I was quoting him. I never claimed he was a libertarian or agreed with myself, Rothbard or anyone else. But do you honestly not understand the difference between the role of a political theorist and a historian? Kolko is a historian. His book "The Triumph of Capitalism" is a work of revisionist history that seeks to explain how the conventional account of the Progressive Era is entirely backwards and misleading. It is about historical fact, about motivations and about correcting the record.

In this area, libertarians have been arguing the exact same thing. The institutions and policies enacted during that time were agitated for by big business interests. The Progressive Revolution, therefore, was not a leftist revolution in favor of equity for the working class or government reigning in the excesses of business greed. On the contrary, certain business leaders wanted to consolidate and protect their profits that they earned on the market and turned to government in order to make that happen.

That is the position that libertarians have taken. And it is one that Kolko also eloquently defends in his great work.

What the gently caress does in matter if Kolko agrees with libertarians on any other issue? Sure Kolko doesn't believe in the "free market" as understood by libertarians. And no doubt he was pissed off when Reason erroneously called him a "libertarian". He had every right to be.

If I make a claim about a historical event, then surely you would want some evidence to support the assertion. What I am arguing is that Kolko's "The Triumph of Conservatism" provides that evidence for this specific assertion as well as any historical work that has been published.

How can these be so confusing to you? The work of a historian is not to pontificate on what their ideal society ought to be, but to articulate and/or correct the historical record by recounting facts about historical events.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Caros posted:

I think you have it wrong to be honest. As I mentioned in my post above, I don't think Jrodefeld actually changed his opinion on capitalism so much as he was told to change it. His entire post today can be traced back entirely to the section at the end where he tries to get us to go and read "Markets not Capitalism". Jrodefeld doesn't like the word capitalism now because he read a book that told him that Capitalism is bad and what he should actually be free markets. No, wait. Freed Markets.

He is a parrot. Jrodefeld read this book and is now squawking it back at us as if it will somehow get us to change our minds.

Edit: I've been meaning to ask Jrodefeld, what are you now? A voluntarist? Because I suspect you probably don't identify as an Anarcho-Capitalist like you used to. :)

How long ago has it been that I linked to Sheldon Richman's "Free Market Anti-Capitalism, The Unknown Ideal"? This isn't some new idea. I have no problem with the word capitalism as it is used between libertarians, because we know what it means. I don't think it is particularly useful and maybe a detriment when speaking to anyone else.

I guess I should be offended that you deemed to insult me with the label "parrot"? Was that the intended effect? I read Markets Not Capitalism several months ago, in fact, but I have read the work of Chartier and Richman for many years now and I have been aware of their arguments.

I am attempting to get you to understand the breadth of libertarian thought though. I don't particularly recall you responding to the arguments of people like Chartier and Richman. What I have come to realize is that it is far too convenient for you to discount the arguments of people like Rothbard. You've been fully convinced that the modern libertarian movement is a bought and paid for racket created by billionaires to benefit them, with deep strains of racism and sexism throughout.

Was it you who said something to the effect of "What do I care about anything Rothbard has to say? He once said that parents have the right to let their child starve."

This is clearly a facetious argument since whatever Rothbard's views on another topic, it doesn't invalidate the argument at hand.

You'd probably be forced to confront the arguments rather than blather on about how racist and/or sexist the proponents are with Chartier and Richman.

And what exactly is wrong with "parroting" an argument that I find persuasive? I read a book that I thought was informative and persuasive and I take what I consider the best parts of the argument and use it in my own defenses of the market.

How, pray tell, do you come to your understanding of political issues? I doubt very much you sit in isolation and come up with every thing you believe on your own.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Who What Now posted:

jrod didn't even come to libertarianism on his own, he became one because his mom was one. Dude hasn't had an original thought since before middle school, which coincidentally might have been when he first registered here.

Where did I say that? This is a libelous statement if there ever was one.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

VitalSigns posted:

Well this isn't a priori at all. In fact, I can think of examples that contradict it just off the top of my head.

For example 401ks: "Fidelity, a Vanguard competitor, says 76 percent of 20- to 24-year-old workers stay in its opt-out plans, compared with 20 percent who sign up for opt-in plans. Getting young people in early means they are not 'waiting until 35 or 40 with mortgages, so they start saving late and too little,' says Combs." People engage in economic transactions that literally leave free money (the employer match) on the table, based on whether they have to fill out a form to get into a plan, or whether enrollment is automatic and they have to fill out a form to decline. If they were making their decision to invest in a 401k based on whether they expect it to improve their well-being, then whether they have to opt out or opt in shouldn't matter. But it does.

What about the decision to voluntarily respect property rights in a libertopia without a fundamental right of public access? A company could buy all the roads leading into and out of my subdivision so we have no way to leave without trespassing. Then they could charge absurd prices or just decide they don't like me personally and say "we refuse to serve you with our roads because you called our CEO a greedy blood-sucking lamprey in the press. Do not aggress against us by stepping onto our roads". If I voluntarily agree to do this, I would expect to be materially worse off than if I claimed to have a right of public access and trespassed to get to the grocery store anyway.

Ooh, here's one. Private entrepreneurs could go to another continent and kidnap people or pay locals to kidnap them, then take them to a new country and sell them to other people who will grow rich off their forced labor on farms that were stolen from the former inhabitants. Then 200 years later their descendants could inherit all that wealth and land, and then offer the descendants of the dispossessed or enslaved the chance to voluntarily sharecrop under terms that are guaranteed to drive them into debt. And then at this point we could look at only the last link in the chain and say "ah they must be sharecropping because it makes them better off, what a noble institution this must be, indeed was fated to be so a priori"

You misunderstand the argument. The nature of a voluntary economic transaction is that both participants anticipate being made better off by the transaction. How often when you are out shopping are you expecting to be made worse off by paying for items? Never. You buy food because you value food more than the money it takes to buy it.

Value is subjective. Value is not based upon the labor used to produce something, as the Marxists erroneously claimed, but exists only in the minds of individual economic actors. People who act have value scales and priorities. People prefer eating and drinking over frivolous activities like seeing a movie. But it remains true that when we act voluntarily to make an economic transaction, we are expressing that we prefer the choice we made and the value we expect to receive more than the cost to us to make the transaction.

Explaining that people make mistakes and end up worse off because of their decisions doesn't refute this principle. People still expected to be made better off in the moment than any other alternative action they could have taken instead. They still preferred the product they bought over the money they had to spend. The still preferred the job they took over any other job opportunities they had instead.

This is only an a priori truth about action if the action is being made without direct coercion. If people have choices, then the action they chose meant that they expressed their value preferences and expected to be made better off through that choice in comparison to any competing available choice.

If this is still confusing to you, then tell me what you don't understand and I'll expand on my remarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

VitalSigns posted:

Which makes it especially :psyduck: that he relies on Von Mises' argument in Human Action as the basis for his moral and economic belief systems.

...an argument that explicitly rejects natural law and deontological ethics as arbitrary and circular, and asserts that only utilitarian considerations can justify our moral rules of right and wrong.

Straight-up, jrodefeld, have you ever actually read Human Action in its entirety, or merely excerpts and bastardizations of it from Rothbard essays? Because if you're looking for a reading list and you haven't read Human Action, you should probably do that before relying on bits and pieces of it or trying to convince others with it.

I know that Mises was a utilitarian. Where did I ever say otherwise? And are you honestly implying that I can't be a "real" libertarian if I don't subscribe wholesale to everything that Mises ever wrote?

I have to correct you in that I don't rely on "Human Action" as a basis for any moral system. Economics is not a normative discipline. "Human Action" is a book that outlines the scope of economics, a method of understanding the causes and effects of human interaction on a society-wide scale. Austrian economics is not synonymous with libertarianism either. Ethics and normative considerations are the purview of political philosophy and not of economics.

And no, I haven't read "Human Action" in its entirety. Have you?

I have to mention though, that Mises' Utilitarianism was quite different than the sort of utilitarianism propounded on by most throughout history.

As Roderick Long puts it:

quote:

You might think that if someone says economics implies utilitarianism, it sounds like they think that economics implies a positive ethical theory — because we usually think of utilitarianism as a particular ethical theory, a theory that says that certain things are objectively good. The standard versions of utilitarianism, like John Stuart Mill's version, assert that a certain goal — human welfare, happiness, pleasure, satisfaction — is intrinsically valuable and worth pursuing, objectively so. And then our job is to pursue it.

Clearly Mises can't mean that. Since Mises thinks that there are no objective values, when Mises embraces utilitarianism he can't be embracing the view that human welfare is an objective value. What Mises means by "utilitarianism" is a little bit different from the kind of utilitarianism that people like John Stuart Mill advocate. By "utilitarianism" Mises means something like simply giving people advice about how to achieve the goals they already have. So you're not necessarily endorsing their goals, but utilitarianism says that really the only real role for any kind of evaluation is simply to talk about means to ends, because you can't evaluate the ends.

Mises was a pioneer in so many ways. Most libertarians who followed him have largely abandoned his utilitarianism as inadequate.

There are certainly libertarians who embrace utilitarian arguments. But, since Value is Subjective, like Mises said, "measuring" utility in the way that most utilitarians suggest, is impossible. It is more accurate to say that Mises' contributions to libertarianism were merely incomplete rather than objectively wrong from the standpoint of a deontologist. His scope was merely the study of human action and its effects, rather than judging the outcomes of those actions.